AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Chuunibyou

Notices

View Poll Results: Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 33 33.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 31 31.31%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 20.20%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 9.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.02%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.01%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.01%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.02%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-12-12, 19:21   Link #21
Animexcel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
I love Rikka's enthusiastic "Woohhhh~" xD
I think normal Rikka is still pretty cute and it's interesting for those who vision how that would be like. Her struggle to act normal is certainly making the others a little shocked since it's not what they're used to seeing from her. And they've done a good job portraying that. One thing for sure is that Rikka wasn't embarrassed about her chuunibyou afterwards unlike Yuuta and Nibutani. After all that time in the same class, she still had the courage to make friends. You could see Yuuta feeling a bit down while he helped Rikka clean her room and it kinda echoed the first episode when Yuuta was moving his stuff out and Rikka feeling down about it. I can't wait to see how it ends.
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 19:27   Link #22
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
It's probably due to Rikka's own clumsy way to get rid of her chuuni tendencies. Is it extreme? Sure, but you have to remember she surrounded herself with her own chuuni fantasies ever since her father suddenly died when she was a child. If you also take into account her sister and grandfather's disapproving stance on her chuuni behavior, then she believes she is merely acting in a way that meets their expectations; to be a "normal" high school girl. However, she does not have any experience acting in any other way than she is used to. She also did really enjoy her chuuni times, but the idea of denying it in order to "grow up and accept reality" puts her at a lost at what to do.
understandably Rikka want to be "normal high school girl". but even then is she think chuuni is very bad for her. not very bad because it embarrassing but very bad because it course everyone a problem which. which is not right.

her chuuni is not the issue. it's her ignorance about her father dead and reality is the issue
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 19:33   Link #23
Soverence
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Where the Sky Touches the Sea
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
understandably Rikka want to be "normal high school girl". but even then is she think chuuni is very bad for her. not very bad because it embarrassing but very bad because it course everyone a problem which. which is not right.

her chuuni is not the issue. it's her ignorance about her father dead and reality is the issue
The problem is though the two issues have been presented in a way such that they are considered the same issue. All the characters seem to think that she only acts as a chuuni in order to ignore her fathers death and to escape from reality. I don't think that previous statement is true though, I think she acts that way to accept reality and to be happy.

Her acting "normal" would be her acting like a chuuni because as far as I am concerned someone is only acting normal when they are being true to themselves.
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 19:34   Link #24
Eater of All
NOM
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Outside the Asylum
Yuuta almost looks like a bad guy here, but what are his options?

It would be trivial to, as he did in the beginning, continue helping Rikka search for the Unseen Horizon. That's the easy route. That doesn't solve anything. What, are they going to keep doing this when they're 50 years old, and Rikka will still be rejecting her mom?

As a slight variation to the previous option, he can support her and hope that Rikka snaps out of it on her own. Still easy, still not solving anything.

He can do what he's doing right now. He can make Rikka reject her old personality, reject her old life, accept the truth, and accept the normal. The rationale is that it will be better for her in the long term. Will it? Hard to say, but it's obviously an extremely painful option at the moment.

So what's left? Ideally, Yuuta can help Rikka face her father's death without forcing her to reject her life/personality these past few years wholesale. The hard part is knowing how to do this. Yuuta sure as hell isn't in an enviable position.
Eater of All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 19:36   Link #25
HandofFate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
I really like how Nibutani settled into the 'mother' role for everyone. Especially dekomori. Liked how she tried to comment to Yuuta about the situation without directly interfering since its ultimately something Rikka and Yuuta has to see through for themselves.

Also dekomori's role fit nicely as well, since she's the youngest of everyone, so her tantrums made sense.

Another sudden small time leap. The scene with Tokka giving farewell to Yuuta was touching.
The first few minutes of non-chuuni rika was cute, maybe gap moe or something. But definitely turned serious the rest of the episode.

Dekomori's voice acting after Rikka leaves was very well done too. Lots of emotion. And Yuuta snapping at her was brutal. I don't really blame Yuuta much, its definitely a tough situation, and him being submissive to everything is pretty realistic.

