AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-04-01, 08:12   Link #21
4Tran

Little Witch Academia is awesome, and everyone should go watch it!
Old 2013-04-01, 08:15   Link #22
Dop
We can't stop here...

Little Witch Academia was really good fun, and I too would love it if it ran to a series.
Trigger really nailed everything on the head in terms of story, characters, and enjoyment.

Spoiler for LWA:
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 08:35   Link #23
totoum
Gamer

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Spoiler for LWA:

Spoiler for lwa:

And Sucy is my fav as well, she weirdly reminds me of Peg from lady and the tramp maybe it's the hair covering up one of her eyes.

Loved her voice as well, her seiyuu is a first timer but I don't know if that's because she's a rookie or because she usually does live action.
Old 2013-04-01, 08:52   Link #24
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I suppose my expectations were unrealistically high for Trigger here. Not because they've given me any reason to expect greatness, but because if we're ever to see a vintage Gainax series again it's almost certainly not going to come from Gainax and with Anno seemingly disinterested in anything but re-writing Eva every few years, Trigger seems like the least unrealistic hope.

With that in mind, I enjoyed LWA but ultimately it didn't go to the level of real entusiasm. There's just a hint of Gainax in the look, but while the animation is undeniably technically brilliant I don't see a whole lot of originality or wit here. It's just a well-made, mildly entertaining piece that stays safely within the visual and narrative guardrails from start to finish and preaches to the choir when it comes to what's popular in anime these days.

My favorite part is probably the cast, which is really solid from top to bottom. It's always nice to see Han Megumi get another lead role and she's quite solid as Akko. It's nice to see Yoshinari Yoh get this chance - that's what Anime Mirai is all about after all - and he and Otsuka Masahiko have certainly had their hands in all of Gainax' finest works. I don't see anything here that leads me to believe they're capable of being the driving force of something of that caliber, but it's a decent first step.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 09:14   Link #25
totoum
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
and preaches to the choir when it comes to what's popular in anime these days.
Sorry if that seems like a foolish question,but how exactly?
Old 2013-04-01, 09:29   Link #26
Haak
F**k my life...

That was definitely an enjoyable episode. It was pretty safe but I was entertained from start to finish. It had real charm imo.

I hope it does become a TV show though I think it would've worked better as a feature length film.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 09:55   Link #27
Kakkou
18歳腐った(?)少年

I can see why LWA has been getting the praise it has. It's a charming, fun and very well animated piece. It's safe to expect some nice things from the young animators involved in it. Story was simple but does it need to be deep? No, not necessarily. I mean it would be great if it did but the main goal of this is to nurture the animators' technical skills and put them on display, which LWA absolutely delivered.
Old 2013-04-01, 11:16   Link #28
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
and preaches to the choir when it comes to what's popular in anime these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
It was pretty safe
I dunno what you guys are expecting here.
Old 2013-04-01, 12:02   Link #29
Haak
F**k my life...

Nothing. I didn't even know the name until I watched it. XP
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 18:10   Link #30
Kirarakim

Story wise it wasn't anything amazing but then it was only 20 something minutes. Animation wise it was a lot of fun & very creative.

It kind of reminded me of the story "The Worst Witch".
Old 2013-04-01, 20:31   Link #31
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Sorry if that seems like a foolish question,but how exactly?
Well, it's a cute girls being cute anime. It doesn't get much safer than that.
Old 2013-04-01, 22:39   Link #32
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Now i want to see this OVA being adapted into tv serie with the same budget...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 22:49   Link #33
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Now i want to see this OVA being adapted into tv serie with the same budget...
That's not going to happen. They spent a ton of taxpayer money on the show - 2-4x as much as a typical TV episode. Moreover, the studio had way more time to work on it than can fit in a TV schedule. Any TV version would lose a lot of the animation quality. The only way to preserve the quality in a longer work would be a short OVA series, or ideally a movie.
Old 2013-04-01, 23:15   Link #34
frubam
singing heartbreak

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Well, it's a cute girls being cute anime. It doesn't get much safer than that.
It's not just about that! It's about believing in yourself; in your dreams. It's about the power of friendship. It's about the tenacity of your peers and how it seeks to motivate you. All of these aspects could have gone horribly wrong, but the show managed to persevere its generic tropes to offer a introspective outlook on such a mindset based in a modern society within a fantasy-style atmosphere =03.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 23:41   Link #35
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
It's not just about that! It's about believing in yourself; in your dreams. It's about the power of friendship. It's about the tenacity of your peers and how it seeks to motivate you. All of these aspects could have gone horribly wrong, but the show managed to persevere its generic tropes to offer a introspective outlook on such a mindset based in a modern society within a fantasy-style atmosphere =03.
And they were really cute, too.
Old 2013-04-02, 00:09   Link #36
Warm Mist

I don't know, what were you expecting out of Yoshinari doing a 25-min short? Not like he isn't a fan of cute girls!
It's obvious to me that LWA was all about animation and style. They couldn't have the story draw attention to itself and away from the main appeal, which was the magic.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 00:22   Link #37
totoum
Gamer

Quote:
And they were really cute, too.
Cute?
Our heroine,maybe,the others? it'd say it's more wacky girls being wacky.

Not saying this wasn't safe in a saturday morning cartoon kind of way and sure the school + all girls setting is there so I can get where you're coming from (especially when you compare it to something like Death Billards) but if trigger was really preaching the choir the look would have been less cartoony (seriously , Sucy and Rotte's chara designs are miles away from the modern bishoujo look),the girls would be a bit more sexualized and you'd have a whole lot more yuri undertones.
Old 2013-04-02, 01:09   Link #38
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Cute?
Our heroine,maybe,the others? it'd say it's more wacky girls being wacky.

Not saying this wasn't safe in a saturday morning cartoon kind of way and sure the school + all girls setting is there so I can get where you're coming from (especially when you compare it to something like Death Billards) but if trigger was really preaching the choir the look would have been less cartoony (seriously , Sucy and Rotte's chara designs are miles away from the modern bishoujo look),the girls would be a bit more sexualized and you'd have a whole lot more yuri undertones.
I thought there was a sizeable amount of standard-level loli fanservice - we're not talking Ro-Kyu-Bu or anything like that, but we certainly spend a significant amount of time with the camera looking up Akko's skirt.

Listen, I'm not knocking it - this was well-done for what it was. I just don't think we should pretend this was anything more than a highly conventional cute girls OVA. If we're going to have those it's obviously better that they be done as well as this one was. I just place a lot of hopes in Trigger what with the demise of Gainax, and the writer and director of LWA are both veterans of the likes of FLCL, Eva and TTGL. I just hope they aim a little higher in future projects, but I also understand that Trigger is a new studio and the priority right now is to prove they can make commercially viable anime. I just think there's still an audience for the challenging material these guys did at Gainax - most of which were major commercial hits as well as being artistic achievements.
Old 2013-04-02, 04:09   Link #39
totoum
Gamer

Quote:
I just don't think we should pretend this was anything more than a highly conventional cute girls OVA
It's just that when you say that it makes it sound like this OVA which doesn't do it justice.
Old 2013-04-02, 04:21   Link #40
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, those are your words, not mine - I never made that comparison, nor would I.