AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-05-03, 07:58   Link #641
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
One thing I forgot to mention, what I didn't like is apparently the head of JP is only 17.

Um what?

It's not enough that your main characters are in High School, you need the head guy to be a teenager too? And he doesn't even look like a teen, so this just seems silly to me.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 08:05   Link #642
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
One thing I forgot to mention, what I didn't like is apparently the head of JP is only 17.

Um what?

It's not enough that your main characters are in High School, you need the head guy to be a teenager too? And he doesn't even look like a teen, so this just seems silly to me.
They're not all teens. Makoto is 26, Ronaldo is 26, Fumi is 21, and Joe is 25.

For Yamato's case, he inherited the position from his family.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 08:16   Link #643
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
They're not all teens. Makoto is 26, Ronaldo is 26, Fumi is 21, and Joe is 25.

For Yamato's case, he inherited the position from his family.

None of them are main characters! Maybe Ronaldo will have an important role but I can't see this with the others.

The problem isn't just the age they gave him, but the fact that he acts nothing like a 17 year old, who to me is still a kid.

And the thing is even if he was in his mid-twenties, that would still make him extremely young for the position he holds, so making him 17 for the hell of it seems pretty silly.

And going back to Hibiki I mentioned that one of his flaws is he tries to do everything himself and doesn't rely on anyone.

Another major flaw is he is letting himself be used by both JP and Ronaldo. I don't think either of these are really the best option.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 08:26   Link #644
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
None of them are main characters! Maybe Ronaldo will have an important role but I can't see this with the others.

The problem isn't just the age they gave him, but the fact that he acts nothing like a 17 year old, who to me is still a kid.

And the thing is even if he was in his mid-twenties, that would still make him extremely young for the position he holds, so making him 17 for the hell of it seems pretty silly.
I consider all the named summoners (shown in the OP and ED) to be main (or at least major) characters, though since this is the anime, I guess that doesn't really hold true anymore.

Yamato acting older than he looks is the point of his character. He's responsible for running a secret government organization that's has been functioning for generations. He never had a normal upbringing, yet with his age and actions you can also see that he has his flaws.

In this case it would actually be even more jarring if he was in his 30s or 40s. You would then have a leader who is actively seeking out a teenager (Hibiki) for help. Then in the case that the protagonist outperforms him or shows him up, you would have a teenager being even more of a Gary Stu as he corrects a fully grown adult who should have known better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
And going back to Hibiki I mentioned that one of his flaws is he tries to do everything himself and doesn't rely on anyone.

Another major flaw is he is letting himself be used by both JP and Ronaldo. I don't think either of these are really the best option.
I agree with you on these, though for the second statement I will say that being with JPs or Ronaldo does not necessarily mean he has to agree with them. Like Hinako, Airi and Jungo, they could have joined JPs simply for convenience, such as access to reliable food and shelter.

It's also important from a storytelling perspective to see both "sides" before Hibiki and friends decide what they want to do in the end.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 08:37   Link #645
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Well, at 17 Yamato is actually younger than our main trio... Also, this is anime where you have fifteen-year-olds piloting highly dangerous weapons and stuff.

I find Yamato increasingly funny, I just noticed that in his character sheet in ep 2 he answers the "what's your hobby?" question with a mini rant about hobbies being pointless diversions.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 08:54   Link #646
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Well, at 17 Yamato is actually younger than our main trio... Also, this is anime where you have fifteen-year-olds piloting highly dangerous weapons and stuff.
That doesn't take away from the criticism. Hibiki, Daichi and Io act their age (at least to a degree). It doesn't matter to me that they are kids that can fight demons. That is just part of anime.

Yamato doesn't. He doesn't look 17, he doesn't act 17. There is nothing about him that says he is 17 except words. So the only reason to make him 17 is its "cool" to have a young character be the head of JP (which I wouldn't mind if we were shown he was 17, not just told)

Why not make him I don't know act like a kid. Maybe if he acted tough but we saw under the exterior he wasn't or didn't have all the answers even though he thought he did....

Even if there was a scene where he acted different by himself compared to when he was with everyone else. Right now they are telling me not showing me that he is 17.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA
Yamato acting older than he looks is the point of his character. He's responsible for running a secret government organization that's has been functioning for generations. He never had a normal upbringing, yet with his age and actions you can also see that he has his flaws.
Flaws in personality but again these aren't flaws because he is young. I can see someone who is 30 having these same personality flaws.


Quote:
It's also important from a storytelling perspective to see both "sides" before Hibiki and friends decide what they want to do in the end.
Right I am not saying this is a flaw in storytelling. I am saying it is one of Hibiki's character flaws, showing that he is not perfect or a Gary Stu at all. I think this is a good not a bad thing.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 08:57   Link #647
II Maestro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Data World
Io was funny when she pop out of the box. Yamoto sure is amazing he already summon a demon before he met Alcor.
__________________
II Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 08:59   Link #648
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
That doesn't take away from the criticism. Hibiki, Daichi and Io act their age (at least to a degree). It doesn't matter to me that they are kids that can fight demons. That is just part of anime.

Yamato doesn't. He doesn't look 17, he doesn't act 17. There is nothing about him that says he is 17 except words. So the only reason to make him 17 is its "cool" to have a young character be the head of JP.

Why not make him I don't know act like a kid. Maybe if he acted tough but we saw under the exterior he wasn't or didn't have all the answers even though he thought he did....
Yamato doesn't have all the answers... why would he if he needs the help of children to get things done?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Flaws in personality but again these aren't flaws because he is young. I can see someone who is 30 having these same flaws.
The specific flaw I was alluding to was the fact that Yamato is sheltered, which should have been evident from his profile. He's had a strict upbringing to handle his job, nothing more, nothing less.

That kind of flaw is less excusable on a fully grown adult.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 09:05   Link #649
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Yamato doesn't have all the answers... why would he if he needs the help of children to get things done?
But these aren't shown to be flaws because he is a kid. He acts in total control the whole time.

Now granted this might change at the end, but I still don't expect it to be because he is a teenager in over his head.





Quote:
The specific flaw I was alluding to was the fact that Yamato is sheltered, which should have been evident from his profile. He's had a strict upbringing to handle his job, nothing more, nothing less.

That kind of flaw is less excusable on a fully grown adult.
I can see Yamato had a strict upbringing but I guess I disagree with you that his personality flaws can't manifest in a grown up.

It's just not believable to me that this character is a kid. And I am not talking about his "role" in the story but how he acts.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 09:11   Link #650
Kimidori
Let's Play
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 19
Yamato is kind of a genius, yes he is 17, but he is not a kid, his upbringing make his mental age much older than his age, see how he act in the flash back when he was 5?
__________________
Kimidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 09:13   Link #651
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
Yamato is kind of a genius, yes he is 17, but he is not a kid, his upbringing make his mental age much older than his age, see how he act in the flash back when he was 5?
Yes exactly, not believable!

The story can tell me whatever it wants, whether I buy it or if it works for me is a different story.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 09:14   Link #652
Kimidori
Let's Play
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 19
and really, there are a lots of 17 year old in real life who matured fast and act like if not more mature than your average adult too.

you can't apply normal people mental grow to a genius who have strict upbringing you know?
__________________
Kimidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 09:17   Link #653
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
But these aren't shown to be flaws because he is a kid. He acts in total control the whole time.

Now granted this might change at the end, but I still don't expect it to be because he is a teenager in over his head.

I can see Yamato had a strict upbringing but I guess I disagree with you that his personality flaws can't manifest in a grown up.
I never said it wasn't possible for an adult to have the same flaws. I said it was less possible. It's less believable to have a sheltered adult than it is to have a sheltered child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
It's just not believable to me that this character is a kid. And I am not talking about his "role" in the story but how he acts.
He's supposed to act older than his age. Nothing about his position or upbringing is normal. I think I can suspend my disbelief considering I don't know how a 17-year-old raised from the ground up to be a government leader is supposed to act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
Yamato is kind of a genius, yes he is 17, but he is not a kid, his upbringing make his mental age much older than his age, see how he act in the flash back when he was 5?
I will agree with this, however. The anime original flashback was a bit much.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 09:19   Link #654
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
and really, there are a lots of 17 year old in real life who matured fast and act like if not more mature than your average adult too.

you can't apply normal people mental grow to a genius who have strict upbringing you know?
He can be a genius and still not act and look much older than that.

