AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2015-10-04, 05:49   Link #1
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone

Send a message via MSN to Liddo-kun
DDR 2 Question

Hello. My previous pc broke down a few days ago. And I bought a new one. Old PC had an ASUS motherboard that has a single 4gb DDR 3, and was super fast (for my needs at least). Now my new pc has a SAMSUNG motherboard that only has 2 pieces of 1GB DDR2, they feel too slow for the tasks that I need.

Today, I approached the people where I bought new pc. They said that they don't have DDR 2 larger than 1GB, but I could buy a 4GB DDR 2 from the stores at a nearby mall - but it has to be the same "frequency" as the 1GB that I already have, so that I could use the 4GB with one of the 1 GB.

Question:

Can I just take one of the 1GB DDR2 to the stores at the mall, show it the people there, then they would know what frequency of 4GB DDR2 to give me?

Thanks for any help. )
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 08:20   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I doubt anyone at a mall has the expertise to help you. Memory manufacturers have tools on their websites to identify the range of modules that match your hardware. I'd start with Crucial: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/homepage

Once you know what to buy, I'd use an online distributor like NewEgg. They also have a tool in case the one at Crucial doesn't work for you somehow.
Old 2015-10-04, 08:24   Link #3
IceHism

How did you buy a new PC with ddr2 ram. Wtf? That sounds like the biggest rip off I've ever heard. You would probably get better performance on a computer with Intel atom. And when did Samsung make motherboards?

Anyways, if you get the 4gb ram, the frequency will downgrade. You don't need to worry about it not working. Basically if you buy 1600 for the 4gb when your 1 GB is 1333, the 4gb will downgrade to 1333.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 08:45   Link #4
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone

@Seljie

Ok, I'll check out the site. /thanks

@IceHism

I got it from a store sale. They have at least 5 pc's, probably old stock on sale.. I'm very low on extra cash, was not able to attend an anime convention today due to money being low. So in regards to new pc, I had to go with "beggars can't be choosers" route. xD

Anyway, this new pc is doing fine in everything else except for speed issues on RAM. Oh, that's a nice bit of info. I have another question then.. if the 4GB downgrades to match the 1GB, is that good or bad? Would it be better if I just use the 4GB alone, so that it would not downgrade? /thanks
Old 2015-10-04, 09:21   Link #5
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
@Seljie

Ok, I'll check out the site. /thanks

@IceHism

I got it from a store sale. They have at least 5 pc's, probably old stock on sale.. I'm very low on extra cash, was not able to attend an anime convention today due to money being low. So in regards to new pc, I had to go with "beggars can't be choosers" route. xD

Anyway, this new pc is doing fine in everything else except for speed issues on RAM. Oh, that's a nice bit of info. I have another question then.. if the 4GB downgrades to match the 1GB, is that good or bad? Would it be better if I just use the 4GB alone, so that it would not downgrade? /thanks
First thing first, identify whether your PC is 64 bit or not. If it's not, then it can't use more than 4gb of ram regardless.

Well, that depends on the CAS latency on the ram as well so if you could tell me that, I could make a better conclusion for you.
You can use something like cpu-z to find out

I don't even know what your current latency is but I'd imagine that you are mostly limited by ddr2 instead of the frequency/latency so I would suggest using the 1gb and the 4gb togethrr as memory speed isn't very significant at all unless you are making a top of the line pc.
Old 2015-10-04, 09:32   Link #6
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone

Checked system information. It's x86-based PC, so I guess it's 32 bit.

Sorry, don't know how to check latency.

Well, I only want the pc to be able to convert videos faster with Xvid4PsP. On old pc with 4gb DDR3 RAM it takes approximately 20 min to convert a 200 mb MKV anime episode to Xvid format (I convert the videos to be able to watch anime on portable dvd player at work). This time with new pc - it takes more than 2 hrs to convert.. Hmm, it's probably not possible to match the speed of the old pc since it's a 64 bit with DDR 3, but if I could make this new pc a little bit faster by buying a 4gb DDR2, then I would buy one.
Old 2015-10-04, 09:34   Link #7
IceHism

Quote:
Checked system information. It's x86-based PC, so I guess it's 32 bit.

Sorry, don't know how to check latency.

Well, I only want the pc to be able to convert videos faster with Xvid4PsP. On old pc with 4gb DDR3 RAM it takes approximately 20 min to convert a 200 mb episode, this time with new pc - it takes more than 2 hrs to convert.. Well, it's probably not possible to match the speed of the old pc since it's a 64 bit with DDR 3, but if I could make this new pc a little bit faster by buying a 4gb DDR2, then I would buy one.
Then don't worry about it.

You're not converting fast enough because your CPU is not as fast as the old PC. that task has nothing to do with memory or what bit your operating system is
Old 2015-10-04, 09:58   Link #8
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone

Ok, thanks a lot.

Cash saved. Not going to buy some new RAM anymore.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2015-10-04 at 10:08.
Old 2015-10-04, 11:08   Link #9
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix Send a message via Skype™ to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Anyways, if you get the 4gb ram, the frequency will downgrade. You don't need to worry about it not working. Basically if you buy 1600 for the 4gb when your 1 GB is 1333, the 4gb will downgrade to 1333.
DDR2 only went as high as 800Mhz, and as far as I know there weren't any 4GB modules available at all since when it became available (if I remember correctly) 64-bit processors were only just starting to become available so there wasn't any need for high capacity modules, and even now if you wanted 4GB of DDR2 RAM you can only get it in a pair of 2GB modules (if you only ever used one module, you'd only get half the speed).

