AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Old 2013-02-28, 15:51   Link #1
Kyrobi

Question Suggestion for a comical mature anime ?

Hello there

I want your help Since I finished the videogame Catherine (by Atlus) I have been looking (in vain) for an anime with that degree of humor (and romance) but that would also be mature.

I mean, I would like to see something different than the romantic anime about some teenage kids in love blabla...

Does someone know any anime about people on their 20s or 30s (comedy, romance or whatever) that you like and you could suggest ?

Thanks everyone
Kyrobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 16:10   Link #2
jedinat
フリーター

Never played Catherine, but...
Arakawa Under the Bridge is a funny gag manga with some romance; main characters are adults...
Rec is a pretty good rom-com...
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 18:13   Link #3
kitten320

GTO - it is set at school but main hero is in his 20s and series deal with a lot of different, serious issues while still being comedic and funny.

From ongoing series you can try Space Brothers where main hero is his 30s and wants to become an austranaut as his younger brother.
Old 2013-02-28, 18:28   Link #4
Kyrobi

Thanks a lot, you two

I'll check Under The Bridge tonight (yep, it's already past midnight in France ).

Kitten I'm a HUGE fan of GTO, it is actually my favourite anime (by far, even if I loved Kamen No Maid Guy and other things recently). If you know another anime like GTO I'd love to check it out

I've been looking for an anime like that since I've finished GTO back in 2008.
Old 2013-02-28, 20:08   Link #5
kaitanuva

I know you don't want teenage kiddies in love but if you loved GTO and RomComs in general, you'd be doing yourself a disfavor by not checking out Lovely Complex. It's the goddess of RomCom's IMO.

Other mature RomComs:

Rec
Maison Ikkoku
kaitanuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 20:48   Link #6
deadlights911

Welcome to the NHK – No doubt about it. It’s a mature comedy… well at least it is for the first 11 episodes… after that the show gets more dark and depressing (though it still has some comedy) and I recommend watching it even though the show gets more somber as it goes on.

You’ll be laughing and at the same time you’ll be like “Wow, this is pretty bleak” and it’s not until the last 4 episodes that are just heart wrenching (at least in my opinion). Still it’s a brilliant anime that I recommend watching.
deadlights911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-28, 20:49   Link #7
deadlights911

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitanuva View Post
I know you don't want teenage kiddies in love but if you loved GTO and RomComs in general, you'd be doing yourself a disfavor by not checking out Lovely Complex. It's the goddess of RomCom's IMO.

Other mature RomComs:

Rec
Maison Ikkoku
Yeah, Lovely Complex is amazing. The humour in it isn't "mature" or whatever, it's a pretty clean anime, but it's still awesome.
deadlights911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 19:25   Link #8
Kyrobi

Thanks for your helps guys !

I'll check Under The Bridge out
Old 2013-03-08, 19:33   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I suggest Oh! Edo Rocket, a political satire set in 1843-44 Edo. I prefer the Shinsen subtitles over Funimation's, because Funi made some rather substantial changes to the script to make it more accessible to Western audiences. (Just this week there was a discussion about this in an ANN thread.) I can't point to Shinsen's version because the show is licensed, so you're on your own.

Next I'll recommend Nodame Cantabile, a romantic comedy set in a college-level Japanese classical music conservatory. You can watch the streamed version with dubbing on Crackle, or download the torrent. The torrent contains the original series and both sequels.

Hataraki Man is another possibility, a story about a 28-yo female editor at a weekly magazine. Subs are a bit hard to track down; look for "Arienai."

Two other possibilities from the "noitaminA" block that carried Nodame and Hataraki Man are Moyashimon and Kuragehime. The first is a sci-fi comedy about a college freshman who has the ability to see microbes. The first season is much better than last summer's sequel. Kuragehime is about a group of five female "otakus" in their 20's and 30's. The main character has a thing for jellyfish. Cross-dressing men appear in both these shows if that matters to you.

Next I'll suggest Kurenai with the warning that it has a mixture of drama and comedy along with an
Spoiler:
subplot. The main characters are a sixteen-year-old boy and a seven-year-old girl, but he lives in an apartment complex with older female neighbors, and the story itself is definitely mature.

Finally, I'll recommend Baccano!, a fantasy/comedy about gangsters and immortality set in Prohibition America. The first episode starts slowly, and the cast is large, but stick with it, and you'll be rewarded.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-03-08 at 19:52.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 19:45   Link #10
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Colourful....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-08, 19:55   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Do you mean the movie Colorful, or the (in my mind) rather dumb ecchi show that ran on television some years back? Since the movie is a drama, I'm guessing you're referring to the latter.

Tags
catherine, comedy, romance, suggestion