AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-09-11, 16:10   Link #1281
Irenesharda

This was a pretty good episode, and it looks like we're finally going to get to the bottom of what happened between Rin and the rest of his team. Sometimes it really takes an outsider looking in, and we have that in the form of Rei, who unfortunately has found that he is kind of a place-holder on a team that has a phantom member, and he wants to know who Rin is, why the 4 have this relationship and what happened to them all.

This is helped through flashbacks and we can see that Rin was a pretty fun, pretty cute kid, fangs and all. He seemed to do his best to make friend and create a swim team. In fact he really admired Haru, and it was really Haru who was kind of being standoffish with his "I only swim free" stance. However, in the end, they became really close and one of the best swim teams ever. Rin had a close relationship with them and even told them his father's story and his dream and that Rin was trying to share that dream as well. And all the way up until he left, the four ended up being really close.

However, we notice that it wasn't until Rin returns from his sojourn in Australia, that he see that he's changed. He's become colder, harder, more competitive, and instead of purely admiring Haru, he now what's to beat him, to prove something to himself. However, when we see him lose this time, it's almost like that was the last straw and it broke something within him that had already been cracked. And we see him declare that he will give up swimming altogether.

My question is, what happened out there in Australia? For whatever happened there seems to be at the crux of the situation. Something happened there that broke or damaged Rin's spirit and changed him into the man we see today, shark-teeth and all. Hopefully Rei will be able to get the whole story before we have these last two final episodes.

This was a pretty good insight episode with some funny moments. Them finally finding out about the swimsuit modeling. Seeing Rin and Nagisa as kids was adorable. And shouta Nagisa was one of the cutest things ever seen!

I give this episode a 7.8/10.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 16:49   Link #1282
Endless Knackwurst
Clumsy Valkyrie Pilot

The preview voice-over was hilarious.

Rei is very much the fifth wheel in this, I can understand why he's a little sore about it.
Old 2013-09-11, 17:06   Link #1283
LKK

So much goodness in this episode! I give voice acting kudos to Gou ... uh, I mean young Rin as voiced by Gou's seiyuu. I also give kudos to Rei's seiyuu. The pain in his voice at being constantly reminded that he's still an outsider to the group he's worked so hard to join nearly brought me to tears.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 18:03   Link #1284
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I was under the impression it was the death of his father that shaped Rin into the man he is now, but he actually remained a very nice kid even after it. It was Australia that changed him.

Ama-chan-sensei's secret is finally out, and we got to see juicy illustrations of her in swimsuits. Who said this series only caters to girls? There may only be two female characters in this show, but they're so good it's more than enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
My question is, what happened out there in Australia? For whatever happened there seems to be at the crux of the situation. Something happened there that broke or damaged Rin's spirit and changed him into the man we see today, shark-teeth and all. Hopefully Rei will be able to get the whole story before we have these last two final episodes.
I'm guessing he encountered incredibly strong opponents in Australia and it broke his spirit. Losing to Haru, who doesn't even care about winning plunged him into even deeper despair. I'm more curious about what or who got him back into swimming. He told Haru he would quit swimming yet he is still there, more tenacious than ever. Something must have happened. It was this event that turned him into the ruthless shark he is today.
Old 2013-09-11, 20:01   Link #1285
Kirarakim

Rin was such an adorable kid. Hopefully he can get back that happiness & spirit he seems to have lost.
Old 2013-09-11, 20:15   Link #1286
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Great episode! Looks like we're about to see why Rin went from cutie pie to becoming a huge pain.

Good for Rei speaking up; I'd be annoyed and a little pissed too if everyone kept talking about how great X was all the time and if I always felt like an outsider. I get the feeling though that he and Rin probably would get along really well in that 'They fight but they're bros' sort of way...

I still can't believe that's Makoto's VA basically singing the OP. I hear that song and I think of Hasebe from SxS.
Old 2013-09-11, 20:55   Link #1287
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Thank to ecchi magazines and the wind Miho secret is out but got to say Gorou isnt dosnt hide his stuff
Old 2013-09-11, 21:31   Link #1288
Endless Knackwurst
Clumsy Valkyrie Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Thank to ecchi magazines and the wind Miho secret is out but got to say Gorou isnt dosnt hide his stuff
Well, at least she kept her swimsuit on for those magazines. Or at least for the parts of those magazines that we saw.
Old 2013-09-11, 21:39   Link #1289
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

LOL at the coach: 'I've been a big fan of yours, Marin-chan'

Sensei: >< Let's not talk about that!
Old 2013-09-11, 21:43   Link #1290
king12354

I can understand Rei's feelings of not comprehending their situation.

