AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-07-01, 14:29   Link #1781
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
You consider that Don Mattrick leaving has to do exactly with all the recent missteps that the games division has been going through?

I mean, Don Mattrick was directly responsible for one of the PR cluster fucks of E3.
Him leaving doesn't magically solve all the issues that Xbox One is facing.

After E3, Microsoft have changed their policy and made effort to match PS4 offering (granted not enough in my opinion) and with his sudden departure, there's going to be a period of confusion and disarray within the office which is going to delay decision making process.

When new leadership comes in, there's always going to be some reshuffling and changes in management and it's going to take time and focus to adjust and with Microsoft in midst of preparing for a new product roll out is probably the worst time for it to happen.

While gamers might be cheering at this news, this makes me question Microsoft current state of affair (who wants to leave a corporation as prolific as Microsoft unless there's something really bad going on) and the chance that we'll see any meaningful changes with the Xbox One before release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I'm more surprised someone at Zynga thought, "This kind of guy, this guy right here... this is what we need."
Zynga is really in a rough spot right now and considering Don Mattrick's experience and portfolio, I'm sure they are pretty happy to have him.
__________________
Jazzrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 14:42   Link #1782
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Him leaving doesn't magically solve all the issues that Xbox One is facing.

After E3, Microsoft have changed their policy and made effort to match PS4 offering (granted not enough in my opinion) and with his sudden departure, there's going to be a period of confusion and disarray within the office which is going to delay decision making process.

When new leadership comes in, there's always going to be some reshuffling and changes in management and it's going to take time and focus to adjust and with Microsoft in midst of preparing for a new product roll out is probably the worst time for it to happen.

While gamers might be cheering at this news, this makes me question Microsoft current state of affair (who wants to leave a corporation as prolific as Microsoft unless there's something really bad going on) and the chance that we'll see any meaningful changes with the Xbox One before release.
There have been rumors recently that Steve Balmer is preparing a massive shake-up of the company structure with a change in which divisions are responsible for what products and whether the divisions themselves should continue as is, merge with others, spilt off... Major changes are afoot in Redmond and these recent missteps by the XBox division probably didn't help Don Mattrick's decision.
__________________

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 15:00   Link #1783
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Him leaving doesn't magically solve all the issues that Xbox One is facing.
No, but lets face it. The Xboxone debut was a huge clusterfuck for Microsoft, and headquarters likely felt that SOMEBODY had to fall on their sword. And Don Mattrick visibly contributed to the clusterfuck on camera.


The Microsoft higher ups are probably feeling a bit vindictive towards Mattrick to, since he was likely sending all sorts of assurances prior to E3 that he had the situation under control. When you make those kind of assurances only for things to get mucked up, the higherups are seldom amused, nor likely to think very highly of your future promises to not screw up again.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 15:26   Link #1784
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
There have been rumors recently that Steve Balmer is preparing a massive shake-up of the company structure with a change in which divisions are responsible for what products and whether the divisions themselves should continue as is, merge with others, spilt off... Major changes are afoot in Redmond and these recent missteps by the XBox division probably didn't help Don Mattrick's decision.
Oddly enough, I was just talking to my mates about a rumor that Steve Ballmer might be replaced. Looks like that rumor might have some credibility if he is doing some major restructuring of the corporation and Don Mattrick probably took up Zynga's offer before Microsoft can replace him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
No, but lets face it. The Xboxone debut was a huge clusterfuck for Microsoft, and headquarters likely felt that SOMEBODY had to fall on their sword. And Don Mattrick visibly contributed to the clusterfuck on camera.


The Microsoft higher ups are probably feeling a bit vindictive towards Mattrick to, since he was likely sending all sorts of assurances prior to E3 that he had the situation under control. When you make those kind of assurances only for things to get mucked up, the higherups are seldom amused, nor likely to think very highly of your future promises to not screw up again.
Call me cynical but I think the higher ups (board of directors) probably took notice of the share price drop after E3 than the media coverage surrounding it. People that high up generally look at things very differently from normal people.

There is one good thing that may come from this though, a change in leadership may help rub off some of the terrible PR image Microsoft had assuming the successor doesn't have Bobby Kotick level of public image among the gaming community.
__________________
Jazzrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 15:36   Link #1785
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Call me cynical but I think the higher ups (board of directors) probably took notice of the share price drop after E3 than the media coverage surrounding it. People that high up generally look at things very differently from normal people.

There is one good thing that may come from this though, a change in leadership may help rub off some of the terrible PR image Microsoft had assuming the successor doesn't have Bobby Kotick level of public image among the gaming community.
Well yeah. Ultimately almost everything an executive can imagine that's bad can basically be simplified to "hurts stock price"

Though the fact the warning that things had gone wrong came from stock/media coverage certainly puts the games division leadership in a precarious position.


