AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-06-11, 03:08   Link #1281
Ermes Marana
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry View Post
Its only one year difference, my old 8800 GT now play most games in medium settings. Crysis 3 run with good perfomance in low.

The 8800gt came out about 2 years after the xbox 360, at around $250.

The 8800gts came out about 1 year after the xbox 360, at around $500-$600.

Either way, you have to wait at least a year or two. And you have to pay a pretty significant amount. And that is only for the GPU, not the CPU, power supply, RAM, which all need to be higher for a gaming machine.

Making it worse, some of the 8800 parts only had 256 memory, so they would have become obsolete early. If you got a 512 memory at least, it would work for most (but not everything) of the generation at low settings. That's true, but doesn't mean much considering the cost when it came out and the years wait you had to do.

So I'm not seeing you disagree with me here. In order to get a pc to make it through most of the generation, you had to wait years and it was still more expensive unless you waited even more years.


If you had bought your pc in 2005 when xbox 360 released, it would have been worthless. 7800 and x2 CPU is not playing current games at all.

For current gen, I highly doubt anything you get now for comparable price will last nearly as long as a PS4. 8 GB of GDDR5 unified system memory could result in mid range current stuff getting outdated faster than you think.

Let's say you get a GTX 660 right now with 2gb memory. Is that lasting 8 years? Really?
Ermes Marana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 03:12   Link #1282
Dirty_Harry
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermes Marana View Post
The 8800gt came out about 2 years after the xbox 360, at around $250.

The 8800gts came out about 1 year after the xbox 360, at around $500-$600.

Either way, you have to wait at least a year or two. And you have to pay a pretty significant amount. And that is only for the GPU, not the CPU, power supply, RAM, which all need to be higher for a gaming machine.

Making it worse, some of the 8800 parts only had 256 memory, so they would have become obsolete early. If you got a 512 memory at least, it would work for most (but not everything) of the generation at low settings. That's true, but doesn't mean much considering the cost when it came out and the years wait you had to do.

So I'm not seeing you disagree with me here. In order to get a pc to make it through most of the generation, you had to wait years and it was still more expensive unless you waited even more years.
I say the gpu technology dont grow linearly, but exponentially. The high end gpu in 2005 was not as technologically more advanced than a xbox 360. But, in this generation the high end gpu is a lot more ahead than consoles, even a mid end.
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 03:56   Link #1283
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
So, given how Sony is selling the PS4 I'm going to call it now: the XB1 is DOA everywhere but the US. Maybe it still has a chance in the UK but I doubt it.
__________________

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 04:38   Link #1284
Domonkazu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Deutschland
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Don't forget 30 frames per second.

People don't seem to understand that consoles don't run games the same way a PC does.
this is why I hated playing FPS game in console, not mention the blurring effect when you turned around
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 04:44   Link #1285
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Square Enix sold four million copies of Tomb Raider and lost money; they consider it a failure. Their twelve-year-old MMORPG that can run on a toaster makes more profit.
Oh please, unrealistic expectations != development costs. If I fund a project for 100 million, expect it to make 300 million and it makes 150 million it's a disappoint right? All 3 Square Enix Western games in question broke even at least, they're more than likely working on Tomb Raider 2 already.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 04:53   Link #1286
Domonkazu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Deutschland
Age: 30
they just downgraded ported pc games so hard that it can run in consoles, sure you can play BF3 in PS3 or 360 but at what quality??
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 05:36   Link #1287
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domonkazu View Post
they just downgraded ported pc games so hard that it can run in consoles, sure you can play BF3 in PS3 or 360 but at what quality??
No shit, they're 7 to 8 year old consoles.

Gears of War shat over every pc game when it came out. People like to laugh @ the xbone price but the fact is I spend twice as much as that every 3-4 years upgrading my pc.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 08:14   Link #1288
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
MS should never have made Kinect mandatory. I don't know what they were hoping to achieve by doing that, spying or not.

One thing is for sure, without the Kinect, Box1 would have been similar if not identical in price to PS4.

But is it even possible to undo the Kinect requirement? The OS of the console is voice activated, there was no backup to use the machine via traditional methods. MS burned their bridges, and now they are stuck with no good options.

Is it even viable to reboot the console, FFXIV style?
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 08:38   Link #1289
Sides
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
MS should never have made Kinect mandatory. I don't know what they were hoping to achieve by doing that, spying or not.

One thing is for sure, without the Kinect, Box1 would have been similar if not identical in price to PS4.

But is it even possible to undo the Kinect requirement? The OS of the console is voice activated, there was no backup to use the machine via traditional methods. MS burned their bridges, and now they are stuck with no good options.

Is it even viable to reboot the console, FFXIV style?
Pretty sure the devkits don't rely on voice commands, for OS features. MS is software company foremost, so if they wanted they could do way with the drm, kinect and all those unnecessary features. However, it will become more difficult down the road to make these changes, once the console is on the market, since some games would need to be patched to make them work without, say, kinect aso.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 09:42   Link #1290
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
MS should never have made Kinect mandatory. I don't know what they were hoping to achieve by doing that, spying or not.

One thing is for sure, without the Kinect, Box1 would have been similar if not identical in price to PS4.

But is it even possible to undo the Kinect requirement? The OS of the console is voice activated, there was no backup to use the machine via traditional methods. MS burned their bridges, and now they are stuck with no good options.

Is it even viable to reboot the console, FFXIV style?
It's physically possible to remove the Kinect, but Microsoft would never do it. The reason the TV functionality and the NFL exclusive licensing even works is because they're supposed to be easy and intuitive to use. Take away Kinect, and this becomes untrue, and nobody will ever touch those services. All you'd be left with is an inferior PS4 with all of the Xbone's draconian DRM. I think that it's more fruitful to think of the Xbone being built around the Kinect, and that it's impossible to separate it from the whole.

A reboot is impossible for the Xbone without completely redesigning the unit. One of the core concepts behind it was "install everything from disc then throw away the disc", and the only way to do that is that ugly DRM. Instead, Microsoft is going to double down, and proceed with their original plans as if they're still viable. The Xbone will probably still be a moderate success in the U.S., but it's dead everywhere else.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 09:56   Link #1291
Triple_R
"...Why?!", Sailor Faerie
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
It's physically possible to remove the Kinect, but Microsoft would never do it. The reason the TV functionality and the NFL exclusive licensing even works is because they're supposed to be easy and intuitive to use. Take away Kinect, and this becomes untrue, and nobody will ever touch those services. All you'd be left with is an inferior PS4 with all of the Xbone's draconian DRM. I think that it's more fruitful to think of the Xbone being built around the Kinect, and that it's impossible to separate it from the whole.

A reboot is impossible for the Xbone without completely redesigning the unit. One of the core concepts behind it was "install everything from disc then throw away the disc", and the only way to do that is that ugly DRM. Instead, Microsoft is going to double down, and proceed with their original plans as if they're still viable. The Xbone will probably still be a moderate success in the U.S., but it's dead everywhere else.
I pretty much agree.

I expect Microsoft to take on a sort of siege mentality, emphasize the Kinect strengths as much as possible, and then hope for the best.

Sony has really checkmated them into a bad position.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 10:13   Link #1292
Tong
Now, come at me
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 2014 World cup hoster
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Tong Send a message via Skype™ to Tong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Gears of War shat over every pc game when it came out. People like to laugh @ the xbone price but the fact is I spend twice as much as that every 3-4 years upgrading my pc.
Hm, GeOW PC ran very well on average rigs and honestly, was a very optimized port!
And at least PC hardware rarely fails on you, and it's easier to sell in the long run. But PC parts are becoming cheaper now, and you no longer need a monster rig to run @ 60fps+1080p.

And btw, that's the main difference between PS3/360 and PS4/ONE versions.
Graphics can no longer improve much more, and smoothness is the dealbreaker there.
__________________
Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-12, 07:29   Link #1293
Destined_Fate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: "Sacrifice one to appease the few."
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/06/...x-one-in-asia/

XBox One delayed for a year for Asia.

Don't see why they bothered as the 360 sold bad in the East. Like really bad. Many Multi-Plat games in Asia only had a PS3 version.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-12, 08:09   Link #1294
killer3000ad
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 31
Microsoft Don Mattrick: “We have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360.”



http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/06/1...says-microsoft
__________________

Last edited by killer3000ad; 2013-06-12 at 10:24.
killer3000ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-12, 08:33   Link #1295
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In front of my computer
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Microsoft Don Mattrick: “We have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360.”
Translated:
"We have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Playstation 4."
__________________
Duo Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-12, 08:34   Link #1296
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sunriseland
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Microsoft Don Mattrick: “We have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360.”



http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/06/1...says-microsoft
Not helping. Definitely not helping
__________________
"Do not pretend. Retribution for forgiveness, betrayal for trust, despair for hope, darkness for light, dark death for the living." - Kirei Kotomine
KleenexGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-12, 08:37   Link #1297
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Microsoft Don Mattrick: “We have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360.”



http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/06/1...says-microsoft
Next employee to lose his job? Survey says...
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-12, 09:12   Link #1298
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Microsoft Don Mattrick: “We have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360.”



http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/06/1...says-microsoft
It's not a gaffe exactly; that's official company policy. There is NO PLAN other than demanding people to get better internet.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-12, 09:14   Link #1299
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
But it's not really any different from Mr. "Deal With It", who was also just stating company policy. He got canned for it. Easier than changing the policy.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-12, 09:25   Link #1300
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
It's pr spin, the other guy was running his mouth before stuff was even launched.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.