AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Chuunibyou

Notices

View Poll Results: Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! - Episode 12 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 45 33.58%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 35 26.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 20.15%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 11.19%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 4.48%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 2.24%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 2.24%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-12-21, 13:52   Link #101
garbage
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
awtz watched it a bit late, some of my initial thoughts before reading the thread.

gosh i felt the same way as yuuta coming in the club room, wow dekomori turned up so cute!!! ( and fully Loaded to boot! so she's not only a genius but also a full blown Oujosama! dafaq) but obviously she's just playing the part there.

I liked this conversation sequence >
yuuta : that's deep
Nibutani : no you're just shallow
yeah ! that's what I'm talking about! yuuta deserved that... the wisdom of mori summer, and the wisdom of DFM too. but he abandoned that "true" side of his person. I always wondered why people always wanted to be "normal" or "just like any other joe around the block" hmm, i think I've always loved being different so it's hard for me to understand this, as DFM wrote in the letter "reducing yourself to pathetic commoner" makes no sense to me.
It was funny too how they tied it to that Mayan Calendar Apocalypse thingy, ahaha right on the dot, dec 21, 2012. there goes the wave of negative energy
and from kumin): "..she thought you were so much cooler than she was because you were true to yourself"
Luckily DFM was wise enough to write that letter for his fallen side in the future, hmmm prescience powers too huh! His "...banishment this world sequence " is the best yet in the show for me. Rikka was so cute during that balcony jump scene , during the bike chase scene at the end trying to banish the police car , lolz, and even more so in the end tie up scene in the balcony, where everything comes back full circle.

it's great that everyone in the club had some meaningful part in this last episode with the almost always asleep Kumin leading the charge!.

It was a good ride though short, wish we had more time to get really involved with the story and the characters. still Kyoani shows again that they do know how to make good anime.
garbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 15:10   Link #102
inisipis
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mandaluyong, Philippines
A very touching and sweet ending. Reminds us that to love someone we must accept everything they are regardless of their faults, and fully support them in all their troubles and trials, help them to be better, with faith that the other will treat you and feel about you much as you were.

The story is in a way more of Yuuta's growth than of Rikka's. It is him that we watch as he learns and live as he try to deal with growing up and being in love to someone who's hard to be in love with.
inisipis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 15:15   Link #103
frodonk
Master of Killing Time
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The World God Only Knows
I'll probably will never know why, of all the people in that world, yuuta chose the insane girl. I will also never understand why he didn't choose nibutani. the only conclusion i could come up with is that yuuta also has a mental condition.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 16:31   Link #104
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
I'll probably will never know why, of all the people in that world, yuuta chose the insane girl. I will also never understand why he didn't choose nibutani. the only conclusion i could come up with is that yuuta also has a mental condition.
Why did he chose Rikka?

1. He was like her. She reminded him of of his old self which he is trying to suppress if not. That made him somewhat drawn to her.

2. Rikka always disturbs him. Guess his attention is drawn to her as well..

3. Though, I was hoping for a love triangle at the beginning, Nibutani didn't show any interest to Yuuta. *Did she?

4. Rikka is a clumsy girl... and in anime clumsy girls are cute.. Yet she is cute...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 17:26   Link #105
Goggen
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
I'll probably will never know why, of all the people in that world, yuuta chose the insane girl. I will also never understand why he didn't choose nibutani. the only conclusion i could come up with is that yuuta also has a mental condition.
What do you mean, "chose"? This wasn't a harem show. Nibutani was never his to "choose", nor were any of the other girls. It was always Rikka, only Rikka. No one else ever even had any romantic interest in him.
__________________
KEION!GEEK - a K-On! fan blog
Goggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 17:42   Link #106
taofd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Ending felt a little rushed, but still gave it a 10 for the wow factor. A lot deeper than I expected.

For those that didn't get it, the final assertion in the ending is that:

Spoiler for Spoiler:


I suspect this is a not-so-subtle tie-in to the current otaku/neet culture in Japan, and the assumption that otaku are unable to function in society, when the exact opposite is actually true.

Preempt:
Before anyone responds with the assertion that it's "dangerous to think that way". Everyone in the show was socially functional. They all attended school, did reasonably well in school (especially dekomori), and were fully capable of functioning in a societal context at no risk or detriment to others. I think this was perhaps a little unrealistic as most individuals operating in this self-delusion probably wouldn't or couldn't stop at their own will without significant external intervention. Also, even by medical definition -- a disorder must require "clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning", so the fact that they were all behaving this way would suggest this was a choice in lifestyle.

