AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-04-11, 14:54   Link #381
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Not quite; Persona 4 Arena and Persona 4 Golden were released very close together (July 2012 and June 2012 respectively), but the Persona 4 anime preceded them by a fair amount since it started October 2011.
The anime was still promotion for Arena and Golden. They were all announced at around the same time.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 14:58   Link #382
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 26
Ah, I see.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 15:32   Link #383
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
The second episode appears to be more about exposition than anything else.

Although even with exposition, the way the story works, you still don't understand very much. What are the Septentriones? Why are there six days left? What does Yamato mean when he says the world will end? The nature of the story means that the answers to questions such as these will be revealed rather slowly. So if people view the second episode as a bit boring, I can understand that.

That being said, I'd say keep to your rule of three. The first episode is meant to draw people in, the second usually explains a bit about the setting (but as I explained before, given the nature of the story, this is kind of hard to do), the third episode would supposedly set the stage for most of the story. So I advise to stay your decision to drop it or stick around until at least the third episode.

My personal opinion.. While I'm still excited, I'm getting kind of worried whether it's even possible to correctly adapt this game into an anime. But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised in the long run. It's not a long series, and I do kind of squeal out of fanboyism, and Io is so very much mai waifu, so.... I'll probably end up sticking around 'til the end.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 15:43   Link #384
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Hi Suwabe Junichi!

*ahem*

Exposition plus plot set-up episode, but at least it looked pretty - I really like the visuals and designs in this series. There's not much to say about it otherwise, though... it went through the necessary motions, the actual story will start in ep 3. Oh well, I can wait a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Although even with exposition, the way the story works, you still don't understand very much. What are the Septentriones? Why are there six days left? What does Yamato mean when he says the world will end?
TBH I never understand it when people get hung up on things like this. The Septentrion are the bad guys, there are 6 days left because the boss said so, and the world will end which is bad... I think this is enough to understand what's going on for the moment, and then we'll get clarifications and explanations in time. (Though to be fair my first question would've been "why 6 days?" but eh, if it's a secret then it's a secret.)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 15:44   Link #385
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Not quite; Persona 4 Arena and Persona 4 Golden were released very close together (July 2012 and June 2012 respectively), but the Persona 4 anime preceded them by a fair amount since it started October 2011.
It's close enough for horseshoes, it's close enough for hand grenades, and it's close enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Although even with exposition, the way the story works, you still don't understand very much. What are the Septentriones? Why are there six days left? What does Yamato mean when he says the world will end? The nature of the story means that the answers to questions such as these will be revealed rather slowly. So if people view the second episode as a bit boring, I can understand that.
I haven't reached the explanation in the game, but it's pretty obvious given what happened in Devil Survivor 1. And really it shouldn't be too unexpected even if you've never played one of these games.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 15:57   Link #386
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
It's not really a secret: it's more like Yamato is an elitist who doesn't think it's worth sharing information to commoners he thinks are nothing more than peons
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 16:00   Link #387
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I haven't reached the explanation in the game, but it's pretty obvious given what happened in Devil Survivor 1. And really it shouldn't be too unexpected even if you've never played one of these games.
Um... If you're expecting something that's even remotely resembling a carbon copy of DeSu1, then you're going to be somewhat disappointed. It shares some of the same themes but the story plays out rather differently.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 16:19   Link #388
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Episode 2 provided more questions than answers, but that's fine for now. We're only at the very beginning of the series after all. Answers will come in due time. What matters is that the protagonists have been given a clear goal. I'm glad they didn't waste too much time making up their mind and have already joined the good guys (or are they?).
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 17:54   Link #389
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
The hell are they doing with Joe? I have no doubt he'll be appearing since he's in the OP and ED, but the fact that he hasn't appeared yet when he's one of your first party members after Io and Daichi is very puzzling to me.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 18:50   Link #390
ChampDream
Alive
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: I'm lost
Byakko for the win!
Hibiki has found his reason to fight and his friends are supporting him.
now I only wonder if JP are really the good guys?
__________________
ChampDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 18:52   Link #391
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Since they removed the "you have to fight the first demon yourself" thing, it won't make sense for his introduction. I think they are presenting him alongside another character, possibly Otome
__________________
She's not Mary Sue, she's Hajime-su!
jeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 19:21   Link #392
finallyanime
Lvl 49 PastryMancer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to finallyanime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
The second episode appears to be more about exposition than anything else.

Although even with exposition, the way the story works, you still don't understand very much. What are the Septentriones? Why are there six days left? What does Yamato mean when he says the world will end? The nature of the story means that the answers to questions such as these will be revealed rather slowly. So if people view the second episode as a bit boring, I can understand that.

That being said, I'd say keep to your rule of three. The first episode is meant to draw people in, the second usually explains a bit about the setting (but as I explained before, given the nature of the story, this is kind of hard to do), the third episode would supposedly set the stage for most of the story. So I advise to stay your decision to drop it or stick around until at least the third episode.

My personal opinion.. While I'm still excited, I'm getting kind of worried whether it's even possible to correctly adapt this game into an anime. But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised in the long run. It's not a long series, and I do kind of squeal out of fanboyism, and Io is so very much mai waifu, so.... I'll probably end up sticking around 'til the end.
I completely agree. I was on twitter a little earlier and just looked up tweets mentioning devil survivor and idk if i looked at the wrong time of the day....or something, but people were super hype about it after watching the first couple episodes.

That worries me.

This show reeks of a lot of signs pointing to nothing special. I would explain more, but I'm gonna do so later in a review anyways, so i'll save it, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this show was a bit too abrupt for itself. I mean dont get me wrong, i like abruptness and it can be done very well. I HATE bringing up older shows for examples, but Elfen Lied probably has one of the most "abrupt" first episodes ever (or perhaps deadman wonderland) & they did a great job. And the beginning was good I thought, but after that first bit, I was lost interest-wise.

Agree, disagree?
__________________
finallyanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 19:22   Link #393
Shinhwa
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Age: 23
Good episode. Too bad I never played the game to know the whole story :I
Shinhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 19:26   Link #394
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
Since they removed the "you have to fight the first demon yourself" thing, it won't make sense for his introduction. I think they are presenting him alongside another character, possibly Otome
The problem is that you have to meet Joe in Tokyo. In the game he explicitly states that he's there for a reason. If he appears in another area like Nagoya, it would contradict his character.

Considering the changes already made like Hinako already being with JPs, I'd say it's already beyond the point where we can call this a faithful adaptation of the game's story.

I'll still watch this because it's decently animated with delicious Yasuda designs intact, but no, this is not how the story goes.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 19:57   Link #395
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Xanadu
Age: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Episodes that simply add more questions early on is the best in my opinion. I quite enjoyed this episode in a casual way.
__________________
MyAnimeList (Hoovesahoy)
Avatar from: Hooves
Signature from: Patchy
Hooves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 20:42   Link #396
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I found the 2nd episode entertaining, fun to watch. But in the end I do think this series will be largely forgettable. I am mainly staying for the seiyuu (it's a guilty pleasure of mine).

I'd love to be proven wrong though.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 21:01   Link #397
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York USA
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
Araragi as Hibiki.... lol so messed up, anyways I like the dark visuals in this anime and the ED song blew me away. This entire series just feels depressing from the get-go, which means it'll be great!
__________________
Epicness
Polarpew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 21:13   Link #398
RWBladewing
Elderly "Love Live!" Fan
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Listening to "Aishiteru Banzai!" on repeat
Age: 30
It's still very early and next episode looks to change things up, but I don't really like what they've done with Io so far.

Spoiler for game comparisons:
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 21:31   Link #399
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Well the story's really moving along isn't it? I do know the game is only 7 "days" long so the fact we're already at "day" 2 in episode 2 shows me that this will indeed only run for a single cour.

Not a whole lot to say about this episode really. I don't know what that skull-bird demon that attacked the church was. Never seen it before in other SMT games.

I'm wondering if the story will delve a bit into the misuse of tamed demons by humans like the first game did. That was sort of lampshaded here with the people fearing Hibiki after using Byakko, but was pretty much instantly resolved thanks to the boy he saved.
__________________
SilverSyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 21:50   Link #400
Von Himmel
やっはろーヽ(*∀`)ノ
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dollars
I hear some remix of game soundtrack in this episode, particularly that scene where the demon appears.

Oh and they do seem to expose more information about what's happening already compared to the game I wonder how this will work out.
__________________
その光りは、単なる一筋の光りではない。人類の希望を繋いだ。


Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
atlus, devil_survivor, index, persona

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.