AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Old 2014-05-23, 20:21   Link #1
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Specific request for particular male/female character relationship.

I'm thinking of a narrative where the male lead and female lead are good friends, and it could be considered a "bromance" if she was a guy. Their relationship can become romantic later on, but it should be strictly platonic for a good stretch of time. Their relationship should be a big part of the narrative.

Any character types or genres are fine, but bonus points if...

1) The female lead is not a tsundere (mainly since this tends to give a romantic vibe).

2) The female lead is a genki girl and/or a tomboy.

3) The anime's primary genre is not comedy.

4) The anime is seinen or josei. In other words, the show is aimed at adults.

This is partly an experiment. I'm honestly wondering how close the anime world has come to hitting such a show perfectly. I've seen a few male/female duos in anime that can come close to this, but most have a romantic edge to it and/or shift to full-fledged romance fairly quickly.

Think of Valvrave's Haruto and Shouko but with much less romantic implications.The male lead/female lead of Robotics;Notes also comes fairly close to what I'm thinking of here.
Old 2014-05-23, 21:56   Link #2
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
If you haven't seen it, then I would 100% suggest Spice & Wolf (both seasons) I don't think any series will come close to what you're asking for compared to it as it starts this way and focuses greatly on their bond, friendship, and time together.

Other suggestions I feel might not fit quite as well.
Seirei no Moribito, though might not be enough focus on the two's relationship given the narrative and way it's story is done.
Log Horizon, I felt it fits this, though the female lead is arguably abit on the tsundere side.
Old 2014-05-23, 23:09   Link #3
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Do you have a MAL or something where we can see what anime you already watched?
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-24, 00:04   Link #4
frubam
singing heartbreak

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I KNOW it says anime, so you may take my suggestion with a grain of salt, but the manwha Ties of Compassion fits this description perfectly. There is no romance between the two mains tc the fact that their feelings for one another can't be defined in the same context as 'romance'(can't really explain it too well =0( ), though I'm not sure if its slice-of-life style, setting, and[other] characters will suit your tastes.

Last edited by frubam; 2014-05-24 at 09:25.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-24, 07:38   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

First, I'll break the "no comedies" restriction and suggest Oh! Edo Rocket. While a comedy, the major themes in Nakashima's story -- political repression and arms races -- are certainly unfunny. Otherwise it meets all your requirements. The relationship between Seikichi and Sora has romantic overtones, but they largely remain sidekicks throughout the story.

The link takes you to the Funimation version on Hulu. If you can dig up the original Shinsen subs, I suggest watching those. The Funi version is more "localized" for Western audiences, while Shinsen's translator, "Tom and Jerry," provided a more literal translation with notes for arcane Japanese references.

Another possibility might be Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo. Ryoko isn't really a tomboy; she's much too glamorous for that. Otherwise it has most of the features you're seeking. Ryoko would like to bed her subordinate, but he's either too dense or too cagey to succumb. Most of the time it plays out as a "buddy cop" show.
Old 2014-05-24, 09:05   Link #6
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

Another possibility might be Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo. Ryoko isn't really a tomboy; she's much too glamorous for that. Otherwise it has most of the features you're seeking. Ryoko would like to bed her subordinate, but he's either too dense or too cagey to succumb. Most of the time it plays out as a "buddy cop" show.
Wow, an AnimeSuki torrent that still exists. That's more impressive than what I asked for.

Still, just going by a Google search and your description of this show, it looks interesting. Thanks!

And thanks to everyone for their recommendations. I already checked out a couple episodes of Log Horizon, and it does look like it might fit well, Kona.

If I ever get around to up-dating my MAL, I'll link to it here.

And manga/manwha recommendations are fine for something this precise.
Old 2014-05-24, 09:06   Link #7
itisjustme

Kingdom, Cowboy Beebop, Psycho Pass,Welcome to the NHK (?), Black Lagoon (Not really a bromance though), Gintama (Purely comedy), One Piece (pure shounen), Gundam 00 (but female lead isn't very prominent and they don't have much shared time screen), Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex? (but there's no real male lead to speak of).

Your premise is a little unfair though since if there's a male lead and female lead, especially if they're both single and share a lot of screentime, there's an automatic assumption of romantic potential even by the viewers. That's not really specific to anime but rather common in all fiction/entertainment types. I don't even believe in true platonic relationship between male and female to begin with usually. :P
itisjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-24, 09:23   Link #8
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm thinking of a narrative where the male lead and female lead are good friends, and it could be considered a "bromance" if she was a guy. Their relationship can become romantic later on, but it should be strictly platonic for a good stretch of time. Their relationship should be a big part of the narrative.

Any character types or genres are fine, but bonus points if...

1) The female lead is not a tsundere (mainly since this tends to give a romantic vibe).

2) The female lead is a genki girl and/or a tomboy.

3) The anime's primary genre is not comedy.

4) The anime is seinen or josei. In other words, the show is aimed at adults.

This is partly an experiment. I'm honestly wondering how close the anime world has come to hitting such a show perfectly. I've seen a few male/female duos in anime that can come close to this, but most have a romantic edge to it and/or shift to full-fledged romance fairly quickly.

Think of Valvrave's Haruto and Shouko but with much less romantic implications.The male lead/female lead of Robotics;Notes also comes fairly close to what I'm thinking of here.

Hmmm... Chrono Crusade is the one that comes to mind. Rosette is a genki girl and a bit of a tomboy. The genre is primarily action adventure, although comedy does play a part. Their relationship is platonic (although the shippers of course see other wise), and the relationship is a big part of the story.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-24, 13:38   Link #9
Haak
Forever Alone...

Have you seen Bleach by any chance? The first arc (17 episodes) pretty much has this in spades between the main male lead and the main female lead and I consider it a classic. You don't need to bother watching the rest of the show though. It all goes steadily downhill from there.
  • The female lead isn't a tsundere but she does give that kinda vibe.
  • The female lead is tomboyish.
  • It's not the primary genre but there is a fair bit of comedy. It's an action/urban fantasy.
  • It's a shonen manga adaptation.

I also recommend Xam'd Lost Memories. The main lead and the female lead's relationship remain platonic right up to the end.
  • The female lead isn't tsundere.
  • The female lead is quite tomboyish.
  • There's hardly any comedy. It's a fantasy that's pretty hard on the drama.
  • It's BONES.

The only other one I can think of is Ikoku Meiro no Croisee, but that features a more master-apprentice relationship than a bromance.
  • The female lead isn't a tsundere
  • The female lead is a pretty straight Yamato Nadeshiko.
  • It's a lighthearted slice of life and when I mean light hearted I mean even the comedy is pretty light (Kinda like Tari Tari)
  • It's a shonen manga adaptation but it sure doesn't feel that way.

[EDIT]

Oh, I forgot that Birdy: Decode has this as well. Have you seen it yet?

Last edited by Haak; 2014-05-24 at 13:52.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-24, 18:50   Link #10
Tenzen12

I second to Birdy (that one is exactly what you want) and Black Lagoon

Moyashimon and XXXholic These two fit a best.
Gingitsune - might also work I think it even had tag seinen.

Folowing not that much
Wagaya no Oinarisama - not seinen, but heroine is best bro girl around
Pumpkin scissors - it is from shonen magazine (manga recommended over anime)
Imortal grand prix - not exactly tsundere, but very very very close, but it plays a bit different.

If you don't mind manga
Break Blade - Rygart get some nice moments (non-romantic) with Narvi
Ore ga Doutei wo Sutetara Shinu Ken ni Tsuite - bit a weird example
Molester man - and Onani master Kurosawa

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2014-05-24 at 19:04.
Tenzen12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-24, 20:08   Link #11
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions. Most of these shows I haven't even heard of, so that's pretty exciting.

Haak, I PMed you on your Birdy Decode suggestion, as there's something I could use some help with there. It'll be truly awesome if that actually fits both what I'm looking for here and the Superman-esque one.

Oh, and yeah, I watched Bleach. It does fit this pretty well.
Old 2014-05-24, 21:43   Link #12
Last Sinner
Screw The Rules

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Hanasakeru Seishounen from 2009 may come close to what you're looking for.

Rose of Versailles may as well but that's from 1979 - not sure whether you'd want to go that far back.

Garden of Sinners would have been my other suggestion but I'm fairly sure you've seen it.
Old 2014-05-25, 00:33   Link #13
Tempester
AS's "Love Live!" Fanatic

I don't have any recommendations since I've seen very few anime/manga that fit your criteria (most of the closest examples I can think of are yuri ). However, I'm willing to bet that this is one of the things that you enjoyed about Little Busters, because it describes the relationships between Riki and the girls quite well.
- - - - -
Recently completed anime:
Zettai Shougeki: Platonic Heart
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (1993 OVA)
Girls und Panzer: Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-sen Desu!
Sakura Trick
Love Live! School Idol Project 2nd Season
Selector Infected WIXOSS
Tempester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 15:17   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm going to toss Ergo Proxy onto the list. Vincent does have feelings for Re'l, but there's little romance in their relationship. My daughter says Re'l doesn't match the "genki/tomboy" requirement, but I don't think that matters here. Ergo Proxy certainly does meet the requirements that there be a male/female pairing with little romance, that it not be a comedy, and that the story targets mature viewers.