AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-01-18, 07:31   Link #921
Socke
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
I hate to say the exact same thing again but I really don't understand why do lots of people love Hetalia. It treated both world wars as high school comedy which filled with fujioshi fanservice. Perhaps what most people drawn to it is its length. Only 5 minutes each. Heck even I found its omake part, Chibitalia better than its main show, as its true to Italian history.
Socke is offline  
Old 2010-01-19, 15:32   Link #922
Mayhem The Great
The Glob of Destruction
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: A castle hidden somewhere on a desert island
Age: 24
Gurren Lagann is has very Love/Hate relationship with me. There were some episodes that got very confusing and ridiculous even for me... and in the uncut episode 9, was it really necessary to have a shot inside Simon's butt while Gimmy shoved his finger up his anus? Ick.

Also, I fail to see the "epicness" of Kamina. Hey may have cared about Simon, but that did not prevent him from being annoying in my eyes. The fans go on about how manly and epic he is, but when I saw him, I only saw him as a barbaric, sexist, rude, loudmouthed, and just plain annoying macho wrestler. That may be awesome for some people but that does not entertain me in the slightest.

Plus every time I heard his wordy speeches and quotes about being manly, I was very tempted to strike Kamina someplace where it really hurts...

Okay, flame away.
Mayhem The Great is offline  
Old 2010-01-19, 17:59   Link #923
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Gurren Lagann's strong points are the fact that it's as simple as it gets and it does not shy away its true nature--ie, that the show is about the classic coming-of-age epic story with a young boy facing ridiculous odds and prevailing... only that the ridiculous odds are actually explicitly ridiculous. Its story is so simple, yet it's delivered so effectively it really fulfils its purpose.

Contrast that with a needlessly over-complicated Code Geass whose writers can't distinguish between a cliffhanger, a plot device and a deus ex, and you've got the reason why I liked the show so much.
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline  
Old 2010-01-19, 18:27   Link #924
Triple_R
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem The Great View Post
Gurren Lagann is has very Love/Hate relationship with me. There were some episodes that got very confusing and ridiculous even for me... and in the uncut episode 9, was it really necessary to have a shot inside Simon's butt while Gimmy shoved his finger up his anus? Ick.

Also, I fail to see the "epicness" of Kamina. Hey may have cared about Simon, but that did not prevent him from being annoying in my eyes. The fans go on about how manly and epic he is, but when I saw him, I only saw him as a barbaric, sexist, rude, loudmouthed, and just plain annoying macho wrestler. That may be awesome for some people but that does not entertain me in the slightest.

Plus every time I heard his wordy speeches and quotes about being manly, I was very tempted to strike Kamina someplace where it really hurts...

Okay, flame away.
How was Kamina sexist?

The guy never blocked women from serving alongside him in battle, IIRC. In fact, him and Yoko got along pretty well with each other, IIRC.


I don't begrudge you your other complaints against his character (I disagree with them, but I can see how somebody might find Kamina to be like that), but the 'sexist' charge seems a bit much to me.
__________________
Triple_R is offline  
Old 2010-01-19, 19:57   Link #925
gigaloki
The Silent Ninja Perv
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Millenium Castle Brunstud
Send a message via Yahoo to gigaloki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
You know, while it's courteous in this thread to keep justifying counter-arguments to a minimum, it's also courteous to keep the hate limited to the anime, not the fans.
yeah yeah... we are epicly hurt

well i hate damned long endless sagas of Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Hitman and DBZ (i hate this the most, well, not when im still a kiddo. but now is different), for only one reason, hell one readable plot!

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER!! ones they defeat an antagonist. and its endless. i'de rather see more endless 8 than watchin this types of animus
__________________

YURINESS

NeverGiveUpPH
gigaloki is offline  
Old 2010-01-19, 21:14   Link #926
Mayhem The Great
The Glob of Destruction
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: A castle hidden somewhere on a desert island
Age: 24
Quote:
How was Kamina sexist?

The guy never blocked women from serving alongside him in battle, IIRC. In fact, him and Yoko got along pretty well with each other, IIRC.


I don't begrudge you your other complaints against his character (I disagree with them, but I can see how somebody might find Kamina to be like that), but the 'sexist' charge seems a bit much to me.
Now that I think of it, I may be thinking of the Gurren Lagann High Manga where Kamina would tell Yoko to butt out because she was a woman or something like that.

He did tell her the same thing in episode 1, which made me want to give him a good swift kick to a very painful area.

It kinda stinks to be raised in a family where my Dad used to work alot... It kinda made me a little too feminist, so i'm probably blowing things out of proportion.

The show had strong women and all, but because the folks Gainax loves bouncing brests, it may be mistaken for a sexist show.

Quote:
Gurren Lagann's strong points are the fact that it's as simple as it gets and it does not shy away its true nature--ie, that the show is about the classic coming-of-age epic story with a young boy facing ridiculous odds and prevailing... only that the ridiculous odds are actually explicitly ridiculous. Its story is so simple, yet it's delivered so effectively it really fulfils its purpose.

Contrast that with a needlessly over-complicated Code Geass whose writers can't distinguish between a cliffhanger, a plot device and a deus ex, and you've got the reason why I liked the show so much.
But but but.... I loved Code Geass! And complicated plots! D: Eh, I had it coming and from what I can tell, Code Geass not really a good example of a mech series.

I'm not a big fan of simple plots and really didn't like how most of the fights were 'rush into battle.' Wasn't it only once that they strategized their battles? It seemed like both the heroes and the villians would be all "Leeroy Jenkins" on us. there were episodes that were so ridiculous it almost seemed like a parody than a tribute at times. Bah, It may be too much Code Geass ruined my perception of how robot battles are supposed to be.

Gurren Lagann was certainly not a bad series, it's just as epic as everyone is saying in my opinion.

And that still doesn't change how disturbed I was about the 6th episode's shot from inside Simon's anus.(How the heck does one get a camera inside a butt? D: )

Last edited by Mayhem The Great; 2010-01-21 at 13:48.
Mayhem The Great is offline  
Old 2010-01-19, 21:26   Link #927
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaloki View Post
yeah yeah... we are epicly hurt
Do you know how close I am to cutting my beautiful wrists because of that comment? Do you?


...


*Ahem* To keep on topic, somewhat, kinda:

I agree with Socke on Hetalia Axis Powers. I don't mind the fujoshi bait thing or the moefication [/word] thing even if I'm not a fan -- they can have their porn, and it's not like I have a thing against pretty boys -- but I guess in a sense I'm such a history geek that I've moved on to a higher plane of existence, where these shallow stereotypes are old jokes belonging to an inferior species of petit-bourgeois whose vulgar tastes cannot possibly appreciate the more arcane humor I now subsist on. Serious, mean Germany is so old when the real history of the Weimar Republic is a grand comedy (or tragedy) far surpasses anything these so-called wits can come up with.

It's like some idiot going, "oh, the French are such cowards, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL." Sure, it's "funny" the first time, but after a while I just want to put them on a guillotine and let the blade down, Jacobin-style, bitch. What now, Robespierre?

So it goes.
Irenicus is offline  
Old 2010-01-20, 02:00   Link #928
Jeffry2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Age: 28
Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Mai HiME & Otome seems like all about Emotions & Feelings rather than Comedic segment. Until I was completely paranoid @ Was like those images in my head about those events in the series really bothers me.
Jeffry2009 is offline  
Old 2010-01-20, 21:02   Link #929
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Code Geass is much, much more entertaining if you absolutely refuse to take it seriously and just enjoy the fabulous.

you spin me right round baby right round like a record baby right round round round
__________________
synaesthetic is offline  
Old 2010-01-20, 22:16   Link #930
Seitsuki
Onee!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Auckland, NZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Code Geass is much, much more entertaining if you absolutely refuse to take it seriously and just enjoy the fabulous.

you spin me right round baby right round like a record baby right round round round
Agreed. Epic hat, ftw.
__________________
thanks to Patchy ♥
Seitsuki is offline  
Old 2010-01-21, 01:48   Link #931
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Code Geass is much, much more entertaining if you absolutely refuse to take it seriously and just enjoy the fabulous.
I mean, that's the reason why I liked TTGL. Code Geass just wanted so badly to be taken seriously :/
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline  
Old 2010-01-21, 09:15   Link #932
Cosmic Eagle
生と死の刹那に未知の結末を見る
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ghetto der Ewigkeit
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Code Geass is much, much more entertaining if you absolutely refuse to take it seriously and just enjoy the fabulous.

you spin me right round baby right round like a record baby right round round round
So tempted to post that Geass Twist parody....
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline  
Old 2010-01-21, 13:48   Link #933
Mayhem The Great
The Glob of Destruction
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: A castle hidden somewhere on a desert island
Age: 24
Code Geass is apparentally not a good mech show, and it did get too odd for me at times.

However, on the topic of Gurren Lagann, saying that it's supposed to be stupidly ridiculous does not change my opinion about it. Just because it's ment to be ridiculous doesn't make it a better show IMO. I really didn't like the fact that everyone had a rush into battle attitude, and I mean everyone who was on the battlefield.

Some of the characters were memorable I'll give it that, (Even Kamina whom I hate with a passion.) and the mechs had great designs, but it's still riduculous, whether or not it was ment to be.

Anyway another show I couldn't get into was Cowboy Bebop. I tried hard to like it, I really did, but I was really turned off by how slow and episodic the show got.
Mayhem The Great is offline  
Old 2010-01-21, 17:01   Link #934
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I mean, that's the reason why I liked TTGL. Code Geass just wanted so badly to be taken seriously :/
This is true. CG went around begging to be taken seriously. This is why it's so unintentionally hilarious when you don't take it seriously.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline  
Old 2010-01-21, 22:08   Link #935
Xion Valkyrie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
This is true. CG went around begging to be taken seriously. This is why it's so unintentionally hilarious when you don't take it seriously.
Well, the first season pulled it off pretty well. Sure, things were FABULOUS, but the serious side of things were pretty interesting. 2nd season pretty much turned that up on it's head.

Anyways, I don't like harem shows in general. Actually I don't like shows with weak main characters, which 99% of harem shows have. They seem extremely popular though =/
Xion Valkyrie is offline  
Old 2010-01-21, 22:14   Link #936
Triple_R
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Well, the first season pulled it off pretty well. Sure, things were FABULOUS, but the serious side of things were pretty interesting. 2nd season pretty much turned that up on it's head.

Agreed.

The political/military conflict of the first season felt real. It wasn't hard to take it seriously. It was handled not all that much differently from how a good Gundam series would handle it.


The 2nd season made it impossible to take seriously, though, due to the addition of all sorts of weird stuff (imo). Code Geass became more TTGL/NGE (in its over-the-top vaguely metaphysical elements), and much less grounded in a Gundam way.

It just wasn't a good mix (the TTGL/NGE-esque elements, and the political/military conflict elements of a Gundam show), imo.


The reason why political/military conflicts in many of the Gundam shows can work really well is that you can kind of imagine something akin to them happening in real life (in the future, of course). This makes the conflict a bit more engaging, imo.

Aside from a couple superpower elements, the first season of Code Geass was much the same way. The second season simply amplified those superpower elements to the nth degree, though.
__________________
Triple_R is offline  
Old 2010-01-22, 20:16   Link #937
gonzo562
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
the whole aria series and Mushishi everyone seems to love these shows. But i just cant get my self to enjoy these episodic slice of life series
gonzo562 is offline  
Old 2010-01-22, 22:29   Link #938
Xion Valkyrie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo562 View Post
the whole aria series and Mushishi everyone seems to love these shows. But i just cant get my self to enjoy these episodic slice of life series
I thought the first episode of Mushishi was one of the most brilliant episodes of anime I've ever watch. However, after the 7th or so episode, everything just felt too similar. The newer mushis weren't as interesting as the earlier ones, and the complete lack of an overarching story didn't make me feel like watching more episodes after that.
Xion Valkyrie is offline  
Old 2010-01-22, 22:50   Link #939
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Well, the first season pulled it off pretty well. Sure, things were FABULOUS, but the serious side of things were pretty interesting. 2nd season pretty much turned that up on it's head.
I stopped taking CG seriously when all the humongous mecha started flying.

I mean, c'mon. In Gundam it's somewhat permittable, even expected, as mobile suits are generally used more as oddly-shaped space fighters than something akin to MechWarrior.

But seriously, Code Geass had something good going with the Knightmare Frames to start with in season one. I remember when I first saw the series (especially with the KMFs having wheels on the feet) it immediately brought to mind a pair of excellent Real Robot computer games from the nineties, the Heavy Gear series.

Oh man those games were fun.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline  
Old 2010-01-22, 22:53   Link #940
ZxK
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
okay someones gonna kill me if i say this... K-ON...

but actually i dont hate it i just dont want to watch i dont feel like watching it since i think i dont like the plot and i still got a lot to watch


on TTGL topic i agree that sometimes it gets on my nerves... like whenever i see rosui i wanna kill him badly also that girl who is in love with him... i hate them both their at the top of my most hated character...
ZxK is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.