Looking forward to how all this resolves.
__________________
...
HandofFate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 19:49   Link #26
Red_Zeal_Knight
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Yea emotional episode well u get to feel bad for everyone
Rikka being forced accept reality and Yuuta to be one to do it
Can't really say Yuuta is the bad guy here, some one needs to do it
It mostly likely better for Rikka in the long term
Red_Zeal_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 19:50   Link #27
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: edge of my dream in the land of twilight...ZzzZzZ
Poor Dekomori is getting a beating with the reality hammer. The kid has a imagination like her master, but since she's younger I guess she takes this fantasy more seriously. I wonder why Dekomori decided to go along with this fantasy run with Rikka besides her being a kid obviously, but were there other influences for to believe in a fantasy.

Oh well, once they're all grown up and seniors in high school they can look back all on this and have a merry laugh.
__________________
Wandering_Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 20:01   Link #28
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
I guess in the end, what she wants most is for Rikka to be happy.
What a great friend Rikka has in Dekomori. Unlike Yuuta, who seems to want to make Touka happy more than his own girlfriend. Rikka did not give up her chuuni ways because she thinks it's the right thing to do, but to please her boyfriend. Yuuta doesn't seem to care that his girlfriend isn't happy anymore, so long as she abandons her chuuni ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Yuuta almost looks like a bad guy here...
I said it before, and I'll say it again: Yuuta's a jerk. His lack of compassion for Rikka is mind-boggling. She's been like that for three weeks and he acts like nothing has happened? Like everything's fine? It makes me wonder if the real reason that he forced Rikka into a corner over her chunni ways was because Touka had promised to give him her voice recorder if he cooperated. I certainly wouldn't doubt it. And she did give it to him.

Quote:
So what's left? Ideally, Yuuta can help Rikka face her father's death without forcing her to reject her life/personality these past few years wholesale. The hard part is knowing how to do this...
How about seek professional help? Doesn't Japan have psychiatrist or psychologists? If this syndrome is as common as we are suppose to believe, wouldn't there also be a lot of professional help available? Why dump the responsibility of helping your sister/daughter through an emotionally trying time on a vastly unqualified teenage boy? And since the root of the problem seems to be anchored in her father's death, certainly there must be mental health professionals in Japan that have helped teenage girls deal with those issues.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 20:11   Link #29
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: hahahahahahahahaha
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
What a great friend Rikka has in Dekomori. Unlike Yuuta, who seems to want to make Touka happy more than his own girlfriend. Rikka did not give up her chuuni ways because she thinks it's the right thing to do, but to please her boyfriend. Yuuta doesn't seem to care that his girlfriend isn't happy anymore, so long as she abandons her chuuni ways.
Can't say I disagree, though perhaps you are too harsh on him, as Yuuta himself is finding an awkward time adjusting and one can say he is unsure of what his actions should be at this stage, so he just goes along with whatever Rikka decides. Anyway, the reason Yuuta forces Rikka to remove the eyepatch in episode 10 is largely driven by what Touka says to him in the restaurant. Like Touka, he subconsciously tries to impose what he thinks is right on Rikka, without really properly guiding her through it. I am actually surprised that Yuuta doesn't voice more concern (rather than a few questions here and there) about her change. Even he who willingly cures himself of chuunibyou syndrome has experienced relapse once in a while, so he should know better than anyone that it's a process that takes time.
__________________
A politically ignorant person who embraces only hedonism as the main philosophical doctrine.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 20:17   Link #30
Forsaken_Infinity
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United States of America
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Forsaken_Infinity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soverence View Post
The problem is though the two issues have been presented in a way such that they are considered the same issue. All the characters seem to think that she only acts as a chuuni in order to ignore her fathers death and to escape from reality. I don't think that previous statement is true though, I think she acts that way to accept reality and to be happy.

Her acting "normal" would be her acting like a chuuni because as far as I am concerned someone is only acting normal when they are being true to themselves.
More or less this. Except rather than presented, I would say perceived. Rikka and Yuuta have cornered themselves into this train of thought that Rikka was acting Chuuni to escape reality. It may indeed have been why she started, but it was definitely not the entirety of why she stayed. After spending years acting a certain way, it becomes a part of your life, your identity. It's not only unrealistic to expect to just give that up but also very misguided. You don't want that. They both don't want to completely give up on their Chuuni side.

There are other issues to. Giving up on something completely means you need to know when you have given up on it completely. When is it enough? It's not possible to give up on intangible things completely because you don't know that. It's possible to quit smoking completely, but it's not possible to quit addictive behavior altogether because there is no way to strictly delineate what's addictive behavior and what's not. That's why you follow your heart with those things but apply a reasonable standard as well.

