AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 28 46.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 26.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 1.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-02-24, 00:21   Link #101
sonagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by roon View Post

They split up from him so he could announce the warning and play the 'going home' record. The black and white shots were of the past, the song helping evoke memories of a once idyllic life, deeply contrasted with the shots of the destruction at present time. Also, I got the impression that the song looped when it shouldn't have, which records can't do on their own, thus how they knew Niimi died as the music ended abruptly. (On this note, I'm pretty sure you can't loop that part of the song so cleanly, but maybe powers help )
@roon ... Ahh!! .. thank you thank you I just re-watched this sequence and now I get it. You're right .. the black-and-white stills represent the once-peaceful past and the color frames are the present. When Satoru said that Niimi-San escaped, he meant to fulfill his last mission to Tomiko-San but when Saki said that "Niimi-San is still ...", she meant that he's still out there, or openly vulnerable to attack. And as you said, the music does cut out abruptly to signify Niimi-San's death before we see him pretty much bidding farewell.

On a separate note, I've been reading some previous threads about how this series touches on themes of democracy but I actually think this novel is a social commentary on communism.

The idea of districts, communal living, propaganda, brainwashing, etc. all reeks of communism. not to mention the original marxist concept of squelching the rise of social deviants (i.e. goumas and fiends).

just food for thought!
sonagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 00:24   Link #102
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoofy View Post
looks like a fledgling false minoshiro. i'm guessing that was what Saki's mother had for her ? the contents of her library ?
Oh. That might make a lot of sense.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 01:44   Link #103
Tempester
AS's "Love Live!" Fanatic

The reveal about how the rats are abducting human children is indeed horrific—to us, that is. Part of the rats' strategy of war against each other was to raise the young of their defeated opponents to become future soldiers, and that applies in a very similar way to the war against humans. It's only so much more terrifying to us because it's our own species in the mix; previously we could only shrug off (kinda) the baby-stealing because "it's their species, they can do what they like to each other, and we're not involved so it's cool." This big dawn of realization is the result of such brilliant writing.

In the end, it all comes down to instinctive loyalty and interest in one's own species. I respect and sympathize with the rats' earnest efforts to fight off their oppressors, but I personally side with the tyrannical human overlords because, well, they're human. I don't need any other excuse.
- - - - -
Recently completed anime:
Girls und Panzer: Kore ga Hontou no Anzio-sen Desu!
Sakura Trick
Love Live! School Idol Project 2nd Season
Selector Infected WIXOSS
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
Nagi no Asukara
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 02:54   Link #104
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
The whole fiend deal requires too much suspension of disbelief to swallow. Other than that, the series is going great.
Old 2013-02-24, 02:55   Link #105
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
What the hell did I watch... This is a horror anime!!!!

Can't believed what is happening..

Shinsei is dead.. The fiend is on the lose and fu@k Yakomaru is no where to find!!!! I can't think nothing but fear for the safety of the survivors....

I'm losing my hyperactivity because of the happenings... People die and can't lay a finger upon..him/her.. I just don't know how they could stop him/her and not actually having to fight. So I guess based on the preview.. they are on retreat... to the Arctic?

Question: How in the world did the Querrats invented the semi automatic rifle...?!

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-02-24 at 03:15.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 03:59   Link #106
Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Question: How in the world did the Querrats invented the semi automatic rifle...?!
The false minoshiro.
Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 08:15   Link #107
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne

One thing odd about the storyline is that in humans why there is no methods to eliminate Aki . They have already seen the amount of destruction that a single Aki can do. Even in the past there is a control for weapon of mass destruction like nuclear. It doesn't take a high IQ rat to figure out that it just need to raise one Aki to enslave humans.

Current Season animes: Shingeki no Kyojin, Inu to Hasmi wa Tsukai yo
Tougarashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 08:48   Link #108
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tougarashi View Post
One thing odd about the storyline is that in humans why there is no methods to eliminate Aki . They have already seen the amount of destruction that a single Aki can do. Even in the past there is a control for weapon of mass destruction like nuclear. It doesn't take a high IQ rat to figure out that it just need to raise one Aki to enslave humans.
But the humans do everything in their power to make sure an Aki is never born, that is their control.

