AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online - Episode 24 Rating
10 out of 10 : Near Perfect... 52 33.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 31 19.87%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 21 13.46%
7 out of 10 : Good... 16 10.26%
6 out of 10 : Average... 9 5.77%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 4 2.56%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 4 2.56%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 2 1.28%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.64%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 16 10.26%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-12-16, 18:51   Link #261
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Oh I don't doubt making clothes break is impossible in a game, I've seen it before, only it doesn't really work as realistically as it did in this SAO episode. The only real game-like thing about it was it disappearing after it got ripped off. Everything else was way too detailed for it to be game-like.
Like I said before, the technology exists and is already incorporated in many games for things like walls or objects. The only reason it barely exists for clothes yet is because so far few games have much reason to have proper user-to-cloth interaction.

You are correct in saying that there is an item far too realistic in this series, but you are looking in the wrong place. Everything from the world, model reactions and interaction with the world and it's players is already possible with current technology. What holds it back is not the technological limitations of the graphic engine.

What holds it back are the controls.

Something as simple as grabbing a potion bottle or sitting in a chair in any game is currently all pre-generated. You click a hotkey and a pre-programmed motion gulps down the potion, you click a chair and your character sits down in a pre-programmed fashion. The current generation controls simply don't allow for the gargantuan amount of ranges the human body is capable of moving. It's impossible to simulate that with mouse and keyboard or a controller.

There, and only there, is where the nerve gear accomplishes something that is impossible by current gaming standards.
Old 2012-12-16, 18:52   Link #262
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!

Just want ton address this one as other have tackled the other points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Mmmmm I dunno. The first virtual reality game was released in 1980 and aside from an improvement in in-game visuals the technology for the medium hasn't come very far since then. That's mostly the basis for my skepticism as it's still all very vision-based stuff, even 30 years later.
Actually, I'd argue there hasn't been any VR games at all, at least not in the context we're talking about. All we've had so far are games that have used it as a marketing moniker, but they've amounted to little more than glorified eyeglass monitors.

Improvements in in-game visuals are actually quite important. After all, what would be the point if a viable VR interface can only put you in a world with the graphical fidelity of Minecraft? The largest challenge for VR tech akin to the ones we see in SAO would actually be in the neuroscience and biomechanical field, rather than traditional gaming technology.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 18:54   Link #263
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Just mentioning the theme doesn't make it connected to the theme.
I think it does make it connected to the theme, in fact, because of the person who mentioned it and the context it was mentioned. It's the reason why Kazuto was given that power; like The Seed, a sort of give from "the creator" to him. On a symbolic level, I suppose you could argue that Kayaba was saying, through his action, that Sugou was not deemed worthy to be a GM, but Kazuto was.

(Again, not trying to argue that it couldn't have been presented in a way that may be more convincing on the whole. But I do think it's all connected.)

By the way, regarding this on-going issue with the "Realism" of the game, I think it's gone a bit beyond the scope of just this episode, so I would like to recommend the Game Mechanics & Technology Thread. I may move some posts there.
Old 2012-12-16, 18:58   Link #264
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Honestly, both of these views are sort of why I like the "Kayaba as a metaphor for God" analogy (at least if you think of it in the Judeo-Christian sense, and perhaps also like the gods in some ancient Greek comedies/tragedies). If there really were a God that created the universe and you were able to meet him, would you blame him for all the negative things that he "allowed to happen" (and caused either directly or at least by proxy) in the world, or would you thank him for indirectly giving you the life you had? Of course, Kayaba is a person in this story who only played the role of god in his game (and indirectly through the technology he created), but it's still an interesting angle to me. It's also interesting given the way The Seed was placed into Kazuto's hands -- will he want to destroy every remnant of that reality steeped in tragedy, or try to create something new and better (based on the gift he was given of meeting Asuna)? (Well I think we know the answer already.) From the perspective of Kazuto and Asuna, I think the relationship they have with him is "complicated". I'm sure no one condones what he did in light of all those who died based on that decision. But they nevertheless did live in his world and it changed their lives indefinitely. They may do a lot if it could save those who were lost, but would they really want the time back for themselves?

