AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-10-09, 01:44   Link #181
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Green-haired, slanted-eyes guy is your classic shady villain with a plan (I wonder if Bleach's Jin started this villain type, or if this villain type predates him).
Spoiler for Slayers Next comparison:

This was a fun episode. Ragna's a good protagonist, harsh but kind characters with tragic backstories are always interesting to me.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 02:53   Link #182
ReddyRedWolf

I'm not familiar with the game but there is an explicit time loop mentioned by characters. Ragna it seems is at the center of it and unaware.

Tao the catgirl I'm not sure if she is cute girl or a horror under the hood. She could really look like a cat like Ragna's master.

Seems to me there is connection between Noel and the girl at the beginning as they look like or have memory of Ragna's sister.

Not much world building at the first episode. Hopefully the next one does so.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 04:39   Link #183
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

I do hope the second episode concentrates on the world building.

I also find it rather ironic the fights seemed rather lacking, considering the origins of this entire story.

Hakumen's intro was sadly nowhere near as epic as the one in game.
Old 2013-10-09, 05:06   Link #184
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
I don't understand the anime at all.....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 05:24   Link #185
erdii

well as someone who didn't get play game ı want to ask is Ragna angry and loud all the time ? fight were good but I wish they were longer
Old 2013-10-09, 06:02   Link #186
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent

I'm watching this for the sake of my avatar.

Wondering if they will include the joke scenarios somehow though, probably not.
Old 2013-10-09, 07:26   Link #187
Hiroshi Amearai
Nuclear Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdii View Post
well as someone who didn't get play game ı want to ask is Ragna angry and loud all the time ? fight were good but I wish they were longer
Not all the time. He gets better after this arc
Old 2013-10-09, 07:34   Link #188
JiCi

1) The series will be available on FUNimation's website, meaning that if a dub is made, ALL the game's voice actors may be returning ^_^
2) I like that they reused the game's music.
3) I like the new remixed character themes.
4) First episode was fine ^_^

One problem though: I kept reading and hearing the characters in English in my head, which got confusing with the JPN dub XD
JiCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 09:26   Link #189
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Well i hope the 2nd episode gets better.
Thank goodness i know the BlazBlue games.
And Sugita jokes FTW!
Old 2013-10-09, 09:42   Link #190
TheEroKing
On a Break

Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoemiChan View Post
I don't understand the anime at all.....
It's one of those series where it starts to make some sense after watching a few episodes I guess?
Old 2013-10-09, 09:44   Link #191
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
I'm watching this for the sake of my avatar.

Wondering if they will include the joke scenarios somehow though, probably not.
Please include... Oshiete! Litchi-sensei

By the way, wasn't Noel's breast too large
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 10:45   Link #192
Irenesharda

I really liked this. I have never even heard of the game, but I enjoyed this all the same. The characters were interesting, and the action was nice. I can't quite get the plot yet, but I'm piecing it together.

Quote:
This was wonderfully unintentionally hilarious.

They might as well label the show "Shounen Camp, The Animation"

Ragna is your hot-blooded, chip-on-his-shoulder male lead with a tragic backstory that's going up against the whole world. The fact he wears red, and has a Yu-Gi-Oh hair-do, makes it even better/funnier.

Blonde sibling rival has Accelerator-esque mania, and loves to fight key rivals. He's also a classic case of the inverted "Knight in Shining Armor". He looks like a good champion of law and order, but he's actually a nasty piece of work at heart.

Smooth-talking but sharp-tongued Gothic girl who stands off to the side while carefully playing key characters to her heart's desire.

A catgirl with an endless appetite that's clueless and totally into the male lead.

Cute, likable, but slightly clueless "law and order" girl that follows questionable superiors but herself has a good heart.

Slender, mechanized/cyborg-esque female warrior with a high-tech visor and flash-and-dash attack style.

And... the episode ends on a Kamen Rider knock-off, lol.

Also, loads of trench-coats and/or military uniforms. And the attire also has more cross designs on them than you'd find in the Vatican.

All the dialogue (except from clueless characters) has this short but intense/melodramatic/ominous vibe to it that's so reflective of shounen.

And that's just the characters!
So I wasn't the only one, who thought all these character types looked similar. Even the designs look as if they were stolen from other shows. Ragna looks like a mix between Cloud Strife, Vincent Valentine, and Vash the Stampede. Jin and Noel looked liked the borrowed the uniform of Saber from the "Fate/" series. Rachel looks like every anime vampire goth loli in existence. And I swear Hazama is Gin Ichimaru with green hair in a suit.

Anyway, despite that I will definitely be watching this one. I give this episode a 7.8/10.

