AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-06-16, 18:03   Link #201
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!
 
Join Date: May 2003
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterx
I think people who watch a series while it is being made usually have a different reaction than people who watch the entire thing after it has completed. Take cowboy bepop for example. I don't get why so many people are crazy about it. It's bland and boring. Lots of filler episodes, slow story line etc etc, but for some reason people who saw it a long time ago like it a lot. Others who recently watched it don't know what the big fuss is about. I stopped watching after episode 11, it just felt like I was forcing myself to watch it just because of the hype.

Even now with samurai 7, kenran butosai, monster etc lots of hype but little substance. I know the feeling; when popotan was airing I watched about 7 episodes of it and I thought it was good lol.
A slow storyline isn't neccessarily a bad thing, several anime I'd rank as some of the best out there were very slow paced. That doesn't really mean a lot of it is filler, either, though in the case of Bebop, it is a very episodic show, and if you consider "filler" to be anything that doesn't contribute to the main story, then sure, it's guilty. However, much of that filler is devoted to fleshing out the characters, giving them some backstory.

Still, Bebop is not loved for it's deep, meaningful plot, or it's detailed, well rounded characters or how they develope and mature as the series progresses. Bebop is loved for it's quality of animation, and pure style points. The characters, while not horribly deep, are reasonably well written and ooze personality.They're likable, and that goes a long way. Yoko Kano's musical work is some of the best in anime. And at it's core is a well written story that the show visits now and again, and finally brings to a conclusion.

If anything, I'd argue that Bebop is one of the few examples of episodic anime done well.
Radd is offline  
Old 2004-06-16, 18:45   Link #202
cdkobasiuk
Mommy on a Bender
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: East Coast USA
The top three that I started watching because everyone said how great they were but then I had to stop before I puked on myself:

1. Angelic Layer
2. Excel Saga

and the all time worst---

3. Maria-sama ga miteru

cdk
__________________
~cdk~
cdkobasiuk is offline  
Old 2004-07-09, 15:25   Link #203
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Neon Genesis Evangelion. Ugly Mecha Design and Cliched characters. In my opinion.
Kaioshin Sama is offline  
Old 2004-07-10, 04:24   Link #204
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!
 
Join Date: May 2003
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
Neon Genesis Evangelion. Ugly Mecha Design and Cliched characters. In my opinion.

<sarcasm>Young boy reluctantly piloting his distant father's gund-er robot against an enemy he barely understands, angsting away every episode about how he doesn't want to fight anymore? Whatever do you mean? </sarcasm>
__________________
Radd is offline  
Old 2004-07-10, 08:46   Link #205
Bracken33
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
For me that would be Wings of Honneamise .
Many people consider it a milestone of anime (which it probably is) but for me it was simply boring.
It was really hard not to fall asleep or press the eject on my VCR.
Bracken33 is offline  
Old 2004-07-10, 09:24   Link #206
andromeda
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
*erects giant water shield to avoid flames*

Hmm...I am going to avoid mentioning things like DBZ, which, although I don't like them, have been mentioned many times before.

GITS: SAC - I just couldnt' get into this one. It doesn't help that my husband is a complete GITS nut, who loves to watch this thing *sigh*. I found it boring, and the lengthy scenes where the characters are communicating mentally just seemed to me like an excuse to reduce the # of frames animated, so they could save money for the action scenes. (it reminded me at times of the old Hulk cartoon where nothing was animated for minutes at a time except maybe a moving mouth)

Stellvia No Sora - I can't understand why on earth this anime was so raved about. Shima has to be one of the most irritating lead characters ever with all her whining and crying. I am surprised I managed to get through the whole thing. Good idea, poor execution, I guess. I couldn't care about any of the sub-characters (for me, interesting supporting characters have saved a few anime from totally sucking), because they were so flat and underdeveloped, and Shima's insecurity and crying really distracted me from what could have been a good story imo.

Akira - I have this theory that Akira was only really popular because it was one of the only anime out in its day. I admit that back in the mid 90's, I used to think that it was cool, but having gone back and watched it recently, I can't understand why I ever thought it was good. Man, was it screwed up, but not in the way I like.

Final Fantasy Unlimited - Although not necessarily hugely popular, I do know quite a few people who like this one, and all I have to say is uh....why? I think its the "Final Fantasy" tag...anything FF has to be good, right? WRONG! I actually fell asleep during the first ep of this one....
andromeda is offline  
Old 2008-02-04, 22:32   Link #207
Terrestrial Dream
勇者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tesla Leicht Institute
Age: 24
Nanoha Strikers- I don't hate it but I don't like it. I was hugely disappointed with this show, after A's(which by the way was great), ended I hoped that the sequel would step up but it did not.
Lucky Star- I will not say much, but it's just that I don't like it and I already gave a reason why before so I won't do it again.
Bleach- well let me say that I use to love Bleach, but after Soul Society it just sucked ass. Though I am still reading the manga and I do think it's getting better.
Naruto- like Bleach I use to love it, but really now it just suck so much after Sasuke rescue arc. And the manga unlike Bleach isn't getting any better.
__________________
Terrestrial Dream is offline  
Old 2008-02-04, 22:46   Link #208
UzumakiW
J-rocker
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to UzumakiW Send a message via Yahoo to UzumakiW
Naruto. I can't stand it, and everybody talks about it >.<

DBZ. I liked it for about a week, but that's probably because I was staying at a family friend's place during a school break with nothing to do but watch the DBZ marathon.
__________________
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o190/Love_it_to_Death/J-Rock/Kana/Kana82.gif
UzumakiW is offline  
Old 2008-02-04, 22:50   Link #209
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterx View Post
I think people who watch a series while it is being made usually have a different reaction than people who watch the entire thing after it has completed. Take cowboy bepop for example. I don't get why so many people are crazy about it. It's bland and boring. Lots of filler episodes, slow story line etc etc, but for some reason people who saw it a long time ago like it a lot. Others who recently watched it don't know what the big fuss is about. I stopped watching after episode 11, it just felt like I was forcing myself to watch it just because of the hype.

Even now with samurai 7, kenran butosai, monster etc lots of hype but little substance. I know the feeling; when popotan was airing I watched about 7 episodes of it and I thought it was good lol.
I largely agree.

An episodic anime like Cowboy Bebop probably isn't meant to be watched as several episodes in one sitting.

I honestly didn't see the big fuss about it myself.

The animation is great, and Spike is likeable, but other than that...

I guess I perfer underlining story-arcs, and I felt that Cowboy Bebop largely lacked that.
Triple_R is offline  
Old 2008-02-04, 22:59   Link #210
BearShare
I'm a commin'
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Shuffle!
THe fact that it has it's own sub-forum means people her must like it.
__________________
BearShare is offline  
Old 2008-02-04, 23:00   Link #211
EXEs
Hallelujah...
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Age: 22
I'm probably signing a death warrant by saying this, but I didn't like Code Geass. The main character is like a bastardisation of Light, there is hardly any character development, the mechas look ass ugly, and the story/plot, IMO, is quite nonsensical. Also, the fighting is like Gundam Weed/Destiny all over again, the main mechs are untouchable, pawns are just for display, etc...

Let the flaming begin.
__________________
EXEs is offline  
Old 2008-02-04, 23:09   Link #212
BearShare
I'm a commin'
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXEs View Post
I'm probably signing a death warrant by saying this, but I didn't like Code Geass. The main character is like a bastardisation of Light, there is hardly any character development, the mechas look ass ugly, and the story/plot, IMO, is quite nonsensical. Also, the fighting is like Gundam Weed/Destiny all over again, the main mechs are untouchable, pawns are just for display, etc...

Let the flaming begin.
No love for C.C.?
__________________
BearShare is offline  
Old 2008-02-04, 23:13   Link #213
UnDeaD
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Code Geass.
UnDeaD is offline  
Old 2008-02-04, 23:21   Link #214
qtipbrit
Buddhajew
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXEs View Post
I'm probably signing a death warrant by saying this, but I didn't like Code Geass. The main character is like a bastardisation of Light, there is hardly any character development, the mechas look ass ugly, and the story/plot, IMO, is quite nonsensical. Also, the fighting is like Gundam Weed/Destiny all over again, the main mechs are untouchable, pawns are just for display, etc...

Let the flaming begin.
Your opinions are terrible. You don't deserve to exist. And you definately have no taste in anime. Why don't you go pick up some Naruto DVD's and die.

Continuing, a lot of people didn't like Code Geass for various reasons. I did, mainly because the first half of the series was quite catchy, though the closing episodes (last fourth or so) were disasterous. I, too, agree that the mecha really were uglier than Pani Poni Dash's usage of the term "Cowlick" to describe Himeko's ahoge, and apparently, real men's mecha have rollerskates. Also keep in mind that Light was quite a bastard himself, and I actually believe Ruru to be less of a b*tch, as Freud's psychoanalytic theories would say that his childhood and strong sexual urges caused him to act that way, while Light was just some bored retard.
Most mecha anime are like that to some extent, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann's Gurren-Lagann was quite the beast, Full Metal Panic!'s Arbalest may not have been as powerful, but whatever mecha Gauron happened to be in would always pwn considerably.

Also, name me three shonen action series with a strong plot.

EDIT: I was off on such a tangent that I forgot to add my own comments.
Obviously, Naruto and Bleach and DragonballZ for various reasons, whough I agree with whoever stated earlier that Bleach was very watchable until its amazingly epic fail known as the ending of the Soul Society arcs and beginning of filler, and I don't think the newer episodes are very interesting, either.
Fullmetal Alchemist also didn't impress me. It had comedy, action, and more of a plot than any 4+ cour shonen action anime I seen prior, but it also had weak animation, annoying characters, and most importantly, a very altered Rie Kugimiya voice. Though I would say I mildly enjoyed the series, it was not nearly as good as I was expecting from reviews, publicity, etc.
More recently, True Tears seems to be recieving a lot of attention, but I'm not quite understanding why. I agree that it's been a very original and entertaining series, but I wouldn't call it amazing.

Last edited by qtipbrit; 2008-02-04 at 23:31.
qtipbrit is offline  
Old 2008-02-04, 23:26   Link #215
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Neo Genesis eveangelon - maybe i was too young when i watched it but i really didn't get it at all

Haruhi - Never understood it. didn't like it one bit

Bleach - not a bad anime, but i just never got into it
__________________
Goodbye AnimeSuki
You have lost your once great spirit
SeedFreedom is offline  
Old 2008-02-04, 23:27   Link #216
BearShare
I'm a commin'
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Your opinions are terrible. You don't deserve to exist. And you definately have no taste in anime. Why don't you go pick up some Naruto DVD's and die.

Continuing, a lot of people didn't like Code Geass for various reasons. I did, mainly because the first half of the series was quite catchy, though the closing episodes (last fourth or so) were disasterous. I, too, agree that the mecha really were uglier than Pani Poni Dash's usage of the term "Cowlick" to describe Himeko's ahoge, and apparently, real men's mecha have rollerskates. Also keep in mind that Light was quite a bastard himself, and I actually believe Ruru to be less of a b*tch, as Freud's psychoanalytic theories would say that his childhood and strong sexual urges caused him to act that way, while Light was just some bored retard.
Most mecha anime are like that to some extent, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann's Gurren-Lagann was quite the beast, Full Metal Panic!'s Arbalest may not have been as powerful, but whatever mecha Gauron happened to be in would always pwn considerably.

Also, name me three shonen action series with a strong plot.
Fullmetal Alchemist
Beck
Whether you like it or not, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
__________________
BearShare is offline  
Old 2008-02-04, 23:31   Link #217
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: your basement
Can only think of one right now Jigoku Shoujo. I guess I really love it and hate it at the same time. I love it because of its beautiful art, interesting characters, fascinating plot. But I guess shows like it really aren't designed to be marathoned, after few episodes the suspense is all gone.
__________________

^ Touhoues for president. ^
Chinese Saimoe 08 Congradulations to C.C. and Shana for winning Chinese Saimoe 08
cicido is offline  
Old 2008-02-04, 23:33   Link #218
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nanairogaoka
Send a message via MSN to Liddo-kun
My list is a short one with only two members:

1. Naruto
2. All Dragonball series

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXEs View Post
I'm probably signing a death warrant by saying this, but I didn't like Code Geass. The main character is like a bastardisation of Light, there is hardly any character development, the mechas look ass ugly, and the story/plot, IMO, is quite nonsensical. Also, the fighting is like Gundam Weed/Destiny all over again, the main mechs are untouchable, pawns are just for display, etc...

Let the flaming begin.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2008-02-05 at 03:23.
Liddo-kun is offline  
Old 2008-02-04, 23:35   Link #219
qtipbrit
Buddhajew
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearShare View Post
Fullmetal Alchemist
Beck
Whether you like it or not, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Fullmetal Alchemist had a strong plot?
It's a pair of children who want to retrieve their bodies, and by doing so, have to fight through some random enemies. Having "dramatic" moments and deaths of characters does not constitute a plot.
I have not yet watched Beck, but I'll have to agree that Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann's plot was quite powerful in comparison, though. Also, Yoko = win.
qtipbrit is offline  
Old 2008-02-04, 23:39   Link #220
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
To a slight degree, Higurashi. Others are Gurren-Laggan, Full Metal Alchemist, most gundam series, Lucky Star.

I cannot believe people who dislike Cowboy Bebop though, it's possibly the classiest anime ever made in my eyes.
Reckoner is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.