AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2013-03-14, 09:20   Link #141
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
And yes, still carried on the backs of a few hundred thousand subscribers.
But they are hardly making big bucks. Heck, in 2010 they had to call the government to help. It come down to the fact do you think the company should only be a non-profit that serve EVE, or should it be capitalistic and try to make serious money.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 10:36   Link #142
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
But they are hardly making big bucks. Heck, in 2010 they had to call the government to help. It come down to the fact do you think the company should only be a non-profit that serve EVE, or should it be capitalistic and try to make serious money.
CCP would've went bankrupt LONG before 2010 if Eve Online wasn't profitable, the game went live in 2003! What kind of MMO can stay running for 7+ years without generating profit? Hell, CCP started with 21 employees, and now (even after the layoffs) still employs 4-500 people, do you think those people and the supercomputer were free?

As I already explained, CCP ran into trouble when they bit off more than they can chew by vastly expanding the amount of projects they're working on, the company did just fine otherwise - Eve was profitable, but not to the point where it allows CCP to acquire another company and work on two new games at the same time without eventual repercussions. Studio 38 was similar in biting off more than they can chew by taking on massive loans with no income, and betting the whole farm on a single product. Unlike Studio 38, CCP had the ability to reverse course before it was too late. In both cases the cause of the problem comes down to mismanagement and unrealistic expectation by the upper level, and not because the subscription model is somehow inadequate for supporting a MMO developer per your original assertion.

Last edited by kyp275; 2013-03-14 at 10:50.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 17:30   Link #143
T-6000

Has anyone tried out Digital Extreme's new F2P title called "Warframe"? Not too long ago it went Open Beta. I have checked out some gameplay footage and it looks....quite generic. I may still give it a chance.
Old 2013-03-26, 13:59   Link #144
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
Has anyone tried out Digital Extreme's new F2P title called "Warframe"? Not too long ago it went Open Beta. I have checked out some gameplay footage and it looks....quite generic. I may still give it a chance.
Dude it's a FPS. You know, the genre that spawns all the colorful words we use when we want to hate on video games.

If it's only generic then I guess it must be some revolutionary FPS!
Old 2013-03-26, 14:40   Link #145
T-6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Dude it's a FPS. You know, the genre that spawns all the colorful words we use when we want to hate on video games.

If it's only generic then I guess it must be some revolutionary FPS!
Well for me, the guns have to feel pretty powerful and satisfying, and Enemies to feel tough and smart. If the weapons sound & feel weak, and enemy AI is too simplistic, then it'll feel too generic for me.

Hmmm.....I'm tempted to make a thread on my preferences for a FPS game. When I talk about FPS games with my brother, I usually recite my 5 golden rules for a good FPS.
Old 2013-03-26, 17:12   Link #146
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

5 golden rules for me:
  • low ammo
  • crazy guns
  • low ammo
  • environment
  • limited ammo carrying ability
Old 2013-03-27, 08:52   Link #147
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
Well for me, the guns have to feel pretty powerful and satisfying, and Enemies to feel tough and smart. If the weapons sound & feel weak, and enemy AI is too simplistic, then it'll feel too generic for me.

Hmmm.....I'm tempted to make a thread on my preferences for a FPS game. When I talk about FPS games with my brother, I usually recite my 5 golden rules for a good FPS.
I remember the first time playing Half-Life .. where upon facing the enemy commandos I wide-eyed in amazement when instead of turning the corner and dying to my fire .. they lobbed a grenade at me ..
Old 2013-05-09, 13:36   Link #148
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

World of Warcraft lose 1.3 Million players Q1 2013

http://techland.time.com/2013/05/09/...d-of-warcraft/

It begins....
Old 2013-05-09, 14:42   Link #149
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Well, the game is almost nine years old.

I don't think Blizzard will be able to make lightning strike a second time in a row, though. I doubt Project Titan will be anywhere as successful as WoW was.

Edit: TIME editor is a complete moron if he thinks PC gaming is in any way declining.
Old 2013-05-09, 15:08   Link #150
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

I still think the biggest hindrance in PC gaming is the cost of hardware (not something that will ever be "fixed") and piracy.

WoW is still a good game in terms of gameplay: its system has had many years of refinement (although developers are really weary of making big changes).