And that's what the ending came down to -- a choice.
taofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 18:29   Link #107
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
I'll probably will never know why, of all the people in that world, yuuta chose the insane girl. I will also never understand why he didn't choose nibutani. the only conclusion i could come up with is that yuuta also has a mental condition.
I think it was pretty clear that the Yuuta of Episode 4 or so likely would have chosen Nibutani... but she ultimately gave him the cold shoulder. The implications of some of her words after "the mask came off" was rather clear, imo. She had no romantic interest in Yuuta, and her hints to that affect were obvious to Yuuta, I think.

As for Dekomori, she was absolutely lovely in this episode, but her appeal as bolas-hair girl wasn't so obvious, imo.

So that leave Rikka and Kumin. As much as I like Kumin, I can understand someone preferring a girl like Rikka.



Quote:
Originally Posted by taofd View Post

I suspect this is a not-so-subtle tie-in to the current otaku/neet culture in Japan, and the assumption that otaku are unable to function in society, when the exact opposite is actually true.
Otaku, yes. The links between "chuunibyou" and "otaku" seem fairly clear-cut to me.

But not so much NEET. "NEET" means "Not in Employment, Education, or Training". All of these kids are in "Education", after all.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 18:45   Link #108
taofd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Otaku, yes. The links between "chuunibyou" and "otaku" seem fairly clear-cut to me.

But not so much NEET. "NEET" means "Not in Employment, Education, or Training". All of these kids are in "Education", after all.
The kids are being educated yes, but not necessarily the rest of the population this is meant to be a social commentary on .
taofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 18:54   Link #109
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Quote:
Originally Posted by taofd View Post
The kids are being educated yes, but not necessarily the rest of the population this is meant to be a social commentary on .
Still not quite true. Otaku goods are EXPENSIVE. There's no way anyone can afford being an otaku in Japan without having a stable job (technically, a stable source of income, but jobs is the most common thing to provide that). If you ask me, having jobs is functioning in society alright.
__________________
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 19:04   Link #110
taofd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Still not quite true. Otaku goods are EXPENSIVE. There's no way anyone can afford being an otaku in Japan without having a stable job (technically, a stable source of income, but jobs is the most common thing to provide that). If you ask me, having jobs is functioning in society alright.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm not arguing against what you're saying. I'm just saying that in society's eyes Otakus and Neets are often lumped in the same category.

Which is why I said:

Quote:
...the assumption that otaku are unable to function in society, when the exact opposite is actually true.
taofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 19:06   Link #111
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by taofd View Post
The kids are being educated yes, but not necessarily the rest of the population this is meant to be a social commentary on .
Chuunibyou is not a social commentary supporting people who live in fantasy all the time. If it was, Rikka would have just stayed the way she was in the first 8 or so episodes.

Chuunibyou is saying it's fine to have fantasies, and engage in some silliness sometimes, but also that you have to face reality sometimes.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 19:16   Link #112
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
"Serious mode on and off" like thing....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 19:33   Link #113
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Quote:
Originally Posted by taofd View Post
Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm not arguing against what you're saying. I'm just saying that in society's eyes Otakus and Neets are often lumped in the same category.

Which is why I said:
Whooops, my bad I overlooked that last part of your post.
__________________
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 22:08   Link #114
taofd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Chuunibyou is not a social commentary supporting people who live in fantasy all the time. If it was, Rikka would have just stayed the way she was in the first 8 or so episodes.

Chuunibyou is saying it's fine to have fantasies, and engage in some silliness sometimes, but also that you have to face reality sometimes.
I don't disagree with your assertion that it's not okay to *completely* live in the fantasy, but I disagree in terms of the premise of the story.

I think the point they were making was that
Spoiler for spoiler:


It's something that we may or may not disagree with, but whether or not we disagree is an entirely another issue. It's pretty much said nearly verbatim by the old-middle aged male voice at the very end of episode 12.
taofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 22:51   Link #115
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
So THAT was the end the Mayan prophecy was supposed to herald

Welp since my own chuuni syndrome lies just barely under my skin I guess that means I survived with Rikka and co

Take that 2012 www
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-21, 23:47   Link #116
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
A great ending i have to say, especially when it's original ending. Fantasy triumph for once. Rikka Baizai. Chuunibyou Baizai!!!!! \(^ ^)/



But sadly KyoAni made a mistake here with this ending... They let Dekomori (non-chuunibyou version) stole the show. Elegant rich ojousama + gap mode comparing to her normal antic = moe at highest level. And did anyone notice how it's official now that Dekomori has always making excuse over 'Mori Summer' to fight Nibotani ? She still hit Shinka even when she's not in chuunibyou mode.




