AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Old 2013-07-12, 11:19   Link #1881
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Is she only responsible for windows 8?
No, but she was a major figure in its development so she gets the bigger slice of the criticism than her subordinates.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-12, 13:29   Link #1882
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Actually, I take that back. I was wrong.
http://mashable.com/2012/11/13/who-i...-larson-green/

She was not the one who oversaw Windows 8, she was brought in to replace the guy who was fired for making Windows 8. So I no longer have an opinion one way or another about her.

(She IS the one who supported the Metro though. But since she wasn't the one who have the final say at the time, she doesn't get the blame.)
I see.

According to wikipedia, with the exception of office and windows 7 she's been appointed to a lot of "perpetually sinking ships," at least from my point of view.

Also +1 to everyone else's thoughts that "this is just raising the sexism invulnerability defense matrix," though yes she does seem qualified.
Old 2013-07-12, 14:21   Link #1883
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
I see.

According to wikipedia, with the exception of office and windows 7 she's been appointed to a lot of "perpetually sinking ships," at least from my point of view. :heh
By some matter of opinion, every recent MS project had been sinking ships. So the issue is trying to assign blame; If everything failed, does that mean no one is to blame?

The lack of success in the company as a whole, means I can't say Green is the direct cause of any of it. But a lack of recent accomplishments is worrying none the less.
Old 2013-07-12, 16:51   Link #1884
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone

Quote:
According to wikipedia, with the exception of office and windows 7 she's been appointed to a lot of "perpetually sinking ships," at least from my point of view.

Also +1 to everyone else's thoughts that "this is just raising the sexism invulnerability defense matrix," though yes she does seem qualified.
So... She's their 'Fixer' or something ? With sexism as an anti-critcism armor to boot
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-12, 17:25   Link #1885
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
So... She's their 'Fixer' or something ? With sexism as an anti-critcism armor to boot
That only makes sense if we have a mix of success and failures. The issue is the "One Microsoft" crazy idea they have.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/11/44...-one-microsoft
And the actual memo:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/...Microsoft.aspx
Quote:
After weeks of "major restructuring" rumors, Microsoft is confirming a company-wide reorganization on Thursday. In a large staff memo, Microsoft's CEO Steve Ballmer details how the company is aiming for a "One Microsoft," by altering its organization around the "devices and services" vision. The restructuring is massive and touches every corner of Microsoft, shifting its executives into different roles.
MS is combining the PC, Console and phone components together. Guess that means you are going to have phone OS in your PCs now.

But seriously. Phones and computers are NOT the same. If they are going to make them the same, the company is doomed for the next decade.

What with MS's recent obsession with combining things together? They combined their game console with a water dispensing machine, and now they want to combine their phones with their PCs? Isn't it enough they are combining Tablets and PCs?
Old 2013-07-12, 18:34   Link #1886
Reality_Breaker

Quote:
What with MS's recent obsession with combining things together? They combined their game console with a water dispensing machine, and now they want to combine their phones with their PCs? Isn't it enough they are combining Tablets and PCs?
My idea is someone over at Microsoft watched way too much DBZ one night and thought it was a good idea.

Last edited by Reality_Breaker; 2013-07-12 at 19:17.
Reality_Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-12, 18:42   Link #1887
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone

GATTAI ! tenchara
Old 2013-07-12, 19:04   Link #1888
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
That only makes sense if we have a mix of success and failures. The issue is the "One Microsoft" crazy idea they have.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/11/44...-one-microsoft
And the actual memo:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/...Microsoft.aspx

MS is combining the PC, Console and phone components together. Guess that means you are going to have phone OS in your PCs now.

But seriously. Phones and computers are NOT the same. If they are going to make them the same, the company is doomed for the next decade.

Except you already HAVE full blown operating systems in cellphones and consoles. The original XBox ran on a modified Windows 2000 base and the 360 is rumored to also run on a heavily modified Windows XP base (due to the different processor architecture). The One will almost certainly use the same Windows NT Kernel that is currently running Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 is already sharing that same kernel.

Also: the iPhone and iPad (iOS) use the same Darwin kernel as Mac OS X. The Playstation 3 and 4 are rumoured to be run on some sort of BSD derivative (FreeBSD possibly) which is a server OS.

So yeah, it's not really a crazy idea and it actually makes sense to try and combine all the operating system groups in one to share knowledge and code.

Also: Metro was designed from the beginning to target devices with low information densities like cellphones and tablets but televisions also fall under that same mantra curiously. Bigger interface elements are not only easier to target with fat fingers but also easier to see on a far away television set.

Windows 8 on a desktop or laptop may be a bit silly but on cellphones, tablets and television sets it actually works quite well. I for one welcome this move.

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-13, 02:55   Link #1889
saravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Also: Metro was designed from the beginning to target devices with low information densities like cellphones and tablets but televisions also fall under that same mantra curiously. Bigger interface elements are not only easier to target with fat fingers but also easier to see on a far away television set.

