AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2014-05-02, 01:08   Link #1
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (2014)

Quote:
Through a trusted source, Destructoid has learned the new Call of Duty, subtitled Advanced Warfare, revolves around a soldier of fortune group run by Spacey's character that has turned on the United States government. As shown in the leaked media attached to this post, players will wear exosuits to jump super high, scale buildings, and cloak themselves. Also, hoverbikes.

(source)

Offical Trailer:

Superpower for hired:

As always, it's a COD game so buyer beware, but that said it's honestly the first COD game that caught my curiosity in a long while only because of the Private Military Companies focus, similar to a certain other game not called Army of Two... Also for the off chance that we get to play the protagonists rebelling against US... Also similar to a certain other game... Lastly, cool visors.

*coughmgsplotwithmgrvisorcough>_>*

EDIT:

Yes, that's Kevin Spacey.

EDIT (2) :

Quote:
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, developed by Sledgehammer Games (co-developers of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3), harnesses the first three-year, all next-gen development cycle in franchise history.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare envisions the powerful battlegrounds of the future, where both technology and tactics have evolved to usher in a new era of combat for the franchise. Delivering a stunning performance, Academy Award winning actor Kevin Spacey stars as Jonathan Irons – one of the most powerful men in the world – shaping this chilling vision of the future of war.

Power Changes Everything.

An Advanced World:

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare takes place in a plausible future in which technological progress and today’s military practices have converged with powerful consequences.
In this carefully researched and crafted vision of the future, Private Military Corporations (PMCs) have become the dominant armed forces for countless nations outsourcing their military needs, redrawing borders and rewriting the rules of war.
And Jonathan Irons, the founder and president of the world’s largest PMC - Atlas Corporation - is at the center of it all.

An Advanced Soldier:
Powerful exoskeletons evolve every aspect of a soldier’s battle readiness, enabling combatants to deploy with an advanced lethality and eliminating the need for specialization.
The introduction of this gameplay mechanic delivers enhanced player movement and verticality through boost jumps and grappling, covert cloaking abilities, and biomechanics that provide unparalleled strength, awareness, endurance, and speed.
With the advent of the exoskeleton and newly advanced armor and weaponry, every soldier commands tactical freedom in any terrain unlike ever before, fundamentally changing the way gamers play Call of Duty across all modes.

An Advanced Arsenal:
Harnessing the power of next-gen platforms, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare brings players into the battlegrounds of the future by boasting a new hi-tech, advanced arsenal and ability set, arming players with all-new equipment, technology, perks, and vehicles like hoverbikes and highly specialized drones.
Players can also choose between standard ammunition and an all-new class of directed-energy weaponry that enables totally new gameplay dynamics.
And with exoskeletons delivering a massive force multiplier and unprecedented tactical freedom, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare evolves every firefight
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-02, 01:41   Link #2
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE Send a message via Skype™ to SOGESNAKE
Gonna be honest... was skimming and all my eyes caught was "Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (2014)... and now I'm really dissapointed...

Either way... looking at it, visually it just looks like the generic shooters than have come out over the years in response to Modern Warfare... but we'll have to see how it goes~
Old 2014-05-02, 01:47   Link #3
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Looks like CoD got a bit Titanfall-ish (powered jumps and parkour) and Crysis-y (exoskeletons with stealth and force multiplication).

Anyway, an exoskeleton could have interesting repercussions on gameplay, but only if it's not for scripted events and more for an open-world environment (multiple routes towards a single objective?). It'd be sad if the vaunted exo abilities would only be showcased during QTEs (remember the hype about Riley in Ghosts? He ended up being nothing more than a breathing UGV/drone for two or three short sequences).

One of the character models in the trailer keeps reminding me of one of Ghosts' protagonists, btw.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-02, 01:54   Link #4
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

^
Wait what? There was a hype for Riley ?

But yeah, PMCs, war economy, Outer Heaven, I know it'll never be that cool, but a part of me is still holding out for "Space Boss" to do it

Old 2014-05-02, 06:01   Link #5
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Say what you will about whatever, but Kevin Spacey dominated his role in that video. Making his character to resemble him makes it all the more awesome.

I too hope the exoskeletons get more than limited special scene uses int he game, but I doubt they'd overlook spicing up multiplayer gameplay with them, even if it does make it look like they're ripping off of a certain other game.
Old 2014-05-02, 09:17   Link #6
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Milking the franchise for all of it's worth ehh?
Old 2014-05-02, 11:49   Link #7
T-6000

FINALLY a Call of Duty game with some science fiction elements! Well.....there was Black Ops 2 but it was set in the near future and much of the Sci-Fi was grounded n real world politics.

The overall plot (assuming Destructoid's "source" is true) does remind me of the F.E.A.R. series and Crysis series (well, Crysis 2 and 3) In F.E.A.R. the corporation ATC may not have "overthrown" the U.S. Government, but they sure act like they are above the law. They go as far as attack F.E.A.R. units and U.S. Special forces to cover up their dirty secrets, and the U.S. Government *still* haven't closed them down or even taken them to court! And then there is Crysis 2 and 3, where C.E.L.L. tend to get away with alot until towards the end of Crysis 2 but in the events of Crysis 3, they more or less not only subverted the U.S. Government but are a supreme world power.