Unfortunately, despite the clear pain in their hearts, Rikka and Yuuta tried way too hard. Sadly, this is far too common with people who finally give up on something very obsessive.

I came to Yuuta's defense last week and I still think what he did then was absolutely the right thing to do but I can't defend his actions this week. What's their to defend? He himself knows his actions were very much in the wrong, especially towards Dekomori. He had better apologize to her next episode, and it had better be a strong apology at that, because he was a total jerk to her even if he didn't mean to be and even if what he was presenting were real facts. Yes Dekomori was guilty of ignoring Rikka's attempts at being normal but if we were to defend Yuuta with that on the basis that Yuuta cares for Rikka then as viewers, we also know very well that Dekomori cared for Rikka just as much. Given that Rikka and Yuuta are misguided in thinking that Rikka has to go cold turkey on her behaviors to become normal, ergo better, it's arguable that Dekomori was the one doing the right thing. But the fact that Yuuta was mean to her is completely independent of this issue with Rikka. I understand that Yuuta isn't a bad person but he had better apologize to her else I will be strongly disappointed.

Now I don't agree with the interpretation that Yuuta wants to make Touka happier than Rikka or even that Touka would be happy to see Rikka like this. Yuuta is just dumbfounded a bit and understandably so. Touka definitely wouldn't have wanted Rikka to go this bland but she was short on time and she chose to trust that her sister and Yuuta would work it out together somehow. Trusting people to work things out is better than meddling in, especially at the cost of self-harm.

I am very sure Rikka's mom wouldn't mind Rikka keeping half the things she threw away from her room either. She would probably be very happy to join in with Rikka and Dekomori in the simpler of their antics in fact. But Rikka herself is dumbfounded and drawing irrational conclusions.

Nibutani has shown some sense but I don't know what to make of her. On one hand, I can understand why she helped Rikka with being normal but wouldn't interfere to tell her to stop trying so hard because what Rikka does is Rikka's choice and not hers. She can only help Rikka with what Rikka seeks help with. But on the other hand, if I were Rikka's friend and I saw how misguided she was and how damaging her choices were proving to be, I wouldn't have been able to stop myself from giving her a piece of my mind. I suppose Nibutani's better with dealing people than I am on that regard ._.

The episode was perfect btw, I don't see how they could have presented this material any better.
__________________
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 20:20   Link #31
Elestia
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
understandably Rikka want to be "normal high school girl". but even then is she think chuuni is very bad for her. not very bad because it embarrassing but very bad because it course everyone a problem which. which is not right.

her chuuni is not the issue. it's her ignorance about her father dead and reality is the issue
I think Yuuta explained it last episode to Touka about the same issue about accepting her father's death. In example, Yuuta claims that Rikka internally does realize that her father is indeed dead. Rikka is not ignorant of the fact that her father has died, but Yuuta explains that her handling of her father's death is "different". While her unwillingness to visit her father's grave is a sign that she still does not completely accept reality, but instead opts for an approach similar to "My dad became a star and is watching over me" kind of manner. It's childish and naive, but again, she was only a child when her father suddenly passed away. There's nothing inherently unhealthy about that for a child, but as people grow up they quietly realize that is not true. No one needs to tell them that, just like how everyone eventually realizes there is no Santa Claus. This is probably why Yuuta defended Rikka when Touka starts telling her sister to grow up and accept reality.
__________________
Elestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 20:21   Link #32
Animexcel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
What a great friend Rikka has in Dekomori. Unlike Yuuta, who seems to want to make Touka happy more than his own girlfriend. Rikka did not give up her chuuni ways because she thinks it's the right thing to do, but to please her boyfriend. Yuuta doesn't seem to care that his girlfriend isn't happy anymore, so long as she abandons her chuuni ways.



I said it before, and I'll say it again: Yuuta's a jerk. His lack of compassion for Rikka is mind-boggling. She's been like that for three weeks and he acts like nothing has happened? Like everything's fine? It makes me wonder if the real reason that he forced Rikka into a corner over her chunni ways was because Touka had promised to give him her voice recorder if he cooperated. I certainly wouldn't doubt it. And she did give it to him.



