AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2013-06-18, 14:08   Link #1501
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
The PS4 has a touchpad on the controller so you could easily make that sort of scenario work with it (drawing runes on the touchpad).
Eh, good point, but I think the limited vertical height would get in the way. The comparison honestly reminds me of how my 15 inch Macbook Pro owning friend complains about the touchpad on my (11.6 inch) Thinkpad X120E every time he tried to show me something on the Thinkpad.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 16:55   Link #1502
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
My big question is whether Kinect can track to the finger as opposed to just arm level. If it does, it could make for some interesting "controller+" scenarios. You know how Ryse is primarily controller based but you can signal troops with gestures? If you get it to the level where it can track fingers, you could probably implement something like the spellcasting via drawing runes systems in PC games like Arx Fatalis or The Void, except without the clunkiness of trying to draw with a mouse. (It occurs to me the Wii U could also support such a control scheme. So yes, there actually is an area where PS4 is the weakest link too. Wouldn't bet on most devs caring though.)
I'm certain it can't. It's been improved to the point where kinect can read your thumb and thus read your hand like it was a mitten but so far I see nothing to suggest it can read individual fingers

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/43...x-one-hands-on
Spoiler:

One of the suggestions i mentioned before would have been adding a glove peripheral that would have allowed the kinect to track your fingers. That would expanded on the kinect's ability allowing to use any kind of hand gesture as controls. Really forget drawing runes, imagine if you could cast spells with different hand signs. This would have created even more options for games. The other suggestion was a navi controller which also would have expanded on kinect's playablity. Kinect is not a bad idea, but its been stupid for MS to not think about how else the device might be used and figure out how to actually play games with it.

Also the idea of casting spells via drawing runs was kinda of done in Okami on the PS2

Last edited by Slayerx; 2013-06-18 at 18:06.
Slayerx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 22:41   Link #1503
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!

Navy Times join in on slamming the xbone

http://www.navytimes.com/article/201...TY02/306140030

and the terrible PR train rolls on...
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 22:56   Link #1504
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

From another forum:

Quote:
We've got those who want to tell us MS aren't so bad and just telling it like it is. Everything's going digital, and we just don't like what we're hearing.
MS aren't telling it like it is though. They're telling us how they want it, and a major issue with that is we don't like what we hear.

Let's consider why things that have gone digital have done so.

On the music front, iTunes came along.
It was just as convenient as the MP3 player. Holy shit.
99 cents per song, instant delivery, no more requirement to buy an entire shitty CD from that shitty top 40 artist just to hear those 1 or 2 songs you like from them. If you want the whole album, it's cheaper.
The format is already in the digital format the iPod wants, and we all like our iPods better than the Sony Discman.
We get convenience, cheaper music and a whole lot of shit that makes sense. Sorry Tower Records, consumers are sold on it.
We can still get CD's and trade them as we will, but the value and convenience of iTunes made digital distribution a very healthy market.

Movie rentals are an easy one. I just want to see most movies once. I'd rather rent. Oh better yet, I can order this through my cable box for the same price or cheaper and not have to worry about returning the movie and paying late fees. Shit. Sign me up. People love it. Sorry Hollywood Video.
We can still get Blu Ray's and trade them as we will, but the value and convenience of being able to watch movies is making on-demand video a very healthy market.

In these two examples, people were sold on the idea, had time to see the value in it, and opted to put their money there. The market went overwhelmingly digital. Despite that, there are still CD's and Blu Rays out there, because people still do want that sometimes.

Now we come to games, specifically console games.
Buying games digitally's been around a while.
It's great. However when people are being told their discs can't be traded, the reaction is "what the fuck?"
The reply to this is "it's where the industry is headed."
Why is it headed in that direction?
We have the option here for digital, but with a game being a bigger investment in time and money, putting a disc into your console isn't quite that much of an inconvenience. A lot of people are buying their games like this. Probably more than digital.

How come the other segments of the entertainment industry had to offer the consumers compelling reasons to go digital and earn this result while Microsoft sees fit to tell consumers how it's going to be?

People who stopped buying CD's and use digital music services did so on their own accord. Same with the shift in video. Even then, the old formats were never killed off.

MS and those defending their actions would have us believe consumers are wrong on this one despite consumers themselves being the ones who make the markets what they are. As a consumer, I like downloading games, but like the option of owning my discs too.

Why doesn't MS or any game publisher have to convince the public online is the way to go? Why do they get to obliterate trading discs instead of proving to the consumer downloading is the way to go? For all the manufacturing costs in getting those discs into cases, packed with literature and on shelves why don't they have to let consumers see they can be getting the same day one games so much cheaper and quicker by opting into a DRM-based digital sale?
Why do MS get to skip the part where the benefits become clear to most users without discs being rendered useless?

There's a huge ass difference between where the industry goes, and what those who feel like a big enough presence try to force it into.
Old 2013-06-19, 03:54   Link #1505
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
From another forum:
That actually is a good point...
When it comes to other forms of media it was always the consumers themselves who decided when it was time to go digital. The industry gave us access to both physical media and digital and consumers were the ones to decide which was more convenient. MS however is trying to FORCE the change; they are trying to effectively cripple physical media by taking away any advantage they might have had and make it pointless to use it so that people will just go digital. People like having choices; they like being able to choose how to consumer their media, to choose where they can play their consoles, to choose what they can do with their games, to choose where or not they want extra peripherals... Xbox one doesn't give them a choice and that's what's ultimately ticking people off. No choices, just restrictions. All that good stuff that the Xbox one can do; All of it can either be done without the restrictions, or they could be made optional so we don't have to deal with the restrictions if we don't want too
Old 2013-06-19, 04:43   Link #1506
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

The problem with something digital you cannot re-sell or let a friend borrow it and when you do re-sell/lend it, it's piracy.

