AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-01-01, 00:25   Link #841
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post


TTGL, outside all the fanboyish stuff related to it, was awesome for all the right reasons.
That's why I haven't watched it yet <_<, though I plan to eventually since I enjoyed needless, and they're supposed similar from what all people said in the Needless thread.

Also on Baccano friend showed me the first episode of it few days ago, and honestly I've never felt so WTF just happened in a series for first episode[in a bad way] before it kinda pushed me away some from it does it make more sense as it goes on cause the first episode was way tooo chaotic, and annoying to follow for my tastes.
__________________
Haruka & Yuu - Sakura TrickAvatar by Auxilism
Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is offline  
Old 2010-01-01, 00:37   Link #842
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I would say lot of people liked it not because of the pretty explosions but generally through the characters.
Heh, that's the last reason I'd pick (characters were extremely simple and not really interesting, were it not the point of the series to be an extremely simple but extremely well done and exaggerated run of the mill growing-up story).

PS: also wtf about someone disliking Baccano.

Quote:
Also on Baccano friend showed me the first episode of it few days ago, and honestly I've never felt so WTF just happened in a series for first episode[in a bad way] before it kinda pushed me away some from it does it make more sense as it goes on cause the first episode was way tooo chaotic, and annoying to follow for my tastes.
That's like the main reason why I kept on watching the series after the first episode.
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline  
Old 2010-01-01, 01:09   Link #843
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Summoner's Rift
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
I guess explanations are in order.

TTGL - Most of all, the characters. I hate them. I hate them so much. Kamina is everything I despise about males - every word that comes out of his mouth makes he want to rip his tongue and balls off simultaneously then plant them onto Simon, who clearly needs them. Side characters annoy me to no end, Yoko was cheapened to the nth degree with her physique, outfit and countless breast innuendo. Cartoonish animation style ticks me off, the colours are ugly, the music is drivel, the story is just cliche coming of age. Everything about this show is utterly phallic and it drives me berko. I probably would have liked this if I was 18, because that's what this insanely over-the-top, eternally gratuitous series is aimed at. I don't think about life that way anymore and I don't want to. Essentially, TTGL is FLCL crossed with Evangelion. Rehash - the only thing Gainax is good at. Rehashing the two series that worked for them, except they changed the names and personalities to make it less obvious. TTGL is the sum total of all the things in anime I despise. I was insanely furious for every moment I watched this, except for the end to Episode 8. Gainax are laughing all the way to the bank. If I want to see a manly man in action, I'll put Samurai Champloo on and watch Mugen own every noob in sight.

Bake - What an insulting, arrogant, half-hearted, gratuitous shlock-fest. Honestly, a freaking patny shot that was supposed to be only a split second gets blown out in the opening moments...How the hell am I supposed to take anything out of this? And those monologues...walls and walls of text...I'm supposed to read that much text in one second and feel like everything in the scene is still flowing properly? Oh wait, they don't to start with...everything is so utterly fragmented and random that getting a grasp of anything is about as likely as surviving jumping off the top of Mount Everest naked. It doesn't feel like a ghost story, it doesn't feel like horror. It just feels like gratuitous schlock that rotates a tsundere/loli to the female lead status every 2-3 episodes. Shinbo, perhaps you learnt how to make a proper story to some degree after messing up Mariaholic, but you still have no idea how to spend a budget or how to adhere to a schedule. I'm supposed to admire half-hearted TV attempts as revolutionary and the best thing of the decade because it'll be as it should be on Blu-Ray?! Thanks a lot, Shinbo...You have just given the green light for every struggling studio to go half-arsed on series, leave out the good bits and promise that on DVD/Blu-Ray you will see the true version, thus making budgets and schedules meaningless and never having to put 100% effort into a product, as long as you load it with the things that are guaranteed to hook in people regardless of its quality. And look at what happened in October...the number of series that resorted to going half-arsed but promising greatness on DVD/Blu-Ray has ballooned to ridiculous proportions. And as for those smarmy, cocky, sleazy characters - ugh. Not to mention the voice of Yui Horie - BURN IN HELL! I'm supposed to care about them? Being random and overly gratuitous is nothing special. I will always be bemused and saddened that this is being labelled as a masterpiece. SHAFT are laughing all the way to the bank and have paved the way for a marriage between mediocrity and moe to reign supreme, as long as it's done better on Blu-Ray.