To say it only takes one Aki to enslave the humans, well obviously it never crossed their minds that the rats would come up with the plan like this. They saw them as animals with some intelligence, but certainly not with the capabilities to do something like this. They underestimated them in their own arrogance.
Old 2013-02-24, 09:55   Link #109
DummyInc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
But the humans do everything in their power to make sure an Aki is never born, that is their control.

To say it only takes one Aki to enslave the humans, well obviously it never crossed their minds that the rats would come up with the plan like this. They saw them as animals with some intelligence, but certainly not with the capabilities to do something like this. They underestimated them in their own arrogance.
sounds like north korea, just that its leader doesnt have the sight of Yakomaru
Old 2013-02-24, 10:09   Link #110
taichi-kun

I need to know how maria and mamoru died.. their last moments etc ( but It should have been explained in this episode right? anime probably will skip that..)

It pains me to see that their beloved child is now Yakomaru's pet

Really I won't be satisfied untill Yakomaru is killed in a painful and horrible way.
taichi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 11:04   Link #111
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyInc View Post
sounds like north korea, just that its leader doesnt have the sight of Yakomaru
Repelsteeltju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 11:35   Link #112
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:

I think they may have considered that possibility, actually. The parents always told the children to stay away from the rats because they were scared they would be abducted.

That being said, Yakomaru definitely outsmarted them this time. He completely blindsided them by using a child that wasn't even supposed to exist.
Old 2013-02-24, 13:24   Link #113
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi-kun View Post
Really I won't be satisfied untill Yakomaru is killed in a painful and horrible way.
I think Kiroumaru will kill Yakomaru, but it will be a Pyrrhic victory, no other human colony will attempt to exterminate the Robber Fly colony out of fear of retaliation and as time goes on the news about the "gods" defeat will spread like wild fire.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 14:18   Link #114
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
I think Kiroumaru will kill Yakomaru, but it will be a Pyrrhic victory, no other human colony will attempt to exterminate the Robber Fly colony out of fear of retaliation and as time goes on the news about the "gods" defeat will spread like wild fire.
No other human colony will attempt it? I really doubt that. We're comparing the rats to humans here, but what we're seeing is rats using human history to evolve their society. These aren't new tactics they're using, they're just mimicking what humans have done.

I really doubt every human left has PK. I also really doubt that of those PK, every one of them is from a society like Saki's. And I really doubt the scientists were able to make every PK user have built in death feedback. And even if that were the case, humans are just as smart as they are ruthless.

Humans are fragile beings who sit at the top of a food chain for a reason. We lack teeth and claws, but we have incredible minds and adaptability. Yakomaru may well create an empire for his kind, but his victory here was only due to taking a society not prepared for warfare by surprise. Even with the dwindled population, humanity still numbers in the tens of millions.

Of course, we really have no idea of the outside world. For all we know, Saki's village was all that was left of humanity. But I doubt that.
Old 2013-02-24, 14:44   Link #115
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
And even if that were the case, humans uses to be as smart as they are ruthless.
Updated to reflect the world of Shin Sekai Yori We are talking of a world where humans are raised to be meek by nature, where technology is slowly but surely escaping their understanding and population is dwindling with no end in sight.

Maybe Shin Sekai Yuri tries to set of an alarm, since modern mankind are also slowly to follow mass media ideas, most people have not the faintest idea how technology works (or how to repair them, even automobiles used to be repaired at home) and albeit population is not dwindling there are sign that pollution is damaging the gene pool.
Old 2013-02-24, 16:45   Link #116
j4c06

I think the authors made Squealer way too far-thinking and overpowered. He may be cunning and manipulating and power-greedy, but every megalomaniac needs at least a team to actually do stuff. When they blame it all on a single devious rat it diminishes all the inter-species problems they were trying to define. But what's more, one of the most original and fresh recent shows is turning into another save-the-world-from.the-evil-boss affair. Bummer.
j4c06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 16:55   Link #117
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

@j4c06

I think you are exaggerating Yokumaru's worth. To make an example, it was one man idea to build the panama canal, but he did not knew first hand all the technological details nor he build it with his own hands. Same thing applies to Yakomaru, he devised a plan that could be summarized in a few sentences, but no doubt another bakenezumi stumbled upon a false mishoshiro, another team created the modern firearms, another group created the giant living bombs, another one slowly dug the tunnerls under the village, another one was in charge of killing Maria and Mamoru and another was to raise their child and probably other needed to help them (the ingredients of powder had to be secured somehow, trading with other colonies).
Old 2013-02-24, 18:14   Link #118
SagaraSouske

Regarding Death Loop Feedback, even if it is both genetic and mental conditioning, it should still be possible for some individuals to kill the field in the same manner as he is slaughtering all the humans. Even if the overwhelming majority choose flight instead of fight, some, especially those like Tomiko or Shisei should have been able to double KO with the Akki.