My biggest problem with it is that it consumes too much time. If you do PvE content (raids), you got to join a raiding guild and be ready to show up on a weekly basis as if it is another job. All the drama and other crap involved gets somewhat annoying over time as well. Fighting the same bosses for anything over a month is annoying enough.

PvP is similar: you really want to play out the whole season, and also be able to find good players who are interested in regular pvping.

Lets not even mention the chore of doing dailies.

They really need to implement some sort of an ELO to every player in all aspects (even PVE) and just allow you to randomly queue with people around the same ELO range (even battlegrounds: those who have queued for AV during AV weekends will know the amount of bots involved).
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 15:18   Link #151
Newprimus
TRUST IN LITTLE SISTER
*Artist

Guild Wars 2 is probably a good part of the reason. In fact there are now many good MMO alternatives to WoW, so it's no longer the go-to for your MMO needs.

BUT LITTLE SISTER WATCHES BIG BROTHER.

LITTLE SISTER KNOWS BEST.
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 15:35   Link #152
Strigon 13
Electrosphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
Guild Wars 2 is probably a good part of the reason. In fact there are now many good MMO alternatives to WoW, so it's no longer the go-to for your MMO needs.
Also because the mayority of those MMOs are F2P with a cash shop (like Aion) or B2P without a monthly fee (like GW2).
Old 2013-05-09, 15:37   Link #153
Xion Valkyrie

The numbers are actually a lot worse than they're letting on. About 60% of their numbers come from the Chinese servers, but they don't have a subscription for WoW in China. Instead people pay by the hour/minute. This means that they really only have a rough estimate of how many 'subs' they have in the Chinese servers and they're definitely not getting $15 per user per month from them, especially since it's a Chinese company handling the Chinese.

So in reality, the actual subs are more like 3-4 mil.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 15:52   Link #154
Ithekro
Warning

Considering that Everquest is still around, I'm not that worried about World of Warcraft going away anytime soon.
Old 2013-05-09, 18:24   Link #155
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Considering that Everquest is still around, I'm not that worried about World of Warcraft going away anytime soon.
Very true.

However, what is different than EQ is W3 has a huge infrastructure, I.E say, 100 servers against say EQ's 10 (Just pulling # out of ass as a comparison)

Then there are staffs, engineers, programmers, maids, data center, telecom costs that are all fixed. So after a certain point of decline, you are actually losing money. It is entirely possible to have 5 million subs and lose money, while earning money with 400,000 sub with the same $15/month charge.

We will truly know WoW is losing money when they are start merging servers. Because at that time you are really bleeding and you HAVE to cut servers/staff etc. The fact they are willing to admit it during a client call means that may be coming soon.
Old 2013-05-09, 18:30   Link #156
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

They havent merged servers for a lonnng time. Why would they when they can charge people to transfer servers?

Those who prefer low pop servers can stay there, those who want to move either pay or reroll.

People have requested free xfers since day 1 of WoW, so its pathetic if they say the tech isn't there yet.
Old 2013-05-09, 19:36   Link #157
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

The problem with free transfers is no one would transfer 100% off a server. if a small guild of 30 people decide to call Server X their home, would it be fair to devote a server resource meant for 40,000+ players for 30 people?

Furthermore, what happen to people with inactive accounts? I still have a WoW account even though I quit over a year ago. What will happen then?

Force merger is always a sign of weakness for a MMO. People were sounding EQ2's death bells when they suddenly Force merge several servers in the name of "helping players meeting new people." This was back in 2005, and lo and behold, WOW crushed EQII and never went back.

So soon or later, WoW will cross the threshold from making money to break even...then to losing money, then to losing ALOT of money.

We will see.
Old 2013-05-09, 20:58   Link #158
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

WoW is able to overtake EQ because WoW, even at launch, was superior in many ways. The biggest problem with WoW these days is not that there is a very strong competitor brewing (we all knew WoW is being developed and hordes of people were excited over it), but that people are bored of the whole subs base mmo model or just the same in general.

Even if they make WoW free to play to say, people who have had been playing for the past 3 years, I seriously doubt there would be a giant influx of player over a long period of time. We all got those games on our computer which once upon a time we loved but no longer play just because we are tired of the game.
Old 2013-05-09, 21:18   Link #159
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
The time has come for WoW to end.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 22:08   Link #160
Destined_Fate

WoW was my first major MMO that I stuck with for years. I still love the game but I've been playing it for so long... It was simply time for me to move one as I got older and my responsibilities started to pile up.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote