AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Kill La Kill

Old 2013-11-23, 03:29   Link #1341
Allium
Binding flower wreaths

I looked up the song (白い炎) in the credits, and traced it to a 1985 drama called Sukeban Deka, which was adapted from a manga. Interestingly enough, its main character is a crimefighting delinquent schoolgirl.
Old 2013-11-23, 23:27   Link #1342
Lightning_Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allium View Post
I looked up the song (白い炎) in the credits, and traced it to a 1985 drama called Sukeban Deka, which was adapted from a manga. Interestingly enough, its main character is a crimefighting delinquent schoolgirl.
Not surprising, this series seems to pay homage to many pop-culture concepts of Japan from the 1960s-80s. The episode titles, for example.
Old 2013-11-30, 15:43   Link #1343
Tazerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
just realize this....no wonder i have the feeling to have seen the ED somewhere...its seems other realize it too, its just for the life of me i dont know what the name of the film....?anybody know?

Dudes, this show has such strong homages to Sukeban Deka, you should check it out. Cult classic of 80's Japan pop culture. Also Mako quotes a famous line from Seifuku to kikanju, another 80's liveaction.
Tazerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-12, 12:35   Link #1344
immblueversion

Say, let's suppose there will be a Kill la Kill movie. Maybe the anime will leave the ending open for it to be concluded with one, like Madoka or Blood-C. Or maybe it would go the Gurren Lagann route and get turned into compilation movies with crazier, beyond over-the-top finales that blow the original final episode out of the water.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-15, 11:06   Link #1345
neshru

I wonder if we'll ever see Mataro's friends again. The little blond kid with the chainsaw was adorable.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-18, 22:57   Link #1346
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
I wonder if we'll ever see Mataro's friends again. The little blond kid with the chainsaw was adorable.
I wonder if we'll actually find out which one's which. All we know about them is that their names are Choroma, Pakuri, and Gitta (according to the credits). When I requested the show be added to Behind the Voice Actors, I only took a guess at which kid had which name.

Old 2014-01-07, 11:00   Link #1347
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Historical references in Kill la Kill

I've wondered from time to time whether we should see parallels between the conflicts at Honnouji Academy and the Sengoku period. Nakashima has already written one historically-based script, Oh! Edo Rocket set in 1843-44, so it wouldn't surprise me if Kill la Kill had historical references as well.

Certainly the choice of the name "Honnouji" cannot be accidental. That is the famous shrine where Oda Nobunaga reportedly committed suicide in 1582 when Akechi's "treachery" brought about the end of Nobunaga's regime. Is Satsuki's quest to unite all of Japan under her rule a riff on Nobunaga's similar quest?

If so, what does that make the Elite Four? Are they stand-ins for Nobunaga's principal generals like Hideyoshi and Nagahide? Is Ryuuko the Akechi of this story, the author of a coup that takes down Satsuki? Or perhaps she has more in common with Hideyoshi who rose from being Nobunaga's footman to one of his most successful generals? Will our lowly transfer student follow a similar path?
Old 2014-01-07, 12:51   Link #1348
Breimoon

"I creatori di Gurren Lagann accusati di plagio per Kill la Kill"
gurren lagann makers accused of copyng Hiroyuki Oshima e Daisuke Ihara works.
Seems like even the character Nui Harime was copied . Have yet to find an english version and it is too bothersome to translate a full article.
Look for these works: Gakuen Noise , Akuto: ACT (at this moment these two seem pretty much confirmed, as for Otoko-gumi e Honou no Tenkousei they have yet to find similiraties)
edit->here is english article: (there is a really minor not plot wise spoiler for akuto:ACT, don't blame me if you don't wanna know it i warned you)http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/in...be-plagiarized
Breimoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 13:00   Link #1349
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Even the manga's two authors disagree about whether there is any plagiarism involved. I suggest reading this article at ANN and the comments thread to it.
Old 2014-01-18, 00:56   Link #1350
solomon

Man I wanna go to Osaka now!

Also, I like mini Senketsu scarf, looks cool.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 14:31   Link #1351
SinsI

Tried first chapter of the manga adaptation in search of missing details. It is a carbon copy of the first half of first episode, so not worth reading.
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 20:27   Link #1352
immblueversion

Maybe this is one of those mangas that will eventually diverge into its own storyline.

