AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-08, 14:04   Link #1301
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
I've also heard that the excessive fanservice really ruins the show. Shame because the premise seemed to hold so much potential. There aren't many zombie shows out there.
You heard wrong. The show source is a empty shell with potential, that like others these days seems to just want to spin in circles; so I guess that's wasted potential. The only reason to watch it is for the visuals. There's not much wrong with the adaptation itself.
Old 2011-01-08, 14:21   Link #1302
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
I've also heard that the excessive fanservice really ruins the show. Shame because the premise seemed to hold so much potential. There aren't many zombie shows out there.
Can't say much about animes but otherwise zombies are almost everywhere I look. I would say that zombies are the most over used theme

About Highschool of the dead, I skipped through first 3 episodes and fanservice along with not needed comedy was a huge turn off for me... However, I will give it another shot only because one of my fave seiyu's is voicing one of the characters that everyone seems to like.
Old 2011-01-08, 14:42   Link #1303
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
For what I'm reading here is more than obvious that One Piece is only followed by childs, well, that's normal with the complete lack of plot.

We can say One Piece is the "Teletubbies" of Japan.
One Piece is the Japanese equivalent of Teletubbies, eh? Well, I sure didn't know that Teletubbies dealt with slavery, murder, blackmailing, discrimination, racism, broken dreams, torture, tyrrany, civil war or genocide. Nor was I aware of Teletubbies's extremely complex world with a long history of bloodshed and secrecy. Or how about the massive cast of Teletubbies with its hundreds of distinct, memorable characters? Never knew it had that either.

...Man, if Teletubbies is anything like One Piece, then it must be awesome.
Old 2011-01-08, 14:51   Link #1304
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Can't say much about animes but otherwise zombies are almost everywhere I look. I would say that zombies are the most over used theme
But you just said you can't say much about animes, which indicates you don't know what you're talking about.

Zombies may be the most overused theme normally in games and movies, but this is NOT the case with anime. In fact, the only zombie show besides HOTD I've seen is Zombie Loan .. But I dont even remember if that series was actually zombies, has been so long.

And yes .. HOTD was awful. It could have had potential, but all the fanservice .. just ugh. Can't blame the adaptation though, the manga was like this too.

Aside from HOTD ... Strike Witches. It seems really popular yet .. I can't even understand the point of the series. The whole concept seems ridiculous and stupid. In SW world it's apparently normal to wear no skirt etc. just walking around in your pantsu ... yeah riight. And I'm not even gonna go to the whole '' When I use magic, I grow cat/dog? ears and tail ''.

If it wasn't for these two things, SW just might have been an okay anime .. But no, apparently mindless and stupid fanservice is what Japanese otaku want, which is why even now we keep getting these shitty ecchi series in each season.
Old 2011-01-08, 18:38   Link #1305
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Zombies may be the most overused theme normally in games and movies, but this is NOT the case with anime. In fact, the only zombie show besides HOTD I've seen is Zombie Loan .. But I dont even remember if that series was actually zombies, has been so long.
Technically yes, they were dead (weren't they, sorta?). However I don't really remember any show to use the "zombie disease" theme. I do recall some manga however, though none with it as the main focus. If you take it as only "zombies"/"living dead" it's not that uncommon though arguably zombies in manga/anime tend to be zombies only in name, compared to their western cousins.
Old 2011-01-08, 18:48   Link #1306
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Kuragihime(am I spelled right) takes the cake. Just another Ouran clone(with also its annoyance) and this time it was the guy who is a cross-dresser instead. The leading girl is also ugly(there's even uglier girls in the show) but as a shoujo anime, that's no surprise.
Old 2011-01-08, 19:54   Link #1307
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Can't say much about animes but otherwise zombies are almost everywhere I look.
Er, I really just meant in anime.
Old 2011-01-08, 21:09   Link #1308
kitten320

That's the problem, I saw so many zombies in games and real life movies that I simply don't want to see them in anime too. Please zombies, don't invade anime as well! I'm tired of you! You are not cool!

Especially when plot is almost always the same, even HOTD is a rip off at some point from 28 days and I'm legend movies.

Nothing new happens, some virus attack. People die and become zombies, the bite spreads the virus. Destroy their brains to kill them. Everyone run to survive! Oh no, I will find the cure even though there are only several people alive.

Seriously, zombies are as over used as vampires, the only difference is that vampires have already invaded anime world.
Old 2011-01-08, 21:18   Link #1309
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
And yes .. HOTD was awful. It could have had potential, but all the fanservice .. just ugh. Can't blame the adaptation though, the manga was like this too.
Speaks the truth, Highschool of the Dead would have been a good Anime Adaptation from the manga if they hadn't abused it with fanservice scenes that just kept on increasing every single episode. If they kept it at a limit from what they had on episodes 1-2 then it would have worked out. But I like the manga version though.
Old 2011-01-08, 21:35   Link #1310
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I don't hate TTGL as much as I hate TTGL fantarts, it did bring back the spiriti of super robots but it is not the "AWESOMEST THING EVER!" like fans say. Shin Mazinger Z and Gundam 00 surpassed it in sales and other super robot shows such as G Gundam and GaoGaiGar got their themes across better without any of the trippy Gainax crap that the studio seems to love pulling.
Old 2011-01-08, 21:48   Link #1311
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
For what I'm reading here is more than obvious that One Piece is only followed by childs, well, that's normal with the complete lack of plot.

We can say One Piece is the "Teletubbies" of Japan.
Maybe you should look up some actual statistics. I don't think the best selling manga of all time would only be read by prepubescent children.

The overall plot doesn't really kick in right away either, it's scattered throughout the series, but it's there.

Quote:
Frankly I found One Piece unbearable. I thought the characters were uninteresting, the plot ridiculous and the artwork shite. And I didn't care much for the comedy either. In the end I dropped it when I got to around Chapter 200. I don't care if it does get better. It shouldn't have to get better. It should've been good from the start.
I'd say 200 chapters is a more than fair attempt for it's length. I'll accept your dislike if that's the case.

And I agree the humor isn't for everybody.

Though I can't say I agree with it HAVING to be be good at the start. Something going up the hill in quality is very impressive considering how many series' go downhill in time.
Old 2011-01-08, 22:46   Link #1312
Zotis
Rank #35

Shows like One Piece and Naruto are very childish. They're essentially kid's shows. Older teens should have grown out of that stuff, but they like their lame fantasy worlds. Such shows are little more than extended glorified toy commercials. Okay, so there are things about it people like. The animation is cute, and it's just light hearted fun to watch. Whatever, everyone's entitled to bad taste, but that doesn't make it good. Popularity and raking in the doe doesn't make anything good. Britney Spears and the Back Street Boy's taught us that if nothing else. Horrible lame garbage sells because people are ignorant. Nothing about One Piece or Naruto makes any sense. The humor is elementary grade, not remotely clever. The animation is polished but has no artistic quality. Shows like these are just shiny turds.

That's my oppinion anyway. I really can't stand them. They appaul me. And I hate going into a forum looking for some sweet anime mentioning a whole bunch of rare obscure anime I'm into only to be recommended Bleach. Like seriously if I'm watching Genocyber and Curse of Kazuo what would make anyone think I'd be interested in Bleach or DBZ as if I haven't aleady heard of them years ago and they're being mentioned in every other thread?
Old 2011-01-08, 23:46   Link #1313
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotis View Post
Shows like One Piece are very childish. They're essentially kid's shows. Older teens should have grown out of that stuff, but they like their lame fantasy worlds. Such shows are little more than extended glorified toy commercials.
Not gonna deny that children was probably originally the intended demographic and originally never expected to go beyond that, but it just so happens this series ended up being appealing to both children AND adults.

Plus some of the content in this series is stuff I doubt children would follow well at all. Like they'd even be able to understand the politics behind a civil war or the cicumstances leading to a corrupted government or justice system.

It could be argued the series didn't start like that though and began to evolve into it, and frankly I can sorta see it. Shonen Jump overall has evolved over the years into more of a magazine for young adults rather than children. This can be backed up by the recent printing of the Saikyo Jump magazine intended for younger children.

I personally don't think anyone should say something is good or bad until they've experienced a decent amount of it. It should go without saying really. You can claim I'm ignorant for liking it, but I could call you the same for being unwilling to find the gem in the rough.
Old 2011-01-09, 00:05   Link #1314
wingman32x

I gave One Piece a fair shake (250 chapters) and couldn't get into it. So yeah, I too don't understand the appeal of One Piece. No disrespect to the people that do, though.
Old 2011-01-09, 00:20   Link #1315
Zotis
Rank #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Plus some of the content in this series is stuff I doubt children would follow well at all. Like they'd even be able to understand the politics behind a civil war or the cicumstances leading to a corrupted government or justice system.

I personally don't think anyone should say something is good or bad until they've experienced a decent amount of it. It should go without saying really. You can claim I'm ignorant for liking it, but I could call you the same for being unwilling to find the gem in the rough.
I doubt One Piece goes into very much depth or realism with things like civil wars and corrupt governments. The entire show is a caricaturism. I've only really seen clips though as I couldn't sit through an entire episode. And how much crap do you have to eat before you know it tastes bad? You don't have to eat any. You can actually learn things through faith, like not to put your hand on a red hot stove. You don't have to experience a decent amount of it first. If you were to recomend any anime to me, I would probably google it and look at some picutres first. If it looked like this I wouldn't be remotely interested. But if it looked like this I would. I don't like childish anime because I'm not a child, I'm an adult and I like mature realistic anime.

People say One Piece is well drawn, but it's only well polished. Two lines filled with one solid peach shade is not a well drawn arm, and a rubber tube bending like a macaroni is not a well drawn elbow.

Just because some adults who also like a whole bunch of other shows that are predomanantly watched by 12 year olds and are made by adults, doesn't mean there's any substantial adult content in the show. Could you honestly learn anything from watching it? But there's a scene in Ghost in the Shell which depsite having watched over a dozen times I still haven't been able to grasp. In this scene a sentient machine is talking about the signifigance of human life. He says, "And can you offer me proof of your existence? How can you when life itself can not be explained by science of philosophy..." And these are things that children can grasp. We all studied civil wars and corrupt governments in elementary school history. Kid's aren't stupid, shows like that don't teach kids anything, they dumb them down.

Anyway, I feel like I should apologize. I'm not really trying to be mean but I think my criticisms are pretty harsh. I'm not really saying I think it's wrong to like One Piece and Naruto. I just think they're lame and a waste of time. You should read a book or something intead.
Old 2011-01-09, 03:16   Link #1316
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Quote:
That's the problem, I saw so many zombies in games and real life movies that I simply don't want to see them in anime too. Please zombies, don't invade anime as well! I'm tired of you! You are not cool!

Especially when plot is almost always the same, even HOTD is a rip off at some point from 28 days and I'm legend movies.

Nothing new happens, some virus attack. People die and become zombies, the bite spreads the virus. Destroy their brains to kill them. Everyone run to survive! Oh no, I will find the cure even though there are only several people alive.

Seriously, zombies are as over used as vampires, the only difference is that vampires have already invaded anime world.
More like Zombie Strippers minus Resident Evil to me.
Old 2011-01-09, 04:05   Link #1317
Zotis
Rank #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffry2009 View Post
More like Zombie Strippers minus Resident Evil to me.
More like Zombie Strippers divided by Zombies on a Plane (A.K.A. Flight of the Living Dead). Well if you mean Resident Evil 2 then that's bad enough, but the first Resident Evil was too good to be contrasted with High School of the Undead (Unless the minus was because the first Resident Evil was actually somewhat good?).

I will grant High School of the Living Dead that the animation is good quality, well detailed, the backgrounds are nice, etc... When I attempted to watch it I felt pretty good about it during the opening credits, but as soon as the characters started doing stuff and talking I wondered if the entire show was made by one man who was a hermit and had no concept of human interaction... I didn't even get to the plot or character development but I assume there isn't any.

But seriously, was kitten320 saying having a Zombie theme is ripping off new movies that have zombie themes? But then... aren't they just rip offs of the old zombie movies like the origional Dawn of the Dead or Zombie?
Old 2011-01-09, 14:53   Link #1318
kitten320

What I'm saying is that zombies are damn over used with no originality anymore.

I don't mind several zombies as side characters but when it is zombies apocalypse after apocalypse, I see nothing interesting.
Old 2011-01-09, 20:20   Link #1319
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
What I'm saying is that zombies are damn over used with no originality anymore.

I don't mind several zombies as side characters but when it is zombies apocalypse after apocalypse, I see nothing interesting.
If what you're trying to say is "the classic zombie plot'o'doom is already yesterday's cheese", then I can agree with that.
Old 2011-01-09, 21:35   Link #1320
kitten320

Yeh, that's mostly what I mean.