AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-04-16, 07:45   Link #861
totoum
Oppai warrior
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
Honoring dead people is all well and good, but he's not going to achieve a whole lot when the current methodology doesn't work at all.
As jeroz said,watch the OP,you'll see how it works.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 08:00   Link #862
Iron Maw
The Black Wing
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tougarashi View Post
I don't think that Mikasa is that smart and rational. What she think of all things is to survive. She will fight to protect Eren and Armin. That's what Eren's mom told her to do so and she will keep doing it. Mikasa will be an elder-sister and Armin will be a younger brother to Eren. That's why when I saw Armin came back with breads for Eren and Mikasa, I found him cute. I found him like a younger brother who is caring about his brother and sister in a hard time.
Actually, I have the feeling that Mikasa would done this anyway because even before the attack she was very protective of him. For example, remember in episode 1 when at dinner she blurted out Eren's desire to enlist in the Recon Corps? It's pretty obvious Mikasa did that because she feared the the high possibly of Eren not coming back and would rather betray him to for the sake of his survival in that case. Even at the end of 2nd episode where Mikasa changes her mind, her bigger priority is likely directed at Eren's well being rather than revenge.

Their mothers last words simply reinforced what already there IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
Honoring dead people is all well and good, but he's not going to achieve a whole lot when the current methodology doesn't work at all. In other words, unless Eren is some kind of super soldier, he's just going to end up just like the rest doing the same old thing that doesn't work: dead and having nothing to show for it.
There is nothing shows that humans don't have a method of fighting Titans, only that is a high causality rate in conflict with them.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 08:46   Link #863
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Actually, I have the feeling that Mikasa would done this anyway because even before the attack she was very protective of him. For example, remember in episode 1 when at dinner she blurted out Eren's desire to enlist in the Recon Corps? It's pretty obvious Mikasa did that because she feared the the high possibly of Eren not coming back and would rather betray him to for the sake of his survival in that case. Even at the end of 2nd episode where Mikasa changes her mind, her bigger priority is likely directed at Eren's well being rather than revenge.

Their mothers last words simply reinforced what already there IMO.


There is nothing shows that humans don't have a method of fighting Titans, only that is a high causality rate in conflict with them.
I agreed. What I think is that Mikasa was against Eren's idea of enlisting in the Recon Corps at first because he doesn't have a proper reason to do join the army. But when he lost his mom, Mikasa related to his loss and jumped into the bandwagon.
__________________
Currently watching previous season anime: Chihayafuru 2

Current Season animes: Shingeki no Kyojin, Inu to Hasmi wa Tsukai yo
Tougarashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 09:28   Link #864
Gundamx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tougarashi View Post
I agreed. What I think is that Mikasa was against Eren's idea of enlisting in the Recon Corps at first because he doesn't have a proper reason to do join the army. But when he lost his mom, Mikasa related to his loss and jumped into the bandwagon.
nah, it because anyone join = die ( at least 90% of them)

And does Mikasa look like someone who will protect Eren with her own life just because his mother ask her for it?
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 09:39   Link #865
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
nah, it because anyone join = die ( at least 90% of them)

And does Mikasa look like someone who will protect Eren with her own life just because his mother ask her for it?
What I meant was that Eren lost his mother and it stir the rage inside him like fire everyday. Technically he's suffering until he could join the army and butcher the giant with his own hands. That's what Mikasa can relate to. And on the top of that Eren's mother is not just a mom waiting for them in home. She's very well dead and her wish became the last wish of the dead. So in order to stop Eren's suffering, in order to fulfill the dead of Eren's late mother and on the top of the in order to protect Eren like she always do, she joined the army.
__________________
Currently watching previous season anime: Chihayafuru 2

Current Season animes: Shingeki no Kyojin, Inu to Hasmi wa Tsukai yo
Tougarashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 09:51   Link #866
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Mikasa isn't the kind of person who cares about things like "the future of humanity", vengeance or other ideals.
She only changed her mind because she realized that living a simple life inside the walls is no longer an option, not to mention the fact that she can no longer prevent Eren from enlisting in the military in any way since his mother died.

There's no telling when another titan attack will happen, and there's no telling when the government will send more civilians to the slaughter. Before Mikasa could think that being a civilian was the safest option to survive, but now that she and Eren are both refugees and that they are only still alive because they were too young to become Titan's fodder, can she still believe that?
Becoming a soldier herself and learning how to fight is the most sensible option at this point. At the very least they won't have to worry about food and money.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 10:07   Link #867
Anime Online
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
There is nothing shows that humans don't have a method of fighting Titans, only that is a high causality rate in conflict with them.

There's no present information to show the humans are capable of putting up any kind of fight. Are you quoting from the manga material? In Episode 1, when the mother of the dead soldier asked if her son helped humanity fight back, the scout leader lamented they never learned a thing. In other words, their mission was a complete failure.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 10:30   Link #868
totoum
Oppai warrior
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
In Episode 1, when the mother of the dead soldier asked if her son helped humanity fight back, the scout leader lamented they never learned a thing.
I'm going on based the translation of ep1 by the french licensor so might be different from yours ,he said that they failed to learn a single thing about their true nature/where they come from.

Just because they still have no idea where they came from doesn't mean they have no idea on how to kill one.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 10:39   Link #869
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
There's no present information to show the humans are capable of putting up any kind of fight. Are you quoting from the manga material? In Episode 1, when the mother of the dead soldier asked if her son helped humanity fight back, the scout leader lamented they never learned a thing. In other words, their mission was a complete failure.
Well, the question you should ask yourself is "Why would they create such complicated machinery and those blades if they were never proven to be effective in any way against Titans? Why not just using cannons or other long range weapons and stay the hell out? Who the hell even thought about using blades against titans when they clearly have firearms technology available?"

