AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

View Poll Results: Attack on Titan - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 40 38.10%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 32 30.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 20.95%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 5.71%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.86%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.95%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.95%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-05-12, 00:34   Link #61
Iron Maw
Aspiring Drunkard
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
I'm actually going by the information given in the anime anyway.

And yea...I love how they melt when they die, reminds me of enemies in a video game.
I swore the anime just mentioned the term and applied to that one particular Titan. I agree with your points though.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 00:35   Link #62
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Maybe, though he could have just been reacting to Eren passing by.

One thing is for sure...Santa Claus Titan was pretty damn brain-dead so he's not one xD
Well perhaps he was abnormally stupid and slow. Who said that "deviance" only applies to positive features?
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 00:36   Link #63
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: By the vending machine, drinking tea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Well perhaps he was abnormally stupid and slow. Who said that "deviance" only applies to positive features?
Touche good sir, touche!
__________________

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 01:31   Link #64
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Mm... I can't really say I found this to be that good of an episode.
I know that it might have been necessary to show Misaka and Elen's past, but because they just inserted it in the middle of a climax? battle? The episode felt slow and non-developing.

And that's the main reason.
The other was that it was a bit hard to take the episode seriously.
Be it that running Titan, the fact he did run and the way he did run.
And just the chaotic thought process of the characters in the past. Elen was just unbelievable. Misaka quit human and broke the floor with her movement.
And you know, after you tell your fellow salesman to not harm your merchandise, why do you pointlessly hurt your remaining merchandise?
"You better not struggle, or else...!"
-->
But I'm gonna knock you out even if you don't.
...........??????????
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 01:52   Link #65
backbone
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: East Asia
Age: 22
Overall it's a good episode, with Mikasa being badass by taking down few Titans and the millitary power managed to stop the Titans and close the outer gate. The flashback scene, however, baffled me a bit. It's one thing to save someone by taking down the bastards, but to suddenly turn an innocent brat into a murderer, i mean, seriously? It just feels very forced and out of place even for the brash and hotheaded Eren.

Oh, and i wonder why Mikasa suddenly turned into superhuman by cracking the wood floor the moment before she stabbed her kidnapper
backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 01:55   Link #66
yankky5
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Between a dragon(China) and a kangaroo(Australia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Speaking of this, I was surprised how they died. Titans just... melt, I think this gives credence that they maybe manmade bio weapons of some sort.
I thinks thats both blessing and a curse IMO. Its a blessing cauz after a battle you wont have to worry about cleaning large titan bodies off the streets and Its a curse cauz you cant do an autopsy on the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbone View Post

Oh, and i wonder why Mikasa suddenly turned into superhuman by cracking the wood floor the moment before she stabbed her kidnapper
That could be the result of heightened adrenaline rush and accompanied with her fight or flight instinct..... that or it could be the natural limiter in her brain is turned off (come on man do even read sakrea or eden no ori)
__________________
http://www.wallpaperhere.com/thumbnails/detail/20111109/4eba21545dc9a.jpg
yankky5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 02:01   Link #67
Iron Maw
Aspiring Drunkard
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by backbone View Post
Oh, and i wonder why Mikasa suddenly turned into superhuman by cracking the wood floor the moment before she stabbed her kidnapper
That seemed like dramatic license really. This is the same director that did infamous potato chip scene from Death Note after all. Don't think too much about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankky5 View Post
I thinks thats both blessing and a curse IMO. Its a blessing cauz after a battle you wont have to worry about cleaning large titan bodies off the streets and Its a curse cauz you cant do an autopsy on the body.
Yeah it's no wonder they haven't much success learning more about beyond what they currently know. But catching one alive would be terribly difficult as well.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 02:25   Link #68
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
... guess in this setting orientals/ Asians are rarity.... a bit off topic i do think Erens mother has asian/oriental features
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 02:28   Link #69
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-kun View Post
The anime portray it as something creepy. Shouldn't that be good enough? You don't need to whine because you cannot get all viewers to see it your way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Well, I don't know if you're perhaps referencing other forums you frequent, but I didn't see anyone else posting in this thread that it was a GAR scene. Seems like mostly everyone is on the same page that it was meant to be a rather unnerving scene.
Actually, my outburst was triggered by:
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
Now, will people finally stop saying that

Spoiler for lol:
I find it annoying that I'm expected to justify why I continue to see Eren as a typical hothead shounen lead. Especially when events of this episode are supposed to show why he's such a "badass". In my opinion, he's not, and this episode actually demonstrates his foolish impetuousness, the exact opposite of what I'd expect from a truly mature hero.

And no, I couldn't care less if it was portrayed differently in manga. Everyone should know why by now, so I won't rehash the point. People who feel otherwise can vent their frustration behind properly labelled spoiler tags, or take it elsewhere where it belongs.