Hopefully Microsoft picks some more PR savvy individuals to take charge this time around. They certainly can't afford to bungle at this point.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 23:58   Link #1786
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Mattrick leaving Microsoft has been in play since April, so it has nothing to do with the Xbone fiasco. However, anyone who replaces him is going to try to fulfill the same vision that the console was designed for, so there shouldn't be any major changes unless Microsoft is forced to make them. The bigger question is what's going to come out of the reorganization taking place there right now. That will have a much bigger effect on policies and such.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-02, 03:35   Link #1787
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I'm more surprised someone at Zynga thought, "This kind of guy, this guy right here... this is what we need."
His track record with the 360 speaks for itself, it will be the #1 console of this gen in America, and already overtook the Wii in the UK.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-02, 07:50   Link #1788
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
His track record with the 360 speaks for itself, it will be the #1 console of this gen in America, and already overtook the Wii in the UK.
So in ther words he's good at expanding what's there, but utterly sucks at envisioning the next step? Guess that'd be good for a web-game based company.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-02, 21:50   Link #1789
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
While I think that Microsoft has made a lot of major mistakes with the Xbone, I wouldn't blame Mattrick all that much. Most of those problems stem from the Xbone's vision and media focus, and he wouldn't be the person who made that call. Sure he did a terrible job defending the product, but that was sort of an impossible task. I think that he can make quite a bit of difference at Zynga.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 07:32   Link #1790
Sakuranbo
Kitsune Spy
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Foxglove
Age: 30
I fear that all of the bad publicity and unwanted/unnecessary implementations done to the XBOX-1 will end Microsoft as a console company; if this happens then Sony will become complacent and could implement everything XB1 had intended to do concerning DRM and region lock.
Sakuranbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 07:35   Link #1791
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Moon that Wizard came from
Age: 25
Fortunately or Unfortunately, the Xbox fanbase are still strong in North America so they wouldn't fail that badly.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 07:45   Link #1792
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Fortunately or Unfortunately, the Xbox fanbase are still strong in North America so they wouldn't fail that badly.
This.

In the worst case scenario, the XB1 would still grab at least 40-45% of the US console market share.

If we assume an 85 million core-gamer base, that's 35 million, which is no small amount. And they'll sell 'decently' too in other countries, sufficient to bolster its install base further.

As much as the doom and gloom of the XB1 is paraded daily, for them to move 40-50 million units of XB1 shouldn't be difficult, and with that kind of install base, 3rd-party devs will still develop for both consoles, as both consoles will have an install base too large to be ignored.
__________________
Night~and~Gale: ~ The Final Mythology of the Man who Defied Destiny.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 08:25   Link #1793
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
While I think that Microsoft has made a lot of major mistakes with the Xbone, I wouldn't blame Mattrick all that much. Most of those problems stem from the Xbone's vision and media focus, and he wouldn't be the person who made that call. Sure he did a terrible job defending the product, but that was sort of an impossible task. I think that he can make quite a bit of difference at Zynga.
A lot of folks may not realized but Microsoft always had the vision of Xbox being the media center for the living room since the original Xbox. The war for the living room have been going on for quite awhile and it's not only the console maker but electronic appliance giant like LG & Samsung as well. The console is more often a trojan horse these days for Microsoft and Sony to bring in other business as well.

As for the blame, I think it's a bit of yes and no, Mattrick is the head of entertainment and it's his responsibility but corporate politics can often twist events beyond his control and who knows what's been going in within Microsoft itself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuranbo View Post
I fear that all of the bad publicity and unwanted/unnecessary implementations done to the XBOX-1 will end Microsoft as a console company; if this happens then Sony will become complacent and could implement everything XB1 had intended to do concerning DRM and region lock.
I wish more folks think like that but eh well, gaming community can be fanatical and crazy at times. I don't think Microsoft will be pulling out anytime soon barring a meltdown on their key profit maker. They already have a stranglehold on corporate market so they'll be continuing to expand on the consumer market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
This.

In the worst case scenario, the XB1 would still grab at least 40-45% of the US console market share.
I think that remains to be seen. It's not unheard of for products to snowball out of control in sales and stifle the competitors and we have seen that before during the NES and PS2 era. The mass consumer will generally go for the trending item and they present the bigger proportion slice of the gaming market.
__________________
Jazzrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 11:12   Link #1794
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuranbo View Post
I fear that all of the bad publicity and unwanted/unnecessary implementations done to the XBOX-1 will end Microsoft as a console company; if this happens then Sony will become complacent and could implement everything XB1 had intended to do concerning DRM and region lock.
Sony dominated during the PS2 era, and there still was more variety and experimentation and decent policies than than ever before. If they win out again this time around, let's hope that they can be benevolent overlords again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
This.