SE - Everything that is cliche and fail about shounen. Meandering machismo, endless ecchi or flapping fail. The guys love to rant and posture - they really do. The amount of ecchi comments about Blair's lack of breast development, her sleazy fail of a father, Soul's perverted nature and his ability to make a random situation ever so more perverted - it grows old fast. Very fast. There is just too much dialog, it isn't funny and it is so reminiscent of styles from every other shounen series from the last decade - it's just so very frustrating and insulting. As for the action - when there actually is any *cough* - it is short, spoofish andpoorly executed. At least other shounen series had decent action in between the rants - but Soul Eater fails at providing a decent battle. Every character is cliche and boring. The story is boring, the animation is crapulent. Drove me insane.

Baccano - I've never felt more ghoulish watching a series than I have with Baccano. Rarely more angry, either. It has to be said. That said, I really wanted to like this series. I really did. I gave it all the time and energy I could give. But when it reaches a point that is utterly toxic and can turn a good day into a bad one within 25 minutes, that's a blaring signal that this isn't worth it. I'm sure Baccano has the right ingredients for some people. But as crime pieces go, it never clicked for me. And there are two glaring reasons. Firstly, the characters. To be able to like a series like Baccano, where there are no 'good guys' to root for, you have to find a 'villain' or 'rebel' to identify with, find cool or even like. Problem is - I couldn't. Secondly, the story almost made up for the cast at times, but there was a major problem that could never be overcome. The story never flowed - the jumping between the different plots, backtracks in time and recapping events already seen - it all led to a very stunted, broken feel. It ended up being more frustrating than banging one's head against a brick wall. The animation was gritty, low quality, jagged and lacking in detail. In particular the faces were just ghastly - they might as well have been cardboard cutouts for all the good it did. The opening theme was a good, slick jazz number but after that, there wasn't much to speak of. And the idea of an ending theme asking for sympathy towards a cast that were all cold-hearted killers was absurd and insulting. Plus I was denied any chance of watching gansters/maniacs/fruitcakes that deserved to die to die because they're freaking immortal...WTF?! It just got to the point I felt like I was going to Hell if I kept going (and I'm not religious).

M-H - I don't think I've ever seen a more excessively gratuitous opening theme ever...Every moment of in-episode material feels like randomly thrown together pieces of cardboard with scribble on them, as if expecting everything to automatically make sense and flow with purpose. It doesn't. It's just...argh, so frustrating. Shinbo clearly didn't have a clue how to properly construct a story when he directed this and I'm still convinced that he is still searching for a clue as how to construct one. And its silly portrayl of yuri/shoujo-ai is just insulting. Frankly I'm convinced Shinbo was paid to make sure it's still a major stigma in Japanese society. It never amounted to anything and its humour went too far. There's only so much pain you can put a protagonist through before it gets too cruel. It was stupid and everyone involved with it was stupid for getting involved with something so stupid.

OHSHC - If there is one series that makes me want to gouge out my eyes or vomit my entire insides the moment I see it, this is it. 5 minutes into the first episode, I did throw up. I have no problem with affeminite men (Last Exile, Code Geass, Gravitation, Trinity Blood) but these guys go beyond the pain that The Wallflower inflicts. It's just vile, boring, creepy. I can't put my horror into words beyond that.

Kannagi - Lucky Star staffer gets booted. He decided to parody Lucky Star via this. Honestly, I couldn't careless one effing bit about Lucky Star. And unfortunately, this itself is the most bland, boring, uninspiring, stereotypical thing I've ever seen. I fell asleep while watching it during broad daylight because it was just that pathetic. Stereotypes, cliches and a 'supposedly' cute pancake girl do not a good series make.

Speed Grapher - Ah Gonzo, what have you become? In 2003 you showed such promise and you gave me hope. But you came crashing down soon after and this was the first blow. A good idea turned into filthy, ridiculously graituitous material that just throws any sense of morality or taste to the wind and looks like a 5 year old drew it to boot. How the hell did Duran Duran - Girls on Film become the opening theme for soemthing as stupid as this? I only finished it because I wanted to see how low it could sink because it was so hilariously bad. After this, I never watch crap beyond a few episodes.

Black Lagoon - An action series requires one person to like. But when the male lead is a spineless parasite and everyone else are sociopathic lunatics, what's to like?! And action - c'mon, you call that action?! For the love of...Blowing things up is not the way to properly thrill? Lacked climax, lacked a cool feeling, lacked anyone to like, lacked a story to care about.

Darker than Black - More sociopaths....and NO ACTION...grrrr. Not to mention a C.C. ripoff, a complete absence of a tangible story that ever amounts to anything (and it STILL HASN'T after a 2nd season), characters so devoid of anything that giving a damn about them is pointless. Boring, bland, brainless. I feel so sad Rie Fu had her music put to this crap and that this is the only thing making Studio Bones money these days...


And that is why I utterly despise those 10 series.
__________________
Last Sinner is offline  
Old 2010-01-01, 01:17   Link #844
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
TTGL - Most of all, the characters. I hate them. I hate them so much. Kamina is everything I despise about males - every word that comes out of his mouth makes he want to rip his tongue and balls off simultaneously then plant them onto Simon, who clearly needs them. Side characters annoy me to no end, Yoko was cheapened to the nth degree with her physique, outfit and countless breast innuendo. Cartoonish animation style ticks me off, the colours are ugly, the music is drivel, the story is just cliche coming of age. Everything about this show is utterly phallic and it drives me berko. I probably would have liked this if I was 18, because that's what this insanely over-the-top, eternally gratuitous series is aimed at. I don't think about life that way anymore and I don't want to. Essentially, TTGL is FLCL crossed with Evangelion. Rehash - the only thing Gainax is good at. Rehashing the two series that worked for them, except they changed the names and personalities to make it less obvious. TTGL is the sum total of all the things in anime I despise. I was insanely furious for every moment I watched this, except for the end to Episode 8. Gainax are laughing all the way to the bank. If I want to see a manly man in action, I'll put Samurai Champloo on and watch Mugen own every noob in sight.
I was gonna post something serious about this, but then I saw Code Geass number 1 in your top 10 anime list and I was like
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline  
Old 2010-01-01, 01:23   Link #845
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Summoner's Rift
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Code Geass is brilliant. It made me watch anime again despite all the crap made over the last 5 years. Code Geass has made more people start watching anime amongst people I know and KEEP them watching anime. We shall just agree to disagree. Frankly I was expecting you to go Over 9000 at the more shoujoish material in my list.

But hey, if it's any consolation to you, there are only two TV shows I watch anymore - House and Top Gear. Hugh Laurie is a legend.

But hey, if you really want to say something more, please do. But Psyduck....honestly. Couldn't you have at least given me a Charizard Flamethrower or something?
__________________
Last Sinner is offline  
Old 2010-01-01, 01:32   Link #846
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Code Geass is brilliant. It made me watch anime again despite all the crap made over the last 5 years. Code Geass has made more people start watching anime amongst people I know and KEEP them watching anime.
In my opinion, Code Geass is really bad for exactly the opposite (or the same, depends on the way you look at it) reasons why TTGL is really good. But meh, this is not the place to discuss that. But one thing I have to lol about is you dissing Gainax when Sunrise is blatantly doing the exact same thing in CG, heh (and have been doing it for way more time than Gainax btw).

Quote:
Frankly I was expecting you to go Over 9000 at the more shoujoish material in my list.
Hmm? Why shoujo? Formulaic stuff is formulaic whether it's shounen, shoujo, seinen (that new name they gave to the terribly repetitive eroge harems) or whatever.

Quote:
But hey, if it's any consolation to you, there are only two TV shows I watch anymore - House and Top Gear. Hugh Laurie is a legend.
And if it's any consolation to you too, Kurenai is fucking win.
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline  
Old 2010-01-01, 01:35   Link #847
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Summoner's Rift
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
For the record, I bloody hate Sunrise, especially for their freaking Gundam and Mai-Hime crap. Code Geass is the only exception. And I make no apologies for that.

As for the formulaic stance, essentially anything is formulaic with the 36 possible plot twists argument. But ultimately it's the combination of characters within a story that defines a series. I liked the Code Geass mix, you liked the TTGL mix. End of story.
__________________
Last Sinner is offline  
Old 2010-01-01, 02:04   Link #848
Marcus H.
Concealed Chuunibyou
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Seriously, the first episode of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann made me wish Kamina is the lead male, not some kid who constantly borrows balls from someone else. I can even say Gundam SEED is better than TTGL.
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Spring 2014: No Game No Life, Date A Live II, Magica Wars, Fairy Tail and Isshukan Friends.
Winter 2013/2014 Catch Up: Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren, Sakura Trick and Little Busters! EX.
Log Horizon, Strike the Blood and Tokyo Ravens from Fall 2013.


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 192. Plan to watch: 31.

Marcus H. is offline  
Old 2010-01-01, 02:41   Link #849
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
As for the formulaic stance, essentially anything is formulaic with the 36 possible plot twists argument. But ultimately it's the combination of characters within a story that defines a series. I liked the Code Geass mix, you liked the TTGL mix. End of story.
It's a bit more complex than that. TTGL doesn't shine because of the storyline or because of the characters. TTGL shines, in my view, because of how honest it is about its intentions. It cares jack shit about surprising you and it puts all its effort into ridiculously exaggerating the average epic coming of age mecha series. It is, in a way, the exact opposite of Evangelion (even though it's not nearly as good as that series).

Code Geass, on the other side, tries way too hard to do everything, to cater to every demographic. It wants to be Evangelion. It wants to be Gundam. It wants to be a fanservice show. It wants to have a contrived storyline that's supposed to surprise you and make you think (lol). And in the process it utterly fails at everything. Perhaps the only thing I liked about the entire series was the final episode, probably because they couldn't use a pointless cliffhanger to keep the tension (like they did throughout the whole series).
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline  
Old 2010-01-01, 02:48   Link #850
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Summoner's Rift
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Well, you've said it. That is exactly why I hate TTGL more than anything and why I like Code Geass so much. So we understand each other and can move on. Except that CG never tried to be those other shows. But I will grant you that it did try to be very multi-genre. Whether it succeeded or failed is up to the individual. Regardless, referring to 'The War'...I think anime has moved on from 'The War'.
__________________
Last Sinner is offline  
Old 2010-01-02, 00:32   Link #851
Terrestrial Dream
勇者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tesla Leicht Institute
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Yea people generally love TTGL's characters more than anything, especially the non mecha fans it attracted.

And Kamina was loved so much by non mecha TTGL fans that the show is getting hate from mecha fans. People who've watched TTGL as their only Super Robot anime, thinks that Kamina is like the greatest mecha character ever, which offends lots of mecha anime fans.
I wouldn't even consider Kamina to be the best character in TTGL, that title belongs to Simon easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
That's why I haven't watched it yet <_<, though I plan to eventually since I enjoyed needless, and they're supposed similar from what all people said in the Needless thread.

Also on Baccano friend showed me the first episode of it few days ago, and honestly I've never felt so WTF just happened in a series for first episode[in a bad way] before it kinda pushed me away some from it does it make more sense as it goes on cause the first episode was way tooo chaotic, and annoying to follow for my tastes.
It is chaotic but that was one of the reason why I was sucked into the show. And I like beginning like this, it was similar with Z-Hen as well. The conclusion is almost defined so it didn't need cheap cliffhanger to make the show incredible instead the middle part of the show was what made it great. And without those cheap cliffhanger the show is much more enjoyable the second time as you noticed lot of things that you would only realize after watching the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Heh, that's the last reason I'd pick (characters were extremely simple and not really interesting, were it not the point of the series to be an extremely simple but extremely well done and exaggerated run of the mill growing-up story).
Well the simplicity was one of the likable things about them for me. But yes the show being very direct was one of the best thing about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Spoiler for space:
Lol, thanks for those posts, though to be bad that you didn't like the characters from Baccano!. As for me I love all the characters for their own interesting way. But each to its own.
__________________
Terrestrial Dream is offline  
Old 2010-01-09, 21:40   Link #852
HigurashinoUmineko
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I really don't like Kodomo no Jikan for some reason. I don't know why...
HigurashinoUmineko is offline  
Old 2010-01-10, 02:32   Link #853
Socke
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Hetalia. I have no idea why lots of people love it. Yes, even men are watching it. Funny, no and in fact Robot Chicken shows are many time funnier and more satirical than Hetalia.
Socke is offline  
Old 2010-01-10, 03:27   Link #854
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Can't say that I really hate these shows, but I was certainly never a fan and I could never understand exactly why they were popular (outside of fanservice excuses):

(I should mention that I am not quite sure how popular some of these titles are, but however popular they are, they are too popular by far ...)

Prince of Tennis (acyually, I am not sure if anyone is a fan of this series anymore)
Mai-Hime and Mai-Otome (for obvious reasons)
Love Hina (the manga is a lot of fun, but the series and ovas are pretty bad)
Elfin Lied (again, not necessarily bad, but a little boring in its delibrate over-the-top story/characters)
Mahou Sensei Negima (another case of a bad tv series based on a good manga)
D. Gray-Man (manga is just barely okay, but the aniem is very boring)
Ninja Scroll (both the movie and the series)
Death Note (I found the pacing to be foolish, and the exposition to be deadly boring (if you have to constantly tell the audience what you are doing, and not adequetly visualize it, then you should just do a radio program instead))
Fushigi Yuugi (sure, I am used to bad female protagonist (i.e. negative role models) in shounen or shoujo series, but the heroine from this series drove me insane. It didn't help how predictable the plot and characters were, nor how silly the action was)
Hayate the Combat Butler! (the manga is kind of cute (even if it is pointless), but unlike the manga, where each chapter can be finished in about 3 minutes, the 20 minutes episodes were annoyingly boring. Sure it has good acting and cute characters, but nothing they said or did was that interesting (you can only hear the same type of otaku jokes so many times before they have no effect anymore, etc))
Fullmetal Alchemist (I really wanted to like this series, but it always felt so incomplete and lacking (it certainly didn't help how pointless the main characters always felt when compared to the larger organization, etc, within the world). The manga and the new series are vastly superior to this title...)


Again, I do not hate these titles. I am indifferent to them, and have never really understood their popularity. But, I do not hate them.

Last edited by james0246; 2010-01-10 at 03:40.
james0246 is offline  
Old 2010-01-10, 04:01   Link #855
Ash Falls Town
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Adelaide
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Mahou Sensei Negima (another case of a bad tv series based on a good manga)
LOL whut?
If you say something good about the anime (outside of Sayo's episode) most people assume you're trolling.

Anyway Special A is another show I absolutely hate. Sakura could quite possibly be my least favourite character in all anime. (Ignoring characters you're supposed to hate.) Kei is a huge jerk and Akira is everything wrong with violent tsunderes. The fact that Jun, Hikari and Tadashi not only tolerate but like them reflects badly on them too. Plus the show is filled with blatant classism and arguments against this are presented in the anime by strawmen like the student council president so they can be knocked down.
__________________
Ash Falls Town is offline  
Old 2010-01-10, 18:31   Link #856
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Kimi ni todoke - I only saw one episode because I just did not want to watch anymore but like I got a horrible vibe from this anime. If after watching some anime I think hm... were those 20 minutes worth it like could it have been put to better use than watching this show, in other words, is this show worth my time. And so I just felt 20 minutes wasted away by this show so I just did not feel like watching episode 2.

Everything is iffy. One the setting... it reminds me of yamamoto nadeshiko - yeah it's a little different - but anyways yamaoto nadeshiko is bad. 2,. i don't like the voice actors of either the guy or girl. I don't like the opening or ending song. I hate the animation ( I don't know... it's 2009 this shit looks so simple and just... boring and the usual shoujo animation effects). characters are bleh (the girl's monologue is so been there done that a milliont times over in shoujo). I hate those brown/orange gals... and why the hell are they so nice. this anime's not funny at all.. it just gives me the feeling, what's the point of watching this show. I can't watch this kind of fake crap. Really convoluted to me. If anyone like felt like me and then some how this anime improves dramatically do tell me but i have a strong feeling it'll be just this~~ all the way through.

I really was expecting something since the manga is so priased and all that. And I was like oh finally an anime worth watching and i just feel no desire to watch any further eps or this.
__________________
<3
xxanimefan4_ever is offline  
Old 2010-01-10, 18:41   Link #857
Haladflire65
Senior Member
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Normandy SR-2
Age: 19
Death Note... I just didn't find it as interesting as everyone seemed to think. To me, it didn't seem that special or groundbreaking, other than that it was really long. I can't say I hate it but I didn't like it much either.
__________________
Haladflire65 is offline  
Old 2010-01-10, 21:36   Link #858
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Sunshine State
Age: 22
@xxanimefan4_ever :

While I agree with some aspects, I have to disagree with the animation.
It's anything but boring and simple. To me, personally, the backgrounds & scenery were full of feeling and emotion. They practically make-or-break a scene. Perhaps the character designs were simple but I think that compliments how simple & lovely the story is itself.

And that was my VERY problem with the series. It was too bland and straight forward. There's no meat to chew on, no substance. I gave the series more a chance than you, and stopped at episode 10 I dunno, I found Sawako & her relationship with other people so..... elementary. It didn't help that the series traveled at a snail's pace either. That & I found Sawako's revelations very annoying. "Oooo, so they're REALLY my friends!" "Omg, he smiled at me!" "Wow, this person is so good at heart!" -insert sparkles & bubbles here- I had to stop myself from banging my head against a wall a couple times.

I felt like this series is a bit too over-hyped in the shoujo realm. ANN gave the manga quite a high rating so of course I checked it out. By the time I finished the first volume, I had to scratch my head and think about what was so special about this series. It's nothing special at all. If I quickly read/watched the whole series in one-go, I would probably forget about it after a couple days or so. I couldn't find the characters nor the situations Sawako faced engaging. Maybe at first but after a while, it's dry & repetitive. I really tried getting into Kimi ni Todoke but I just couldn't. I have no clue how it became so popular amongst the shoujo fans.

It beats me.
Starry Dust is offline  
Old 2010-01-10, 22:03   Link #859
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxanimefan4_ever View Post
Kimi ni todoke -

Everything is iffy. One the setting... it reminds me of yamamoto nadeshiko - yeah it's a little different - but anyways yamaoto nadeshiko is bad..
I had to laugh at this because that's our debate in the KnT thread.

Yeah, it's definitely a different kind of shojo title. I think people are in it for Kazehaya's reactions more than Sawako's inner monologue and actions.
__________________
orion is offline  
Old 2010-01-11, 00:50   Link #860
Socke
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
I'll add three more...

1. One Piece

It's cool to hate Naruto, Bleach and Katekyo Hitman Reborn but please never ever, ever, EVER hate One Piece. It had some unknown powers that somewhat prevented people say anything bad about it. If someone do, he or she will be beaten to death, in internet sense.

2. School Days

While technically not everyone loves this show but people loved it for stupid reason, its ending. While most critics panned it but internet loves it. Yes 4chan loves it, Youtube loves it, random anime blogs love it, Anime News Network loves it, and hell even Myanimelist loves it. Back then in 2007 the "Nice Boat" were fandubbed to hell but thankfully most of them has been removed in Youtube.

Want to know how sucks School Days is? Imagine in the last episode of CSI: Miami Horatio Caine is revealed to be a psychotic maniac, killed all other CSI team, cut their heads off, all throw all severed heads into Atlantic Ocean. Yes its shocking but shocking isn't always equal good.

School Days is one of the shows that were loved for stupid reason.

1. Legend of the Galactic Heroes

LotGH fans disgusted me more than School Days one. SD fans never recommend me to watch that shit but LotGH fans acted like Nazis, persuade me to watch it and the worst case even say that if you don't watch this anime and you are not anime fan.

LotGH fans are very much like Nazis telling everybody else that why LotGH is far superior than any other anime out there.
Socke is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.