Of course, ALO is a different story, and a very vivid contrast.
Oh, and this is a very interesting perspective, relentless. It's true that by most standard sensibilities, Kayaba would be considered a bad, bad man; but looking at the story from this perspective, the complexity of the relationship Kirito and Asuna have with the SAO God himself makes for a very layered and thought-provoking one.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 19:00   Link #265
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
This post confused me so much at first, but then I realized you probably meant to say 20.
I did. My bad haha.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 19:01   Link #266
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
It exists enough that they surpassed the system in Aincrad. That's enough for him to write it in if he wanted to.
You don't get it, what you're seeing in the anime now is the idea that will eventually give rise to the IS in AW when Kawahara eventually start writing AW, which is probably because due to this...

Quote:
SAO isn't over. And clearly he could've written it into SAO if he wanted to/had thought of it earlier. Saying he hadn't done it yet as a viable reason for not possibly including it is ridiculous reasoning when he clearly had the ability to think of it, since he eventually does.
SAO IS over, the web novel had concluded years and years ago. It's just being touched up and expanded where appropriate as it gets published officially. To do what you're suggesting would literally require Kawahara to effectively gut and rewrite the entire story.

Spoiler for Comparison to LOTR/The Hobbit:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-12-16 at 20:29. Reason: Spoiler tag for comparison
Old 2012-12-16, 19:13   Link #267
Dauerlutscher
I never asked for this

I wonder how many things the author will change after he decided to rewrite this story...
Dauerlutscher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 19:17   Link #268
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauerlutscher View Post
I wonder how many things the author will change after he decided to rewrite this story...
My guess would be zero, as he isn't re-writing this?

SAO Progressive is strictly for the Aincrad arc, Fairy Dance had its rewrite when it was published already.
Old 2012-12-16, 19:45   Link #269
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
You are correct in saying that there is an item far too realistic in this series, but you are looking in the wrong place. Everything from the world, model reactions and interaction with the world and it's players is already possible with current technology. What holds it back is not the technological limitations of the graphic engine.

What holds it back are the controls.

Something as simple as grabbing a potion bottle or sitting in a chair in any game is currently all pre-generated. You click a hotkey and a pre-programmed motion gulps down the potion, you click a chair and your character sits down in a pre-programmed fashion. The current generation controls simply don't allow for the gargantuan amount of ranges the human body is capable of moving. It's impossible to simulate that with mouse and keyboard or a controller.

There, and only there, is where the nerve gear accomplishes something that is impossible by current gaming standards.
Ah but I've actually already brought this up. I didn't go into detail but I have mentioned that the NervGear doesn't even use any controllers, which is a staple necessity for current generation gaming. I've even compared it to .hack's VR system which is purely vision-based and uses a controller (albeit a very simple single-handed one), which much more in-line with current gaming technology:

Spoiler for Picture of said .hack VR peripheral:

Quote:
Actually, I'd argue there hasn't been any VR games at all, at least not in the context we're talking about. All we've had so far are games that have used it as a marketing moniker, but they've amounted to little more than glorified eyeglass monitors.
You mean like the Virtual Boy? Sure that thing was a commercial failure so you're partially right, though from a technical sense it's really still considered virtual reality even though the only sense it deceives is one's vision. There's a number of arcade games that do a lot better than the Virtual Boy did too.

Hell the first VR ever game, Battlezone, was a vector graphic game with green lines on a blocky 3D plane that was distributed in public arcades. I don't know how successful it was as an arcade game, but the developer was quickly scouted out to make an alternative version meant to train US army tank gunners.

Quote:
By the way, regarding this on-going issue with the "Realism" of the game, I think it's gone a bit beyond the scope of just this episode, so I would like to recommend the Game Mechanics & Technology Thread. I may move some posts there.
Yeah I was afraid we may have been going off on a tangent. I'll just make this my last post pertaining to the subject in the episode topic and if you want to move the related posts that'd be great relentless.
Old 2012-12-16, 20:22   Link #270
Dauerlutscher
I never asked for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
My guess would be zero, as he isn't re-writing this?

SAO Progressive is strictly for the Aincrad arc, Fairy Dance had its rewrite when it was published already.
Well i just heard that he is not really happy with some things in SAO and wants to rewrite it. What he changes and how important those things are, remains to be seen.
Old 2012-12-16, 20:22   Link #271
Slayerx

Quote:
Honestly, both of these views are sort of why I like the "Kayaba as a metaphor for God" analogy (at least if you think of it in the Judeo-Christian sense, and perhaps also like the gods in some ancient Greek comedies/tragedies). If there really were a God that created the universe and you were able to meet him, would you blame him for all the negative things that he "allowed to happen" (and caused either directly or at least by proxy) in the world, or would you thank him for indirectly giving you the life you had? Of course, Kayaba is a person in this story who only played the role of god in his game (and indirectly through the technology he created), but it's still an interesting angle to me. It's also interesting given the way The Seed was placed into Kazuto's hands -- will he want to destroy every remnant of that reality steeped in tragedy, or try to create something new and better (based on the gift he was given of meeting Asuna)? (Well I think we know the answer already.) From the perspective of Kazuto and Asuna, I think the relationship they have with him is "complicated". I'm sure no one condones what he did in light of all those who died based on that decision. But they nevertheless did live in his world and it changed their lives indefinitely. They may do a lot if it could save those who were lost, but would they really want the time back for themselves?
And interesting perspective, though I find it VERY flawed.
Namely, in the case of God, without him you would have no life to begin with however in the case of Kayaba and SAO, the 10,000 players DID have lives before SAO. Kayaba basically KIDNAPPED them from their normal lives and stuck them inside of a death game; this includes children... They don't owe him their lives, they only owe him for the SAO world; and while they might have appreciated the world he created for them, they would have never paid the price he forced them to pay to get into that world. For stealing them from their normal and happy lives to trap them in a death game, they will never forgive him for that.

4,000 people are dead; some suffered so deeply that they were driven to suicide; some even went insane. They didn't get to grow, they get no life lessons; only death. And hell to make this all worse is that fact that Kayaba didn't do this for THEM, he did it for HIMSELF. He wanted to create and live in HIS fantasy world. That was his stated motivation. He COULD have had a motivation of wanting to test the extent of human ability to push people to discover their true selves or something like that, but when asked why he did it, that's not the answer he gave; he went with "I wanted my dream castle". In a sense its more like he regarded most of the players more like toys for his dream castle rather than people; they were only there to help him live his personal dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
No one is denying that. Not even Kirito. But it's still common courtesy to thank someone for helping you out of a jam.
Kirito's behavior seems to make him feel like he is denying it... First off, none of this would explain their nonchalant attitude at the end of episode 14, where they seem to just sympathize with his selfish desires instead of being angry that he effectively killed 4,000 people.

Second while it might be courteous to thank someone when they help you at such a critical and important time, kirito's behavior itself seems to indicate he seems to hold no grudges. I mean look at a lot of other cases where a villain comes back to help the hero; the atmosphere is often TENSE... Anger from the unforgivable things they have done in the past along with a lack of trust in the villains intentions; in the end the hero may except their help(they may even thank them), but they may not like it much and even be pissed that they needed their help... in the end, the feeling you get is that they a thankful for the help, but they aren't happy about it. The kind of Attitude characters use when they interact speaks for the history that those characters share; and nothing about kirito's attitude showed anykind of resentment for Kayaba's death game.
Old 2012-12-16, 20:31   Link #272
Dauerlutscher
I never asked for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Namely, in the case of God, without him you would have no life to begin with however in the case of Kayaba and SAO, the 10,000 players DID have lives before SAO. Kayaba basically KIDNAPPED them from their normal lives and stuck them inside of a death game; this includes children... They don't owe him their lives, they only owe him for the SAO world; and while they might have appreciated the world he created for them, they would have never paid the price he forced them to pay to get into that world. For stealing them from their normal and happy lives to trap them in a death game, they will never forgive him for that.

4,000 people are dead; some suffered so deeply that they were driven to suicide; some even went insane. They didn't get to grow, they get no life lessons; only death. And hell to make this all worse is that fact that Kayaba didn't do this for THEM, he did it for HIMSELF. He wanted to create and live in HIS fantasy world. That was his stated motivation. He COULD have had a motivation of wanting to test the extent of human ability to push people to discover their true selves or something like that, but when asked why he did it, that's not the answer he gave; he went with "I wanted my dream castle". In a sense its more like he regarded most of the players more like toys for his dream castle rather than people; they were only there to help him live his personal dream.

Kirito's behavior seems to make him feel like he is denying it... First off, none of this would explain their nonchalant attitude at the end of episode 14, where they seem to just sympathize with his selfish desires instead of being angry that he effectively killed 4,000 people.

Second while it might be courteous to thank someone when they help you at such a critical and important time, kirito's behavior itself seems to indicate he seems to hold no grudges. I mean look at a lot of other cases where a villain comes back to help the hero; the atmosphere is often TENSE... Anger from the unforgivable things they have done in the past along with a lack of trust in the villains intentions; in the end the hero may except their help(they may even thank them), but they may not like it much and even be pissed that they needed their help... in the end, the feeling you get is that they a thankful for the help, but they aren't happy about it. The kind of Attitude characters use when they interact speaks for the history that those characters share; and nothing about kirito's attitude showed anykind of resentment for Kayaba's death game.
Yet another point that demonstrates how facepalmworthy this show is.
Old 2012-12-16, 20:40   Link #273
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!

Quote:
Well i just heard that he is not really happy with some things in SAO and wants to rewrite it. What he changes and how important those things are, remains to be seen.
That's what SAO: Progressive is, an expanded version of the Aincrad arc that covers more floors, insteald of just the ones covered by the short stories and vol.1 of the novel, the first volume of Progressive is already out, as a matter of fact.

What's not in question however, is that Progressive is solely for the Aincrad arc.
Old 2012-12-16, 20:43   Link #274
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Kirito first met Kayaba when he was in limbo. He thought he died and would not be returning to the real world, while Kayaba was also about to disappear. Perhaps he just didn't find it worthwhile to spend the last moments of his life slapping Kayaba around. I find it natural for him to be asking Kayaba why he did such monstrous thing instead.

For the second meeting, he and Asuna were just saved by Kayaba in ALO. It just wasn't a good time to show grudges, especially then he was just talking to a digital residue of the real Kayaba.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 20:43   Link #275
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:

4,000 people are dead; some suffered so deeply that they were driven to suicide; some even went insane. They didn't get to grow, they get no life lessons; only death.
Good thoughts, and to be clear it wasn't necessarily my intention to disagree with this sort of view. The analogy is certainly incomplete because Kayaba is not actually "God" -- only a human who played as one and forced others to exist in his world. But, if you set this limitation aside, many of the points you raise can still apply to God if you stretch your mind a bit. Such as...

Quote:
And hell to make this all worse is that fact that Kayaba didn't do this for THEM, he did it for HIMSELF. He wanted to create and live in HIS fantasy world. That was his stated motivation. He COULD have had a motivation of wanting to test the extent of human ability to push people to discover their true selves or something like that, but when asked why he did it, that's not the answer he gave; he went with "I wanted my dream castle". In a sense its more like he regarded most of the players more like toys for his dream castle rather than people; they were only there to help him live his personal dream.
Setting aside Kayaba the false god for a second, believing in God's benevolence/"goodwill towards men" is a matter of faith. Many people are born to die without really having a chance to live (in crippling poverty, with fatal diseases, by senseless tragedies...) so coming to terms with this is one of humanity's great and timeless religious struggles. Here, Kayaba's malice is clear because we see him snuffing the freedom away from them. But humanity has always asked themselves: "if God really exists, and God really created us, why are we here and what does God want?" I wonder if the answers we got would be satisfactory by our thinking. What if he did all this for "Himself" in our view? Perhaps he didn't really have a reason that make sense, or he's "long since forgotten"? Who can understand the logic, and does it need a justification we can accept? Is not having a reason we can understand part of what makes him "God"?

It's just something fun to ponder in the context of this show, anyway.

Quote:
Yet another point that demonstrates how facepalmworthy this show is.
In my view, any show that can cause people to think about these sorts of issues is at least doing something right. The answers don't always have to be satisfactory, but we can at least ponder why they're not.
Old 2012-12-16, 21:47   Link #276
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
Kirito first met Kayaba when he was in limbo. He thought he died and would not be returning to the real world, while Kayaba was also about to disappear. Perhaps he just didn't find it worthwhile to spend the last moments of his life slapping Kayaba around. I find it natural for him to be asking Kayaba why he did such monstrous thing instead.
Ya can't really buy all of his feelings just dropping out of exsistence like that; especially since Kayaba's explanation just makes him out to be a selfish monster. And this would not explain why they seemed to essentially SYMPATHIZED with his dream when it lead to 4000 deaths

Quote:
For the second meeting, he and Asuna were just saved by Kayaba in ALO. It just wasn't a good time to show grudges, especially then he was just talking to a digital residue of the real Kayaba.
Again, as I said attitude speaks volumes for the kind of history characters share. If a character hates someone for something unforgivable then it should show in their attitude. IN a way they might find themselves in that position where they want to thank them, but the hate holds them back... Again, its a complicated situation that makes for a tense situation, and their second meeting had none of that. I mean just ask yourself this; if you did not watch the first half the series and did not know of Kayaba's role in the SAO death game, would this meeting between these two characters lead you to think that's these two were once ever enemies? Would ever get the feeling that Kayaba had done something as unforgivable horrible as trap thousands in a death game that kirito himself was part of? No you wouldn't... More than likely you would think they had a friendlier past with each other and that Kayaba himself was a good man. Two men who hold no grudges with eachother...

and that's why kirito's attitude is problematic. He either holds no grudges for what Kayaba did, or the writing is just sloppy.

Quote:
Good thoughts, and to be clear it wasn't necessarily my intention to disagree with this sort of view. The analogy is certainly incomplete because Kayaba is not actually "God" -- only a human who played as one and forced others to exist in his world. But, if you set this limitation aside, many of the points you raise can still apply to God if you stretch your mind a bit. Such as...

Setting aside Kayaba the false god for a second, believing in God's benevolence/"goodwill towards men" is a matter of faith. Many people are born to die without really having a chance to live (in crippling poverty, with fatal diseases, by senseless tragedies...) so coming to terms with this is one of humanity's great and timeless religious struggles. Here, Kayaba's malice is clear because we see him snuffing the freedom away from them. But humanity has always asked themselves: "if God really exists, and God really created us, why are we here and what does God want?" I wonder if the answers we got would be satisfactory by our thinking. What if he did all this for "Himself" in our view? Perhaps he didn't really have a reason that make sense, or he's "long since forgotten"? Who can understand the logic, and does it need a justification we can accept? Is not having a reason we can understand part of what makes him "God"?
The analogy is not incomplete because Kayaba is human, its incomplete because kayaba did not give those 10k players something of immeasurable value and that Kayaba's reason are more clear.

Without God you would have no life... if you suffered this creates a conundrum. Do you thank God for the life he gave you or the fact that you suffered. How much do you treasure the moments you lived versus how much you hate the times when you suffered. Life has an immeasurable worth to it which is what makes that question so difficult. Without God there wouldn't have been any happiness if your life at all as you would have never been born

But for the players they had lives before SAO, they had happiness; they had friends and family and most likely lived normal lives with nothing more than normal hardships. And if they had not found true happiness in their lives yet there is nothing saying they won't because they still have their lives ahead of them. What Kayaba created for the players in SAO can not be measured on the same scale as the gift of "life". What makes it worse is that what he "gave them" came at a VERY heavy price of risking that immeasurable gift of life; and players did not pay willingly... "live in this world of SAO at the high risk of your life" ... even if you in some way gained some happiness from the experience it would be easy to conclude that it was not worth it since there was always possibilities that you could have achieved similar happiness without his deathgame...

and unlike god, we KNOW Kayaba's reasons and they were selfish; in a sense he didn't give the players anything; even if they got something out of it, it was not part of his intent. He stole your lives so that he could play in his fantasy castle. With God it becomes something of a hot debate as their are so many possibilities an explanations with their counter points, but not so much with Kayaba as he is much more clear. He doesn't really deserve your thanks; not at the price paid

Kayaba's gift to the players was not as valuable as god's gift, came at a high price that they paid by force and he did it all for selfish reasons.
Old 2012-12-16, 21:53   Link #277
Oroboro
Endless Sorceror

Quote:
Ya can't really buy all of his feelings just dropping out of exsistence like that; especially since Kayaba's explanation just makes him out to be a selfish monster. And this would not explain why they seemed to essentially SYMPATHIZED with his dream when it lead to 4000 deaths

