AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-03-04, 00:37   Link #661
sa547
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philippines
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm tempted to ask some people in another thread how old she is.
LOL. After checking out that link, I muttered, "What in the world is going on with her eyes?"
__________________
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 00:43   Link #662
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Her other pics are kind of amazing themselves:
http://mpzerocos.exblog.jp/i84

She seems to be really good at "wide eye effect" for a photo that many asian girls can do. Some pics you can see her normal look. For a minute I was afraid she had had that damned eye surgery done but in several of the pics her eyes are just normally lidded.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-03-04 at 00:58.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 01:19   Link #663
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm tempted to ask some people in another thread how old she is.
Based on her Shana cosplay, I'm guessing she's quite a bit older than she looks in the Satoko cosplay:
http://mpzerocos.exblog.jp/7688124/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547
LOL. After checking out that link, I muttered, "What in the world is going on with her eyes?"
In addition to what Vexx mentioned about being able to open her eyes really wide, she's wearing huge contacts.

And if you think that's WTF... check out her Hina Ichigo cosplay:
http://mpzerocos.exblog.jp/8711075/
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 01:44   Link #664
LaceNFrills
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I really like the Yoko cosplay and the blond girl's posted by iamtetsuo. They look more natural and their eyes don't look weird. This girl:

http://mpzerocos.exblog.jp/7857357/

looks like she had eyes surgery because normal big eyes have creases at the top. I think a lot of these cosplay models had their eyes done actually, which I think they should spend the money on fixing their teeth so they could show more teeth when they smile
LaceNFrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 01:50   Link #665
sa547
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philippines
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceNFrills View Post
I really like the Yoko cosplay and the blond girl's posted by iamtetsuo. They look more natural and their eyes don't look weird. This girl:

http://mpzerocos.exblog.jp/7857357/

looks like she had eyes surgery because normal big eyes have creases at the top. I think a lot of these cosplay models had their eyes done actually, which I think they should spend the money on fixing their teeth so they could show more teeth when they smile
Either that, or exceptional Photoshop skills (methinks of Chisame Hasegawa aka Web-Idol Chi-u ).
__________________
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 02:33   Link #666
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceNFrills View Post
I really like the Yoko cosplay and the blond girl's posted by iamtetsuo. They look more natural and their eyes don't look weird. This girl:

http://mpzerocos.exblog.jp/7857357/

looks like she had eyes surgery because normal big eyes have creases at the top. I think a lot of these cosplay models had their eyes done actually, which I think they should spend the money on fixing their teeth so they could show more teeth when they smile
If you look at the last picture in the set, she doesn't have her eyes open so wide and there are visible creases.

That said, I do know that a lot of asians do have surgery to get their eyes widened, so is there a specific sign to look for in that regard?

Most of them are definately wearing oversized contacts.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 02:42   Link #667
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Also if you look at her other cosplay, there are obvious creases in her eyes in several of them. I suppose if the surgery is done WELL its hard to tell (because there are a percentage that can naturally make their eyes wide and round when surprised). However, the ones I can spot are travesties where the pinks of the eyes are far too visible and they look like they *can't* blink.

Sorry but I consider it a horrible thing to do.

As for the teeth.... I'm told many people actually consider a certain amount of snaggletooth to be cute and charming. And I have to agree that as long as it isn't completely awful, that it is. However, though Japan has dental care - they don't spend money fixing such issues unless it is deemed medically necessary. And it costs a lot of money and time to straighten teeth out... the eye procedures can be done in an hour with followup care. :P

The oversize contacts are specifically for anime character portrayal and can be obtained online from theatrical eyewear websites. A friend of mine has cateye contacts (weighted so the slits stay vertical).
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 02:55   Link #668
LaceNFrills
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
If you look at the last picture in the set, she doesn't have her eyes open so wide and there are visible creases.

That said, I do know that a lot of asians do have surgery to get their eyes widened, so is there a specific sign to look for in that regard?

Most of them are definately wearing oversized contacts.
I don't understand how wearing the oversized contacts does to your eyes. And I'm not 100 percent sure but I can tell that she had her eyes surgery because the upper creases doesn't look soft. You can see in every of those pictures that her left eyelid is kinda straight weirdly. Sometime crease could be drawn on, or there's this special tape that help makes your creases more visable and such. Oh, and double eyelid surgery is supposed to make your upper eyes have crease. xD

And just to stay on top pic. Here's a link to a nice cosplay.


EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

As for the teeth.... I'm told many people actually consider a certain amount of snaggletooth to be cute and charming. And I have to agree that as long as it isn't completely awful, that it is. However, though Japan has dental care - they don't spend money fixing such issues unless it is deemed medically necessary. And it costs a lot of money and time to straighten teeth out... the eye procedures can be done in an hour with followup care. :P
Indeed, in my country people consider it cute too. Only one though.
But you know how some people have two snaggle teeth then two front teeth when smile and it looks bad. :/
LaceNFrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 03:18   Link #669
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceNFrills View Post
I don't understand how wearing the oversized contacts does to your eyes. And I'm not 100 percent sure but I can tell that she had her eyes surgery because the upper creases doesn't look soft. You can see in every of those pictures that her left eyelid is kinda straight weirdly. Sometime crease could be drawn on, or there's this special tape that help makes your creases more visable and such. Oh, and double eyelid surgery is supposed to make your upper eyes have crease. xD
You can get a good look at her left eye in the fourth pic of her Fuko set:
http://mpzerocos.exblog.jp/7822018/

It's true that it does look a little odd... a little less rounded than I'm accustomed too. I don't know enough about the topic to draw conclusions, though.

I personally think her Fuko shoot should have included some more agressive looking expressions just for the in-character-ness, but it's a pretty cute set overall.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 13:38   Link #670
Jill Valentine
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Derelict Apartment Block
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
LOL. After checking out that link, I muttered, "What in the world is going on with her eyes?"

She's wearing circle eye lens, which every japanese girl like's to wear, circle eye lens make's the eye's look more bigger than real once, and some of the len's are really thick that it's hard to close the eye's without hurting... so that's why her eye's look wierd, i have circle lens too, mine are very thick... here's the photo, it has different design in all them, so if you see asian's with big eye's that mean's they are wearing korean contacts...this one is showing the before and after
here look at this girls eyes
no one does surgery.
Jill Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 14:33   Link #671
JanthraX^
Ace Archer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuppy Cake View Post

no one does surgery.
but they sure do photoshop
__________________
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 15:03   Link #672
Jill Valentine
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Derelict Apartment Block
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanthraX^ View Post
but they sure do photoshop

No. why go to all that trouble when you can buy len's

i am telling you asian girl's only buy contact's to make there eyes bigger, believe me i know
Jill Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 22:40   Link #673
LaceNFrills
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Spoiler for Off topic stuff.:


Anyway, here are some nice cosplays ^_^ .
Spoiler for cosplays.:
LaceNFrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 23:27   Link #674
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceNFrills View Post
Spoiler for Off topic stuff.:
Spoiler for Quick note:


I actually kind of dig the contacts, but agree that the facial expressions could use some work in some cases. It seems to be the one thing that holds a lot of cosplayers back.

Going to take a quick break from the MPzero stuff to highlight some local talent:
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 00:14   Link #675
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
I also agree with LaceNFrills in that many cosplayers don't seem to have a clue about the personality of their character in these photo collections. They're just "girls in outfits posing". On the other hand, 90% of everything is chaff so it makes finding the 10% more exciting.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 01:37   Link #676
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I also agree with LaceNFrills in that many cosplayers don't seem to have a clue about the personality of their character in these photo collections. They're just "girls in outfits posing". On the other hand, 90% of everything is chaff so it makes finding the 10% more exciting.
In character cosplay is great, but I wouldn't really say that being out of character makes a cosplay bad on its own. For example, this Yuki cosplay doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would exist outside Kyon's imagination, but with the exception of the last picture I like it a lot more than many less out of character Yuki cosplays I've seen, which often just end up looking stilted:
http://mpzerocos.exblog.jp/8875286/
(Edit: I think pic #3 is the reason I like this set so much. Again, gorgeous photo, completely OOC - although to be quite honest, I'm always curious as to what Yuki would be like if she was more in touch with her human side.)

That said, not all out of character posing is created equal. They range from cute to just looking forced and unnatural.

Spoiler for getting off topic again:


I guess my thinking on this could be summed up as "if you can't make your expression look in character, at least try and make it look interesting".

Last edited by 0utf0xZer0; 2009-03-05 at 03:19.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 03:41   Link #677
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 25
Not bad Shana cosplay. I think those eye-contact thingies sound painful, though. I wear contacts and glasses myself (though I prefer glasses), and the idea of oversized hardened lenses just sounds all-around unpleasant.
__________________
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 09:20   Link #678
Jill Valentine
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Derelict Apartment Block
Again no one does surgery in japan, it's not america
and the girls there wear big contacts because they wan't to look like anime more, and they struggle by wearing some of the thick contacts just for to have big eyes,there are thin contacts, but they depend on the detail inside of them there are, anime like with so many highlights and there are stars in some contacts, and theres uchiha contacts too

I dont care i wear them everyday
Jill Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 13:49   Link #679
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Aye, you can get flexible contacts are oversized anyway so coloring them just makes use of the whole surface area.

Basically, spend more to get more comfort.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-05, 13:55   Link #680
Jill Valentine
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Derelict Apartment Block
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, you can get flexible contacts are oversized anyway so coloring them just makes use of the whole surface area.

Basically, spend more to get more comfort.
You're right
Jill Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cosplay, photo

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.