In my opinion, the only character to have demonstrated strength in mind and body thus far is Mikasa. Even so, her "strength" came at a grievous price. She lost a piece of a humanity along the way, and I feel sorry that it had to come to pass in such fashion.

As she said, it's a cruel world where the strong feeds upon the weak. In realising that, she destroyed whatever mental blocks there may have been to hold her back. Hence her "superhuman" strength. Every time she fights, she does so as though her very survival depends on it. I'm not sure whether that's admirable or pitiful. It's a mix of both. And that makes her an even more compelling tragic character, in my opinion.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 02:42   Link #70
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
In terms of one of the two depressing episodes this week, Railgun is the other, I vote this SnK episode the better depressing episode.

Armin feeling useless and weak having to rely on two stronger people. Hannah not accepting the reality her lover is dead. Mikasa oh dear Mikasa she keeps loosing those that she loves. Despite being the strongest she is the Woobie you want to hug and tell her everything is going to be fine.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 02:52   Link #71
yankky5
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Between a dragon(China) and a kangaroo(Australia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Actually, my outburst was triggered by:

I find it annoying that I'm expected to justify why I continue to see Eren as a typical hothead shounen lead. Especially when events of this episode are supposed to show why he's such a "badass". In my opinion, he's not, and this episode actually demonstrates his foolish impetuousness, the exact opposite of what I'd expect from a truly mature hero.
That just means that this series has a badass setting with a very typical protagonist. I think that's a plot hole dont you agree? Though I agree with you though..... so far the acceptable motivate for eren being this way is the fact his mother died right infront of his eyes; the years of fighting bullies, poverty and disease would usually break someone down not make them hot blooded
__________________
http://www.wallpaperhere.com/thumbnails/detail/20111109/4eba21545dc9a.jpg
yankky5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 03:18   Link #72
Iron Maw
Aspiring Drunkard
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
In terms of one of the two depressing episodes this week, Railgun is the other, I vote this SnK episode the better depressing episode.

Armin feeling useless and weak having to rely on two stronger people. Hannah not accepting the reality her lover is dead. Mikasa oh dear Mikasa she keeps loosing those that she loves. Despite being the strongest she is the Woobie you want to hug and tell her everything is going to be fine.
SnK is all about this stuff, so it's only natural. I also like to point how interesting that Armin in his relfection came to the same conclusion as Mikasa about the state of their current world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankky5 View Post
That just means that this series has a badass setting with a very typical protagonist. I think that's a plot hole dont you agree? Though I agree with you though..... so far the acceptable motivate for eren being this way is the fact his mother died right infront of his eyes; the years of fighting bullies, poverty and disease would usually break someone down not make them hot blooded
Eh that's not how a plot hole works, but the setting is indeed very bleak. I wouldn't call Eren a typical shounen protag either, but that's just my view.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 03:28   Link #73
desrtsku
I think I've lost it.
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The street.
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Actually, my outburst was triggered by:

I find it annoying that I'm expected to justify why I continue to see Eren as a typical hothead shounen lead. Especially when events of this episode are supposed to show why he's such a "badass". In my opinion, he's not, and this episode actually demonstrates his foolish impetuousness, the exact opposite of what I'd expect from a truly mature hero.

And no, I couldn't care less if it was portrayed differently in manga. Everyone should know why by now, so I won't rehash the point. People who feel otherwise can vent their frustration behind properly labelled spoiler tags, or take it elsewhere where it belongs.
My bad, my bad, I didn't really want to cause an uproar. (I didn't really expect this much) But I guess I have to take responsibility.

But before that I want to point that your vision of Eren after this episode is not wrong as others said. Actually, it's just the same as everyone's. But the problem lies in how you interpret it.

The reason why I posted that question is because, some people (including you, to a certain extend) seems to think that he's similar to the usual shounen protag. Well, obviously, I want them to admit that he's not, but in a different way than what you think. It has nothing to do with the fact that he's either a mature hero or some brat doing stupid things to save people, it is more about him being "too much of a crazy brat doing stupid things to be put in that crowd". In other words, I'm not trying to say that he's different because he's "badass" or something ... I'm trying to say that he's not one of them because he's just too damn creepy, downright crazy, demented, mad, just a little bit too extreme for that.

This episode shows that he possesses the usual sense of justice, hotbloodedness and recklessness any of those guys have ; but his are deformed and exaggerated to such an extend it has become ridiculous. If I'd have to force an analogy, I'd say : "he's not really similar to the generic shounen protagonists you see when reading a jump, he's more of a caricature of them".
And that's the reason why I don't like people lumping him with the usual shounen idealistic brats, Eren is something on a completely different scale.

PS : he's portrayed exactly like that in the manga, so there's no issue of that kind here.
__________________
desrtsku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 03:36   Link #74
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vereinigte Staaten
Age: 22
I think it's worth noting that unlike other shounen protagonists, Eren's hotheadedness doesn't actually get him anywhere except that one time he got lucky and was somehow able to save Mikasa. Otherwise, he is not shown scoring a single victory where it matters. Mikasa knows this and thus has made it her job to protect him not just from external danger but from himself as well. Too bad he seems to be rather dead at this point.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 03:36   Link #75
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I find it annoying that I'm expected to justify why I continue to see Eren as a typical hothead shounen lead. Especially when events of this episode are supposed to show why he's such a "badass". In my opinion, he's not, and this episode actually demonstrates his foolish impetuousness, the exact opposite of what I'd expect from a truly mature hero.
I'm not going to agree or disagree with how you view his character morally but...

I do think you don't give his character enough credit. He's no ordinary hotheaded shonen protagonist. He's completely batshit insane. Most shonen leads blow a lot of hot steam and might be reckless, but Eren is completely different. He's willing to do immoral things for his perception of justice. He actually acts on what he says. He's pretty extreme in general, though at the same time it's hard to deny that he's wrong. If he didn't do what he did in the past, Mikasa would have been sold away and the bad guys would have ran. Was it ugly and terrible to watch? Yes, but he the fact remains that he saved Mikasa's life.

Does this make him admirable? I don't think this is a black and white issue. On one hand he is absolutely reckless, but on the other, it's his overwhelming determination to do what is necessary that inspires people around him. The problem is if he's not restrained, then well last episode showed us what happens.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 03:46   Link #76
Xero8420
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Seven Seas
Age: 22
In other words, Eren is doing something anti-heroic as was demonstrated in this episode, in order to save someone else who are needed. Anti-heroic in a way that Eren commits something that none other typical shounen protag heroes would have the guts to do so that involves necessary gore and violence and self-sacrifices, till they're about to say "What the hell, hero?!" to Eren.

Hot-blooded and reckless? Yes, that's common, even in his current age; but anti-heroic. That's what makes Eren unique from any other generic shounen heroes.

PS: And a well-intentioned extremist too.
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 03:49   Link #77
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
In other words, I'm not trying to say that he's different because he's "badass" or something ... I'm trying to say that he's not one of them because he's just too damn creepy, downright crazy, demented, mad, just a little bit too extreme for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I do think you don't give his character enough credit. He's no ordinary hotheaded shonen protagonist. He's completely batshit insane.
I agree with the characterisation of him being almost criminally insane. If that's the point of contention, then I can see why people are bothered that I see him as a typical shounen lead rather than as a hotheaded and highly dangerous maverick (in my mind, they're synonymous, but that's just me).
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 03:53   Link #78
Iron Maw
Aspiring Drunkard
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
I think it's worth noting that unlike other shounen protagonists, Eren's hotheadedness doesn't actually get him anywhere except that one time he got lucky and was somehow able to save Mikasa. Otherwise, he is not shown scoring a single victory where it matters. Mikasa knows this and thus has made it her job to protect him not just from external danger but from himself as well. Too bad he seems to be rather dead at this point.
I disagree with this, if Eren weren't the way he is who knows what would have happen to Mikasa. Armin would likely be dead too. Nor would he be able to inspire people like he does. It's just that story makes also makes a point that Eren's sociopathic tendencies have consequences. He doesn't hesitate to give his life for others but that in itself also a flaw which is why Mikasa does everything in her power to protect him.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2013-05-12 at 04:05.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 03:55   Link #79
desrtsku
I think I've lost it.
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The street.
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I agree with the characterisation of him being almost criminally insane. If that's the point of contention, then I can see why people are bothered that I see him as a typical shounen lead rather than as a hotheaded and highly dangerous maverick (in my mind, they're synonymous, but that's just me).
It's fine, it's fine. I'm glad this misunderstanding is cleared. That's the most important thing.
__________________
desrtsku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 04:08   Link #80
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Xanadu
Age: 22
oh wow... what a "nice episode"

we got mindbroken Armin together with Franz's horrible death

Mikasa is very badass... killing Titans easily, challenging the arrogant merchant, and maybe she's truly the best soldier around

watching Mikasa's past made me wonder... Eren in young age is very smart and cool-headed
Right now, he's still got his sense of justice.. but just lost his cool-head so just rushing carelessly (which is making him into his current state)

Mikasa's last statement is beautiful.... her only home is where Eren around.... I wish it will be the same for Eren

notes : so.... umm... Mikasa likes to sniff her scarf... is that a kind of fetish?
__________________

even if you can't see me, even if you can't hear me, I'll be by your side (Kaname Madoka, 2011)
anime list
manga list
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.