AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-08-17, 10:30   Link #2561
hyl
reading #hikaributts
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Honestly, guys, I'm with GenjiChan here.

This thread is titled "Anime you hate but everyone seems to like?", which is rather suggestive about what people should expect to see on this thread.

Honestly, I even disliked the extensive blowback one person received for bashing Free! several pages back. I certainly didn't agree with that person, but this thread should be a safe place for people to express dislike/hate of anime shows. It shouldn't be a place for aggrieved fans to rush to the defense of their favorite anime shows, as that kind of undermines the entire point of this thread.

GeniChan is right - If people here on AS can't handle their favorite anime shows taking some heat, then we might as well just lock this thread.
In all seriousness, can you say that you "hate" an anime based on 1 episode?
Unless that anime is extremely offensive in every way (like some 90's OVA's) , it's not likely that you actually "hated" that show from just that.

Also i never watched GuP, so i can't even claim that i either hate it or like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
We have different opinions and criteria... and leave it as it is...
Can I comment why I dropped it after watching a few episodes only and not requiring to watch it all before I decide to drop it???
The problem is not that you dropped a specific serie, but rather that you were claiming things that doesn't seem true because you dropped that serie.

Last edited by hyl; 2013-08-17 at 10:44.
hyl is offline  
Old 2013-08-17, 10:42   Link #2562
Triple_R
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
In all seriousness, can you say that you "hate" an anime based on 1 episode?
"Hate" is a strong word. Nonetheless, there have been anime episodes that I strongly disliked after just one episode, and I ended up dropping that anime.

Recent Example: Date A Live

I felt that Date A Live's first episode did a horrible job in blending serious drama with comedic anime hijinks. The very first two scenes of Date A Live gave me one of the nastiest whiplashes I've ever experienced in anime. Just total mood killer that made me seriously wonder what the heck the Director was trying to accomplish. Date A Live also struck me as trying way too hard to achieve "Gap Moe" with its imouto character.


I almost brought Date A Live up on this thread before, except I'm not sure if its popular enough to warrant it.


As for GuP, I don't have a strong opinion on it either way. But even if I saw Madoka or Haruhi or Nanoha critiqued on this thread, I would do my best to just roll with it because this thread is meant for that sort of critique.
__________________
Triple_R is online now  
Old 2013-08-17, 11:16   Link #2563
Eragon
Not amused
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Spirit World
Age: 22
I, honestly, couldn't care less if people bashed my favorite show...as long as they know what they are talking about. Criticism which can be understood by others if they tried looking from your perspective is fine by me.

Like, I love Gurren Lagann but, I also understand when someone criticizes it for having over-the-top action, illogical plot, fanservice etc. But, criticizing it for not having character development is simply not knowing what you're talking about.


And, I can't understand how someone can hate a show by watching just a couple of episodes - unless it contains rampant racism, bigotry and presents this as a-ok behavior.
__________________
Signature courtesy of rikikai
Eragon is offline  
Old 2013-08-17, 11:27   Link #2564
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
And, I can't understand how someone can hate a show by watching just a couple of episodes - unless it contains rampant racism, bigotry and presents this as a-ok behavior.
Ok lets put it this.....

Watched episode 1-3 > I don't like it...but

Continues to episode 4-7 > I hate this series, it's dumb ... but

Finished whole series > Damn, I hate it so much.... what a waste of time.... should just dropped it from the beginning....


- Now this is hilarious, just to have a valid, professional level of criticism I had to watched something I dislike and hate from start to end.... LOls
NoemiChan is offline  
Old 2013-08-17, 11:34   Link #2565
Eragon
Not amused
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Spirit World
Age: 22
And why would you want to criticize it so badly that you would suffer through a show that you don't like? Do you want to be a critic?

I did that with School Days and got burned. Since then I have dropped every single anime that I didn't like in the first 3 eps. And I don't criticize it here because I don't know enough about it to say anything. All I can say in such cases is that it didn't catch my attention in those episodes. Why do you want to punish yourself just to bash the show on an online forum where that post would probably not even get noticed, is beyond my comprehension.
__________________
Signature courtesy of rikikai
Eragon is offline  
Old 2013-08-17, 11:54   Link #2566
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
And why would you want to criticize it so badly that you would suffer through a show that you don't like? Do you want to be a critic?

I did that with School Days and got burned. Since then I have dropped every single anime that I didn't like in the first 3 eps. And I don't criticize it here because I don't know enough about it to say anything. All I can say in such cases is that it didn't catch my attention in those episodes. Why do you want to punish yourself just to bash the show on an online forum where that post would probably not even get noticed, is beyond my comprehension.
The beginning of school days was okay, then episode 3 onward was horrible but my efforts for watching it till the end paid off. The last episode was AWESOME. I keep re-watching the last episode and smiling like an idiot till my mother ask me what's wrong.
KanbeKotori is offline  
Old 2013-08-17, 15:55   Link #2567
Joyce_Steele
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanbeKotori View Post
The beginning of school days was okay, then episode 3 onward was horrible but my efforts for watching it till the end paid off. The last episode was AWESOME. I keep re-watching the last episode and smiling like an idiot till my mother ask me what's wrong.
I know I shouldn't say this but I think people who find School Days' ending as awesome have problems. I also hate to make a comparison but ironically Yosuga no Sora was able to avoid the very same fate of what of that School Days but only to be hated just because of that, I mean just because.
Joyce_Steele is offline  
Old 2013-08-17, 16:07   Link #2568
Triple_R
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce_Steele View Post
I know I shouldn't say this but I think people who find School Days' ending as awesome have problems.
I've seen characters get hated for far less than what a certain character in School Days was hated for. So I don't think a person has to have "problems" in order to find the ending of School Days awesome.
__________________
Triple_R is online now  
Old 2013-08-17, 16:12   Link #2569
Joyce_Steele
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Spoiler for I don't think it's a spoiler but...:
Joyce_Steele is offline  
Old 2013-08-17, 16:16   Link #2570
hyl
reading #hikaributts
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Why are you even comparing school days with Yosuga no Sora? Both aren't even remotely the same when it comes to characters, settings, story and structure
hyl is offline  
Old 2013-08-17, 16:22   Link #2571
Joyce_Steele
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Why are you even comparing school days with Yosuga no Sora? Both aren't even remotely the same when it comes to characters, settings, story and structure
Back then in 2010 lots of people expected YnS to have ending like School Days but ends up hating YnS because it didn't. Maybe lack of crazy yandere bitch in YnS also contributed to that cause.
Joyce_Steele is offline  
Old 2013-08-17, 16:57   Link #2572
Archon_Wing
Cool Story Bro
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Eating Donuts
Age: 31
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Yosuga no Sora was probably unfairly hated due to its inclusion of explicit sexual content. Ironically, School Days probably needed that though.

And you can hate stuff through minimal exposure. If I post and call you names, you'd hate me without getting to know my backstory (even if it's a tragic one) or the fact that I'm actually a really nice guy. Of course, the more you know, the more valid the hate is. The less superficial your reasons, the more valid it is too.
__________________
Dedicated to the conservation of anime noses.
Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline  
Old 2013-08-17, 17:00   Link #2573
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
And why would you want to criticize it so badly that you would suffer through a show that you don't like? Do you want to be a critic?
Because you said.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
And, I can't understand how someone can hate a show by watching just a couple of episodes -
I was actually ridiculing this.... I don't need to watch a whole series just make my hate on a series reasonable and understandable for other people to understand.

IHMO only anime critic should watch it in full to have a good, valid, professional, UNDERSTANDABLE CRITISM...

For a simple anime fan like me,watching 1-3 episodes has enough data to say I hate it, if it has elements that I hate....
NoemiChan is offline  
Old 2013-08-17, 17:56   Link #2574
Triple_R
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
If I post and call you names, you'd hate me without getting to know my backstory (even if it's a tragic one) or the fact that I'm actually a really nice guy.
You'd be the perfect sympathetic anime antagonist.
__________________
Triple_R is online now  
Old 2013-08-17, 19:58   Link #2575
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Honestly, guys, I'm with GenjiChan here.

This thread is titled "Anime you hate but everyone seems to like?", which is rather suggestive about what people should expect to see on this thread.

Honestly, I even disliked the extensive blowback one person received for bashing Free! several pages back. I certainly didn't agree with that person, but this thread should be a safe place for people to express dislike/hate of anime shows. It shouldn't be a place for aggrieved fans to rush to the defense of their favorite anime shows, as that kind of undermines the entire point of this thread.

GeniChan is right - If people here on AS can't handle their favorite anime shows taking some heat, then we might as well just close this thread now.
Would you be okay if someone who only watched the first couple episodes of Gundam SEED talk to the masses that the said anime is bad because the protagonist (Kira) in Strike Gundam never got defeated by the enemy? Or would you, the one who knows the entirety of the series, try to correct that false claim?

Seriously, this is not even about favoritism anymore, but correcting what’s wrong. Let me say this again. There is a huge difference between disliking/hating a series and saying something that is wrong about the said series (they barely watched). And here you are, advocating people who do the latter.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline  
Old 2013-08-17, 20:18   Link #2576
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 23
I have another update, but I've decided to split it into two lists, one for shows I actually dislike and another for popular shows I found too boring to get into. Ones in bold are new additions.

Quote:
Heavily Disliked Shows

Heaven's Lost Property (Sora no Otoshimono)
Highschool of the Dead
Qwaser of Stigmata (Seikon no Qwaser)
Infinite Stratos
To-LOVE-Ru
My Bride is a Mermaid (Seto no Hanayome)
Kampfer
The Familiar of Zero (Zero no Tsukaima)
Medaka Box
Fairy Tail
Is This a Zombie? (Kore wa Zombie desu ka?)
Negima!
Sword Art Online
Accel World
High School DxD
Aria the Scarlet Ammo (Hidan no Aria)
Date-A-Live
Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere (Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon)
Quote:
Popular Yet Boring Shows

Fate series
Monogatari series
Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin)
I'm holding off on giving reasons why this time.
__________________

Last edited by SilverSyko; 2013-08-17 at 20:40.
SilverSyko is offline  
Old 2013-08-17, 20:34   Link #2577
Triple_R
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Seriously, this is not even about favoritism anymore, but correcting what’s wrong. Let me say this again. There is a huge difference between disliking/hating a series and saying something that is wrong about the said series (they barely watched). And here you are, advocating people who do the latter.
I am not advocating any such thing. What he said about GuP is a fair criticism of the first couple episodes of it, and he made it clear he was only talking about the first couple episodes of it.

It would be fine to reply with "I see where you're coming from on those specific episodes, but trust me, those girls get a lot better at tank battles later on".
__________________
Triple_R is online now  
Old 2013-08-17, 21:24   Link #2578
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I am not advocating any such thing. What he said about GuP is a fair criticism of the first couple episodes of it, and he made it clear he was only talking about the first couple episodes of it.

It would be fine to reply with "I see where you're coming from on those specific episodes, but trust me, those girls get a lot better at tank battles later on".
If only Genji commented without the bolded parts (which is contextually untrue), we all would be okay with it and welcome his opinion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Not a fan of GnP myself.... had to drop it after a couple of episodes. The concept of girls running tanks ain't actually look cool for my taste add the "worst aiming" and "stupidest tank strategy" in an anime.
Even for the first couple of episodes, the "worst aiming" and "stupidest strategy" parts are still unfair claim when all factors are considered (how accurate can you be when aiming with very old WWII tanks? Not to mention when it's running & under fire).

And his following replies does not help shed some light to his claims either:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
We have different opinions and criteria... and leave it as it is...

Let me quote Eragon's comment which should be applied by other users when commenting in this thread in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
I, honestly, couldn't care less if people bashed my favorite show...as long as they know what they are talking about. Criticism which can be understood by others if they tried looking from your perspective is fine by me.

Like, I love Gurren Lagann but, I also understand when someone criticizes it for having over-the-top action, illogical plot, fanservice etc. But, criticizing it for not having character development is simply not knowing what you're talking about.

And, I can't understand how someone can hate a show by watching just a couple of episodes - unless it contains rampant racism, bigotry and presents this as a-ok behavior.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline  
Old 2013-08-17, 21:27   Link #2579
totoum
Me at work
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I am not advocating any such thing. What he said about GuP is a fair criticism of the first couple episodes of it, and he made it clear he was only talking about the first couple episodes of it.
It would be fine to reply with "I see where you're coming from on those specific episodes, but trust me, those girls get a lot better at tank battles later on".
It's the hyperboles, ("worst aiming" and "stupidest tank strategy" in an anime.)
That brings out emotion in people.
__________________
totoum is offline  
Old 2013-08-17, 21:39   Link #2580
Akuma Kinomoto
Magically Lyrical
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: μ'sing on the magic
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to Akuma Kinomoto
I'll add Ano Hana to my dislike list. The tension between Jinta being able to see Menma and his friends who can't see her is pointless since Menma can, but doesn't, interact with the objects around her in their presence. Everyone also acts "recently" devastated for a death that happened a decade ago which breaks the subtlety needed for the themes Ano Hana tackles.

The group therapy session at the end was unintentionally hilarious; serious drama being funny is a failure. I would at least like Ano Hana for its final scene but when plot points are relevant to my emotions rather than my consistency (for example, I really liked Saki: Side A despite its shortcomings because of Toki) then there are problems. Not since Clannad After Story have I ever disregarded my emotions but at least that one only drama-goofed at the end.
__________________
Akuma Kinomoto is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.