Also,

Quote:
Green-haired, slanted-eyes guy is your classic shady villain with a plan (I wonder if Bleach's Jin started this villain type, or if this villain type predates him).
The character in Bleach is named Gin. Jin is a character in this show. And I swear if they had had Koji Yusa do the voice, I would have been convinced that Gin had just simply swapped shows.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 11:06   Link #193
areyoubaka

Quote:
A catgirl with an endless appetite that's clueless and totally into the male lead.
...That's how Tao usually acts.
areyoubaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 11:08   Link #194
takai
Easy Muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
By the way, wasn't Noel's breast too large
She could be wearing pads?
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 12:16   Link #195
ookamigirl

Was expecting more out of this anime.
The main character is nice looking ^^ and I like him.
Don't know if it'll be enough to keep me watching this.
I like this kind of anime, a future based fantasy.
So far, I'm not impressed at all.
Felt kinda lost while watching it, like I was thrown in the middle of it all.
Will give it a try... and then decide.

ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 12:17   Link #196
Frontier

Well, I have to say it wasn't really the primer into the franhise that I was hoping it would be but all the same it was interesting. It certainly wouldn't be the first anime that's just thrown it's audience into the thick of things. I'll stick with it for at least two more episodes and hope for the best .

I can't say Triple R doesn't have a point when it comes to the plot and the tropes present within the show... but this is only episode one and we were just introduced to the characters. There's certainly potential for the plot and the characters to really establish themselves in future episodes. I doubt the franchise and characters would have as big a fanbase otherwise. Then again, this is one-cour...

I like Ragna so far at least. He seems like a strong and interesting protagonist, and I'm hoping we get more into his background in the future. It also helps that he's voiced by Sugita .

I didn't think the action was that bad. Maybe a little rough, but certainly not terrible. I thought Ragna's fight with Jin was decent, and Ragna's finisher was pretty awesome. But I can understand how fans of the franchise would be disappointed that the fights don't quite live up to the, presumably, more fast paced and exciting fights in the game.

Last edited by Frontier; 2013-10-19 at 15:17.
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 12:56   Link #197
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
@ Dr. Casey and Irenesharda - Thanks for the info and name spelling correction respectively. Yeah, Xellos may well be the guy that started this villain type. Sorry about getting Gin's name wrong.

I want to be clear that I'm not saying this show is necessarily bad. Dangaronpa was similarly loaded with well-worn anime archetypes wearing very familiar attire, and I think it worked fine in that show. A good anime can have some fun with that, and that's fine.

But with BlazBlue, I get the sense that the narrative has been massively edited, causing scene transitions to be pretty choppy, and the pacing to be so fast that it's almost on par with the first episode of Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen.

A lot of that important connective tissue of a good story seems to be getting lost. Without the characters, narrative, and setting(s) being given a chance to breath, all you're left with is all of these classic anime scenarios and set pieces. It really does make it come off as a parody of shounen tropes because I get the sense that anything that could truly differentiate this show from loads of other anime shows is getting left on the cutting room floor.

If the story can shift to a smoother pacing next episode, and if flashbacks are allowed to be truly informative instead of being these horribly choppy bits, then this could become a good story. If this doesn't happen, this show may be the unintentional comedy of the year, lol.

But hey, that's better than a dull mediocrity at least. This show is certainly not dull.

There is one thing I forgot to criticize though that really deserves criticism - The OP is just a mash-up of random scenes taken directly from the anime. I've always hated OPs being like this. It just reeks of laziness.
Old 2013-10-09, 13:18   Link #198
Dawnstorm

Quote:
But with BlazBlue, I get the sense that the narrative has been massively edited, causing scene transitions to be pretty choppy, and the pacing to be so fast that it's almost on par with the first episode of Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen.
I've played the games, and - yes - that's exactly what it feels like - like they want to get the familiar material out of the way.

(Chiwa Saitou is so much fun as Taokaka. )
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 13:32   Link #199
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Spoiler for ep1:

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 14:22   Link #200
zamas

Tomokazu Sugita!!!
The music form the game!!!!
The story is incomprehensible!!!! (at least for those who didn't play the game)
Jin is even more of a d**k than in the game!!!
Taokaka!!!

More seriously, it was pleasant to hear the game's music. Just to bad the battle were so short and cheap. I hope it won't be like that the whole season. At least they tried to copy the character battle style.
It was nice seeing all those guys animated. Apart from Jin. Because I don't like him. I wonder what change they'll make to the story to make it more comprehensible. They allready showed the time-loop part. Was is that soon in the game ?
Also like many other, I wonder if they'll use the joke scenario from the game. Maybe in an OAV or as bonuses in the BR.
Oh! And Tomokazu Sugita!!!
zamas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action