AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-04-03, 19:46   Link #1
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Character Design Fails

Hi. This thread is about character design fails in anime, manga, light novels, and video games.

What got me the idea for this thread is the pic below. I went onto rightstuf.com and they always have some characters from some animes on the top of the main page. What pic is shown is random. I've seen this Junjo Romantica image before. Here is the image:

What I've made note of is some "character design fail". So you can see some semes with some ukes, the anime is a BL anime. Notice how all three ukes pretty much look the same (the one in the middle stands out a bit more, but not by much). Also notice how two of the semes look pretty much the same (the one on the left and the one on the right). Now I wouldn't say any of the characters there are fail when it comes to character design, but the fail here is how three look the same and two others look the same. It is like the guy who created the characters was really lacking in creativity when he was handed the job.

So, what characters do you think have 'character design fail'? Or have you seen character design fail encompassing a main cast like I have? Or perhaps from a couple (two characters that don't really look good together). Be ready to explain your reasons why, because you may pick a character/s someone here really likes and they'll probably contend with you.

In this thread, people can point out any type of fail. Maybe they like the way a character looks, but hate their attire. Or maybe they like most of the character's design, but hate one particular thing about it.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2013-04-03 at 23:47.
Old 2013-04-03, 23:27   Link #2
Darthtabby

As much as I liked the show and its characters, I'm going to nominate Tari Tari for this. Simply because its so easy for newcomers to the show to get some of the main characters mixed up early on.

Old 2013-04-03, 23:46   Link #3
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
As much as I liked the show and its characters, I'm going to nominate Tari Tari for this. Simply because its so easy for newcomers to the show to get some of the main characters mixed up early on.

Yeah, just from the characters in that picture, you can see that those two girls on the right look very similar. Are there other characters in the show that look very similar?
Old 2013-04-04, 00:03   Link #4
Westlo
Lets be reality

It's pretty easy to tell which one of those two is saws, one has a nice pair of knockers, oh and her hair color is different and you see her with the horses etc.
Old 2013-04-04, 00:23   Link #5
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
It's pretty easy to tell which one of those two is saws, one has a nice pair of knockers, oh and her hair color is different and you see her with the horses etc.
Their hair color is different, but quite similar. It isn't all that bad, but if those two are part of the main cast, I could see some wishing they didn't look so similar. I don't know if I'd call this a pet peeve, but if I see some characters in a main cast that look very similar (not siblings), I feel like the person who created the characters for the main cast were uninspired. I think it is important to have main characters and 2nd tier characters that stand out from each other. 3 tier characters/real minor characters, if some of them look similar to other characters, it isn't so bad since they don't have prominent screen time.

I think variety is a good thing in character designs, especially for main characters. I started watching Cat Planet Cuties recently, and the five main females are a good example of a main cast with good variety. Here is a pic of them.

They all really stand out from each other. To me, this is desirable. It is okay if some characters resemble themselves quite a bit, but it is good if they have some distinguishing qualities. Now, think back to the pic I put in the OP, look again at the uke on the left and the uke on the right...if some characters look almost exactly the same, I think that is...certainly a shortcoming on the part of the artist that created the characters.
Old 2013-04-04, 01:20   Link #6
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

I have to say that some artists have problems with character design.

> Buriki suffers from "same face syndrome". Although this isn't as obvious in Season 1 of Haganai, Haganai NEXT exposes this flaw when Rika started changing her hairstyle.
> Maybe [Tasogare Otome x Amnesia] has some anatomy problems with characters who are either sideways or in a profile view (half-upfront and half to the side).
> Kubo Tite clearly shines when it comes to fashion, but his weakness is creating characters with unique features.
> There's also Lovely Idol, that may also pose problems to those who have difficulty in distinguishing characters.
Excited for Mitou Shoukan://Blood Sign?

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 214. Plan to watch: 33.

Old 2013-04-04, 01:33   Link #7
Westlo
Lets be reality

- Honestly have no problem picking out the characters in the OP or in Tari Tari.

- Shit like that pic from Asobi ni Ikuyo! is what I don't like, also they aren't main characters at all apart from Eris.

- Talk of Kubo's weakness and no mention of.... "The Heart"?
Old 2013-04-04, 01:48   Link #8
Traece
:cool:

I think the biggest character design fail is obvious if you take the time to point out how many different shows since Haruhi, Lucky Star, and K-On have featured characters that look suspiciously like characters from those shows.
Old 2013-04-04, 01:51   Link #9
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

Quote:
- Talk of Kubo's weakness and no mention of.... "The Heart"?
That a background gripe. The topic's about character designs.
Excited for Mitou Shoukan://Blood Sign?

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 214. Plan to watch: 33.

Old 2013-04-04, 04:58   Link #10
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人

There's a 3:1 ratio of lolibod:adult-figured characters in your typical moéblob/4-girl/slice of life anime. Talk about body type prejudice!
My MALLet's do a head count here. We've got a ruthless spearman, a girl with a thousand muskets, a near-psycho fighting for love, and a deity who lives up to her status. You've managed to piss them all off. When they come, and they will, they're coming for you

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ I have an army

We have a Goddess
Old 2013-04-04, 05:14   Link #11
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
..... since Haruhi,....., and K-On have featured characters that look suspiciously like characters from those shows.
add Kokoro Connect and Tamako Market... oh yeah.. Hyouka probably as well....
Old 2013-04-04, 06:06   Link #12
totoum
Gamer

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
add Kokoro Connect and Tamako Market... oh yeah.. Hyouka probably as well....
Well yeah Kokoro Connect,K-on and Tamako Market all share the same chara designer

However for Hyouka

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-04-04, 06:39   Link #13
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Tari Tari character design hating? Oh boy where do I start .
Old 2013-04-04, 08:30   Link #14
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I didn't have too much problem with the Tari Tari character designs... but yeah, Sawa and Wakana would have benefited from one of them having more colorful hair or more distinct eyes (let's say one of them had green eyes).

While I can understand some disliking "anime hair", I honestly believe its just about necessary (you can call it "necessary evil" if you dislike it ) to have "anime hair" given how streamlined modern anime faces are.

The days of anime facial structure being as diverse as what we see in Mari-Mite is now well behind us...

When anime faces are this distinct, you can get away with normal hair.
Old 2013-04-04, 08:45   Link #15
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem

Haganai's "same face" syndrome gets very jarring.

My other pet peeve would be about Nanoha StrikerS. I mean, our grown-up heroines, looked like their own young head got glued over adult body. They were supposed to be 19 y/o, wouldn't it hurt to make them look a little older? I prefer Kiseki Himura's take on them. His Hayate looks fucking boss.
Old 2013-04-04, 12:17   Link #16
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
I definitely had to take about 3 episodes to start properly distinguishing between Wakana and Sawa. However, I'd say Tari Tari was quite diverse as the plethora of side characters were all easy to identify.

The Sawa/Waka curve is exactly the feeling I got from Yui/Ritsu in the first season of K-ON though. :9
Old 2013-04-04, 12:39   Link #17
james0246

I really hate the character designs for Madoka. I never had problems telling the characters apart, but their very designs were repulsive to me. Often I would find myself starring at the gorgeous backgrounds/settings just so I didn't have to look at the awful potato shaped heads and fugly faces with atrocious hair and horrendous clothes.
Old 2013-04-04, 17:22   Link #18
james0246

Do to our trend away from "Best/Worst/Hate" topics, this thread has been closed for now. Hopefully a new thread with a revamped topic will be opened in the future.
Closed Thread