We have the Doctor that applied lethal injection that killed K. He was able to overcome his conditioning and sacrifice himself and Tomiko saw it happen. I don't see why she could not do the same knowing that herself and the town is doomed if she doesn't act. Shisei also had plenty of opportunity to do so as well. Death feedback loop may be an ill conceived idea, but making Akki the end all be all doom weapon for humans does not make sense.
Old 2013-02-24, 18:25   Link #119
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagaraSouske View Post
Regarding Death Loop Feedback, even if it is both genetic and mental conditioning, it should still be possible for some individuals to kill the field in the same manner as he is slaughtering all the humans. Even if the overwhelming majority choose flight instead of fight, some, especially those like Tomiko or Shisei should have been able to double KO with the Akki.

We have the Doctor that applied lethal injection that killed K. He was able to overcome his conditioning and sacrifice himself and Tomiko saw it happen. I don't see why she could not do the same knowing that herself and the town is doomed if she doesn't act. Shisei also had plenty of opportunity to do so as well. Death feedback loop may be an ill conceived idea, but making Akki the end all be all doom weapon for humans does not make sense.
The difference is - this isn't a traditional fiend. It's a human with no control not one out of control. They really stood no chance.
Old 2013-02-24, 19:16   Link #120
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonagi View Post
@kuromitsu ... so the name Maria signifies that she is the Madonna/Virgin Mary? Is that why we have the overly gratuitous scenes revolving around Saint Maria in the series? If Maria died as a kind of "sacrifice" and her child is likened to the savior ... does this mean he will "crucify" himself as well before the end of the series? The only significance I see in the name "Mamoru" is the meaning of "to protect". But I deconstruct that on so many levels
Ah, this is just a theory I have as the possible reason for Maria's name. (All the gratuituity is just the anime doing its own thing for some reason.) It fits, I think, and I can't believe it was unintentional what with the kid being explicitly referred to as "Messiah" by the bakenezumi. As for Mamoru, I'm probably overthinking this, but it could be another addition in deconstructing the meaning of his name - Joseph being the protector (and father figure) of the Messiah. Unlike poor Mamoru...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tougarashi View Post
There ARE ways to eliminate akki, I mean they eventually managed to deal with every single akki that appeared so far, in one way or another - it's just that, there's no way that you can actually prepare for. Actually, unless the next episode has serious cuts it will touch on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi-kun View Post
I need to know how maria and mamoru died.. their last moments etc ( but It should have been explained in this episode right? anime probably will skip that..)
You're out of luck, we never learn this for sure. I think some of the theories in this thread and the previous ones are very plausible.

Quote:
Regarding Death Loop Feedback, even if it is both genetic and mental conditioning, it should still be possible for some individuals to kill the field in the same manner as he is slaughtering all the humans.
But they can't. They're physically unable to do it. The moment your anti-aggression genes kick in you start to feel sick, end up having seizures, etc. Your body essentially shuts down. You can't concentrate enough to use your power. Remember how bad it was for Rijin even though he knew perfectly well that he didn't really harm any humans - and imagine how it would be for someone willingly trying to kill an actual human. Note that even Shisei didn't attack the boy directly - to avoid this reaction as much as possible.

Quote:
We have the Doctor that applied lethal injection that killed K. He was able to overcome his conditioning and sacrifice himself and Tomiko saw it happen. I don't see why she could not do the same knowing that herself and the town is doomed if she doesn't act.
Well, for one, the akki would kill her before she could get close to him? The only reason the doctor could get close enough to K to kill him was because K, being completely disoriented and insane, let the doctor get close to him to examine him. There is also a psychological factor.

Quote:
They underestimated them in their own arrogance.
Or rather, they never expected them to gain access to information wrt what akki and gouma actually are, how the human biology works, etc. I don't think it's arrogance, it's more like an understandable oversight.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote