AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-07-08, 21:40   Link #1
Behemoth
I N S A N I T Y
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
History / Martial-Arts Manga/Manwha/Manhua

This is something that I've been really interested in for some time now, sadly I've run out of these genres to read. I realize most of these are still ongoing, actually probably all of them.

What I really like about these is first and foremost, they are male. It is not that I'm a misogynist, or that I am someone whom believes that men are of higher stature. I just read manga/manwha/manhua in a way where I put myself into the seat of the protagonist, and I cannot achieve that with a female lead. So if I read something where the majority of the focus is on the female, I have a hard time enjoying it.

I like the getting stronger / getting different views on life / growing up parts of these series that I will list down below, that I have very much enjoyed so far, so that is a big plus. The sense of progress.

If you have read/seen atleast one of these series that I've listed, you will know that the art is absolutely astounding. Not to say I will not enjoy something that has less than impressive art, it is just something that contributes towards my enjoyment.

It doesn't have to involve real history, or history at all for that matter, as long as it holds the growing up part, of growing stronger, and generally growing up.

Martial-Arts is a must, unless it includes other kind of progressive skill combat = gunfighting, magic, etc. it is very acceptable as well.

So far I've liked/read:
Vinland Saga
Blood and Steel
Feng Shen Ji
Kingdom
Vagabond
a lot more than rests in the back of my head, which I can't seem to bring out


I hope I've been specific enough, and that I will receive some suggestions. Don't be afraid to suggest something, if you think I might like it, as I will take a look at it, and come back with feedback!

Last edited by Behemoth; 2013-07-13 at 21:27.
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 21:53   Link #2
Kirito
Unlimited Flag Works!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to Kirito Send a message via Skype™ to Kirito
Okay here's what I have.

Ahem:

I can't recall anything historical or whatever, but I can recall two Martial Arts mangas called Holy Land and Taboo Tattoo. Don't worry, the leads are male and I'm sure they'll have what you're looking for. I don't know if you've seen these, but this is all I can offer at the moment.
__________________
Kirito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 21:57   Link #3
jedinat
フリーター
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 28
Kenji - completed kung fu manga
All Rounder Meguru - realistic MMA manga
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 21:57   Link #4
Behemoth
I N S A N I T Y
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarami View Post
Okay here's what I have.

Ahem:

I can't recall anything historical or whatever, but I can recall two Martial Arts mangas called Holy Land and Taboo Tattoo. Don't worry, the leads are male and I'm sure they'll have what you're looking for. I don't know if you've seen these, but this is all I can offer at the moment.
Aha. Thank you very much! I've read both of these before, but I never did follow-up with the multiple updates. I wonder how far they've gotten since last time I read them..
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 22:00   Link #5
Behemoth
I N S A N I T Y
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Kenji - completed kung fu manga
All Rounder Meguru - realistic MMA manga
I seem to recall having read KENJI but I can't remember what for... But I definitely did not finish it, and I remember enjoy it, so I will definitely start reading it. And I believe I've read All Rounder Meguru before, but I never did get far.. I felt that the fighting was slightly slow-paced, but I might be crudely wrong.
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 22:48   Link #6
king12354
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Shin Angyo Onshi, Id, both are very good reads.
king12354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 01:39   Link #7
Behemoth
I N S A N I T Y
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354 View Post
Shin Angyo Onshi, Id, both are very good reads.
I absolutely love ID! I've read it multiple times.. I'm actually not sure why I haven't read Shin Angyo Onshi, because I am 99% sure I've heard of it, and even read it..
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-12, 16:59   Link #8
Tenzen12
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Ryuuroden - Two middleschoolers (girl and boy) get transported by dragon in time to the "Three Kingdoms" period of China. And soon got separated. protagonist has to mature quickly, use all his knowledge of history, wits and of course become one of major badasses in waring states.

Tenzen12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-12, 18:26   Link #9
Behemoth
I N S A N I T Y
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Ryuuroden - Two middleschoolers (girl and boy) get transported by dragon in time to the "Three Kingdoms" period of China. And soon got separated. protagonist has to mature quickly, use all his knowledge of history, wits and of course become one of major badasses in waring states.

Oh god, that looks epic.. I never gave Ryuuroden much of a chance, as the art managed to scare me away, and it didn't seem like the boy was going towards becoming an martial artist, but I'll definitely have to read it through now. Thanks a lot! And thank you for looking at this post, it's was inactive for a few days.
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-13, 15:35   Link #10
Elegance
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Feng Shen Ji I haveant read it yet but I hear many good things with no complaints. Also the art is excellent & full color. Its a Historical/Martial Art about a Emperor against Gods. I just noticed it on your list but spelled wrong

Holyland a fav of mine. The lead grows from fear of losing his place to using martial arts to protect it

Ares is good though you have to get used to the art. Its about incredibly yet young warriors fight in wars as a mercenarcy group
Elegance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-13, 21:34   Link #11
Behemoth
I N S A N I T Y
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegance View Post
Feng Shen Ji I haveant read it yet but I hear many good things with no complaints. Also the art is excellent & full color. Its a Historical/Martial Art about a Emperor against Gods. I just noticed it on your list but spelled wrong

Holyland a fav of mine. The lead grows from fear of losing his place to using martial arts to protect it

Ares is good though you have to get used to the art. Its about incredibly yet young warriors fight in wars as a mercenarcy group
Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Sadly, Feng Shen Ji is already on my list of things I've read, and someone has already suggested Holyland in the second comment. Thanks a lot for suggesting Ares however, I sadly finished it already! And in relation to growth in strength, he doesn't seem to change much, he only shows different levels of it.
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.