AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2015-02-15, 21:01   Link #1
LoweGear
Kuso Teitoku
*Graphic Designer

[PC] Homeworld: Remastered Collection

So I tried searching for an existing thread, and oddly there wasn't one.

Only a week and 2 days till the release of Homeworld: Remastered Collection, which is the collection with Homeworld 1 and Homeworld 2 with overhauled graphics and sound to bring them up to modern spec. And from I'm seeing, it's very beautiful:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
YouTube
YouTube

Now I was one of those people who wanted to play Homeworld back then but couldn't due to lack of funds and a system to run it, and by the time I got both time and gaming had moved on. Seeing this being remastered for newer systems though made me pre-order it just now, see how the gameplay holds up after all these years. And I've been itching for a good space RTS for a while now.

On Sickness: "Like someone filled my journal with junk data and then set it to defragment and gave me the lowest priority possible."

Last edited by LoweGear; 2015-02-20 at 22:40.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-16, 02:30   Link #2
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I probably wont buy it since i already played both and Cataclysm but if you haven't tried Homeworld before, i highly recommend this game. It's probably one of the only if not the few RTS games that make use of the z-axis in 3D space.

Beyond that, it has a pretty good story and excellent sound track. Gameplay wise might be hit or miss with people since it's eschew the traditional RTS base building in favor of a permanent fleet that you carry over from mission to mission.
Old 2015-02-16, 04:39   Link #3
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

Watched a 30 odd minute gameplay footage of this and it looked phenomenal. Loved this game so much back when it first came out. I'd say it was the first game to get a legit emotional response from me (if you've played the game you know what I'm talking about). Everything about it was top notch (Voice and Soundtrack especially for me), and its gameplay was ahead of its time.

Last edited by Mr Hat and Clogs; 2015-02-16 at 04:53.
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-16, 06:50   Link #4
RWBladewing

Fond memories of stealing every single enemy Battlecruiser in the game with Salvage Corvettes. Why build your own when you can just take theirs off the battlefield and make it yours for a fraction of the cost? I'm actually kinda glad they nerfed this for 2 because it was insanely OP. Seeing the enemy field their strongest units should make you say "oh crap", not "yes more free stuff for me!", haha.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-16, 07:41   Link #5
Velsy

I've looked at the steam page of it. Is $35 really justified for a game that came out around the year 2000? maybe earlier ? Just for HD ? Any other improvements added to the game?

Plus, when reading the about the Heros of might and magic 3 HD remake, can you really trust all the content will be there ? :s

Just some questions I get when I look at all these HD remakes lately <.<

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-16, 07:52   Link #6
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
I've looked at the steam page of it. Is $35 really justified for a game that came out around the year 2000? maybe earlier ? Just for HD ? Any other improvements added to the game?

Plus, when reading the about the Heros of might and magic 3 HD remake, can you really trust all the content will be there ? :s

Apparently, they re-recorded all of Karan S'jet's lines in HW2 Remastered so she now has the same VA as in HW1/Cataclysm.

Unfortunately they couldn't make Homeworld Cataclysm Remastered because Cataclysm's source code was lost forever when Barking Dog got closed down about 3 years ago (though they hadn't been called that since 2002, when they became Rockstar Vancouver).
Old 2015-02-16, 08:07   Link #7
SineMora
Wait for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
So I tried searching for an existing thread, and oddly there wasn't one.

Only a week and 2 days till the release of Homeworld: Remastered Collection, which is the collection with Homeworld 1 and Homeworld 2 with overhauled graphics and sound to bring them up to modern spec. And from I'm seeing, it's very beautiful:

YouTube
YouTube

Now I was one of those people who wanted to play Homeworld back then but couldn't due to lack of funds and a system to run it, and by the time I got both time and gaming had moved on. Seeing this being remastered for newer systems though made me pre-order it just now, see how the gameplay holds up after all these years. And I've been itching for a good space RTS for a while now.
Homeworld is different to many other RTS, unlike Starcraft/Red Alert etc... Homeworld is slow, some might find it bad, but it rewards patience and well thought out strategies rather than rapid responses to crisis.

Not to mention it's very atmospheric, and the plot... oh god the plot... It makes me feel proud to have served in the Mothership/Pride of Hiigara.