Windows 8 on a desktop or laptop may be a bit silly but on cellphones, tablets and television sets it actually works quite well. I for one welcome this move.
That's the issue though, Windows 8 was designed for touch devices, it was designed to the strengths of those devices. It was not designed to the strengths of PCs. Trying to release an OS for multiple devices whose functionality can differ greatly can run the risk of either building to the lowest common denominator or building to the strengths of a few and not to all. If they can demonstrate that they can properly cater to the strengths of all devices that they want to release an OS for, then fine, go for it. However, their most recent example, Windows 8, leaves me lacking confidence in them doing so.
Old 2013-07-16, 20:11   Link #1890
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone

Xbox One dev claims Kinect costs ‘almost as much’ as the console itself.

Well... Shit What the hell is in this thing?!
Old 2013-07-16, 20:40   Link #1891
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone

Forza 5 REQUIRES Internet Connection to download the rest of the game.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/...net-connection

Quote:
“So when you first boot up the game, we’re going to ask you to log in,” he explained. “And when you log in you’re going to get the Drivatars and you’re also going to get a whole bunch of content: tracks and cars. Our production schedule is such that we are putting them in as late as possible and that means making them free as downloadable content on Day One.

“We’re not making a launch game. We’re making Forza 5, at launch."

[But] that is required content to play the game. We basically have designed the game to work with all that content no matter how late is coming in, in order to make the biggest game possible.”

In other words, because games have to be submitted to Microsoft testing, certified, and then pressed onto discs and shipped, Forza 5 has to be done much, much sooner than November. By requiring part of the game as a download on launch day, it gives Turn 10 extra time to finish everything. And so what you get on the disc you buy at the store won’t be the entire game. You’ll need to download the rest of it from Xbox Live (which should be possible to occur as you play, Greenawalt clarified).
Quote:
After that, Greenawalt said, Forza 5 is like your refrigerator. “You have to fill it up with food the first time,” he explained. “And from then on, you connect whenever you want when you want to update your food. The Drivatars are as fresh as they are. It’s not like they’re going to degrade, but when you’re looking for new stuff – fresh stuff…it’s going to keep evolving. That’s the nature of this Drivatar system.”
Old 2013-07-16, 21:00   Link #1892
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

still needs an internet connection......
Old 2013-07-16, 21:02   Link #1893
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Forza 5 REQUIRES Internet Connection to download the rest of the game.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/...net-connection
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Well at least we know the bad stuff early right? Looks like some of the old stuff initially remove are still present. Just wondering what other games are like this on the Xbox 1?
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 21:06   Link #1894
saravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Of course, if the publishers can't push the console companies to push DRM on the consumers, the publishers will just push the DRM themselves as they've already been doing. Nothing new.
Old 2013-07-16, 21:09   Link #1895
GDB

Unless it requires a code to register, I don't think that's really that bad. Certainly isn't DRM as described, at least. Just means you have to log in to play that first time. You have to log in the first time you boot up the Bone for the same reason anyway.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 21:13   Link #1896
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Unless it requires a code to register, I don't think that's really that bad. Certainly isn't DRM as described, at least. Just means you have to log in to play that first time. You have to log in the first time you boot up the Bone for the same reason anyway.
It's log in, and download the rest of the game. It seems to be required content so it wouldn't work without it.

This is like day one DLC extreme- pay full price for half a game, and dl the other half later.
Old 2013-07-16, 21:19   Link #1897
GDB

But it's not like you're having to pay for the other half separately, and based purely on what was said merely having the disc will allow you to download the rest of the game. There's 0 DRM there, and it's not as bad as normal Day 1 DLC.

You can't even use the "no internet" argument, since as was said, if you have zero internet then you could use the Bone anyway since it requires an internet connection for the initial boot and setup.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 21:23   Link #1898
Veviticus

Quote:
Whaaaaat?!? Then Xbox One would have been a LOT cheaper than the PS4 if it wasn't mandatory.

An interesting article though. If microsoft did put a lot of money into making the kinect 2, they would have to somehow make that money back. Instead of showcasing amazing games that utilizes the kinect 2 (there might be some but I have yet to see any), they force it upon every Xbox One customers.

Have they given us a reason why the Xbox One needed the kinect to function?
Old 2013-07-16, 21:26   Link #1899
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
But it's not like you're having to pay for the other half separately, and based purely on what was said merely having the disc will allow you to download the rest of the game. There's 0 DRM there, and it's not as bad as normal Day 1 DLC.

You can't even use the "no internet" argument, since as was said, if you have zero internet then you could use the Bone anyway since it requires an internet connection for the initial boot and setup.
Yeah but you essentially just paid full price for half a game that can't be played.

It's an unnecessary step.

And even if the gamers have stable internet to dl, it's their servers that you should be worried about.

(Also, you're assuming the initial boot up and the purchase of the game are on the same, good internet day)
Old 2013-07-16, 21:40   Link #1900
Veviticus

The way I see it, Forza 5 is just coming out incomplete, and over time they'll be adding more content until the game is complete. So if you purchase the game, you won't be expected to download 10gb+ worth of content right away. And it will work with just the content already on the disc. Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense to put half the game on the internet to download when they could have put it all on the disc to begin with.

So think of Forza 5 as a demo you purchase that becomes the full game in the next few months or year