AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-05-29, 14:46   Link #1
BigTyrone

Comp Crashes

Hey everyone, I keep having a problem with my bittorrent client. It will work fine for a while, then the bandwidth will drop down to zero and then just crashes my computer. Can anyone give me links to alternate clients? Or have any solutions for my problem?
BigTyrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-29, 18:31   Link #2
mecharory

possible workaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTyrone
Hey everyone, I keep having a problem with my bittorrent client. It will work fine for a while, then the bandwidth will drop down to zero and then just crashes my computer. Can anyone give me links to alternate clients? Or have any solutions for my problem?
Hey I'm having the same problem. I'm running Windows XP Pro on 2.66 GHz processor with 512 MB. Maybe three days ago I noticed that when I used any bittorrent client (BitTornado, ABC) it would work fine for a while and then the download and upload rates would go to zero and my computer would freeze up if I tried to end the process. It was incredibly annoying.

I've done everything that I could think of to understand the problem i.e. virus scans using multiple anti-virus software packages, trojan scan, spyware scans, testing my RAM with Memtest86,....Nothing has shown me the true nature of the bug.

After doing multiple google searches, people have had somewhat similar problems and have said it's due to faulty RAM or a lack of RAM. I tested my RAM and nothing is wrong with it and also it can't be that I don't have enough RAM because I've had the same amount since this problem suddenly arose.

On one forum I found a poster that had a similar problem with Shareaza and solved it by not minimizing the program to the system tray while it runs. I tried it and it seems to be working so far. I still have no idea why the bug arose and why this workaround seems to work or if it'll keep working in the long run but hey atleast I can still download anime and manga for now while I try to figure it out. I hope it helps.

If anyone has had a similar experience and has found a real solution please share.
mecharory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 08:28   Link #3
Mengqi

Unhappy

Hi,

I also have this similar problem too... and it is really irritating and bother me alot. I'm not a computer expert, so far I only scan my computer with virus prog.. but nothing much thing found.. and I always leave my d/l screen on desktop never minmise to tray .. but it still happen to this.. about RAM, I dun think my ram is prob.. I have 640mb ram.. so it shouldn't be a prob. Anyone would know anyway that can slove this prob.. pls tell us.. thank you.
Old 2004-05-30, 09:31   Link #4
mecharory

I'm still not sure what's going on. It seemed to not be doing it anymore, I left something downloading for hours last night and it worked fine, but when I was downloading another file this morning the same thing happened. I've noticed that if I bring up the download window and the upload and download rates are in the process of decreasing to zero they'll increase and go back to normal, however this is incredibly impractical.

What changes have you made to your computer lately? The only thing that comes to mind for me are that I did a Windows update, installed and uninstalled Overnet, and updated Zone Alarm.

Last edited by mecharory; 2004-05-30 at 09:54.
Old 2004-05-30, 10:06   Link #5
mecharory

possible solution

Hey guys I've been searching the net and I think I might have found a cause. Have you updated Zone Alarm lately? I went to another forum here and other people with the same problem had updated Zone Alarm. One guy said he installed an older version of Zone Alarm and the problem disappeared. I'm going to try that now, I'll let you know if it works.

If you want to try the older versions of Zone Alarm can be found here.

Later: Installed the older version of Zone Alarm. Still testing to see whether the problem is there. So far it seems to be working fine.

Last edited by mecharory; 2004-05-30 at 10:44.
Old 2004-05-30, 11:03   Link #6
Mengqi

Talking

so have u try to install old version of zonealarm? anyway.. does old and new zonealarm make any diff? can protect more or anything? my this version of zonealarm is the lastest version is not a upgrade type.. Hope wat u said will work.. for my last issue when this prob occur was when i disable the windows firewall.. becoz the windows firewall slow down my d/l speed to only 1 - 3 kb/s so I disable it.. and thats all after a day the problem of freezing my computer came in.

EDIT: you are rite mech.. its the za lastest version 5.0 cause the prob.. I have uninstall it and it work fine.. thanks~

Last edited by Mengqi; 2004-05-31 at 11:43.
Mengqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-31, 22:57   Link #7
kupokopu

I have had the same problem for a few days now. I've check my system for ad and virus with everything I have, and nothing works. Then, I realized that the only thing changed in my system is that ZoneAlarm updated. Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I'll be installing older version of ZA then.
kupokopu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-01, 11:39   Link #8
BigTyrone

Hey guys, I fixed it, it definitely was the zonealarm update. Thanks a lot for the help. If it weren't for us computer nerds uniting, we'd be done for. Now back to downloading all day and night, and praying to the GODS OF METAL!!!!
BigTyrone is offline   Reply With Quote