Karan S'jet: "No one is left, Kharak is burning"
Me: *trying to hold tears*
Fleet Command: "The escaped cryotrays are under attack."
Me: KILL THOSE BASTARDS! NO CRYOTRAY MUST BE DESTROYED, THIS IS NOT JUST AN ORDER, THIS IS A DIRECTIVE! MOVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBladewing View Post
Fond memories of stealing every single enemy Battlecruiser in the game with Salvage Corvettes. Why build your own when you can just take theirs off the battlefield and make it yours for a fraction of the cost? I'm actually kinda glad they nerfed this for 2 because it was insanely OP. Seeing the enemy field their strongest units should make you say "oh crap", not "yes more free stuff for me!", haha.
And oh yes, the bliss of stealing ships from your enemies... Even when nerfed, I still do it with Marine Frigates.

"Time is more gentle than anything. Even though the two of them will lose this once in a year opportunity to meet, that sadness will heal as time passes. However time is also more cruel than any other, even though the two lovers have pledged their love for all eternity, that pure emotion will fade away into dust in the flow of time. That one instant where their existence are recognized by each other are being constantly taken away by fate, just how long will the lover that resides in their heart exist till?" -Tokisaki Kurumi.

Last edited by SineMora; 2015-02-16 at 08:22.
SineMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-16, 08:20   Link #8
Tiberium Wolf

What are the min system specs for this remastered version?

My PC too old... 8 year old T_T
Old 2015-02-16, 08:25   Link #9
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post

If you have not played it before, i think it's well worth the money to get this. Despite being an old game, the gameplay system ages pretty well and have most of the modern RTS hook. Also it's 2 full fleshed game in one so i think that's a really good price.

But otherwise, just wait for it to come out first and for people to do indepth comparison and analysis of the final product before forking out your money. It's only coming out 25 feb i think?

Here's video of Gamespot's press copy if you want to see the game first. There's definitely upgrade of the textures and UI got cleaned up a bit.

Old 2015-02-16, 11:23   Link #10
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Unfortunately they couldn't make Homeworld Cataclysm Remastered because Cataclysm's source code was lost forever when Barking Dog got closed down about 3 years ago (though they hadn't been called that since 2002, when they became Rockstar Vancouver).
So I have to wonder... since copies of Cataclysm are probably still out there in abandonware repositories, etc. how difficult would it be to reverse-engineer one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SineMora View Post
Homeworld is different to many other RTS, unlike Starcraft/Red Alert etc... Homeworld is slow, some might find it bad, but it rewards patience and well thought out strategies rather than rapid responses to crisis.
And yes, the pacing makes complete sense given the setting and focus... and I still wonder why the Z-axis is so criminally underused in the genre.

Quote:
Not to mention it's very atmospheric, and the plot... oh god the plot... It makes me feel proud to have served in the Mothership/Pride of Hiigara.
Yes, they definitely nailed it here. The music helps, too.

Quote:
And oh yes, the bliss of stealing ships from your enemies... Even when nerfed, I still do it with Marine Frigates.
Not so much 'nerfed' per se, but it's a matter of the Vaygr making extensive use of hard-hitting missiles (where only one capital ship class does so in the first game). That said, the BBs might actually be easier to appropriate than the DDs, given that their missile tubes can be suppressed.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-16, 15:32   Link #11
Sacredus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
What are the min system specs for this remastered version?

My PC too old... 8 year old T_T
Strange, there's no minimal requirements on Steam... Either way, I have to old PC for this
Sacredus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-16, 18:15   Link #12
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Going to wait a few months for the in-depth reports to come in. Going by experience, these remastered versions take time to straighten themselves out, if they could at all. Even the best example, AOE2, had to go through a few versions before it was really worth it.

Although, I'm very fortunate in a sense that I have never played the original Homeworld. I've heard for more than a decade nothing but praise from every possible quarter -- this is one game I expect to live up to its legendary status.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-16, 19:00   Link #13
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

I was quite excited when I first heard about this (even though I still have my original 2 boxed games) but then I seen gearbox was involved and then promptly thought "noooooope".

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-16, 21:54   Link #14
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

Quote:
Only problem with that was the enemy scaling to match, and exceed your numbers. It could make some missions literally impossible if your fleet was too big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Oh god that was painful to watch.

Watch this instead. They go into detail about the game.
YouTube

Last edited by Mr Hat and Clogs; 2015-02-16 at 22:16.
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-17, 07:18   Link #15
SineMora
Wait for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
And yes, the pacing makes complete sense given the setting and focus... and I still wonder why the Z-axis is so criminally underused in the genre.
Same here, I'm still using 2d, but it's "Spiritual Sequel": Ancient Space finally gets it right: They put obstacles that block the z axis as well: giving you more tactical options.

Quote:
Yes, they definitely nailed it here. The music helps, too.
Adagio on Strings and Agnus Dei.

Quote:
Not so much 'nerfed' per se, but it's a matter of the Vaygr making extensive use of hard-hitting missiles (where only one capital ship class does so in the first game). That said, the BBs might actually be easier to appropriate than the DDs, given that their missile tubes can be suppressed.
Vaygr are good at one thing: Specialization, opposite of Hiigara which is Generalization.

Vaygr are good at doing what their ships are supposed to do, Hiigara are good in making a single ship adjust to different situations.

"Time is more gentle than anything. Even though the two of them will lose this once in a year opportunity to meet, that sadness will heal as time passes. However time is also more cruel than any other, even though the two lovers have pledged their love for all eternity, that pure emotion will fade away into dust in the flow of time. That one instant where their existence are recognized by each other are being constantly taken away by fate, just how long will the lover that resides in their heart exist till?" -Tokisaki Kurumi.
SineMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-17, 07:27   Link #16
RWBladewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Only problem with that was the enemy scaling to match, and exceed your numbers. It could make some missions literally impossible if your fleet was too big.
I'm pretty sure that was in 2 only, as I very vividly remember having a downright monstrous sized fleet in 1 with more capital ships than the enemy had fighter squadrons and not losing a single one in the final battle due to how fast I killed everything.
Old 2015-02-17, 07:35   Link #17
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

It could have been, it's been a terribly long time since I've played it. I think HW1 had it, but it wasn't as... insane as in HW2. That and captured ships didn't count towards your unit cap in HW1, where as they did in HW2. I'm curious if they fixed that for remastered in HW1.
Old 2015-02-17, 08:16   Link #18
RWBladewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
That and captured ships didn't count towards your unit cap in HW1, where as they did in HW2. I'm curious if they fixed that for remastered in HW1.
I think they counted towards the cap number, but the cap itself only prevented you from building any more, so you could just keep capturing to go as far over the cap as you wanted. But anyway yeah, this was the number one thing that broke HW1 and the change to it in HW2 was the nerf I'd previously mentioned. By the end of the game my fleet just looked like a recolored version of the enemy fleet. I had more of their ships than they did. And a whole bunch of those crazy quad-ion spinny ships from those nebula stages. Still surprised they let you capture those haha.
Old 2015-02-17, 10:17   Link #19
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

I vaguely remember those.
Old 2015-02-17, 10:31   Link #20
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by SineMora View Post
Adagio on Strings and Agnus Dei.
The latter is also used to very good effect as the BGM for the final mission in Ace Combat 4.

Quote:
Vaygr are good at one thing: Specialization, opposite of Hiigara which is Generalization.

Vaygr are good at doing what their ships are supposed to do, Hiigara are good in making a single ship adjust to different situations.
This means that adequate scouting takes on a special significance for Vaygr players: building lots of laser corvettes and lance fighters in the belief that the Hiigarans are going for a 'vette rush can be... bad if the attacking force instead turns out to be frigate-heavy.

What I was referring to was not so much this as the fact that Vaygr missiles (missile frigate, destroyer, battleship) do bad things to frigate-class hulls... and (as one should expect) have engagement spheres, not arcs.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that was in 2 only, as I very vividly remember having a downright monstrous sized fleet in 1 with more capital ships than the enemy had fighter squadrons and not losing a single one in the final battle due to how fast I killed everything.
Well, no less a luminary as Sun Tzu did state that a bushel of the enemy's provisions is easily worth twenty of your own (a principle which also applies in Command & Conquer games and even Star Trek: Armada). And of course Bridge of Sighs (the third-to-last mission) is well-known for being the place to stock up on ion cannon frigates.

Quote:
And a whole bunch of those crazy quad-ion spinny ships from those nebula stages. Still surprised they let you capture those haha.
Ah, the Kadeshi multi-beam frigates, often referred to as (appropriately) Dervishes. Such a shame there is no option to reverse-engineer them and make your own (which happens with Movers in HW2).
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote