AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2003-11-18, 13:43   Link #1
hhaamu
Don't panic.

BT client suggestions?

I was wondering, is there a BT client available that meets all these requirements:
- BT3.3-style hashing (so that it doesn't hash the whole torrent, just the downloaded part)
- curses client
- shows distributed copies
- shows seeds/peers

I'm currently using the vanilla BT 3.3, just because of the hashing part.

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)
Generating the #animesuki stats since 2003
hhaamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 21:13   Link #2
minglong
Jump!

"Curses client"?

I'm not sure what that is, but Shadow's client does all you ask (except for the curses part because i'm not sure about that)

it also has the option to finish allocating hard drive space, just incase you feel like going back to the old...

http://bt.degreez.net/
minglong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 21:37   Link #3
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaamu
curses client
Sorry, the only curses client I have seen is the original one. I guess people don't go for command line
Python is easy to program, though, see if you can't make it print out that extra information yourself.
Old 2003-11-19, 03:53   Link #4
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One
You actually want this new hashing?
Well, I don't see much wrong with it. I get faster hashing when resuming the download. There are a few cosmetic glitches with it when looking at the filesystem. That's about it.

And yes, the experimental and shadow's client both include curses clients.

I'll try shadow's client then. It seems to have implemented BT3.3-style hashing (unfortunately, with the cosmetic glitches)

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)
Old 2003-11-19, 21:04   Link #5
NenMaster

ABC Client, http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/
Old 2003-11-20, 02:40   Link #6
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NenMaster
Doesn't have a curses downloader. Or at least I couldn't find it.

Old 2003-11-20, 10:08   Link #7
u&t

Havent used the standard client in a while but Shadows curses client looks exactly like the original BT client before the 3.3 (or was it 3.2?) update. Here is a lazy copy paste from my ssh terminal so you'll get an idea about what the shadow client looks like:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| file: iron.and.wine-LP&EP
| size: 87,632,731 (84 MB)
| dest: /home/anders/torrents/iron.and.wine-LP&EP |
| progress: ################################################## ################################################# |
| status: download succeeded!
| dl speed: ---
| ul speed: 0.0 KB/s
| sharing: 0.000 (0.0 MB up / 83.6 MB down) |
| seeds: 12 seen recently, plus 0.000 distributed copies |
| peers: 0 seen now, 0.0% done at 0.0 kB/s |
|
u&t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 01:47   Link #8
Zarxrax
Anime-Fansubs

What are curses?
ABC is based on Shadow's client, so it ought to support all of the same stuff.
Zarxrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-21, 05:36   Link #9
Jasio

hhaamu try Azureus, its a very nice proggy, a bit of a ram eater (based on the java engine). I average about 70% CPU usage and 120Mb of RAM usage while running about 10 downloads off of it, it finds peers very quickly and nicely, seeds well, has a torrent creater etc... check it out if you havent already.
Old 2003-11-21, 07:33   Link #10
u&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarxrax
What are curses?
It's a library for writing terminal based ui. You use the btdownloadcurses client when at work or if you just like terminals
Old 2003-11-21, 08:05   Link #11
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasio
hhaamu try Azureus
Tried it earlier. It crashed every time I started downloading a torrent. Might be due to running a non-supported JRE/JDK, though. Plus, it doesn't match the curses (text-only UI) requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarxrax
ABC is based on Shadow's client, so it ought to support all of the same stuff.
Yes, but choopan dropped the CLI client (which is one of my requirements) and redid the GUI. (not to mention that the current alpha version is... err... well, the tarball has executable permissions for every file, which you really shouldn't do)

And, if you plan to suggest a client, please make sure that it has the curses downloader. You can easily see this by downloading the source tarball and seeing if it contains the file btdownloadcurses.py.

So far, I've found theshadow's client the best. The Small One, mind telling me what are the minuses in BT3.3-style hashing?

Old 2003-11-21, 09:06   Link #12
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Quote:
But why don't you simply try the actual official SUN JDK?
I'm not sure, I might've been using either blackdown or the Sun official one... Version 1.3.1, if I remember correctly.

Quote:
Well, the files get more fragmented, and since they are growing slowly, you don't really know if you may run out of DiskSpace during the download. The old versions allovate everything at the start, so you know immediately if you have enough space.
Err... The Linux version of BT has been like that all the time. Every BT version since I've used it (BT-3.1) has had that feature, but only in the linux version. So that argument is useless for me.

Old 2003-11-21, 11:02   Link #13
u&t

it was version 3.3 that started with the dynamic allocation.

That was also the version that dumbed down the curses client and had me switching over to theshadows client.

Oh and I've heard fragmentation is almost a non-issue when you mount reiserFS with -notail.
Old 2003-11-24, 06:42   Link #14
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Quote:
Well, the BT version I use under Linux (v3.2.1) allocates the file at the start and then it doesn't grow anymore...
Mine doesn't.

~2,3% downloaded.

BT 3.2.1:
Code:
$ ls -sl
total 6144
6144 -rw-r--r--    1 antti    users    245176320 Nov 24 11:41 [Triad-AonE]_Narutaru_01_DVD_[C6655CEF].avi
The first number is in KiB, the second is in bytes. The whole file takes only that 6 MiB.

BT 3.3:
Code:
$ ls -sl
total 6156
6156 -rw-r--r--    1 antti    users     6291456 Nov 24 11:46 [Triad-AonE]_Narutaru_01_DVD_[C6655CEF].avi
The whole file takes the 6 MiB, but this time the total size is wrong (in a way).

The directory where I performed this test on was on an ext3 partition, but the results won't differ in ReiserFS.

Old 2003-11-24, 09:08   Link #15
u&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaamu

The whole file takes the 6 MiB, but this time the total size is wrong (in a way).
I guess the size discrepancy is just a missing piece. Although BT tries to fetch pieces in as a linear fashion as possible it doesn't always succeed.
Old 2003-11-24, 09:42   Link #16
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u&t
I guess the size discrepancy is just a missing piece. Although BT tries to fetch pieces in as a linear fashion as possible it doesn't always succeed.
What I meant by the wrong total size is that the total size should be the size what the complete file will be. In this case, 233 megs, not 6 megs.
Now I have to check with btshowmetainfo.py when I want to see the exact size of a file.

Quote:
Well, the file already has the complete size... so it does allocate it completely at the beginning.
I believe our definitions of completely allocating the file don't match. To me, when a file takes actually that 233 megs space on the filesystem (ie. df output), it is completely allocated. That file only took the 6 megs.

Actually, I would like a BT client that checks only the downloaded part (the 6 megs), but is BT3.2-like in all other aspects.