AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-04-24, 07:05   Link #1141
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 07:22   Link #1142
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Not trying to be anal, but unless a story-based reason has been given, either in the anime or its official website, an ice age on Earth would have little to do with the Sun itself. That is, it can't be because the Sun itself became cooler, as it would mean that it has become a red dwarf and is beginning to die.
I think they stated it was the sun. Or at least, that they (humanity) thought it was the sun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
So theoretically 10,000 years would have passed for Earth to recover from the ice age. It makes sense as far as explaining the Alliance's technological advancement goes.

And if the Earth humans had to restart their civilisation from scratch without the benefit of being able to live on land, I guess it also makes sense they'd be about where we're at the moment.
Theoretically, what they described can't happen at all, so let's not think about it too hard...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 07:41   Link #1143
Helius
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: stuck between galaxies
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
From my perspective the Hideauze nest right next to a star is a foreshadowing of why Sol acted anomalously, creating an ice age on Earth.

It would also stage a reason why the Galactic Alliance hate the Hideauze so much. From their perspective the reason humans are an endangered species is because of them.
Yeah. But still, we don't know how or where first contact took place and indeed whether the Sun going kaputt and the war with the Hideauze is related 'cos if it is, then they could've been fighting each other for as long as 10,000 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Theoretically, what they described can't happen at all, so let's not think about it too hard...
Isn't that what we've been discussing on this board though, speculations based on a fictional premise?

Am I to assume opinions on time travel based on wormhole mechanics are more credible or intellectually stimulating than glaciation and human activities?
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 07:44   Link #1144
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
As for the "waterworld" state of Earth, did I miss something? It can't be because the Sun has "cooled". That would imply that the Sun is dying and on its way towards becoming a red dwarf, a process that takes millions of years. If anything, the Earth froze over probably because of a nuclear winter or an equivalent disaster, and has thawed only recently.
In EP2 they say that earth froze because of abnormal solar activity.
For some non well specified reason the sun stopped providing enough heat and energy to keep our planet warm. It is said that it was "abnormal" so it must be something that defies our current knowledge.
By the way this is exactly the same scenario of the movie Sunshine (2007) which doesn't care to explain why that happened.

I would also add that a nuclear winter or equivalent disaster wouldn't really warrant something that radical as abandoning the planet, and there's the fact that Ledo thought that the planet was still supposed to be frozen after so many years. Those artificial winters are not supposed to last for long.


As for how the planet suddenly warmed to a temperature even higher than what it had originally there's no explanation at all, but I suspect the lightbugs are responsible for that and the "solar anomaly" probably ended.


Quote:
Might have already been said and discussed before... but...

To me... it feels like these Earthbrings or Gargantians... are a bunch of crazy Hypocrites...

Since they basically said, hay killing is wrong so we're using weapons to make others stand down...

Arming yourself with a weapon = Negotiate (so... if I went into a store with a weapon and said I want a lowered priced, will I get lowered price?)

Why not just get a Nuke like RL and no one would go against you, LOL.
You must be one of those who thought America should have nuked Afghanistan.
At least you should recognize that in the real world you don't massacre your enemies indiscriminately just because you can.
They never said "don't kill", they said "don't exterminate".
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 07:49   Link #1145
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
Isn't that what we've been discussing on this board though, speculations based on a fictional premise?

Am I to assume opinions on time travel based on wormhole mechanics are more credible or intellectually stimulating than glaciation and human activities?
Nah. I'm just saying - insisting on deriving conclusions on that subject from real world physics is a lost cause. It was an impossible Ice Age with a recovery into an impossible water world.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 07:56   Link #1146
p-kun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_animagic View Post
Since they basically said, hay killing is wrong so we're using weapons to make others stand down...

Arming yourself with a weapon = Negotiate (so... if I went into a store with a weapon and said I want a lowered priced, will I get lowered price?)

Why not just get a Nuke like RL and no one would go against you, LOL.
Get your facts right. IRL, having a lot of nukes doesn't help USA much against "retaliation" (terrorist attacks) from countries that're barely armed. There are plenty of ways the terrorists can make Gargantia miserable without needing to overpower it.
p-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 08:04   Link #1147
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I'm right behind you
Age: 32
It's probably too early in the show to say for sure, but do you think this song might eventually make a good AMV for this show?

Yeah, there's obviously a lot of references to land, but as we said, perhaps some dry land still exists. And there's just the possible Wall-E parallels of returning from space colonies to a post-apocalyptic Earth. (The Gargantians' role is sort of like Wall-E's and Ledo is a bit like Eva.)

Incidentally, I think some climatologists have actually theorized that global warming may actually induce another ice age. Most of the planet would become wetter, creating more clouds which would reflect more sunlight back into space. In at least one regional example, melting ice in Greenland might cut off the Gulf Stream, which sends warm water from the Caribbean up toward Europe and creates its unusually warm climate (London is actually at about the latitude of Labrador); hence Europe might eventually experience much colder winters than they're used to.

Heh, I hope that doesn't set off an angry back-and-forth like so many threads about global warming tend to. I was just thinking about possible Wall-E parallels in Gargantia, and we all know about the "green Aesop" side of Wall-E.
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 08:13   Link #1148
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
In response to andyjay729's post, I keep wondering why the title of this series is Suisei no Gargantia

Where suisei "翠星" just like the english title says means "verdurous planet" a lush green planet. A planet filled with plants in other words.

That's totally not what we're seeing now.

there's probably a pun with the homophone "水星" which means water planet.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 08:25   Link #1149
Helius
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: stuck between galaxies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
In response to andyjay729's post, I keep wondering why the title of this series is Suisei no Gargantia

Where suisei "翠星" just like the english title says means "verdurous planet" a lush green planet. A planet filled with plants in other words.

That's totally not what we're seeing now.

there's probably a pun with the homophone "水星" which means water planet.
Probably to do with the ocean being green. "翠" also means jade green.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 08:28   Link #1150
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
After everything.. all they gave him is fish....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 08:34   Link #1151
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
Probably to do with the ocean being green. "翠" also means jade green.
But this kanji refers specifically to plants. A more common kanji is 緑 which is what you normally use for the color green.
The english translation they used then, it's likely not a mistake.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 08:56   Link #1152
Helius
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: stuck between galaxies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
But this kanji refers specifically to plants. A more common kanji is 緑 which is what you normally use for the color green.
The english translation they used then, it's likely not a mistake.
No. "翠" decribes colour of jade as well as the type of green commonly found in plants. And to be pedantic about it, "verdurous", according to the Oxford Dictionary, means "the fresh green colour of lush vegetation", which isn't vegetation per se.

So a "verdurous planet 翠星" doesn't necessarily imply there be lush vegetation, only that the planet is green.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 09:18   Link #1153
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
No. "翠" decribes colour of jade as well as the type of green commonly found in plants. And to be pedantic about it, "verdurous", according to the Oxford Dictionary, means "the fresh green colour of lush vegetation", which isn't vegetation per se.

So a "verdurous planet 翠星" doesn't necessarily imply there be lush vegetation, only that the planet is green.
Which oxford dictionary?

http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini...ous#verdure__9

It might imply just the color, but even in that case it refers specifically to the green color of plants not the green color of water.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 09:32   Link #1154
Helius
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: stuck between galaxies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Which oxford dictionary?

http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini...ous#verdure__9

It might imply just the color, but even in that case it refers specifically to the green color of plants not the green color of water.
It really depends on how you interpret it and I'm just stating the facts as they stand. There's always the possibility that there's some hidden meaning behind the word usage.

Personally I'm leaning towards "Suisei 翠星" sounding better than "Rokusei 緑星" while the meaning stays the same. There's also the cultural nuances associated with describing the planet as beautiful as a marble made out of jade.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 09:33   Link #1155
SQA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Part of me thinks they might have intended to use "verdant", which is a color of green, yet it's also an implication to plant life. "Verdurous" is an adjective form of "Verdure", which is more about planet life than the color green specifically. Unless they mean it in the "greenery" way. (The words are related, but when they are rarely used, the context tends to split a bit)

However, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. This series takes most of its science and tech pretty seriously. We've already seen quite a lot of sea floor equipment isn't very deep in the water, maybe a few hundred feet. There is Land on this version of Earth. So expect that to pop up in story details. That they recharge/follow the water-lightning is probably our key bit of information. These humans are being prevented from heading to that land, whether by nature or by intention.

Which probably is why the series is named as it is. The title is telling you a lot about what is going on, like quite a few series are wont to do.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 10:42   Link #1156
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
“Gargantia” Confirms More Bikini Service

Oh my.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 10:49   Link #1157
LKK
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Age: 52
This is pure off the top of my head speculation. I wonder if we've been going down the wrong path in guessing where this show is going to go. The general consensus seems to be that either the Alliance or the Hidxxx (I can't spell that name ) or both will arrive on the planet eventually. But based on the slightly confusing title, what if instead of this series becoming a war between cultures, it becomes a search for land and a way to survive outside of the light stream?
__________________

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 10:58   Link #1158
Helius
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: stuck between galaxies
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
This is pure off the top of my head speculation. I wonder if we've been going down the wrong path in guessing where this show is going to go. The general consensus seems to be that either the Alliance or the Hidxxx (I can't spell that name ) or both will arrive on the planet eventually. But based on the slightly confusing title, what if instead of this series becoming a war between cultures, it becomes a search for land and a way to survive outside of the light stream?
Like Waterworld you mean?
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 11:06   Link #1159
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 28
As expected, this got a subforum.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 11:20   Link #1160
LKK
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Age: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
Like Waterworld you mean?
It's been ages since I saw Waterworld. I certainly didn't have it in mind when I thought up my speculation. At least not consciously anyway. But now that you mention it, yeah, a bit like Waterworld I suppose.
__________________

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, harem, mecha, military, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, urobuchi

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.