In the worst case scenario, the XB1 would still grab at least 40-45% of the US console market share.

If we assume an 85 million core-gamer base, that's 35 million, which is no small amount. And they'll sell 'decently' too in other countries, sufficient to bolster its install base further.

As much as the doom and gloom of the XB1 is paraded daily, for them to move 40-50 million units of XB1 shouldn't be difficult, and with that kind of install base, 3rd-party devs will still develop for both consoles, as both consoles will have an install base too large to be ignored.
I'd normally agree with you, but I'm hearing whispers that PS4 preorders are outselling Xbone ones by 4:1 in North America! If that kind of numbers hold true to sales for the first 6 months, then the Xbone will be in a position that's impossible to recover from. It won't be the first time that a brand has bombed - the Wii sold 60+ million units in North America, but the wii U is still under 1.5 million sold. The Xbone may still be able to pull in a casual audience (TV viewers, gadget fans), but that even that won't happen until it's at $299 or less.

If Microsoft wants those 40-50 million sales, they're going to have to fight for them, and rightfully so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
As for the blame, I think it's a bit of yes and no, Mattrick is the head of entertainment and it's his responsibility but corporate politics can often twist events beyond his control and who knows what's been going in within Microsoft itself.
It was and it wasn't. I think that positioning the Xbone the way it was is too big a call for Mattrick to make. The media features of the Xbone would cost Microsoft somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.5 billion to implement, as well as integration with the Windows division and so forth. The call would have to have come from Ballmer and the board of directors.

Where Mattrick misstepped was in misreading the sentiment around the Xbone. Microsoft really did think that gamers would come on board despite all the rumblings before E3. I don't think that Mattrick had enough authority to make the sweeping changes to enable the policy reversal though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
I think that remains to be seen. It's not unheard of for products to snowball out of control in sales and stifle the competitors and we have seen that before during the NES and PS2 era. The mass consumer will generally go for the trending item and they present the bigger proportion slice of the gaming market.
This is precisely why selling to early adopters and getting good press at launch is so important. Any impressions given off are likely to stick, and it takes a long time to win back lost customers.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 18:11   Link #1795
Veviticus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Australia
The biggest problem with the Wii U right now is the lack of first party games that most people go for such as zelda, mario kart and super smash bros. I for one am waiting for those to come out before picking up the console.
I think even if the Xbox One didn't do so well in the beginning, if it releases amazing exclusives and continues to do so, it could rival Sony Playstation again.
Veviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 21:53   Link #1796
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veviticus View Post
The biggest problem with the Wii U right now is the lack of first party games that most people go for such as zelda, mario kart and super smash bros. I for one am waiting for those to come out before picking up the console.
The biggest problem with the Wii U is that it's the wrong product at the wrong time. Even if all the games that you list come out and are well received, the console is still restricted largely to Nintendo fans. This does nothing to address the Wii U's problems with third parties and with a narrow audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veviticus View Post
I think even if the Xbox One didn't do so well in the beginning, if it releases amazing exclusives and continues to do so, it could rival Sony Playstation again.
When do you expect this to happen? Microsoft has already revealed most of their 2013-2014 exclusives; they may have a couple more to show, but it won't be very many. Outside of this, most of their studios would have releases in either 2014 or late 2013. If the average development time on a Xbone game is 2 years, there won't be very many exclusives in 2015 either. If the Xbone struggles all the way to this period, how can they recover? While buying up third party exclusives is viable right now, publishers wouldn't go for it if PS4 sales shoot above Xbone's.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 23:23   Link #1797
Slayerx
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
The biggest problem with the Wii U is that it's the wrong product at the wrong time. Even if all the games that you list come out and are well received, the console is still restricted largely to Nintendo fans. This does nothing to address the Wii U's problems with third parties and with a narrow audience.
Not sure if that's really something that drags the wii U down that much... i mean the the Wii was a huge seller and biggest drivers were first party games. Nintendo's games are serious system sellers. Really there are millions of gamers that will buy a nintendo consoles just for their first party games

Sure, their lack of third party support will handicap them and make it more difficult to come out on top, but their first party games alone can move tens of millions of consoles. And really, that's the major reason the Wii U has been suffering... it launched with none of their heavy hitters, and even this coming holiday season, a full year after release, their heavy hitting first party games STILL won't be ready. Its only when the likes of smash bro's, mario kart, and new 3D mario game, a new installment in the zelda series and so forth come out will the wii U start making a come back... it would also seriously help them if they get a price drop since one of the things that helpped wii sales was its low price point.

