AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-06-17, 08:02   Link #41
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Kodansha USA is using "Yeager" as the official spelling of Eren's surname. But nobody thinks it's a valid transliteration.

Jäger and Jaeger are the most widely accepted.
Yes I heard it was Kodansha, but if it was only Kondansha 'USA', then it is meaningless.
Typical for American companies... have to "americanize" everything

But I wonder which name the mangaka would chose for "latin latters version"
__________________
Due to certain circumstances I am now the "Imouto Instructor"
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 23:39   Link #42
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: with Maki-sama
Age: 22
I just see episode 11 and it surprised me that Eren attack Mikasa but with that I realized something Eren when it becomes Titan are dominated by his anger, the first time he turns he was angry against the Titans then his second transformation he had some anger against Mikasa so that's why he'll attack
maybe XD
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic211239_32.gif
Chiaki_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 10:55   Link #43
Parchevich
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Age: 22
So is Eren confirmed to be a Turkish name?

This Tumblr post that's been linked to death says it is, but it sounds to me it could just be a phonetic rendering of Ehren. But I'm not an Authority on All Things German, while the chick in that post sounds very confident. I haven't been able to find any other sources that would back her up though.
Parchevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 13:11   Link #44
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth
Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parchevich View Post
So is Eren confirmed to be a Turkish name?

This Tumblr post that's been linked to death says it is, but it sounds to me it could just be a phonetic rendering of Ehren. But I'm not an Authority on All Things German, while the chick in that post sounds very confident. I haven't been able to find any other sources that would back her up though.
Everything in regards to character's name meaning is all just assumption. As long as the author doesn't come out and say where he took the naming from, or blatantly tell the readers about "the long ass explanation of why I name them as *insert names*", it is bullshit to claim confidently that "my thinking is correct".

For all we know, the author may actually think of Eren's (エレン) English romanization as Ellen, originally (Of course this is hyperbolic example, considering how he spells Levi as Rivai--i.e: how to read "Levi" in Leviathan. What is stopping him from actually using the non-usual spelling for エレン? )

And about whether the tumblr poster is completely correct or not in her naming source (No, Jan-Poo, not arguing with you~):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Kodansha USA is using "Yeager" as the official spelling of Eren's surname. But nobody thinks it's a valid transliteration.

Jäger and Jaeger are the most widely accepted.
The tumblr poster didn't think of the possibility that the official translator (I'm 99% sure that the twitter's editor takes directly the naming from Kodansha US translation lol) is streamlining the Germanic pronunciation/punctuation in American English.

Think about it, how would you read Jaeger in English pronounciation? Definitely not the same as the Germanic way, no? The "J" is supposed to be spelled as "Y", and it phonetically is "Yeager".

Assuming Chuck Yeager being the reference for Eren's surname is just that, an assumption. Same with Berthort (and 'Fubar' interpretation; yeah I know Hoover/Huber is the more correct counterpart as far as it goes), Jean, Annie and all the characters unless it is a blatant reference (say, Leonhart)

P.S: May have gone a bit offtopic in thesecond part, ugh tired
__________________

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 16:03   Link #45
Parchevich
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Age: 22
Ah, I see, thank you for the explanation. I was wondering if the author had indeed talked about some of the character names at some point.
Parchevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 18:55   Link #46
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Moe Land
Age: 33
I always disliked it when Eren kept saying to Mikasa your not my sister nor my family.

I'd love to punch him in the face for that.
__________________
Vampire+Sisters
kenjiharima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 19:04   Link #47
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
I always disliked it when Eren kept saying to Mikasa your not my sister nor my family.

I'd love to punch him in the face for that.
Eren might go a bit far with his words, but he is not the only one to blame. Mikasa is far too overprotective. From our perspective it doesn't look like much, but for Eren, who had Mikasa near him all the time, her overprotectiveness simply became too much.
__________________
Due to certain circumstances I am now the "Imouto Instructor"
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 21:26   Link #48
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York, USA
Mikasa is too clingy and treats him like a child that can't survive/do anything without her around. Of course Eren would be frustrated about her being like that. Not to mention that it can be embarrassing when she does that in public.
Welsh_Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 01:00   Link #49
Parchevich
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh_Dragon View Post
Mikasa is too clingy and treats him like a child that can't survive/do anything without her around. Of course Eren would be frustrated about her being like that. Not to mention that it can be embarrassing when she does that in public.
Yeah, but she's kinda right. The first time he went into combat, he got eaten. He's not nearly as capable as he imagines himself to be.
Parchevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 01:54   Link #50
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parchevich View Post
Yeah, but she's kinda right. The first time he went into combat, he got eaten. He's not nearly as capable as he imagines himself to be.
He survived it, didn't he?

Point is, when you go into combat you risk not getting out. But they've both got their duties and Mikasa can't blow hers off just to stay with him, no matter how much she thinks he needs it. And he can't hide behind her skits either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
I always disliked it when Eren kept saying to Mikasa your not my sister nor my family.

I'd love to punch him in the face for that.
He never said that. He said "I'm neither your little brother nor your son". What he means is that they're peers, not child and baby-sitter. Which is true.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 04:01   Link #51
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parchevich View Post
Yeah, but she's kinda right. The first time he went into combat, he got eaten. He's not nearly as capable as he imagines himself to be.
Yeah, but that was because he rushed into chasing after that Titan that ate Thomas and I think he thought he could save him if he got to him fast enough. When he actually takes the time think he can be capable. He still has room for growth in keeping his emotions in check and planning things out. But for now he will just take the reckless course of action every time. He could learn a thing or two from Armin.
Welsh_Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 04:47   Link #52
Parchevich
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He survived it, didn't he?

Point is, when you go into combat you risk not getting out. But they've both got their duties and Mikasa can't blow hers off just to stay with him, no matter how much she thinks he needs it. And he can't hide behind her skits either.


He never said that. He said "I'm neither your little brother nor your son". What he means is that they're peers, not child and baby-sitter. Which is true.
He survived it because of his Dad, not on his own merit.

You're disregarding Mikasa's priorities here. She doesn't give a rodent's rear about duty, being a good soldier, or the realities of combat. The only reason she enlisted is to minimize the inevitable risk Eren was going to be in. Plus she's just experienced the aftermath of Eren's death, it should be perfectly understandable that she's especially twitchy at the thought of him being on his own.

It does hurt her relationship with Eren somewhat, of course. But right now she can't help it as her whole life and happiness is centered on his existence. It's unhealthy as heck, but it seems to be her way of coping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh_Dragon View Post
Yeah, but that was because he rushed into chasing after that Titan that ate Thomas and I think he thought he could save him if he got to him fast enough. When he actually takes the time think he can be capable. He still has room for growth in keeping his emotions in check and planning things out. But for now he will just take the reckless course of action every time. He could learn a thing or two from Armin.
Sure, but who's to say he won't go rushing to danger for some other irrational reason again. Mikasa has no reason to think he's learned from last time, and the stakes are too big here.
Parchevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 04:57   Link #53
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parchevich View Post
He survived it because of his Dad, not on his own merit.
He didn't almost die because a titan caught him (though he lost a leg). He almost died because he tried to save Armin. At the end he even made the right choice, because now both are saved, even if it was just luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parchevich View Post
You're disregarding Mikasa's priorities here. She doesn't give a rodent's rear about duty, being a good soldier, or the realities of combat. The only reason she enlisted is to minimize the inevitable risk Eren was going to be in. Plus she's just experienced the aftermath of Eren's death, it should be perfectly understandable that she's especially twitchy at the thought of him being on his own.

It does hurt her relationship with Eren somewhat, of course. But right now she can't help it as her whole life and happiness is centered on his existence. It's unhealthy as heck, but it seems to be her way of coping.
Have you ever witnessed a young man having an overly attached mother? Even if the mother has good intentions, the son will always reject that "love", because it becomes annoying and is hurting the son's pride. Now add to the mix that that "mother" is actually his age... Eren must feel as if he is being dragged down all the time, escpacially considering his ambition to scout the "outside world".
__________________
Due to certain circumstances I am now the "Imouto Instructor"
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 07:08   Link #54
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parchevich View Post
You're disregarding Mikasa's priorities here.
But those very priorities are what make Eren's angry.
It's not like Eren doesn't know that those are Mikasa's priorities, but those are objectively wrong for a sworn soldier.
Humanity doesn't expend its limited resources to train, feed and equip people so that they can later do whatever they want.

Eren can't really approve of Mikasa ignoring her duties as a soldier to protect him. We have seen that when she wanted to be with him even if the orders were for her to protect the citizens. In the end Mikasa agreed, which means she can be reasoned with to a certain extent.
So Eren keeps telling her to act more like a soldier and less like a mother, and if he didn't, Mikasa would probably become even worse and that would probably lead her to the court martial for insubordination or desertion (she's been quite close to that already).
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 17:45   Link #55
Parchevich
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Age: 22
You guys are arguing against something I didn't say. I get why Eren is angry and find his reaction both believable in general and in character for him.

What I was saying is that Mikasa definitely has her reasons to be overprotective. She's not some clingy girlfriend hanging onto a guy just to fulfill a stereotype, she's a damaged person with a human anchor that keeps running into danger. We get a whole host of reactions to trauma and long-term danger in this series - this happens to be Mikasa's.
Parchevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 17:51   Link #56
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parchevich View Post
You guys are arguing against something I didn't say. I get why Eren is angry and find his reaction both believable in general and in character for him.

What I was saying is that Mikasa definitely has her reasons to be overprotective. She's not some clingy girlfriend hanging onto a guy just to fulfill a stereotype, she's a damaged person with a human anchor that keeps running into danger. We get a whole host of reactions to trauma and long-term danger in this series - this happens to be Mikasa's.
Oh, sorry. I accidently mixed you up with kenjiharima
__________________
Due to certain circumstances I am now the "Imouto Instructor"
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
characters

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.