Too much focus on the boring relationship between Rin and the rest and not enough of real plot.
king12354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 21:52   Link #1291
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
And hopefully he can keep a secret or she'd probably lose her job.

Props to Rei for confronting them about Rin. It's like the team can't let go. It's bad for team bonding for them to continue to act that way. Rin's gone and they need to move on already.
Old 2013-09-11, 22:03   Link #1292
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Yeah. It's not like Rin's going to suddenly come back to Iwatobi.

I think that captain who likes Gou is noticing something; he was eyeing Rin after Rin brushed off that little kouhai that idolizes him.
Old 2013-09-11, 22:21   Link #1293
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
The preview voice-over was hilarious.
I played it over so many times. I was thoroughly entertained by it.
Old 2013-09-11, 22:23   Link #1294
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Spoiler:
Old 2013-09-11, 22:43   Link #1295
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Another very strong episode of Free. I agree with everything that Irenesharda said about it.

That being said, Kanon is probably right about the gist of what occurred in Australia. Though I am curious to know if there is more to it than that alone (perhaps Rin was the victim of teasing or bullying on the part of better swimmers; maybe he even faced some anti-Japanese racism, though admittedly this is all speculation on my part).

This latest episode did a great job of raising Rei beyond the comic relief role that he's been forced to play throughout almost all of this anime thus far. I was honestly impressed with how Rei just kept asserting himself and his angry confusion over his teammates' lingering attachment to Rin. And then Rei heading off on his own to confront Rin, that was downright badass. For a guy that's a very analytical thinker by nature, he's also rather hot-blooded in his own way. He wears his emotions on his sleeve, much to the contrast of Haru.

As for the flashback scenes, those were a real treat to watch. Rin was a great, giddy, gregarious kid. Fast and smooth thinker, very extroverted, very talkative, a definitely strong personality and presence. He clearly has the sort of outgoing personality that calls for camaraderie and friendship in life. Which is probably why he's been so rough around the edges throughout most of this show - He's not getting the social life that he needs.

After seeing Rin as both a kid and a teenager, I think he'd be a perfect match for K-On's Ritsu. Kid!Rin has a personality a lot like Ritsu's.
Old 2013-09-11, 22:56   Link #1296
whitecloud

Past was revealed in this episode.....marin chan has nice body...so she is a gravure idol, as we all thought, so where is the more risque photo?

She should thanks her luck this is not some H doujin...if not either some blackmail, or semi voluntary scenario will occur....
Old 2013-09-12, 02:49   Link #1297
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Boring. Rei is just an annoying character who should never have been in this show. He's nothing but a clumsy buffoon. The character sports drama they have going on here is also pretty lackluster because Haru simply lacks depth and nuance. Rin has more going on for his character than Haru, and coupled with the lack of any insight into Haru's thoughts other than the silliness of last episode, the rivalry feels way too one sided.

This deep into the run of this show I cannot see Free! as anything but mediocre, forgettable drivel. While it was funny and interesting in a way to get some insight into the more disgusting side of the anime fandom over this show, that alone is not enough to warrant the creation of it. I don't care if there's beef cake if you can have a real story with good characters, but it's just too empty. I wish the guys in this show were closer to Tsuritama than they were to the girls in a K-ON! style show. We get so few shows like this simply about guys that it is a bit disappointing that it's just pandering bull crap like the other side of the fandom.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 07:23   Link #1298
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
Past was revealed in this episode.....marin chan has nice body...so she is a gravure idol, as we all thought, so where is the more risque photo?

She should thanks her luck this is not some H doujin...if not either some blackmail, or semi voluntary scenario will occur....
But would only lead to both of them getting fired from their respective jobs and possibly some jail time. Or the swim coach getting his butt kicked. This isn't that type of a show.
Old 2013-09-12, 07:53   Link #1299
Dr. Casey

Do you mean to say that the teacher's history as a dirty magazine pinup would get her in trouble? To my understanding, her stint as a gravure idol is over now and likely came to an end before becoming a teacher. Japan can be a strict country in some respects, but I certainly hope that they wouldn't jail someone for past behavior that was perfectly, 100% legal at the time he or she did it.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 08:02   Link #1300
Sound of Azure
...Is that so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Do you mean to say that the teacher's history as a dirty magazine pinup would get her in trouble? To my understanding, her stint as a gravure idol is over now and likely came to an end before becoming a teacher. Japan can be a strict country in some respects, but I certainly hope that they wouldn't jail someone for past behavior that was perfectly, 100% legal at the time he or she did it.
Probably not jail-type trouble. More like parents worrying about her being a bad influence, then the school firing her to keep up appearances.
Sound of Azure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs, fabulous, sports, water animation