AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 65 63.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 27.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 5 4.85%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 0.97%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.97%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.97%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.97%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.97%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-12-23, 11:01   Link #121
klare
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
nice actions with the hunter's game but the Makishima part was so tense...

have a feeling Makishima would be just a normal guy in today's world, he is a monster created under Sibyl system, also surprise that his rating dropped to zero!

so are we expecting to see Enforcer Tsunemori next?
__________________
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 11:16   Link #122
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
have a feeling Makishima would be just a normal guy in today's world, he is a monster created under Sibyl system, also surprise that his rating dropped to zero!


How does that work exactly? Are you implying that Makishima was *oppressed* into being a monster by being told by the Sybil system that he was psychologically healthy?


Excuse me. I'm calling bullshit on that. If your existential angst over being told you're mentally healthy despite some odd thoughts in your head compels you to go become a criminal master mind serial killer...then I'm sorry. The computer was wrong when it assessed you. You WERE a monster to begin with.


Makishima is a clever little pretentious shitbag. He'd think of other pretentious pseudo philosophical reasons to go kill people even if he lived in a non Sybil system. His man gripe with the Sybil system seems to be that it DOESN'T recognize him as an innately evil human being.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 11:38   Link #123
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Part of it sure, but the main gripe appears with how pathetic it made the society...from his point of view, it'd have taken any of the fun from commiting his crimes. He seems like the hunter in a sense
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 12:31   Link #124
azarhal
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
so are we expecting to see Enforcer Tsunemori next?
I doubt it. Since the first episode we keep being reminded how she have a perfect hue despite the high stress job...just like Makishima.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 12:32   Link #125
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Part of it sure, but the main gripe appears with how pathetic it made the society...from his point of view, it'd have taken any of the fun from commiting his crimes. He seems like the hunter in a sense
Well it's a real tragedy that a slime-ball like Makishima doesn't like this society, because it doesn't let him get his murder jollies properly.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 16:24   Link #126
InfiniteDistance
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: the Netherlands
Age: 28
The direction this series is going towards is hardly a surprise. I'm still enjoying it immensely, however. Especially Akane, she seems down to earth in a manner that it almost realistic . It appears Makishima is going to be a catalyst of sorts for Akane.

So far, I've been enjoying this show the most this season
__________________
Unser Leben geht dahin wie ein Geschwätz
InfiniteDistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 17:36   Link #127
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Maybe the shotgun represents "freedom, liberty, and personality responsibility" while the Dominator represents "obedience, order, and following the system no matter what". Not sure what that would have to do with which specific hand she's holing each gun in, though.
Really? Because I was under the impression that the shotgun represents murder, murder, and murder.


Aside from that, I don't particularly view Akane as pathetic.


The dominator refused to turn on. This is a completely unprecedented thing. Akane just didn't know WHAT to do. Everything that happened went against everything that made sense.

When things differ from the norm it's uncomfortable enough, but when things take the norm, eat it up, shit it out, and toss it out of an airplane, it does more to a person than just make them confused.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 17:46   Link #128
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Really? Because I was under the impression that the shotgun represents murder, murder, and murder.
And a cigar represents smoking, smoking, and smoking. A cigar couldn't possibly symbolize something, right?


Quote:
The dominator refused to turn on. This is a completely unprecedented thing.
We haven't seen it happen before in this anime, but its always been possible. A basic assessment of the Dominator makes it clear that it won't shoot just anybody. Someone has to have a reasonably high crime coefficient for the Dominator to allow itself to shoot that someone.

I mean, people on this subforum were wondering if the Dominator had a manual override several episodes ago. If we viewers are wondering this, and questioning this, then surely the characters themselves who's lives depend on a functioning Dominator ought to be cognizant of this as well.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 18:04   Link #129
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Really? Because I was under the impression that the shotgun represents murder, murder, and murder.
Same thing, in Makishima's mind.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 18:31   Link #130
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I mean, people on this subforum were wondering if the Dominator had a manual override several episodes ago. If we viewers are wondering this, and questioning this, then surely the characters themselves who's lives depend on a functioning Dominator ought to be cognizant of this as well.
Ah, see, and this is where you are wrong. Akane is not the people on this subforum. She does not live in the real world of 2012. The fact that their lives depend on the dominator is the exact reason they are different from you. A person who has violent or otherwise criminal tendencies is OK'd by the gizmo to be shot. This is reality. This is a guy who is clearly committing some sort of crime, but the gizmo's showing that he actually isn't. This contradicts reality. She literally could not believe it was happening because it goes against everything she considers "real".
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 18:45   Link #131
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Ah, see, and this is where you are wrong.
No, I am not wrong. You are overstating your argument.


Quote:
Akane is not the people on this subforum. She does not live in the real world of 2012.
That doesn't mean she's not aware of the history of her world. She's also working alongside at least one person who was a cop pre-Sibyl. Akane does have points of possible contrast here if she's willing to make use of them. The Sibyl system having some possible flaws to it was made perfectly clear to Akane prior to this episode. If Akane's not willing to think outside the box when given some reason to do so, then that's her own fault, imo.


Quote:
The fact that their lives depend on the dominator is the exact reason they are different from you.
Yeah, they obviously should care more about the Dominator and its obvious, inherent limitations than I should. They should realize that there are times that it might shut down on them.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 18:52   Link #132
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That doesn't mean she's not aware of the history of her world. She's also working alongside at least one person who was a cop pre-Sibyl. Akane does have points of possible contrast here if she's willing to make use of them. The Sibyl system having some possible flaws to it was made perfectly clear to Akane prior to this episode. If Akane's not willing to think outside the box when given some reason to do so, then that's her own fault, imo.
Harsh. It's a matter of training as much as anything. It's like having to do big calculations very fast, and finding out your calculator tells you 2+2=5. Also, someone will die if you get it wrong. It might take some time for most people to remember about pen and paper. And yes, the system has flaws. But until Makishima, if you pointed a Dominator at a criminal, you never got a false negative.

I mean, astronauts are trained on what to do if their instruments go haywire. And there are all kinds of redundancies. Poor Akane wasn't, and there aren't.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 19:10   Link #133
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Yeah, they obviously should care more about the Dominator and its obvious, inherent limitations than I should. They should realize that there are times that it might shut down on them.
What obvious inherent limitations?


Of course I would especially like an explanation of how it is "obvious", from an in-character point of view.

Last edited by Dengar; 2012-12-23 at 19:25.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-23, 20:33   Link #134
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: in a van by the river
Yuki's death is probaly what will lead Akane to start thinking outside the box and going on her own natural instincts though...at least, that's the impression I'm getting with this episode, since it's at the halfway point now.


Wow. It's been a long, long, LONG time since I watched an anime that actually made me think

On a more lighter note: I know I can't be the only one seriously getting Ko/Akane vibes more and more...especially when he tried to comfort her in the end despite his own wounds.
GDiddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 01:42   Link #135
Eclipze
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
What obvious inherent limitations?


Of course I would especially like an explanation of how it is "obvious", from an in-character point of view.
Like the episode where they were in a network-disable factory that completely shuts down the use of the dominator? It's retarded how the weapon is completely unusable without connecting to the system, so all it takes is to shut down/disable the system, even for a few hours, and all the criminals can come out to play. This is why the lack of a manual override is bad.
__________________
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 02:05   Link #136
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
Like the episode where they were in a network-disable factory that completely shuts down the use of the dominator? It's retarded how the weapon is completely unusable without connecting to the system, so all it takes is to shut down/disable the system, even for a few hours, and all the criminals can come out to play. This is why the lack of a manual override is bad.
Well, if episode 1 is anything to go by, wearing an anti-brain scanning helmet makes the gun useless as well.

Regarding the manual override, considering the enforcers are essentially considered "criminals" already, there's a whole can of worms that can be opened if you bypass the safety mechanism.
I do wonder if it's possible to knock the gun user unconscious and "force" them to pull the trigger.
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 02:34   Link #137
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
But Akane's an inspector. She should have elevated privileges.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 02:44   Link #138
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
So was Kogami, but imagine what could happen after discovering his old partner's body, then overriding the Dominator.
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 04:53   Link #139
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
Like the episode where they were in a network-disable factory that completely shuts down the use of the dominator? It's retarded how the weapon is completely unusable without connecting to the system, so all it takes is to shut down/disable the system, even for a few hours, and all the criminals can come out to play. This is why the lack of a manual override is bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
Well, if episode 1 is anything to go by, wearing an anti-brain scanning helmet makes the gun useless as well.
Exactly. It's not like this is the first time that the reliability and/or usefulness of the Dominator has been called into question. It is a little bit crazy that Inspectors aren't given old-fashioned handguns to use as side-arms in case you get a scenario like one of the above (or like the one in this episode).

But then, I think that Kanon is right here. The idea is to absolve the police officers from feeling any sort of real culpability over taking the life of a perp. This is good for their psychological wellness, but its also bad for their personal sense of responsibility.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Harsh. It's a matter of training as much as anything. It's like having to do big calculations very fast, and finding out your calculator tells you 2+2=5. Also, someone will die if you get it wrong. It might take some time for most people to remember about pen and paper. And yes, the system has flaws. But until Makishima, if you pointed a Dominator at a criminal, you never got a false negative.

I mean, astronauts are trained on what to do if their instruments go haywire. And there are all kinds of redundancies. Poor Akane wasn't, and there aren't.
The problem is more societal in nature than specific to Akane herself, yes.

However, I don't think that Makishima being disappointed in her is hard to understand.

I mean, if the same situation unfolds with Kougami in Akane's spot, I'm inclined to think that Kougami puts down the Dominator, uses the shotgun with both hands, and blows Makishima away.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 08:02   Link #140
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Well it's a real tragedy that a slime-ball like Makishima doesn't like this society, because it doesn't let him get his murder jollies properly.
Well no worries, since he'll have a high chance of being offed in the end...

The question which is more important is that this being a Gen show, will he get offed in a manner that utterly crushes and defeats his screwed up views or will he annoyingly, get the last laugh in
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.