AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Log Horizon

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-11-04, 12:04   Link #1161
Johaocarl
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Brasilia/DF - Brazil
Age: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breimoon View Post
to tell the truth there are many other works of fiction we can compare it to, and not only anime even movies(Matrix being one exemple)
I think one main theme of Matrix is that only a few people want to know the truth and get out the simulation to the real world...

So, don't assume everyone want return home, I remember one villain from Matrix that regret to have ate the red pill...
__________________
Sorry the bad english, my native language is portuguese.

The hacker ate my homework!
Johaocarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 12:05   Link #1162
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksassin View Post
He did say "large scale research" . So unless you and a few of your friends were playing at that that moment when apocalypse happened, youll probably be the lone PhD bearer for a while. and how exactly will you do anything to experiment, lets say, velocity or acceleration. you need a way to measure distance and time, and so far I see no clock or measuring tape. And no calculator too. Also the subclass is pretty restrictive. lets say you are an alchemist. You do multiple experiments, but how do you record your finding? You arent a scribe if youre an alchemist. Also, say if there are quite a few PhD doctor like you stuck too, but you dont know any of them. How can you contact them?
Dunno, just start randomly asking in guilds? We're just speculating that it would make sense for people to start trying to get the ropes of what happened and how to leave, especially considering that science geeks ought to compose a larger percentage of a MMORPG player population than the real world one. Also, really, it doesn't take a PhD to do the stuff we're talking about here, a Bachelor degree is more than enough.
__________________
__________________
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 12:14   Link #1163
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johaocarl View Post
There are only two other works of fiction that can be comparated to LogHor: .hack and SAO. Both too have the theme "traped in a game world".

No one can see you camparating LogHor to .hack, because
Spoiler:


So, when you wrote "I've assumed people want to go home" you prove that you are comparating LogHor to ONLY ONE anime.
I don't know where you got that I was comparing to anything.

Or how "people want to go home" isn't a natural assumption, under the circumstances. It's the theme of the Odysseus. it's freaking old.

Oh, and do you think people weren't talking meta- when SAO came out?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Torsion balance it is, so. Still, I'm not sure whether that would be the most logical way to go, in the sense that it could still be simulated with relative ease
If they think of it. It's just what popped in my mind anyway.

Quote:
and comparably hard to measure. And we still don't even understand fully gravity in OUR world anyway .

What about measuring the properties of materials? Like, elasticity and plasticity of metals? If every crafted sword breaks under exactly the same amount of applied pressure, without deviations or dispersion, that's a big signal for "simulation" (or we should say, "simulation of significant lesser complexity than our universe, and hence, potentially contained within it").
Yes, but wouldn't putting randomizers into that process be just as easy as making a good gravity simulation?

Quote:
Also, that thermodynamics issue is a big thing because they could find out a loophole to generate infinite energy. I'm pretty sure the game world does not have conservation of energy anyway.

The point is, just like they can override the problem of tasteless food by baking the ingredients directly, maybe they can exploit loopholes in logic and physics to build new kinds of weapons/tech which will work in a different way from the crafted/given ones. Like real gunpowder created by combining carbon, sulphur and potassium nitrate instead of whatever they get out of crafting techniques. They could progress to space age in no time. Think of the possibilities .
Definitely a point, if it turns out they're stuck forever.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 12:17   Link #1164
darksassin
Is this dangerous??
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Unknown Void, M'sia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

No, it really isn't. Even if they try to die, they just resurrect. Their only "big problem", aside from the Apocalypse itself, is people being assholes. That's all.
Spoiler for speculation:
__________________
darksassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 12:19   Link #1165
DmonHiro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Romania
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Wait... that's a good point. If the game mechanics have been transfered to the real world, then the penalty for death, loosing EXP would in fact BE losing your memories. Well, crap....
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 12:24   Link #1166
Johaocarl
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Brasilia/DF - Brazil
Age: 48
It is a logical assumption that the ressurection is only possible while the Cathedral is there. Destroy the cathedral and no more player ressurection.

So, monsters and People of Land can be a very real menace to players life....
__________________
Sorry the bad english, my native language is portuguese.

The hacker ate my homework!
Johaocarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 12:51   Link #1167
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
All? No. But with enough of them, some will have the right temperament. And knowledge and training. As for genius - it's really unnecessary, so far.
And guess what? These people are discovering all sorts of things. The very things you claim are lacking are being done. It's just that we, the viewers, don't get to see their results until they become relevant for us.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 13:21   Link #1168
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johaocarl View Post
It is a logical assumption that the ressurection is only possible while the Cathedral is there. Destroy the cathedral and no more player ressurection.

So, monsters and People of Land can be a very real menace to players life....
You're inventing problems that show no sign of even being possible, let alone probable. They're not a present and urgent concern.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 13:33   Link #1169
Quol
Anime Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Road of Life
It would depend if the respawn point is the coordinates on the ground and the cathedral itself is just decoration or if the cathedral is needed to spawn. Ether way if you block off the exits with some immortal walls then they would not be able to get out. However i dont think any normal person would do that, considering they might die as well.

Also for people who might think about it, its not possible for people of the land to do that as a form of rebellion since samurai have a skill that can destroy normal walls.
__________________
Mondaiji-Taichi
"I'm - just as the appearance suggests - uncivilized and savage, Sakamaki Izayoi. Vulgar, Brutal, and Hedonistic, all that I need to be a hopeless person,
so please follow the Rules of Use and Dosage Guidelines, when interacting with me."

Quol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 13:49   Link #1170
LystAP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quol View Post
It would depend if the respawn point is the coordinates on the ground and the cathedral itself is just decoration or if the cathedral is needed to spawn. Ether way if you block off the exits with some immortal walls then they would not be able to get out. However i dont think any normal person would do that, considering they might die as well.

Also for people who might think about it, its not possible for people of the land to do that as a form of rebellion since samurai have a skill that can destroy normal walls.
In most games, the structure just acts as the landmark for the respawn point; although the mechanics do differ from game to game. As for the people of the land, despite the power the adventurers hold over them,
Spoiler for Reason for PoTL Dependence:

Last edited by LystAP; 2013-11-04 at 13:56. Reason: Spoiler Reduction
LystAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 13:55   Link #1171
Johaocarl
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Brasilia/DF - Brazil
Age: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quol View Post
Also for people who might think about it, its not possible for people of the land to do that as a form of rebellion since samurai have a skill that can destroy normal walls.
The OP show the People of Land's army marching against... the players? I am not very sure about who they are marching against, but if PoL can think for themselves, so they can make a rebelion. "Normal humans" can make rebellions and can make wars.

With relation to cathedrals, I assume they are like that crystals from FFXIV. You need attune to the crystals for have them as respawn point, so you need attune to cathedrals for have them as respawn point. Destroy a cathedral and a player don't have any respawn point, so that players cannot respawn.
__________________
Sorry the bad english, my native language is portuguese.

The hacker ate my homework!
Johaocarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 14:02   Link #1172
Ickarium
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
It's doubtful they have to explicitly attune to anything.

Shiro mentions that they have to go into the city because if they are outside, they'll respawn back in their home city. They don't visit the cathedral to attune - simply walking into the city is enough.

Now, whether the cathedral building itself is necessary for respawning, that we don't know at this time.
__________________
Ickarium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 14:03   Link #1173
Johaocarl
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Brasilia/DF - Brazil
Age: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by LystAP View Post
Spoiler for Reason for PoTL Dependence:
Spoiler:
__________________
Sorry the bad english, my native language is portuguese.

The hacker ate my homework!
Johaocarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 14:07   Link #1174
Johaocarl
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Brasilia/DF - Brazil
Age: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarium View Post
[...] simply walking into the city is enough.
That is a form of attuning. When they entered the city they get automatically attuned to that city cathedral. That was the reason they had to talk to Serara inside the city and not outside the city.

If each city have a cathedral, it is the geographical place or it is the building that is need for have respawn?
__________________
Sorry the bad english, my native language is portuguese.

The hacker ate my homework!
Johaocarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 14:07   Link #1175
Quol
Anime Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Road of Life
If in real life people suddenly appeared who had various super powers, enhanced body as well as immortality by re-spawning. We would be the PoL and they would be the adventurers, at least thats how i see it.
__________________
Mondaiji-Taichi
"I'm - just as the appearance suggests - uncivilized and savage, Sakamaki Izayoi. Vulgar, Brutal, and Hedonistic, all that I need to be a hopeless person,
so please follow the Rules of Use and Dosage Guidelines, when interacting with me."

Quol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 14:42   Link #1176
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
What Keroko calls their "big problems" are largely self-inflicted. Getting basic information doesn't require much more than having stayed awake during high school science class, if that.
Being re-located into a strange, new world with no way out, the societal collapse that follows and the need to establish stability and leadership is hardly a self-inflicted problem. Nor is it one easy to solve. And that's just one of the many big elephants in the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
You think? I studied engineering and got a PhD in physics. Nerdy faculties like these, if anything, have a high number of people interested in stuff like online games. Also, a high number of computer savvy people and straight out programmers and hackers. In my group it was actually hard to keep science and physics out of the subject whatever we were talking about. I remember once being in a coffee, drinking a chocolate, and we started debating about whether it would have been possible with an iPhone accelerometer to detect a bike suddenly braking. In one minute, calculators popped out and we started crunching numbers. Lots of people finds these things fun, I can't imagine thousands of players trapped in an MMORPG and not there being a substantial group of science and tech savvy people in there. Hell, with his analytical thought, his class+subclass choice (mages are especially loved by brainy people), and studying in college, I'm pretty sure Shiroe is supposed to be part of this crowd.
I'm not saying there aren't people who'd dive into this head-first, I'm just saying that being a college graduate doesn't automatically make you such a person.

You're a level-headed inquisitive person with a college degree. Not a level-headed inquisitive person because of a college degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooZulu View Post
Heres a question: Akatsuki is a hard core roleplayer, she roleplays everything. How do you think she would be if she wasn't roleplaying the subservient ninja? Or is she actually roleplaying at all?
Hmm, I'd say largely the same, only less subservience and more conversation on an equal level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johaocarl View Post
Spoiler:
Given how NPC's crying "Help! Monsters are on my land! Get them off!" is one of -if not the- biggest sources of quests for players, it'd be odd they'd be living in harmony...
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 15:11   Link #1177
Johaocarl
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Brasilia/DF - Brazil
Age: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Given how NPC's crying "Help! Monsters are on my land! Get them off!" is one of -if not the- biggest sources of quests for players, it'd be odd they'd be living in harmony...
How many quest with PoL asking for help against monsters that invaded its lands you saw after the Apocalypse?

For now players are farming monster at the immediate zones around the main cities. Not all players have gryffons for travel to the PoL towns and villages.

If PoL have a governement (well, that old man was the village "mayor", so they have a government), they too can have patrols that mantain monsters far away and, as we know humans like to make war, too an army.
__________________
Sorry the bad english, my native language is portuguese.

The hacker ate my homework!
Johaocarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 15:16   Link #1178
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johaocarl View Post
How many quest with PoL asking for help against monsters that invaded its lands you saw after the Apocalypse?
only been at most 2 weeks since AP. Most players are still adjusting to their new situation.
and the anime/novel is only focusing on a smaller number of characters out of tens of thousands.

Quote:
If PoL have a governement (well, that old man was the village "mayor", so they have a government), they too can have patrols that mantain monsters far away and, as we know humans like to make war, too an army.
PoL are weak compare to the Adventures. They are also limited to one life.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 15:26   Link #1179
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
It looks like the official word for 大地人 is settled.
Novel 7, chapter 55 uses Lander as the English word for People of the Land/Earthling.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 17:21   Link #1180
Johaocarl
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Brasilia/DF - Brazil
Age: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
PoL are weak compare to the Adventures. They are also limited to one life.
But there is a lot more PoL than Adventurers....
__________________
Sorry the bad english, my native language is portuguese.

The hacker ate my homework!
Johaocarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fantasy, nyanderful, science fiction, seinen, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.