AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2013-05-17, 21:42   Link #1
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Wanting to buy an external battery pack...

So I am planning to go to China and want to use my laptop for a longer time than it can survive on its own.
I want to buy an external battery pack to keep it alive. I believe the plane I will be riding does not have an outlet, so that way of charging is out.

I found two types of Energizer, xp18000 and xp8000. What is the difference? Does the xp18000 store more = gives more hours to my laptop?

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-17, 21:49   Link #2
TheEroKing
On a Break

Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing
http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/il/products/xp18000/
http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/il/products/xp8000/

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I found two types of Energizer, xp18000 and xp8000. What is the difference? Does the xp18000 store more = gives more hours to my laptop?
It does is what it says.
Old 2013-05-17, 21:53   Link #3
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Ah~...
Ah... *facepalm @me*
Sorry about that. The XP18000 page popped up when I Googled but I never searched "XP8000" but only for the difference between the two, so the official website never popped up on top and I forgot about looking for the information there.

But anyways, thanks.

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2013-05-17, 22:55   Link #4
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

if you want the hard numbers, look at the mAh (milli-Ampere-hours) rating
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 09:12   Link #5
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Another option is to get a higher-capacity battery for your laptop, if your computer's maker supplies one for your model. I had a Toshiba laptop that had a high-capacity battery available; the regular battery lasted around 3.5 hours, but the high-capacity battery put me somewhere between 8-9 hours. The downside to the high-capacity battery was that it altered the form factor, as it had a small cylinder that stuck out of the back of the computer. It was fairly easy to swap out batteries on that laptop, too. When the low-capacity battery began to run low I would hibernate the system, swap the batteries, and then boot back up. It was a quick process, and the battery itself cost somewhere between $80-90 USD.

The downside to going with a battery like that is flexibility. A high-capacity battery will probably only work with one or a small number of models, but the Energizer can be used with virtually any computer (and other electronic devices). You'll pay more for that though, and you'll need to remember to set your computer to a low-power/mobile setting if actively using it while plugged in to the Energizer, as it won't detect that it's actually running off of battery power (not that it would be a huge issue).
Old 2013-05-18, 14:38   Link #6
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Another option is to get a higher-capacity battery for your laptop, if your computer's maker supplies one for your model. I had a Toshiba laptop that had a high-capacity battery available; the regular battery lasted around 3.5 hours, but the high-capacity battery put me somewhere between 8-9 hours. The downside to the high-capacity battery was that it altered the form factor, as it had a small cylinder that stuck out of the back of the computer. It was fairly easy to swap out batteries on that laptop, too. When the low-capacity battery began to run low I would hibernate the system, swap the batteries, and then boot back up. It was a quick process, and the battery itself cost somewhere between $80-90 USD.

The downside to going with a battery like that is flexibility. A high-capacity battery will probably only work with one or a small number of models, but the Energizer can be used with virtually any computer (and other electronic devices). You'll pay more for that though, and you'll need to remember to set your computer to a low-power/mobile setting if actively using it while plugged in to the Energizer, as it won't detect that it's actually running off of battery power (not that it would be a huge issue).
Yeah, I decided to get the 18000 energizer pack. While it is a bit costly, I think it will be a worthy investment for the future, if I need to charge other devices as well on the go.
Assuming it works with my laptop (won't know until it is delivered...)