How about seek professional help? Doesn't Japan have psychiatrist or psychologists? If this syndrome is as common as we are suppose to believe, wouldn't there also be a lot of professional help available? Why dump the responsibility of helping your sister/daughter through an emotionally trying time on a vastly unqualified teenage boy? And since the root of the problem seems to be anchored in her father's death, certainly there must be mental health professionals in Japan that have helped teenage girls deal with those issues.
Calm down, dude. I think if everything you want went that direction, the story would go nowhere. You're making too many assumptions of what happened off screen.
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 20:33   Link #33
Eater of All
NOM
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Outside the Asylum
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
I said it before, and I'll say it again: Yuuta's a jerk. His lack of compassion for Rikka is mind-boggling. She's been like that for three weeks and he acts like nothing has happened? Like everything's fine? It makes me wonder if the real reason that he forced Rikka into a corner over her chunni ways was because Touka had promised to give him her voice recorder if he cooperated. I certainly wouldn't doubt it. And she did give it to him.
He acts like nothing has happened? Like everything's fine? Did we watch the same episode? Or is it your selective perception at work again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
How about seek professional help? Doesn't Japan have psychiatrist or psychologists? If this syndrome is as common as we are suppose to believe, wouldn't there also be a lot of professional help available? Why dump the responsibility of helping your sister/daughter through an emotionally trying time on a vastly unqualified teenage boy? And since the root of the problem seems to be anchored in her father's death, certainly there must be mental health professionals in Japan that have helped teenage girls deal with those issues.
If I were to BS with my obviously limited knowledge of Japan, I'd say Japanese people tend to keep to themselves because they're embarrassed/shameful about their problems.
I can also speculate that maybe Touka did try this before, or haven't done so because it probably won't work unless it's someone Rikka really trusts.

If I were to be honest, I'd say that's because it's just goddamn boring and wouldn't make for a story.
Eater of All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 20:45   Link #34
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
He acts like nothing has happened? Like everything's fine? Did we watch the same episode? Or is it your selective perception at work again?
Must be my selective memory kicking in again.

Quote:
If I were to BS with my obviously limited knowledge of Japan, I'd say Japanese people tend to keep to themselves because they're embarrassed/shameful about their problems.
With my limited knowledge of Japanese culture, I might also believe this. But I was actually asking for a real answer.

Quote:
I can also speculate that maybe Touka did try this before, or haven't done so because it probably won't work unless it's someone Rikka really trusts.
Good to see that I'm not the only one who speculates about things that happen off-screen.

Quote:
If I were to be honest, I'd say that's because it's just goddamned boring and wouldn't make for a story.
Actually, with Rikka as the patient, it could certainly be as entertaining and hilarious as Kuuchuu Buranko.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 20:50   Link #35
adamatari
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
This is what I was afraid of from the last episode...

You can't pretend to be something you aren't, and if you try it's just going to eat away at you. There is no use trying to be something for somebody else's satisfaction.
adamatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 20:56   Link #36
Animexcel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Good to see that I'm not the only one who speculates about things that happen off-screen.
Coming from you, it sounds like bad gossip.
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 21:01   Link #37
Dauerlutscher
You went full retarded.
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I really think some people should stop with the exaggerations and chill. Just saying.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sooner or later, Rikka will have to grow out of her delusions and accept reality. Her father is dead, that is the simple but harsh truth and she has to learn to deal with it in a healthy way, otherwise she will have big problems in the future.
Personaly, I don't see any problem with her delusions as long she clearly knows that they are just delusions and that she knows that there are times when it's necessary to be serious.
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 21:05   Link #38
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Ah, conformed Rikka. She's so adorable. It's like I've fallen in love with her all over again. xD

And I loved the last scene at the train stop. Not gonna lie, I started to laugh when Dekomori started to bawl. I don't think it was in a ridiculing way, though.
__________________
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 21:07   Link #39
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: hahahahahahahahaha
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Not gonna lie, I started to laugh when Dekomori started to bawl. I don't think it was in a ridiculing way, though.
Lol, I had never expected that sort of reaction from anyone.
__________________
A politically ignorant person who embraces only hedonism as the main philosophical doctrine.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-12, 21:15   Link #40
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animexcel View Post
Coming from you, it sounds like bad gossip.
It would have been really bad gossip if I had just changed the first three letters of one of the words in that comment.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chuunibyou, drama

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.