Tsundere? Both of them?
__________________
risingstar3110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 01:28   Link #117
frodonk
Master of Killing Time
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The World God Only Knows
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Why did he chose Rikka?

1. He was like her. She reminded him of of his old self which he is trying to suppress if not. That made him somewhat drawn to her.

2. Rikka always disturbs him. Guess his attention is drawn to her as well..

3. Though, I was hoping for a love triangle at the beginning, Nibutani didn't show any interest to Yuuta. *Did she?

4. Rikka is a clumsy girl... and in anime clumsy girls are cute.. Yet she is cute...
sorry, i'll just think out loud here.

1. if we are talking about being similar, then aren't yuuta and nibutani more similar in that they've just recovered from the syndrome? yeah sure he might have remembered himself in rikka whenever he sees her, but it has been pointed out again and again that for those who had recovered from the syndrome, remembering all those things they've done is very embarrassing for them, which means that yuuta should always feel embarrassed whenever he sees rikka doing those things.

2. this might be a good explanation. rikka was always somewhere near yuuta, whether in the balcony rappelling down or somewhere in his room. so its possible that yuuta started to like her because they were always near each other, but he only got to realize it after he hugged her.

3. she did, the best moments of the series for me was when they were alone together and talking about things, I mean, most of the meaningful dialogue in the series were between either yuuta and nibutani or tooka, and whenever yuuta talks to rikka about things its either she has this dazed look in his eyes or she is talking about the bureau or something.

4. yeah, can't argue with that. "mental conditions are moe" and "what can you do she's the main heroine" are invalid arguments i think but are still true.

Quote:
What do you mean, "chose"? This wasn't a harem show. Nibutani was never his to "choose", nor were any of the other girls. It was always Rikka, only Rikka. No one else ever even had any romantic interest in him.
bad choice of words on my part, by "choose" I meant that (at least for me) nibutani was the better girl in all aspects, but in the end it was still rikka who yuuta "chose" or fell for. I might be trying to understand through reason something that can never be understood rationally, as was said by the bald guy in ep12 (you don't need a reason to love or something along those lines) but given everything that was shown, i still don't get how they ended up together.

as for the second sentence, if we are to extend that line of reasoning, it is as if yuuta had no other choice but to also show romantic interest to rikka because she's the only one who showed interest. I don't think that's a very good reason.

Quote:
I think it was pretty clear that the Yuuta of Episode 4 or so likely would have chosen Nibutani... but she ultimately gave him the cold shoulder. The implications of some of her words after "the mask came off" was rather clear, imo. She had no romantic interest in Yuuta, and her hints to that affect were obvious to Yuuta, I think.
again, that doesn't mean that yuuta would've fallen for rikka instead just because nibutani didn't show any interest in him. but lol, it wouldn't have been an interesting series to watch if all they would show is yuuta chasing after a disinterested nibutani for 8 more episodes after that.

TL;DR

I'm a Nibutani Shinka fanboy and I am ranting about why she isn't the main heroine.

Last edited by frodonk; 2012-12-22 at 01:33. Reason: i frogot something
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 04:05   Link #118
Cloudenvy
.
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Eh, it ended up being okay. I found all the characters to be pretty lackluster and the fact that the last two episodes drove the drama so far up to the point of hilariousness just made that even more apparrent. It had some decent comedy moments and even transitioned into serious mode fairly well, but the last 2 episodes were just silly.

5/10 for me!
Cloudenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 07:28   Link #119
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Xanadu
Age: 22
good finale for good anime...

although it's little sad for Mori Summer X Dark Flame Master's shipper...
it's good enough... although not enough development in other characters..
at least, they give a decent conclusion in Rikka and Yuuta's relationship

the closing speech from narrator also conclude this show very well....

but still, the best part in this episode is Dekomori... who the hell is that cutie?!?!?!

excellent job!
__________________

even if you can't see me, even if you can't hear me, I'll be by your side (Kaname Madoka, 2011)
anime list
manga list
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-22, 13:18   Link #120
Afternoon Tea
Ta~Da!!
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Illinois, United States
Age: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to Afternoon Tea
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
But sadly KyoAni made a mistake here with this ending... They let Dekomori (non-chuunibyou version) stole the show.
As cute as it was, to me she did not steal the show. It shocked me because of her change, something strange from the usual. it was interesting too see the character develop unfold. The story had me at the edge with sweet hearten ending! Loved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Chuunibyou is saying it's fine to have fantasies, and engage in some silliness sometimes, but also that you have to face reality sometimes.
This right here, Perfect, Couldn't have said any better~
__________________
====
Signature:
Yui Hirasawa
====
MyBlog:
Blog!

====
Quote:
"I'll send
all my loving
to you.
"


Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.