AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2013-08-19, 04:09   Link #361
haru_san
owns them all

Send a message via Skype™ to haru_san
the rage >.>
why would annie and the rest do that .-.

Last edited by haru_san; 2013-09-09 at 16:15.
haru_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 03:25   Link #362
ginger02

There something I've been wondering.
In the manga, folks already know more about the smarter titans and who they are. I was wondering, for those ones, are their motivations revealed? Do they know what they are doing when they transform, and sort of play a role as a double agent, or is it something else?
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 04:20   Link #363
haru_san
owns them all

if you are talking about annie and the rest then no we dont know yet all what we know is they want to return to their village.
Old 2013-08-20, 13:45   Link #364
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger02 View Post
There something I've been wondering.
In the manga, folks already know more about the smarter titans and who they are. I was wondering, for those ones, are their motivations revealed? Do they know what they are doing when they transform, and sort of play a role as a double agent, or is it something else?
They are indeed aware of what they are doing when they transform.
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-21, 08:43   Link #365
ginger02

Quote:
Originally Posted by haru_san View Post
if you are talking about annie and the rest then no we dont know yet all what we know is they want to return to their village.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
They are indeed aware of what they are doing when they transform.
Ahh thanks. So we as the audience know they know what they're doing, we just don't know why yet. I guess that would be a very major reveal.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-22, 15:17   Link #366
kitten320

Which I honestly can't wait to find out. I want to know how justified their actions really are and for what purpose did they betray people they started to care about.
Old 2013-08-23, 15:26   Link #367
haru_san
owns them all

i think ymir knows more then anyone in this i mean what happened in the last chapter TITANS ARE NOT SO BAD O_O
Old 2013-08-23, 17:08   Link #368
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
i think ymir knows more then anyone in this i mean what happened in the last chapter TITANS ARE NOT SO BAD O_O
If you can ignore the fact that they eat people, sure they aren't doing many bad things... apart that "bit".

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 04:20   Link #369
Raviel

^You.........look like you aren't a manga reader.

If you don't want spoilers you might wanna stay away from this thread since it covers both the anime and manga (I think).
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 04:48   Link #370
Kiltias

Quote:
That's just Ymirs personality.

"Your mom was a Titan?How come your such a midget?!BWAHAHAHAHA"
"Oh Reiner, sneaking up with dirty intentions on girls at night?"
"When this is over lets get married./Ymir uses lick"

Has no meaning, Ymir is known for her bullshitting, Connie even once commented on the fact she does this often back in Trost.
"She's bullshitting even harder than usual" or something in that likes.

On a different note:

What do you people think:
Science Approach or Mythical Approach or Mix of both?
Cause Christa has clear indications of the Norse Valkyrie who decide if brave souls wander to Valhalla to fight alongside the Gods against Giants.

I mean:
Valkyries:
Noble
Connection with Horses (This was pointed out by Reiner when she brought the Horses."Horses seem to take a liking to you"
Names match the role they play
Valkyries are often Blonde and Blue Eyed.
One poem refers to them as Goddesses.
They are often depicted as Angels.
There is not a single account of a Valkyrie fighting.
Reiner even says "We escaped certain Death thanks to you", Valkyries make the decisions which soldiers die and live.
And if I wanna go far fetched:
Valkyrie Profile (Ps1 game) where you play as the Valkyrie collecting souls for Valhalla, one of the catch phrases is "You'll face certain Death!" though that may be more a coincidence.

I mean thing is:
Giants vs Gods.
For example, Odin is the ruler, perceptive, cunning to the extreme symbolizing the Wild Hunt.
Spoiler for Hunt:

Last edited by Kiltias; 2013-09-02 at 05:23.
Kiltias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 15:48   Link #371
Breimoon

umh, don't think we are going with odin since we have yet to see a one eyed person. And no one with a hammer/polearm yet. I think this is going to go as mix of science and myth . I am still awaiting for any SkÝ­bla­nir hints (boat ).
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 11:25   Link #372
Courthead

My guess is that we're more likely to get some sort of biological/science-y explanation than a mythical one. Why?