The only reason it seems they made Yamato 17, is because it is cool for the audience to have a young character in charge.

@Shadow5YA I don't have a problem that he acting older than 17 because he is charge and had a strict upbringing but there still needs to be something for me to latch on that hey this character is really 17 and there just isn't.

And sure you can have a sheltered adult. If you were raised a certain way as a kid it will manifest in you as an adult.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 09:21   Link #655
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
He can be a genius and still not act and look much older than that.
This however I can't agree with. What exactly makes him look older than any other character? His hair and face is that of a generic anime character just like the rest.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 09:24   Link #656
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
That doesn't take away from the criticism. Hibiki, Daichi and Io act their age (at least to a degree). It doesn't matter to me that they are kids that can fight demons. That is just part of anime.

Yamato doesn't. He doesn't look 17, he doesn't act 17. There is nothing about him that says he is 17 except words. So the only reason to make him 17 is its "cool" to have a young character be the head of JP (which I wouldn't mind if we were shown he was 17, not just told)
It doesn't take away from the criticism, but I personally don't see it as a big deal. For one, in this episode we learn that Yamato has been like this since he was a small child, and two, he's one of the dozens of anime characters who don't look, sound or act like their age. Like in those shows, his age is not a plot point and it's not very important in context of the show, so I'm not bothered by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Why not make him I don't know act like a kid. Maybe if he acted tough but we saw under the exterior he wasn't or didn't have all the answers even though he thought he did....
I don't think that's "acting like a kid", though. Any adult could have doubts or act tough when he really isn't. If Yamato was like that, he would be a different character. (And who knows, perhaps we'll see a breakdown from him later on, characters like him are just asking for it.)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 09:29   Link #657
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
And sure you can have a sheltered adult. If you were raised a certain way as a kid it will manifest in you as an adult.
Like I said before, it's possible, but less likely than having a sheltered child.

The difference is the wisdom and experience that are expected to come with age.


There are immature adults and mature teens. It still doesn't change the fact that certain qualities (like being spoiled or sheltered) are more closely tied to children than adults.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 09:46   Link #658
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
This however I can't agree with. What exactly makes him look older than any other character? His hair and face is that of a generic anime character just like the rest.
He looks much older than the 3 other kids who are all one year older than him.

I thought he was in his 30's just by his look. When the girl was shocked her superior was so young, I was too but for a very different reason than her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuromitsu
For one, in this episode we learn that Yamato has been like this since he was a small child, and two, he's one of the dozens of anime characters who don't look, sound or act like their age. Like in those shows, his age is not a plot point and it's not very important in context of the show, so I'm not bothered by it.
But IT is a plot point or they wouldn't have brought his age up in the first place. The fact that he is so young is part of his character.

And sure other anime characters might look and act older but this is extreme for me, especially when compared to the other characters within the same show he is in.

In fact besides having completely different philosophies he seems more similar to Ronaldo who is like 10 years older than him.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 09:50   Link #659
eiyuu99
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
So far we know Keita has Berserker, Ronaldo Hagen, Io Kikuri-Hime, Joe Orcus, Otome Sarasvati, Yamato Cerberus and Hibiki both Suzaku and Byakko.
I wonder when Daichi mans up, what demon he gets.
eiyuu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 09:54   Link #660
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
He looks much older than the 3 other kids who are all one year older than him.

I thought he was in his 30's just by his look. When the girl was shocked her superior was so young, I was too but for a very different reason than her.
Then let's agree to disagree, because I didn't get that impression from his design at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
But IT is a plot point or they wouldn't have brought his age up in the first place. The fact that he is so young is part of his character.

And sure other anime characters might look and act older but this is extreme for me, especially when compared to the other characters within the same show he is in.

In fact besides having completely different philosophies he seems more similar to Ronaldo who is like 10 years older than him.
I would consider Ronaldo immature for his age

Some comedy scenes would help you see Yamato act his age, but since the anime is omitting most of them and replacing them with Daichi being a joke in battle, I guess I'm going to have to echo the studio and Atlus' message to play the game
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
atlus, devil_survivor, index, persona

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.