AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-03-28, 06:22   Link #1
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
"Kadokawa to Merge 9 Subsidiaries Into 1 Company" - From ANN

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...into-1-company

This is what I feared for... Looks like Shana can rub shoulders with Lina Inverse, Louise, and Haruhi Suzumiya side-by-side. But hey, a crossover would be a possibility!

Any reaction to this move by Kadokawa?
__________________
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 06:58   Link #2
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
This is what I feared for... Looks like Shana can rub shoulders with Lina Inverse, Louise, and Haruhi Suzumiya side-by-side. But hey, a crossover would be a possibility!
...So has KuguRie ever voiced two similar characters in the same show?
__________________
My MALLet's do a head count here. We've got a ruthless spearman, a girl with a thousand muskets, a near-psycho fighting for love, and a deity who lives up to her status. You've managed to piss them all off. When they come, and they will, they're coming for you

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ I have an army

We have a Goddess
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 07:32   Link #3
Chaos2Frozen
"Where mah Justice go?!"
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Asylum beyond the Mirror
Age: 26
So they merge to become the Final Boss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
...So has KuguRie ever voiced two similar characters in the same show?
What do you mean two similar characters in the same show ?
__________________
Chaos2Frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 08:04   Link #4
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
...So has KuguRie ever voiced two similar characters in the same show?
No, it's a possibility that she can voice four tsundere characters!

Since it all comes down to this, I hope it doesn't affect the licensing of their light novels (and other merchandise) outside Japan.
__________________
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 08:15   Link #5
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax Send a message via Skype™ to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Since it all comes down to this, I hope it doesn't affect the licensing of their light novels (and other merchandise) outside Japan.
It shouldn't affect licensing since Kadokawa is pretty aggressive at licensing them outside Japan to begin with. In regards to the NA market, the revenue for LNs appear to be about the same as the revenue for manga volumes, but with higher TL costs so it's not profitable for publishers outside certain titles.
__________________

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 09:26   Link #6
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
They could bring their novels worldwide by buying Yen Press and turn into Kadokawa Shoten USA... But then again, there's already an American branch there!

Now then, there's a problem when it comes to media distribution. The management needs to sort it out instead of making factions like "Team Dengeki Bunko" vs "Team Fujimi Shobo" or something.
__________________
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 09:35   Link #7
Sister Princess
Easy Operation
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 30
Cut redunant staff, increase overall pricing due to their system of business... yeah, that sure is a good idea all right.
__________________
PSO2: SisterPrincess (Ship 7)
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 11:44   Link #8
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...into-1-company

This is what I feared for... Looks like Shana can rub shoulders with Lina Inverse, Louise, and Haruhi Suzumiya side-by-side. But hey, a crossover would be a possibility!

Any reaction to this move by Kadokawa?
Don't get what you mean. And just fyi, crossovers between subsidiaries have already been done before, so the possibility has always existed. In fact, collaborations with other publishers/authors not under Kadokawa have also been done before. In fact, I know of one author who's running dual contracts between Fujimi and Kodansha.
__________________
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 13:05   Link #9
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
No, it's a possibility that she can voice four tsundere characters!
You know Lina isn't voiced by Rie, right? She's done by Megumi Hayashibara.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 13:11   Link #10
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
She already had the JC Staff quad-tsun with Shana, Louis, Nagi, and Taiga.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 13:40   Link #11
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
She already had the JC Staff quad-tsun with Shana, Louis, Nagi, and Taiga.
Quintuple-tsun if you count Aria (though she never really got off the grounds the way the other girls did).

As for the merger itself, considering these companies more or less belonged to Kadokawa anyway, I guess this move makes sense businesd-wise.
__________________
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 16:27   Link #12
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Germany
Age: 33
This is too complicated.
Can someone explain what exactly is the difference between being a 'subsidiarie'' and joining the mother company?
Isn't this splitting all just legal mumbo jumbo to get around taxes and stuff? In the end, what the mother company says is law anyways right?
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 16:55   Link #13
TnAdct1
Honya-kun
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Clinton, Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...into-1-company

This is what I feared for... Looks like Shana can rub shoulders with Lina Inverse, Louise, and Haruhi Suzumiya side-by-side. But hey, a crossover would be a possibility!
...and then there's idea of Haruhi Suzimiya meeting with Chiyo's dad (from Azumanga Daioh).
__________________
TnAdct1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-29, 06:35   Link #14
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
As for the merger itself, considering these companies more or less belonged to Kadokawa anyway, I guess this move makes sense businesd-wise.
Agreed, since it's better to have a unified force for distribution than having either Media Factory or Kadokawa Shoten do it separately.
__________________
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 13:44   Link #15
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
This is too complicated.
Can someone explain what exactly is the difference between being a 'subsidiarie'' and joining the mother company?
Isn't this splitting all just legal mumbo jumbo to get around taxes and stuff? In the end, what the mother company says is law anyways right?
The main difference is just branding/marketing. It means that we'll start seeing Kadokawa's brand name on a lot more things. It may not actually even have much legal or tax-related impact, depending on the way it was done behind the scenes.

Since a lot of these brands started off as separate companies that later got bought out, it may be that this points to continued consolidation on the staff level too, and more common practices throughout the company. There can be benefits in keeping separate teams each doing their own things, but also efficiencies in combining teams. As they combine/move staff across the subsidiaries, it will have some impact on the products they produce too. Some time down the road, we may see some of the various magazines be consolidated/eliminated/streamlined by eliminated the less-popular ones and moving the associated content to the more-popular ones. You'll probably also see a lot of tweaking to names too, as they try to put the Kadokawa brand on everything.

In the end, though, probably not too big of an impact on consumers right away, and not really more or less than could have been done already even if they kept all the old names. In the past I sort of thought that they were keeping these brands just to give the perception of increased competition in the market, but really so much of the industry is (already) run by one giant company. Now that'll just be more obvious to us.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 10:08   Link #16
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
...to put the Kadokawa brand on everything.
If they did that, say goodbye to the Dengeki Bunko brand, the largest LN publisher Kadokawa has to offer. It won't be a matter of time if all novels migrate and form a super LN publishing brand.
__________________
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 23:53   Link #17
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
If they did that, say goodbye to the Dengeki Bunko brand, the largest LN publisher Kadokawa has to offer. It won't be a matter of time if all novels migrate and form a super LN publishing brand.
Well, it's the "Ascii Media Works" brand that is disappearing, not necessarily the Dengeki label/imprint.

But I suppose one could argue that, effectively speaking, Kadokawa is already the "super LN publishing brand" now.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-02, 06:32   Link #18
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, it's the "Ascii Media Works" brand that is disappearing, not necessarily the Dengeki label/imprint.

But I suppose one could argue that, effectively speaking, Kadokawa is already the "super LN publishing brand" now.
Yeah, and I could compare it to Shonen Jump or even Volkswagen for that matter. It won't be long if Kadokawa gets all of their novels under one label.

And BTW, will Kadokawa name it as Sneaker Bunko or Beans Bunko?
__________________
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.