Again, as I said attitude speaks volumes for the kind of history characters share. If a character hates someone for something unforgivable then it should show in their attitude. IN a way they might find themselves in that position where they want to thank them, but the hate holds them back... Again, its a complicated situation that makes for a tense situation, and their second meeting had none of that. I mean just ask yourself this; if you did not watch the first half the series and did not know of Kayaba's role in the SAO death game, would this meeting between these two characters lead you to think that's these two were once ever enemies? Would ever get the feeling that Kayaba had done something as unforgivable horrible as trap thousands in a death game that kirito himself was part of? No you wouldn't... More than likely you would think they had a friendlier past with each other and that Kayaba himself was a good man. Two men who hold no grudges with eachother...
Their hatred for Kayaba is something that likely burned out over the course of two years, the same with whatever passion that originally drove Kayaba and he forgot in the first place.

That's not to say they forgive him, just holding on to emotions that strong for so long isn't really productive or useful. Kirito raged pretty hard during his fight, afterwords all that's really left is a sense of denouement, a bitterness, but the emotion to rage has passed, and would be pointless by then and would accomplish nothing.

Besides...

Kirito: Why did you kill those people?
Kayba: I forgot.
Kirito: Well screw you too buddy!
Kayaba: ... Well I was going to let you live, but if you're going to be a dick about it...

Last edited by Oroboro; 2012-12-16 at 22:13.
Oroboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 22:40   Link #278
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroboro View Post
Their hatred for Kayaba is something that likely burned out over the course of two years, the same with whatever passion that original drove Kayaba and he forgot in the first place.

That's not to say they forgive him, just holding on to emotions that strong for so long isn't really productive or useful. Kirito raged pretty hard during his fight, afterwords all that's really left is a sense of denouement, a bitterness, but the emotion to rage has passed, and would be pointless by then and would accomplish nothing.
Clearly it hadn't burned out since he was raging during their fight. Fact is this isn't something he did 2 years ago, but something he's effectively BEEN doing over the course of those 2 years. Even on the day they fought 14 people had died trying to free everyone else from the death game... in fact, I would get even angrier at Kayaba after hearing his reasons since they are completely selfish; instead kirito and asuna sympathize with him... At the very least I would want to make an attmpet to fill him with guilt over what he's done; its what he deserves.

And what "bitterness" are you referring too? because there was no sign of bitterness. The attitude that Kirito gives Kayaba seems to show no signs of anykind of grudge over what happened. Honestly you'd think trapping him a death game and killing 4000 people would make their meeting atleast a little awkward, but kirito acts as though bygones will be bygones

Heck I even what to compare Kayaba with Sugou as they are both monsters... Kayaba trapped 10,000 people in a death game, which in turn lead to the deaths of 4,000 of those people and all so he could live out his personal fantasy... Sugou on the other hand is tormenting 300 of those people for monsterous research and having his way with Asuna. They are both selfish monsters who toy with people's lives for their own personal ends... really the only thing that makes Sugou the bigger monster is that he's more sadistic, while Kayaba simply didn't care.
Old 2012-12-16, 22:54   Link #279
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!

Quote:
Clearly it hadn't burned out since he was raging during their fight. Fact is this isn't something he did 2 years ago, but something he's effectively BEEN doing over the course of those 2 years. Even on the day they fought 14 people had died trying to free everyone else from the death game... in fact, I would get even angrier at Kayaba after hearing his reasons since they are completely selfish; instead kirito and asuna sympathize with him... At the very least I would want to make an attmpet to fill him with guilt over what he's done; its what he deserves.
People engaged in mortal melee combat tends to be rage-y, just so you know

Ultimately, Kirito is Kirito, he's not you, he's not necessarily going to act/react the same way you do. I don't deny that the anime hasn't done a rather poor job in showing/clarifying his thoughts and feelings, but just because he didn't go bonkers when Kayaba showed up doesn't mean everything's forgiven.
Old 2012-12-16, 22:55   Link #280
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Pretty good episode. They didn't do too much rage as they could have, although disclothing Asuna was unnecessary. And if I was Kirito I would have unchained her once I gained admin rights... but other than that it was good. Enjoyed seeing Sugou get his ass handed to him. Always fun to see that kind of villain fall.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote