AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

View Poll Results: Attack on Titan - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 69 44.23%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 51 32.69%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 10.26%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 7.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 1.92%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.28%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.64%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.28%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-05-06, 18:50   Link #321
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
So, you're right that the way the characters and plot are presented don't make much logical sense. But I think it's deliberate. They've been presented this way to strike a raw emotional chord with the Japanese.

And it's in that sense that I think the story so far has been brilliantly presented.
I enjoy it as a theoretical simulation of how humanity might respond in such a scenario. I don't necessarily mean if Titans were real as the series presents them, but if society found itself working against a tangible and deadly force that was seemingly invincible. I don't know if perhaps my fellow American viewers have difficulty appreciating this aspect of the series because of difficulty getting into that line of thought. Our reality is one where humanity has seemingly mastered all of nature's creatures and America could arguably defeat any other human society. The idea of being beaten back and unable to emerge victorious may seem unrealistic, or too frustrating. Yet it's very interesting all the same.

I know the series isn't necessarily going for realism with many of the things that are presented. Yet as a thought experiment, it's still a fun simulation to consider. I'm enjoying the writers' takes on the scenario, and as I've written before, I greatly appreciate that they aren't going for the stereotypical anime plot with a hero/heroes who pulls victories out of thin air when everyone else failed.
Old 2013-05-06, 21:24   Link #322
amaterasu4
CAUSE I FEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!!

I wonder how is it that Titans disappear so easily. With their sizes it is ridiculous so maybe they really have a hidden trick. I doubt they can become invisibilty because they also stop making noises.
amaterasu4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 21:43   Link #323
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
I wonder how is it that Titans disappear so easily. With their sizes it is ridiculous so maybe they really have a hidden trick. I doubt they can become invisibilty because they also stop making noises.
The colossal Titan didn't simply become invisible. Eren was hooked to him when he disappeared and then suddenly Eren wasn't hooked to anything.

This suggests that the Titan physically disappeared.

Jan-Poo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 01:50   Link #324
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne

I do think that Eren is having a hard time controlling his emotion. He's hyperactive and rush to the decision without considering the consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
The colossal titan might be able to teleport itself. It came with a lightning from out of nowhere. Hopefully the story will tackle the source of this incidents.

Current Season animes: Shingeki no Kyojin, Inu to Hasmi wa Tsukai yo
Tougarashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 02:58   Link #325
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tougarashi View Post
The colossal titan might be able to teleport itself. It came with a lightning from out of nowhere. Hopefully the story will tackle the source of this incidents.
Teleporting Titan...? That's just WTF. Why didn't he just teleport inside? LOls... that's more convenient...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 03:32   Link #326
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claym0re View Post
Not to mention they sent a bunch of rookies without an experienced squad leader to fight off titans. What sort of idiotic logic is that? Why not send the rookies to help crowd control, while you use your battle hardened veterans to delay the siege? No matter how I look at it this episode just feels wrong.
It makes perfect sense, the exact same way sending a significant % of your population on a suicide mission to "fix" food problems made sense.

You're not looking at this the right way. And no manga spoilers here I haven't read this far into it for one (though after how this episode ending it's pretty fing hard not to pick it up again) and it's pretty obvious what the intent was as soon as Mikasa was "held" back.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 03:48   Link #327
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Teleporting Titan...? That's just WTF. Why didn't he just teleport inside? LOls... that's more convenient...
If he teleport himself inside the wall, he might accidentally steps on the humans which is unfavorable since it's not a good idea to waste foods. So Kyojin parliment decided just to teleport outside the buffet line.

Old 2013-05-07, 04:00   Link #328
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Quote:
I noticed that you've raised this point a number of times. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter which side of the wall the colossal titan appears — its purpose is still to kick down the gate to let in the rest of the titans.

Which is to say, while I find the idea of teleporting titans far-fetched (well... in the context of this reality, it seems so), I'm not sure why you find it such a joke.

It'll be interesting to see the extent of that particular titan's powers. It seems to be capable of generating intense heat, enough to create looming clouds of steam. I don't know what that could imply. For all we know, it could be some kind of biomechanical machine in the guise of a extra-large titan.

Wrap your heads around that, haha. The colossal titan is actually an Evangelion in disguise.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 04:07   Link #329
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
I noticed that you've raised this point a number of times. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter which side of the wall the colossal titan appears its purpose is still to kick down the gate to let in the rest of the titans.
Actually its my first time hearing that... teleporting idea.. I just find it funny..

Well,. anyway.. if he could really teleport inside... hey, kick the door and ran havoc at the same time... it's pretty time saving...
Old 2013-05-07, 04:28   Link #330
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tougarashi View Post
I do think that Eren is having a hard time controlling his emotion. He's hyperactive and rush to the decision without considering the consequences.
I agree with you with him being emotional, but hyperactive? Not so much. Eren was pretty calm and sensible throughout the episode up till Thomas' ill fated capture and death. He held himself up a hell better than his peers to his credit too.

Quote:
I'm going along with teleportation too until more evidence shows up that says otherwise.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 04:37   Link #331
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
I agree with you with him being emotional, but hyperactive? Not so much. Eren was pretty calm and sensible throughout the episode up till Thomas' ill fated capture and death.
Ya, he attach to his peer emotionally and their death made him unbearable. He was gone bersek when his mother died and again he's out of control when Thomas was mutilated. He underestimated the titans so much in my opinion.

Old 2013-05-07, 04:43   Link #332
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Hola, methinks it's a tad soon to refer to Eren in the past tense.

He said it himself: "I couldn't die even if I was killed."

No shounen hero can be more GAR than that.
Old 2013-05-07, 04:54   Link #333
yankky5

Quote:
Hola, methinks it's a tad soon to refer to Eren in the past tense.

He said it himself: "I couldn't die even if I was killed."

No shounen hero can be more GAR than that.
you think he'll reappear in a number 2
Old 2013-05-07, 05:10   Link #334
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

In case it wasn't clear, I was being sarcastic.

I wouldn't mind if Eren died and Mikasa became the main character. If that was the intention though, I'm not sure I like the way the story built up to it.
Old 2013-05-07, 06:28   Link #335
Claym0re

Quote:
In case it wasn't clear, I was being sarcastic.

I wouldn't mind if Eren died and Mikasa became the main character. If that was the intention though, I'm not sure I like the way the story built up to it.
Everyone is praising this anime being realistic so he better stays dead.
Claym0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 06:33   Link #336
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
LOls to this particular word....
Old 2013-05-07, 06:44   Link #337
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

The 3D gear or rather the way it is used so effectively to move around is already a non realistic element. I don't think anyone argued against that.

Jan-Poo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 06:59   Link #338
Claym0re

Quote:
LOls to this particular word....
Well I was obviously referring to the discussion how easily they were wiped out.
Claym0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-07, 07:26   Link #339
zRichard

Quote:
For that matter, I never figured out how the original Japanese which started the joke could have been phrased in such a way as to be so easily misunderstood.
I think that the phrase itself predates anime. It comes from Japanese culture, not otaku culture.
It's something like "I can feel a murderous intent" and that kind of phrases.
Old 2013-05-07, 07:40   Link #340
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
This is for escapism. It's not realistic.