That's why I do not believe in the digital market. We still need a tangible copy that is our own.
Old 2013-06-19, 05:09   Link #1507
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Sony has way more internal development teams to begin with, so their drought should be less of a factor to begin with.
Not really considering the state that the Vita is at right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Hey, every advantage counts. And there's no telling if they'll be games people want. But there will be a drought, no bones about it. We both agree Sony is better prepared to handle it.
Indies are also great sector for introducing creative new mechanics which a lot of big AAA titles can't afford to risk due to their budgets. Microsoft needs to step up in this regards as well despite not having any presence in the handheld market but they are moving onto tablets which roughly equivalent.
Old 2013-06-19, 05:46   Link #1508
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
That actually is a good point...
When it comes to other forms of media it was always the consumers themselves who decided when it was time to go digital. The industry gave us access to both physical media and digital and consumers were the ones to decide which was more convenient. MS however is trying to FORCE the change; they are trying to effectively cripple physical media by taking away any advantage they might have had and make it pointless to use it so that people will just go digital. People like having choices; they like being able to choose how to consumer their media, to choose where they can play their consoles, to choose what they can do with their games, to choose where or not they want extra peripherals... Xbox one doesn't give them a choice and that's what's ultimately ticking people off. No choices, just restrictions. All that good stuff that the Xbox one can do; All of it can either be done without the restrictions, or they could be made optional so we don't have to deal with the restrictions if we don't want too
MS got ahead of themselves. They couldn't wait to rip off their customers when things go full digital, and as such they decided to just go full digital before it is truly practical.

You know when people turn to full digital voluntarily? They do it when they were better off that way. The reason we are NOT at the full digital era for gaming, is because the infrastructure just isn't there yet.

If MS could bundle in guaranteed internet with every console, it would not be an issue. But no.

It is telling that MS had to lie to themselves. On their own site they say "Every Xbox owner has broadband internet". This is almost like self-brainwashing. They are trying to imagine they are on a different planet from real life, where their Xbox1 wouldn't fail to function for most potential customers.
Old 2013-06-19, 07:03   Link #1509
Sakuranbo
So Like A Rose

Xbone will be the next Sega Saturn/Dreamcast, just wait.
But can you take me home?
Sakuranbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 07:12   Link #1510
Vigo
too lazy to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Not really considering the state that the Vita is at right now.
Lol. What has the Vita to do with anything? Sony's studios don't give a shit about the Vita.

Man I still can't believe that people question Sony's output considering the line up the PS3 has this year.
Vigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 08:40   Link #1511
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phirk View Post
Xbone will be the next Sega Saturn/Dreamcast, just wait.
Wii U might end up the next Sega Saturn. Once some Nintendo killer apps hit the system and a price drop occurs, the Wii U should start selling better. I myself plan to get one this year due to some exclusives it has or will have by the end of the year. Really, I hope to see Wii U sell at least 20 million units. GameCube sold something like 22 million or 23 million units and I hope to see Wii U reach 20 million units sold or a bit more. And that is a realistic expectation, and I wouldn't expect more than that. I doubt Wii U can reach 30 million units sold.
Old 2013-06-19, 08:54   Link #1512
GDB

WiiU is more like the Dreamcast. Good system, good games, but bad timing and its schtick isn't grabbing people like they thought it would. Not as strong as the competitors. Sounds exactly like the Dreamcast.

The bone is more like the Virtual Boy. Pushing progress far beyond where it should be just to just to force it there, gives people headaches, does what no one asked for, and ultimately all you see is red.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 09:50   Link #1513
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
Lol. What has the Vita to do with anything? Sony's studios don't give a shit about the Vita.
And it's better that way, as painful the truth may be.

Honestly? They're better off taking any money reserved for Vita development, go to Capcom/SE and beg them for a Monster Hunter Vita and Dragon Quest Vita.

I'd love to say Pokemon, but they'll never get that no matter how much money they throw to Nintendo.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 10:34   Link #1514
GDB

They pissed Capcom off really bad from what I hear, hence the more recent MH games being on the 3DS.
Old 2013-06-19, 10:55   Link #1515
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
They pissed Capcom off really bad from what I hear, hence the more recent MH games being on the 3DS.
How did they piss them off?
Old 2013-06-19, 14:13   Link #1516
GDB

Something to do with the online servers Sony had not being able to handle what Capcom wanted them to do (something with ad-hoc servers), and refusing to make alterations. Nintendo did, so Capcom went to them. From my understanding, they're staying on Nintendo for at least another few years due to contract reasons.
Old 2013-06-19, 15:11   Link #1517
Edge Meltdown
AxS HxM TxA RxS JxK HxM

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/mi...ies.453123825/

lol this is good... but too late for that :P

"Nothing is true, Everything is Permitted" - Alta´r Ibn-La'Ahad
Edge Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 15:21   Link #1518
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge Meltdown View Post
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/mi...ies.453123825/

lol this is good... but too late for that :P
Casual gamers will not care about all these things. Only at the time of purchase.
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 15:41   Link #1519
GDB

Thread's been deleted, though I managed to read page 1 before it was. Doubt it was true anyway, and if it is an actual press release will come out for it.
Old 2013-06-19, 15:46   Link #1520
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Thread's been deleted, though I managed to read page 1 before it was. Doubt it was true anyway, and if it is an actual press release will come out for it.
What was it about?