The translation is terrible, by the way.

Old 2014-02-03, 07:00   Link #1353
quigonkenny
Omae wa mou binbou iru...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breimoon View Post
"I creatori di Gurren Lagann accusati di plagio per Kill la Kill"
gurren lagann makers accused of copyng Hiroyuki Oshima e Daisuke Ihara works.
Seems like even the character Nui Harime was copied . Have yet to find an english version and it is too bothersome to translate a full article.
Look for these works: Gakuen Noise , Akuto: ACT (at this moment these two seem pretty much confirmed, as for Otoko-gumi e Honou no Tenkousei they have yet to find similiraties)
edit->here is english article: (there is a really minor not plot wise spoiler for akuto:ACT, don't blame me if you don't wanna know it i warned you)http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/in...be-plagiarized
Saw it. It's BS.

The supposed Nui look-a-like? Looks nothing-a-like other than having blonde twin-tails (those aren't at all common, are they?). She's not even Sweet Goth. Or cute in any way. Or even female.

The supposedly plagiaried ideas are so common that the whole thing is laughable. Gigantic school? Hayate the Combat Butler uses that trope as parody fodder. Ridiculously powerful student council? I think there might have been two or three of those running at the same time last year. There's one that uses that trope as parody fodder running now. Outsider protagonist with vengeance plot hook wielding strange weapon? 64.3% of all shounen manga (statistics not kept for other demographics). The whole thing is just another excuse for anime elitists to rag on KLK for being derivative in a different way from how their own sacred anime cows are derivative.

News flash. ALL ANIME IS DERIVATIVE.

This is not a bad thing. So was The Matrix. So was Avatar. Both of those were incredibly popular. The Original Trilogy Star Wars movies appear derivative now to anyone who has never referred to the first one as anything but "A New Hope" or "Episode 4", but that's only because just about everything since is derivative of them. But even they were derivative of Kurosawa movies and the old Buck Rogers serials from the 20's and 30's.

Anyway, speaking of derivative, I heard an interesting suggestion on Reddit that was inspired by episode 16:

The giant life-fiber ball is Lavos (well, not actually, but same principle).

Chew on that for a while and make some more connections. If you don't know who or what Lavos is, shame on you. Leave and don't come back until you've learned the error of your ways.
Old 2014-02-03, 09:43   Link #1354
Death Usagi
空母ヲ級

I tried reading the manga version of Kill la Kill but... it is kind of bad... the art style jumps from one style to another, where a bit more cute looking Ryuuko is there, but when she battles, she goes jumping to an enraged version that looks total rip off of the anime art style where even the eye design style changes.
Old 2014-02-03, 11:30   Link #1355
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Some series just can't be made into manga.

Kill la Kill works better in animated form.
Old 2014-02-03, 11:32   Link #1356
Death Usagi
空母ヲ級

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Some series just can't be made into manga.

Kill la Kill works better in animated form.
Yeah. Kill la Kill is better as an anime than manga...
Old 2014-02-04, 20:43   Link #1357
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

For those who watch Wooser...this week's episode had some nods to Kill la Kill...
Old 2014-02-05, 09:16   Link #1358
SinsI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Usagi View Post
Yeah. Kill la Kill is better as an anime than manga...
It's just that manga is so lackluster. If it'd added bits and pieces that weren't in the anime, it'd have been at least worth reading. Ryuuko outside of Honnouji, Maco's family days, daily lives of Elite Four and Satsuki, POV from other schools on Honnouji - those are the things that couldn't be shown in anime but would still be interesting to fans of the show...
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 21:17   Link #1359
tuckersister

Satsuki betraying Ragyo. I knew would happen at some point. This week's episode was the best so far. I think Ryuko will fight Nui again next week. We find out that Kinase is Tsumugu's sister and Isshin's top assistant. I still think there will be another new critical character. Someone's got to train Ryuko further. I still want to think that the woman that Ryuko saw that night her father died is someone else. I'll see where the story goes. One wish has already been fullfilled...Satsuki betraying Ragyo.
tuckersister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-07, 01:44   Link #1360
Archaeon

F*Ck YEAH SATSUKI SAMA!!
Archaeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, aniplex, comedy, fanservice, high school, imaishi, trigger