Isn't it absolutely unthinkable that the government would spend such a huge amount of money to provide such equipment to every single soldier (even the corps that never saw a titan in 100 years) if there was no proof whatsoever of their usefulness?
Isn't it more rational to assume that they work and that we simply haven't reached the part where they show us how?
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 10:47   Link #870
hero147
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
There's no present information to show the humans are capable of putting up any kind of fight. Are you quoting from the manga material? In Episode 1, when the mother of the dead soldier asked if her son helped humanity fight back, the scout leader lamented they never learned a thing. In other words, their mission was a complete failure.
I think they do. Cannons appear to be effective for the smaller titans while the back of the neck seems to be a weakness for all titans (since they bleed there as shown in the opening and opening scene of the series).
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 11:04   Link #871
sikvod00
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Homestead, FL
Age: 27
Misaka's relationship with Eren would make for some interesting fanfiction. Who wanted want an overprotective hottie guarding your ass?
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 11:06   Link #872
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Well, the question you should ask yourself is "Why would they create such complicated machinery and those blades if they were never proven to be effective in any way against Titans? Why not just using cannons or other long range weapons and stay the hell out? Who the hell even thought about using blades against titans when they clearly have firearms technology available?"
From what I saw in the ep 2, I doubt the cannon ball contained explosives at all. And as for the blades, I think they are very effective in the closed combat since it is not possible to effectively mobilized the cannon and on the top of that the efficiency of cannon become zero when the target is moving. Instead of the bayonets that are deployed in the closed combat in today's war, they employed blades to cut down neck of giants IMO.
__________________
Currently watching previous season anime: Chihayafuru 2

Current Season animes: Shingeki no Kyojin, Inu to Hasmi wa Tsukai yo
Tougarashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 11:38   Link #873
Gundamx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
if you want to to know if the blade is useful or not >>> re-watch the op
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 11:44   Link #874
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
Honoring dead people is all well and good, but he's not going to achieve a whole lot when the current methodology doesn't work at all. In other words, unless Eren is some kind of super soldier, he's just going to end up just like the rest doing the same old thing that doesn't work: dead and having nothing to show for it.

Well, he's probably going to become some kind of super soldier anyway. His dad probably gave him some Captain America super soldier serum. Can it be mere coincidence that, in the same episode he recalls some bad memories about getting needle shots from his deranged-sounding doctor dad, he decides to become a soldier? Yeah, seen that coming a mile away. And that key around his neck? Yes, it'll probably unlock some hidden lab with a newly-finished-before-his-dad-died anti-Titan nuclear bomb device.
I was kinda surprised at Eren's reaction, TBH. I thought he'd be all "Titan-killing juice? Pump me full of it."
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 11:52   Link #875
LKK
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Age: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I was kinda surprised at Eren's reaction, TBH. I thought he'd be all "Titan-killing juice? Pump me full of it."
Eren strikes me as one of those "I can do it all by myself! I don't need any help from that ability-enhancing voodoo stuff!" type of heroes.
__________________

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 12:03   Link #876
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tougarashi View Post
From what I saw in the ep 2, I doubt the cannon ball contained explosives at all.
Why would you even wonder that? That's not how cannons ever worked.
The way cannons work and firearms in general work is by using explosives to propel the projectiles. You don't put explosives on the projectiles themselves.

The kinetic force alone is more than enough to create devastating damage. There doesn't seem to be any relevant difference between medieval-renaissance cannons and the cannons shown in this anime.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 12:16   Link #877
takai
Easy Muffin
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Age: 21
The pacing a lot slower than I'd like it to be. Sort of felt like episode 2 drug out.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 12:37   Link #878
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Why would you even wonder that? That's not how cannons ever worked.
The way cannons work and firearms in general work is by using explosives to propel the projectiles. You don't put explosives on the projectiles themselves.

The kinetic force alone is more than enough to create devastating damage. There doesn't seem to be any relevant difference between medieval-renaissance cannons and the cannons shown in this anime.
I really appreciate your detail explanation on cannon ball. I always thought that explosives are put in the projectile. Now I can see it clearly. Thank you.
__________________
Currently watching previous season anime: Chihayafuru 2

Current Season animes: Shingeki no Kyojin, Inu to Hasmi wa Tsukai yo
Tougarashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 12:47   Link #879
Accelolita_
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 24
I liked both episode 1 and 2. Even though episode 2 was kinda slow paced I guess it's necessary and I didn't dislike it.
I'm actually very glad that they're showing the training at the beginning. I sometimes got very confused in the manga when there was a flashback so suddenly
Also I think it's nicer to show everyone since you grow more on them
Spoiler for Manga-Spoiler-ish, don't read if you don't want to get spoiled!:


Can't wait to see more of Armin and Jean.
Too bad I have to wait quite a lot until I'll get to see Levi/Revaille/whatever the official spelling is, I guess

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2013-04-16 at 15:07.
Accelolita_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 12:52   Link #880
musouka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I was kinda surprised at Eren's reaction, TBH. I thought he'd be all "Titan-killing juice? Pump me full of it."
It's not as though his dad was doing a lot of explaining, from what we could see. He wasn't doing much of anything aside from acting crazy and trying to shove a huge syringe in his arm.
__________________
雨の日も晴れの日も
いつの日も愛してた
それだけは 今もまだ
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, dystopian, fantasy, post-apocalyptic, shounen, terror, tragedy, violence

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.