As for actually buying a new PC, I'd suggest that if you have a budget you should just buy it in bits as it's normally a bit cheaper then buying some pre-built box.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 12:08   Link #10
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
DDR2 only went as high as 800Mhz, and as far as I know there weren't any 4GB modules available at all since when it became available (if I remember correctly) 64-bit processors were only just starting to become available so there wasn't any need for high capacity modules, and even now if you wanted 4GB of DDR2 RAM you can only get it in a pair of 2GB modules (if you only ever used one module, you'd only get half the speed).

As for actually buying a new PC, I'd suggest that if you have a budget you should just buy it in bits as it's normally a bit cheaper then buying some pre-built box.
Probably. Mines was just an example scenario

I honestly wonder how much this new machine costs. I could easily build a good one for 300-400 USD.
Old 2015-10-04, 19:11   Link #11
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone

@Demonix

Oh, I see.. thanks for the info. Hmm, should ask for two 2gb DDR2 if I would decide to upgrade this poor pc. >__<

@Icehism

It cost me 2900 philippine pesos, that's approximately 62 USD and a few cents. >__<

Well, I could do other things normally, like writing about anime conventions and posting pics of cos friends with this PC. The only discomfort is conversion of videos taking longer - would just adapt to that by leaving the PC on for the night converting a video (while also having it download batches of anime xD).

Would upgrade to a better pc when I have the cash. )
Old 2015-10-04, 20:54   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
I convert the videos to be able to watch anime on portable dvd player at work.
If you have a decent Android phone, you can use MXPlayer.
Old 2015-10-05, 10:37   Link #13
demonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
I could easily build a good one for 300-400 USD.
I'm planning on building two new computers (one for basic work and games that don't require that much graphics power, and one for higher end gaming) and the total cost of all the parts is 325 but that includes an SSD drive for the OS and a third party cooler so it could go as low as 250 if I took them out (however adding the OS if it was required and a keyboard, mouse and monitor would take it well over my original cost) which would be around what you could build one for

Quote:
@Demonix

Oh, I see.. thanks for the info. Hmm, should ask for two 2gb DDR2 if I would decide to upgrade this poor pc. >__<
That would do, but you have to remember the 32-bit operating systems can't index 4GB of RAM fully (you'll only see around 3.75GB or there abouts, but if the computer uses on board graphics and not a dedicated card then depending on how much of the RAM is allocated towards the graphics then it might be a moot point).
Old 2015-10-06, 07:30   Link #14
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone

I ran Speccy.

Here's the comp I'm using.. placed in spoiler to save space..

CPU
Spoiler:

Motherboard
Spoiler:

RAM
Spoiler:

I plan to buy a video card for it next month. ^^
Old 2015-10-06, 10:09   Link #15
demonix

The processor is 64-bit, but it is likely that a 32-bit OS has been installed on it so if you go to a 64-bit OS you shouldn't have any issues with having 4GB of RAM, and from the looks of the information you have mid range RAM installed although to get the best out of it (as long as you have two modules) they should be placed in matching coloured slots (if the motherboard has 4 RAM slots, 2 of the slots should be in one colour and the other two in another and if you have two RAM modules placing them in the same coloured slots will mean if the RAM supports it it will run in dual channel mode and not single channel mode).

Also you should check the motherboard as I know that some socket 775 motherboards had an AGP slot and not a PCI-E slot and AGP graphics cards are no longer available new and you would probably have to find a used card.
Old 2015-10-06, 10:32   Link #16
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone

Oh, thanks for the info. Yes, I have a 32-bit Windows 7.
Hmm, 64 bit processor? Does that mean I could upgrade later to 64 bit Windows 8 just like my old pc?

And what do you mean by mid-range RAM? Sorry, not really an expert on these things.

The shop where I bought the PC already offered to sell me a video card. They have a whole bunch of them at 1400 pesos each (approx 20 dollars). I just didn't have the extra money to buy one right there - but I would take my pc back to their shop next month to get a video card installed.

My board only has 2 RAM slots, unfortunately. >.<
Old 2015-10-07, 06:17   Link #17
demonix

If you want to upgrade to the 64-bit version of windows 8, you have to first replace the 32-bit version of windows 7 you have with the 64-bit as the upgrade will only replace like with like so you'll only have a 32-bit version of windows 8 (you can download an untouched disc image of windows 7 64-bit from the web and use that without having any problems with the key since they can be used with either variant).

DDR2 RAM normally comes in three variants 400Mhz, 667Mhz and 800Mhz so when I said mid range, I meant that is was 667Mhz DDR2 RAM and as for the board, even though it only has two slots it does appear to be running in dual channel mode (since you'll be getting two RAM modules it will still run in dual channel mode).
Old 2015-10-09, 06:12   Link #18
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone

Ok, I'll follow what you said on upgrading to 64 bit. Hmm, this thread has been very helpful to me. Thanks again. )

Though I'll have to finish some typing jobs first before attempting any OS upgrades, already behind schedule on some works.