Quote:
When do you expect this to happen? Microsoft has already revealed most of their 2013-2014 exclusives; they may have a couple more to show, but it won't be very many. Outside of this, most of their studios would have releases in either 2014 or late 2013. If the average development time on a Xbone game is 2 years, there won't be very many exclusives in 2015 either. If the Xbone struggles all the way to this period, how can they recover? While buying up third party exclusives is viable right now, publishers wouldn't go for it if PS4 sales shoot above Xbone's.
There is really no way to tell what will come out in late 2014 and 2015. There are probably plenty of games that are being made right now (or have been in development for months) that have not been announced because the publishers feel its too soon or not enough content has been completed; its common practice for studios to be tight lipped about the games they are working on and won't announce them long after development has started; Heck most of the games that were announced this year that we never heard of before E3 were probably in the works for the past year or 2. Most likely, many of the games set to come out in 2014 have not been announced and those coming out in 2015 won't be announced until next year's E3
__________________
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 23:49   Link #1798
Reality_Breaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Puerto Rico
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Fortunately or Unfortunately, the Xbox fanbase are still strong in North America so they wouldn't fail that badly.
Well sure, the Skyne... Xbone is the primary console for FPS games, and we know how X-box fans love their CoDs and Halos.
Reality_Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 00:10   Link #1799
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Not sure if that's really something that drags the wii U down that much... i mean the the Wii was a huge seller and biggest drivers were first party games. Nintendo's games are serious system sellers. Really there are millions of gamers that will buy a nintendo consoles just for their first party games
The Gamecube sold about 24 million units worldwide, and it featured good price and performance compared to its rivals. The Wii U has neither of the latter two, so 24 million can be seen as a ceiling. Right now, it's trending below the Gamecube and it has no sales momentum whatsoever. I'm talking about ~25000 sales in Japan, 35000 sales in North America, and probably <20000 sales in Europe per month. On top of that, there's about 1,000,000 unsold units world wide and retailers have been very reluctant to stock or promote the consoles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Sure, their lack of third party support will handicap them and make it more difficult to come out on top, but their first party games alone can move tens of millions of consoles. And really, that's the major reason the Wii U has been suffering... it launched with none of their heavy hitters, and even this coming holiday season, a full year after release, their heavy hitting first party games STILL won't be ready. Its only when the likes of smash bro's, mario kart, and new 3D mario game, a new installment in the zelda series and so forth come out will the wii U start making a come back... it would also seriously help them if they get a price drop since one of the things that helpped wii sales was its low price point.
The thing that helped the Wii was that it caught on fire because of Wii Sports and the Wiimote. That ship has sailed and it's no longer a good indicator of what the Wii U can accomplish.

Before the heavy hitters arrive, the main audience of the Wii U are Nintendo fans. After they arrive, the main audience is still Nintendo fans. There will be little difference in the people who were interested in the platform before as opposed to after. They just more likely to pick up a Wii U (although chances are that they've already picked one up). Moreover, any impulse to buy a Wii U are going to have to be balanced with the interest of putting that $300-350 towards a PS4 or Xbone instead. I can see a doubling in sales YOY for the Wii U for January - June 2014, but that still leaves them with terrible sales. A $250 price point might be enough to put the Wii U on life support, but Nintendo will be bleeding money all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
There is really no way to tell what will come out in late 2014 and 2015. There are probably plenty of games that are being made right now (or have been in development for months) that have not been announced because the publishers feel its too soon or not enough content has been completed; its common practice for studios to be tight lipped about the games they are working on and won't announce them long after development has started; Heck most of the games that were announced this year that we never heard of before E3 were probably in the works for the past year or 2. Most likely, many of the games set to come out in 2014 have not been announced and those coming out in 2015 won't be announced until next year's E3
Going with the assumption that 3rd party exclusives are going to be rare in the next few years, we can limit this thought experiment to first party titles. Going by the claim of 15 exclusives published by Microsoft Game Studios within a year of launch, we already have a very clear picture of what that output is going to entail. The games shown at E3 account for 12 titles, so that leaves only three others; probably Fable, Crackdown, Gears of War, Allen Wake or a Kinect title or two.

With a 24-month development period, Microsoft will only have enough studios to make 6-8 games for 2015. The only real mystery is what they're going to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality_Breaker View Post
Well sure, the Skyne... Xbone is the primary console for FPS games, and we know how X-box fans love their CoDs and Halos.
Unfortunately for Microsoft, these gamers are less likely to be early adopters, so their sales will only show up in 2015 on.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 01:51   Link #1800
ArrowSmith
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
The Kinect v2 is the killer feature that will cause XB1 to win out in the end outside of Japan.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.