The story is pretty intriguing. Sure, FEAR and Crysis already explored the idea of corporate run PMCs but it's an idea that hasn't been explored much. I actually see growing influence of Corporate run PMCs as a possible danger, and besides I'm getting sick of the stereotypical "Russians, Chinese, and Arabs as the bad guys". The gameplay side of things, I'm hoping Sledgehammer will at least make it fun. At least, make the weapons look, sound, and feel satisfying. This one of my complaints about the Modern Warfare series in the COD universe, the Weapons sound and feel like the are plastic BB guns. The weapons in Battlefield 3 and 4 look, sound, and feel great. And Crytech did a good job with the weapons in Crysis 2 & 3. And for the love of all that's holy, PLEASE incorporate Weapons attachments on the fly! The Crysis series does this, and brings some variety for your weapons! Hell, Crytech continues with this tradition in Warface.

I'm gonna wait and see what this COD game has to offer, but already it's got my interest. And for a COD game, that's saying something.
Old 2014-05-02, 12:42   Link #8
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

^You mean Crytek GmbH. Crynet is the name of the (fictional) corporation that manufactures nanosuits in Crysis 2/3.

Oh, and here's the boxart, from Amazon UK:

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-02, 12:47   Link #9
Orattvisa

Seriously? Right after a certain other game was released?

Ignoring that, we still have the title... The trailer do look impressive though.
Orattvisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-02, 12:48   Link #10
T-6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
^You mean Crytek GmbH. Crynet is the name of the (fictional) corporation that manufactures nanosuits in Crysis 2/3.

Oops, my mistake. Damn, I *always* get those two mixed up! I fixed it.
Old 2014-05-02, 12:57   Link #11
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

The Age of Sci-Fi seems to have returned after years of modern day shooters.

Quote:

I could have sworn the exo-skeleton armor in the trailer looked cooler
Old 2014-05-02, 13:04   Link #12
Orattvisa

Quote:

That looks like a skinner version of the exosuit used in the movie "Day of Tomorrow". Which makes it quite grounded in realism in terms of design, since the movie actually references real world exo-skeleton prototypes.
Orattvisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-02, 14:05   Link #13
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Kevin Spacey FTW!
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-02, 14:08   Link #14
T-6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orattvisa View Post
That looks like a skinner version of the exosuit used in the movie "Day of Tomorrow". Which makes it quite grounded in realism in terms of design, since the movie actually references real world exo-skeleton prototypes.
I was actually thinking more along the lines of those exosuits from the new Robocop movie. If you'll be using those in the game, I wonder if you'll be able to have special abilities (similar to what the Nanosuit in the Crysis series provides) such as enhanced strength, speed, and endurance?
Old 2014-05-02, 14:27   Link #15
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Looks quite impressive, has a lot of influences. However, I feel that it will retain that Call of Duty feeling that many love.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-02, 14:43   Link #16
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
Looks quite impressive, has a lot of influences. However, I feel that it will retain that Call of Duty feeling that many love.
Or grown to hate. I can't be the only one suffering from COD fatigue.

That's just the feeling I get. Same-old-same-old dressed up in the shiny new coat of Guns Of the Patri- uh, I mean Metal Gea- uh, future thingamies.

War...war never changes. Or does it? Yes, it definitely does..or does it?
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-02, 15:00   Link #17
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

This is the cod I wanted 10 years ago, its a bit too late to care about now though.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-02, 15:10   Link #18
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
Or grown to hate. I can't be the only one suffering from COD fatigue.

That's just the feeling I get. Same-old-same-old dressed up in the shiny new coat of Guns Of the Patri- uh, I mean Metal Gea- uh, future thingamies.

War...war never changes. Or does it? Yes, it definitely does..or does it?
The thing about the fatigue is people play Call of Duty the same way all the time from every game. My friend who gave up on Call of Duty plays just frontal assault gear on every Call of Duty. I played most Call of Duty and haven't face that fatigue. I like to always customized my loadouts playing all sorts of tactics from Stealth, Frontal Assault, or Guerilla. Of coarse, there are new maps and new exploits in every game that makes the experiences very fun. Its only boring if I play an enemy where I can predict every single time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
This is the cod I wanted 10 years ago, its a bit too late to care about now though.
Give it 6 month of so, details persist that this game is the make or break for Sledgehammer, basically they put their name and effort in this game. If they fail, they get ousted from Activision, if they succeed, then its new innovation or as they put it "ambitious".
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-02, 15:18   Link #19
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
The thing about the fatigue is people play Call of Duty the same way all the time from every game. My friend who gave up on Call of Duty plays just frontal assault gear on every Call of Duty. I played most Call of Duty and haven't face that fatigue. I like to always customized my loadouts playing all sorts of tactics from Stealth, Frontal Assault, or Guerilla. Of coarse, there are new maps and new exploits in every game that makes the experiences very fun. Its only boring if I play an enemy where I can predict every single time.
I know what you're talking about, and trust me, it isn't that. The core gameplay, the core twitch shooter is still the same thing it was back when I was playing MW and MW2; same shooting-gallery levels interspersed with cinematic moments for campaigns, same competitive multiplayer with the leveling system and unlockables that I really can't be bothered to put so much time in anymore. I tried to get back into it with BLOPS2, touted as the most "original" of the recent COD incarnations, and even that failed to inspire any fun for me, so there's nothing else but to admit that I'm simply too tired of the COD formula, and should just move on to other pastures. There's always a market around for COD, but I've stayed around long enough in it already.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-02, 15:24   Link #20
T-6000

It looks like those suits you wear in this new Call of Duty *WILL* Give you enhanced Physical abilities, on top of being able to cloak! Sort of like the Nanosuits from the Crysis series.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/02/mo...-at-amazon-uk/