AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-04-15, 19:00   Link #1
Muad'Dib
The Burninator

Discrepancies in downloading size

So, I'm downloading some files off of torrent, each one is about 3 gigs.

So, the thing says I've downloaded about 600 megabytes so far. But the progress percentage is only about 4%. Doing some simple mental math, I know that's totally messed up. I go and check the file size on my computer. Sure enough, it's only about 4% of the total 3 gigs.

So, what the heck is happening? What's all that additional data I'm supposedly downloading? Where's it going to? Can anyone please help me?

Last edited by Muad'Dib; 2004-04-15 at 19:46.
Muad'Dib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 19:08   Link #2
flammie
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad'Dib
So, I'm downloading some files off of torrent, each one is about 3 gigs.

So, the thing says I've downloaded about 600 gigabytes so far. But the progress percentage is only about 4%. Doing some simple mental math, I know that's totally messed up. I go and check the file size on my computer. Sure enough, it's only about 4% of the total 3 gigs.

So, what the heck is happening? What's all that additional data I'm supposedly downloading? Where's it going to? Can anyone please help me?
Unless your connection is crazy fast, or you've been downloading for weeks/months, theres no way you've downloaded 600GB. At 100kB/sec, it would take 73 days to download 600 GB.
flammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-15, 19:46   Link #3
Muad'Dib
The Burninator

Oops. Sorry, I meant megabytes. But I do have a gigabyte connection, so I could theoretically download that much in like 13 minutes or somesuch.
Old 2004-04-15, 20:10   Link #4
flammie
White Dragon

Quote:
Oops. Sorry, I meant megabytes. But I do have a gigabyte connection, so I could theoretically download that much in like 13 minutes or somesuch.
Do you have an OC-192 connection? Cuz thats what it would take to get a GBps throughput.

On your original question... if you have a lot of hash failures, you could theoretically download the same chunks multiple times. Your wording isn't very clear though... do you mean the torrent is 3GB or each file in the torrent is 3GB?
Old 2004-04-15, 20:16   Link #5
Muad'Dib
The Burninator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flammie
Do you have an OC-192 connection? Cuz thats what it would take to get a GBps throughput.

On your original question... if you have a lot of hash failures, you could theoretically download the same chunks multiple times. Your wording isn't very clear though... do you mean the torrent is 3GB or each file in the torrent is 3GB?
Hm, don't know about OC-192. It's a campus network. *feels ignorant* All I know is that when I'm downloading stuff from our network, I can get up to 100 megabytes per second, and when I go off network, I'm limited by whomever I'm downloading from.

I was actually thinking that the problem is that I'm downloading the same chunks multiple times. (It's the file I'm downloading that is 3 gb, or so it says.) I've never had this problem before, and it's happening with 2 different torrent files (made by different people, too.) I recently downloaded a different version of the bit torrent program, and it's doing it with it, too. How can I fix this?

Also, if it's downloading the same chunks multiple times, does this mean that A) It replaces the old data, effectively deleting it, or B)It replaces the old data, leaving the old data to live in never never land where I can't delete it and I'm screwed over?
Old 2004-04-15, 20:19   Link #6
flammie
White Dragon

Quote:
(It's the file I'm downloading that is 3 gb, or so it says.)

Also, if it's downloading the same chunks multiple times, does this mean that A) It replaces the old data, effectively deleting it, or B)It replaces the old data, leaving the old data to live in never never land where I can't delete it and I'm screwed over?
So you have 4% of the file or 4% of the overall torrent? How big is the total torrent? Bittorrent does A.
Old 2004-04-15, 20:26   Link #7
Muad'Dib
The Burninator

4% of the file.
Old 2004-04-15, 23:10   Link #8
MasafumiGotoh

Quote:
Hm, don't know about OC-192. It's a campus network. *feels ignorant* All I know is that when I'm downloading stuff from our network, I can get up to 100 megabytes per second, and when I go off network, I'm limited by whomever I'm downloading from.

I was actually thinking that the problem is that I'm downloading the same chunks multiple times. (It's the file I'm downloading that is 3 gb, or so it says.) I've never had this problem before, and it's happening with 2 different torrent files (made by different people, too.) I recently downloaded a different version of the bit torrent program, and it's doing it with it, too. How can I fix this?

100 megabytes is nice. Is that even possible? Wont that overload the harddrive? I think you mean 100 kB/sec. my cable modem goes up to 250 kB/sec. Love the 2 mbps.
MasafumiGotoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-16, 06:47   Link #9
Muad'Dib
The Burninator

I've downloaded 600 mb+ files in less than ten seconds, so no, I mean 100 megs/s.