AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Old 2013-04-09, 12:35   Link #1
TinyRedLeaf
On indefinite hiatus

Journey

A journey begins...

...the first steps...

...a tribute to those who preceded us.

Stat sua cuique dies
Stat sua cuique dies
Maél is mé tó féran

ὤλετο μέν μοι νόστος
ὤλετο μέν μοι νόστος
C'est pour cela que je suis née

この道や 行く人なしに
この道や 秋のくれ
Ne me plaignez pas

Stat sua cuique dies
Stat sua cuique dies
Maél is mé tó féran

Aleto men moi nostos
Aleto men moi nostos

Kono michi ya yuku hito nashi ni
Kono michi ya aki no kure
Ne me plaignez pas

To each his day is given (Latin, Aeneid)
To each his day is given
'Tis time that I fare from you (Old English, Beowulf)

Lost is my homecoming (Greek, Illiad)
Lost is my homecoming
I was born for this (French, Joan of Arc)

Along this road no one goes (Japanese, Bashô)
Along this road of autumn dusk
I was born for this (French, Joan of Arc)
Do not pity me

I was born for this

TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 14:03   Link #2
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I'll take it you had an emotional experience?
Old 2013-04-09, 22:59   Link #3
TinyRedLeaf
On indefinite hiatus

Indeed, I had a moving experience. Not just one, but several deeply poignant moments. I wondered if it is even possible to describe them in words, for the game is deliberately designed to make speech irrelevant.

My experiences resonated at an elemental level. Superlatives are, oddly enough, inappropriate. Not because they are inadequate to encapsulate what I felt, but because the Journeys I embarked on were essentially so simple that too much praise would only make them sound more lavish than they really were.

Yet, amid that simplicity, majesty dwells. This is simply a game you'll have to experience for yourself. It is a literal sandbox, a vast tabula rasa waiting for you to fill. What you get from it will depend heavily on what you bring to it.

======

Some product details are probably required:

> Journey is an indie video game developed by Thatgamecompany (TGC) exclusively for the PlayStation 3. It was released on March 13, 2012, via the PlayStation Network. Since its debut, Journey has not just become the fastest-selling game on the network, but also the most downloaded.

> The collector's edition — which comes with game's phenomenal soundtrack, as well as TGC's two earlier games (flOw and Flower) for PlayStation 3 — was released on Blu-ray in August 2012, and copies are still available online (US$27.69 on Amazon).

> As mentioned, the game's music by Austin Wintory is an integral part of the experience. It was nominated for a Grammy Award last year, the only video-game soundtrack to have been thus honoured.

> The game has inspired scores of fans and artists, with one violinist going so far as to choreograph a professional-quality music video of the two arguably most important tracks, Apotheosis and I Was Born For This.
Old 2013-04-12, 07:09   Link #4
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal

It is pretty great. Regardless of having joined the glorious PC master race, I'm glad I still had a ps3 collecting dust on the shelf.
Old 2013-04-12, 13:51   Link #5
Kreceir
♥~Likes to post Fan art~♥

When I first saw this game, I thought it was Boring and didn't offer that much of an gameplay Experience.

But I was curious so I bought it.

When I first played it, I was absolutely Speechless.
BEST Purchase ever.
It is definitely one of my best gaming and also quite an emotional that I ever experienced.
The scenery, the sounds, the multiplayer and yet not multiplayer.
Definitely best game ever created.

I once found someone and we decided to play together.
Went too far ahead of him and when I turned around to wait he wasn't there anymore.
It was like an 3 hour Journey together and because I went too fast I lost my buddy, It kinda made me really sad.

For the ones that didn't play it yet, I definitely Recommend this game.
Old 2013-04-12, 18:30   Link #6
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

I picked it up on sale shortly after it won on PSN's GOTY vote. Always meant to play it, but I'm a cheapskate.

Spoiler for gameplay experience:
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 23:48   Link #7
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

yeah, this game is amazing. absolutely stunning. right up there with Shadow of the Colossus in the, "oh my god, this is beautiful" category.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 11:48   Link #8
TinyRedLeaf
On indefinite hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreceir View Post
I once found someone and we decided to play together.
Went too far ahead of him and when I turned around to wait he wasn't there anymore.
It was like an 3 hour Journey together and because I went too fast I lost my buddy, It kinda made me really sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
Spoiler for gameplay experience:
Having a companion, one who stays with you for most of the journey, definitely makes a world of difference.

On my first journey, although I met seven other travellers, they stayed for only a part of the way. I remember being somewhat bored and I was even beginning to nod off just before I reached the final leg of the journey. The blue skies were a delight, but it was a mixed experience overall.

The second journey was totally different. This time, I met only three other travellers, but we stayed together longer and helped each other explore. It was a much more satisfying and fulfilling experience. In the end, I still finished alone, but the amount of goodwill I felt more than made up for it.

On my third journey, I met my first white-cloaked companion, who stayed with me throughout and till the end. Again, it felt different. It's hard to explain.

I spent my fourth journey alone, taking the time to uncover as many remaining hints as I could find. And just tonight, I completed my fifth journey as a white-cloaked traveller. It was only now that I fully understood what the murals showed, how the previous civilisation waxed and waned into dust.

=============

I feel it's only fitting to leave this video behind as a footnote. In it, Journey designer Jenova Chen described the objectives and processes behind the making of the game. In a way, Thatgamecompany went through a tough journey of its own to take its vision to fruition. Chen and his colleagues drove themselves into bankruptcy to finish the game. Was it worth it? The e-mail at the end of Chen's presentation says it all.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-04-13, 12:00   Link #9
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

This is one of these games I'd really very much like to play but no longer having a PS3 means sadly I never likely will....

I wish it was at least on Steam or something... and not an exclusive =[

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 17:41   Link #10
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreceir View Post
When I first saw this game, I thought it was Boring and didn't offer that much of an gameplay Experience.
This describes me, with the difference being my opinion didn't change as I played through.

Oh well. I didn't think much of portal 1/2 either, so I'm obviously very much not the target audience of gaming developers of today.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 23:11   Link #11
TinyRedLeaf
On indefinite hiatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
This describes me, with the difference being my opinion didn't change as I played through.

Oh well. I didn't think much of portal 1/2 either, so I'm obviously very much not the target audience of gaming developers of today.
Given the ongoing debate on what constitutes "mainstream" entertainment in anime and, by extension, video games, your comment raises the interesting question of who you think are the "target audience" of game developers today. Of course, I suspect you're just joking, because it ought to be fairly clear that Journey is anything but typical of most games targeted at Western audiences nowadays.

As for the boredom you felt, I think that's fair and to be expected. Not everyone will look positively on a game like this, which gives players an illusion of open-ended exploration but, in reality, runs on a set of tightly scripted rails. Also, some gamers may not like that it's so short — it takes three hours at most to complete.

In a way, Journey reminds me heavily of Haibane Renmei, the anime that resonated immensely with me back in around 2005. It was the story I needed at the time; the message that you're never alone, that someone, somewhere understands, and has made the effort to reach out to you. Journey did not have the same effect on me, not because its message is not as powerful as that of Haibane Renmei (they are, in fact, in meaning and structure), but because I have long since moved on.

Which is to say that if it were Journey that I encountered in 2005, I probably would have experienced a similar epiphany.

It goes back to what I have come to believe about stories, about writing. It's about having a conversation between the storyteller and his audience. There will be times when an audience is not receptive to the story through no fault of the storyteller. It's simply that the audience wasn't yet ready for the story. A story resonates only when it causes the audience to reflect on deeply personal experiences. Otherwise, it's just something we would absorb and forget about — until something happens in real life to trigger those memories.
Old 2013-05-28, 12:17   Link #12
TinyRedLeaf
On indefinite hiatus

This is such silly fun that it simply has to be shared.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Tags
playstation, thatgamecompany