AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-10-08, 17:58   Link #161
mistress_kisara

Yup. you really won't get anything if you haven't played the game (thank god I did) and the pacing is really weird..
Old 2013-10-08, 17:59   Link #162
hyl
sneaking like a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
You'll get the gist in the next episode. This is pretty much following the manga.
No need for reading the manga , because i have played Blazblue since Calamity Trigger and own some artbooks and source books like the Material Collection
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 18:20   Link #163
shadow1296

from after watching the first episode i think the anime will do the manga first then calamity trigger followed by continuum shift, i think the reason they are doing it this way is because one they want to draw in more of a crowd with blazblue somewhat decent story two they don't want to give away chronophantasm's story with the anime and for people who are drawn in by the story and want to continue it have to by chronophantasm, and for people who are buying chronophatasm as their first blazblue game they won't be completely lost when it comes to story mode
Old 2013-10-08, 18:36   Link #164
com_gwp

What has the world come to, when the anime based on a fighting game had one of the most average fight sequences right out of the gate this season?
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 18:50   Link #165
sayde

This turned out to be pretty decent for the first episode IMO. I never managed to get into Blazblue's story. So I can't quite compare how the anime is fairing next to the source material. But I'm still enjoying it for some reason. The most fun aspect for me is trying to pick out some of the classic Blazblue themes they've remixed to fit different situations/moods. And hopefully the more important battles in this series will deliver on the animation more so than it did here in episode 1.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 18:50   Link #166
melina_putri

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
What has the world come to, when the anime based on a fighting game had one of the most average fight sequences right out of the gate this season?
BlazBlue is more similar to a VN rather than a fighting game actually. The fighting part is just an excuse for a better game play experience.
melina_putri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 18:52   Link #167
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Really isn't the worst thing I've seen, but it's not stellar either, but to be honest I wasn't really expecting anything amazing. In terms of fighting game anime this will probably still be one of the best I imagine.

And they already covered Ragna's POV story of Calamity Trigger in one episode, just need to do the climax and such. Makes me wonder just what exactly they plan on doing for the rest of the run.

It's awesome that they remixed all the awesome music themes though and didn't just copy/paste it in.~
Old 2013-10-08, 18:57   Link #168
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage

Send a message via Skype™ to ZabiLegacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by melina_putri View Post
BlazBlue is more of a VN rather than a fighting game actually.
I find that the series makes sort of an ideal fusion. The visual novel genre has always been at least slightly hampered by the fact that the the method of interacting with the game has always been the weakest aspect of the game. When you add a fighting game system that is detailed and far from bad on top of that solves the issues of creating a visual novel, it makes the gameplay of visual novels much stronger. The story has also always been a huge problem for creating a good Fighting game, especially because finding excuses for charachters to randomly fight all the time is stupid. The combination brings the story prowess of visual novels to fighting games, and the gameplay of fighting games to VNs.

Now then, despite the fact that I think that the original source material was great, I did find this anime rather lackluster. it was very clearly approached from the idea of adapting a fighting game. I know this because it simply had huge difficulties cutting uneeded content, and bent over backwards so all the charachters and fan service elements of the game would have a role in the series. For it to work, they would have needed to adapt it like a VN. Not that I think that the limited talents working on it could have even pulled that off.
Old 2013-10-08, 20:46   Link #169
Elestia

Hakumen's entrance was sadly lacking. CT Hakumen's speech had the best impact in my opinion.
Old 2013-10-08, 20:52   Link #170
Kirito
Unlimited Flag Works!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito Send a message via Skype™ to Kirito
I just finished the first episode and not bad. I feel it's off to a good start and since I've played all versions of BB, I think I have a sense of what the direction they're going with this one. It's not that surprising that they've focused on Ragna, Noel, and Jin this episode due to their overall importance in the overall series universe.

It's really great to see Rachel in all her glory, and Taokaka was a treat too. I wish they put the scene where she and Ragna had to dine and dash because it was funny, but always can't get what you want, it seems.

All and all, off to a good start. I'm really pleased with the uses of each character themes being implemented (original and remixes etc), and the pacing was decent. I hope that they'll tie in the other characters story due to the fact it'll be really odd to end the Calamity Trigger arc in the next episode.
Old 2013-10-08, 21:17   Link #171
HandofFate

Character design and lines are pretty crisp, and the voice actor are top class.
I only played the first blazblue game, and I think there's been tons of sequels to it, so I just know the basic stuff, but looking forward to what kind of story they're going to use for it.
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 22:28   Link #172
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina_putri View Post
BlazBlue is more similar to a VN rather than a fighting game actually. The fighting part is just an excuse for a better game play experience.
Not true. Sure, the VN-esque storyline is an anomaly in the genre maybe, but Blazblue started life as an arcade fighter. It is first and foremost a fighting game.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 23:15   Link #173
takai
Easy Muffin

Pretty good episode starting off. Nice art and backdrops.

Both the music and voice actors are going to be the best this season, easy.

My only complaint is that it seems to gear more towards people who have played the game than to people who haven't. Which could frighten them away. I'm going to assume that they didn't want the first episode to be exposition heavy, and they'll gradually explain everything as we go on.

Same with fights as well, I think they'll continually get better and better as the season progresses.

Overall a 7.5. Excited to see more.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 23:54   Link #174
shadow1296

can anyone tell me if they are using the same seiyuu as the games, i usually play with the english voices on
Old 2013-10-09, 00:10   Link #175
Frailty
Half-yōkai
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Frailty
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1296 View Post
can anyone tell me if they are using the same seiyuu as the games, i usually play with the english voices on
Yup, it's still the same
Here are the main characters and their respective voice actors that appeared on ep.1

Nu-13: Kanako Kondou
Ragna: Tomokazu Sugita
Jin: Tetsuya Kakihara
Noel: Kanako Kondou
Rachel: Kana Ueda
Hazama: Yuuichi Nakamura
Taokaka: Chiwa Saito
Jubei: Masaki Terasoma
Hakumen: Tetsuya Kakihara

Last edited by Frailty; 2013-10-09 at 01:41.
Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 00:14   Link #176
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
Not true. Sure, the VN-esque storyline is an anomaly in the genre maybe, but Blazblue started life as an arcade fighter. It is first and foremost a fighting game.
The particular story they chose is quite nice, because it addresses one of the biggest weaknesses of the fighting game genre's storyline. It's not a solution that everyone can adopt, because it limits the type of story that can be told, but it's nice for the few games that can adopt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Character design and lines are pretty crisp, and the voice actor are top class.
I only played the first blazblue game, and I think there's been tons of sequels to it, so I just know the basic stuff, but looking forward to what kind of story they're going to use for it.
There are only 3 games in the storyline: Calamity Trigger, Continuum Shift, and Chrono Plasma, in that order. The rest are all Super Continuum Shift Ultimate Championship Turbo Editions.

I do like the character design--enough of a compromise to make it easy to animation but not the horrifically off-model ones in the anime cutscenes in the games.
Old 2013-10-09, 00:52   Link #177
takai
Easy Muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1296 View Post
Speaking of which, the English dub of this will be legendary.

If Funimation uses the game's voice actors of course.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 01:00   Link #178
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
The English dub voice actors used in the games wasn't consistent though, so I wouldn't be so sure they will be able to have them all reprise their roles.

For the most part it was the same people, but replacements had to be brought in here and there. Bang and Hazama mainly come to mind.
Old 2013-10-09, 01:01   Link #179
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage

Send a message via Skype™ to ZabiLegacy
Shouldn't a Blaz Blue anime adaption feel a bit more energetic? I felt like I was watching paint dry, and that's a sham. Blaz Blue has always been about energy and spectacle.
Old 2013-10-09, 01:03   Link #180
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
This was wonderfully unintentionally hilarious.

They might as well label the show "Shounen Camp, The Animation"

Ragna is your hot-blooded, chip-on-his-shoulder male lead with a tragic backstory that's going up against the whole world. The fact he wears red, and has a Yu-Gi-Oh hair-do, makes it even better/funnier.

Blonde sibling rival has Accelerator-esque mania, and loves to fight key rivals. He's also a classic case of the inverted "Knight in Shining Armor". He looks like a good champion of law and order, but he's actually a nasty piece of work at heart.

Smooth-talking but sharp-tongued Gothic girl who stands off to the side while carefully playing key characters to her heart's desire.

Green-haired, slanted-eyes guy is your classic shady villain with a plan (I wonder if Bleach's Jin started this villain type, or if this villain type predates him). He's likely not the main villain, but he's probably the guy most deeply involved in the shadows and making the villain schemes come together.

A catgirl with an endless appetite that's clueless and totally into the male lead.

Cute, likable, but slightly clueless "law and order" girl that follows questionable superiors but herself has a good heart.

Slender, mechanized/cyborg-esque female warrior with a high-tech visor and flash-and-dash attack style.

And... the episode ends on a Kamen Rider knock-off, lol.

Also, loads of trench-coats and/or military uniforms. And the attire also has more cross designs on them than you'd find in the Vatican.

All the dialogue (except from clueless characters) has this short but intense/melodramatic/ominous vibe to it that's so reflective of shounen.

And that's just the characters!

You also have heavy use of flashbacks right in the first episode, including two flashbacks being used twice in the same episode! Maybe this is actually "Shounen Cost-Cutting, The Animation", lol.

This show is just too much, man. Somebody has to Abridge this. This is just crying to be Abridged. I'm honestly impressed at how many cliches and tropes they managed to stuff into this. Every single character and scene felt like it was a shout-out to popular and well-worn anime tropes.

I'll probably stick with this for the massive helpings of cheese, and delicious unintentional comedy.

Tags
action