First, Eren's dad was able to transform Eren from a normal boy into a titan-transformer seemingly by using some sort of injection. Plus it was stated that Ymir "stole" the titan-transformation technology from the warrior clan.

But even more telling is the existence of Hanji. I feel as if her character and the events concerning her exist for the sole purpose of discovering the physical reality behind the titans. I mean for one, she's obsessed with experimenting on titans. Two, her experiments were deemed dangerous enough that Annie undertook a huge risk to put an end to them. And there's been some foreshadowing when she said that the titans' bodies were too lightweight to make any sense, and asked, "What if the true nature of these creatures is completely different from what they appear to us?"

Before the manga comes to an end, I really think that we'll get some sort of explanation that's more likely to involve science/biology/aliens/technology than magic/supernatural powers.
Courthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 11:48   Link #373
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Probably science, but on a level indistinguishable from magic

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 17:35   Link #374
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courthead View Post

First, Eren's dad was able to transform Eren from a normal boy into a titan-transformer seemingly by using some sort of injection. Plus it was stated that Ymir "stole" the titan-transformation technology from the warrior clan.
Bert, Reiner and Annie's friend was ate by Ymir. Bert and Reiner imply no hard feelings as they've gone through the same thing. You start out as a mindless Titan killing and eating a Shifter one returns to consciousness.

All Titans are humans but usually you don't wake up from the dream.

Bert, Reiner and Ymir assume the same conditions apply to Eren but no Eren did not go through the same thing as them.

During the first and second transformations he was unconscious. The first one he wanted to kill all Titans. The second he wants his family that includes Mikasa, his Titan form interprets that to hit Mikasa.

So Titans eating Humans boils down to two things. The need for human companionship but since they are asleep their Titan forms translates to eating humans or killing them. The instinct to wake up as the one in the million chance of eating a Shifter allow such.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 19:47   Link #375
Kiltias

This is nice to have around.
Credits go to Beatrice on MH.

Quote:

Chapter 42 has this tag of "Unusual Times"

Titan Sighting/Mikes Death.Midafternoon according to Nanaba.

3 Hours After Titan sighting - North Squad, Sasha's "Duel"
---
3 Hours after Titan sighting - West Squad, Nanaba proposes to go South to help the South Squad.
---
3 Hours after Titan sighting - South Squad, Connie arrives at his village.
---
5 Hours After Titan sighting - Stationary Troops, 1st Division,Easter line of Defense/Trost, Rico and Verman fend off the Titans coming from west.Rico comments there "Is something..."
---
5 Hours After Titan sighting - Report to Hermiha/Wall Sina (North of Trost). There were 4 messengers."Titans appear from the Southwest"
---
6 Hours after Titan sighting - Stationary Troops - Wall Rose Counter Squad.Hannes commented that he has not encountered a single Titan.He came east, from Trost, heading west, moving along the wall so he was as south as it gets.The Vanguard from Chlorba (West of Trost) found no Titans either.Utgard lies between those two.No Breach found.
---
9 Hours after Titan sighting - South Squad unites with the West Squad.No Breach was found.The united Squads find Utgard.
---
18 Hours After Titan sighting - Hanji orders to head to Utgard followed by Mikasa and Eren.
---
20 Hours after Titan sighting - Hanji,Eren,Nick,Mikasa,Armin and Levi are within Wall Sina,on their way to pass through Hermiha, heading to Utgard.
---
20 Hours after Titan sighting - Utgard is surrounded by Titans.Nanaba,Henning,Rene and Gerger die.
Midafternoon, isn't that around 3pm?
And 20 hours after that wouldn't that make around 11am?
It's still dark though at 20h events.
Kiltias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 04:08   Link #376
erhyka

I haven't read the earlier mangas, but has there been anything hinting that Eren's dad might have done something to Mikasa like injecting her with anything? Reason is, I'm curious how she became such a physically strong soldier?

When Eren kept shouting at her to fight her reaction just seemed "suspiciously dramatic" and same description goes for when her survival fighting instinct kicked in after she was ready to give up her life after Armin tells her that Eren died saving him. I have this strong feeling that Eren's dad had something to do with this.

I was on another forum where people theorized that time travel is involved in all of this. If so I hope it's done tastefully. Adding time travel in a story is a bit difficult to pull as things can easily get confusing and a lot of times more questions arise (sometimes as a result of plot holes) than there are answers.

Also I posted this on the episode 22 discussion, but I found it odd when Levi was surprised that the one that was chasing after Annie and Eren was Mikasa. He was in the court during the trial and he also saw and heard her talking to Eren, Armin, and the others, calling him a midget and how she'll make him pay for beating Eren up so he should be aware that she was in survey corps. Mikasa was going to be sold as a slave and Levi used to work in the underground market. Could it be that there is a connection between Mikasa's past and Levi's past?

Edit: Hmm but the whole kidnapping thing happened 6 years ago so ehhh that theory probably flies out the window.

Last edited by erhyka; 2013-09-11 at 05:03.
erhyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 21:42   Link #377
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO

^ 1. I only remember Mikasa somehow gained "total control" over her body, in her kidnapped flashback (whether this was in the manga or not is open to more research, I'm not feeling up to it atm).

2. Time travel... now that's one of the earliest (and wildest) theories I remember. I really doubt this is time travel; the only other explanation is dream/nightmare/hallucination, which was sorta confirmed when Ymir said she had a nightmare for 60 years roaming around (from memory, but someone can go check).

3. I've totally forgotten about Levi's underground past. If there's a connection to Mikasa's kidnapping, Isayama would probably use this to construct a love-hate relationship with Levi (Eren be his bitch too yo). I can't see Mikasa holding a grudge against Levi, since thankfully Isayama is a decent enough writer to know NOT to make a Mikasasuke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
So Titans eating Humans boils down to two things. The need for human companionship but since they are asleep their Titan forms translates to eating humans or killing them. The instinct to wake up as the one in the million chance of eating a Shifter allow such.
Titans need love too, bro.
Old 2013-09-14, 20:37   Link #378
normp571

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxorMG View Post
^ 1. I only remember Mikasa somehow gained "total control" over her body, in her kidnapped flashback (whether this was in the manga or not is open to more research, I'm not feeling up to it atm).

2. Time travel... now that's one of the earliest (and wildest) theories I remember. I really doubt this is time travel; the only other explanation is dream/nightmare/hallucination, which was sorta confirmed when Ymir said she had a nightmare for 60 years roaming around (from memory, but someone can go check).

3. I've totally forgotten about Levi's underground past. If there's a connection to Mikasa's kidnapping, Isayama would probably use this to construct a love-hate relationship with Levi (Eren be his bitch too yo). I can't see Mikasa holding a grudge against Levi, since thankfully Isayama is a decent enough writer to know NOT to make a Mikasasuke.

Titans need love too, bro.
Actually, new manga is coming out that will detail Levi's past it is going to be a shoujo manga, unlike the shonen mangas Attack on Titan, and Attack on Titan: Before the Fall.
normp571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-15, 04:14   Link #379
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Interesting ... Today (after seeing the episode) ... I totally realized the reason Annie successfully decapitated Eren is because he froze up after realizing that Female Titan's fighting stance is the same as Annie's ...

Glad to see the anime was more lenient on the subject though... Unlike the manga, they didn't conceal a few details during the battle. Thus, if you put one and two together ... You could argue the reveal was much earlier.

Funny how he later derped and forgot everything ... Typical Eren and his amnesia. He acted so surprised later on, even though he should have known.
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-15, 06:15   Link #380
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruyasha View Post
Interesting ... Today (after seeing the episode) ... I totally realized the reason Annie successfully decapitated Eren is because he froze up after realizing that Female Titan's fighting stance is the same as Annie's ...

Glad to see the anime was more lenient on the subject though... Unlike the manga, they didn't conceal a few details during the battle. Thus, if you put one and two together ... You could argue the reveal was much earlier.

Funny how he later derped and forgot everything ... Typical Eren and his amnesia. He acted so surprised later on, even though he should have known.
He didn't forget it.

Spoiler for Manga Comparison:
chaos_alfa is online now   Reply With Quote