AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 9 10.59%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 15.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 14.12%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 21.18%
6 out of 10 : Average 20 23.53%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 8 9.41%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 4.71%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-05-25, 14:03   Link #61
RPG_Fanatic
Fallere825
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Inside my mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
I think the review of this episode over at Random Curiosity did a pretty good job of explaining the mood of this episode and how well it fits. And those of you who insist that this isn't the mood it's supposed to have, I have to tell you that you are wrong on one very important count. This isn't your Railgun manga. This is the Railgun anime. It is, therefore, not the thing you think it is. You do not know what mood it is supposed to have, because the anime is different from the manga deliberately. Who are you to say this is the "wrong" mood, when it may well be precisely the mood the creators intend for the show to be giving at this point? You folks are judging this by the wrong set of values. You need to stop expecting the anime to be the manga. They are separate entities. If you can't do that, it will be your own expectations that limit your ability to enjoy this series.
In the end of the day, this is an adaption of the Railgun manga. Regardless of what the creators intended this for this show, there are many people who read the manga who are watching this show and wanted the anime to reflect the tone of the manga. There is nothing wrong with them voicing their disappointment when those expectation are not met.

I'm not saying one side is right and another is wrong, every one has their own expectations, and tastes. I just think there is no wrong set of values to apply, since everyone had their own expectations. The anime and manga are separate entities, but they are parallel, so people are going to make comparisons. I think you should stop worrying about people who didn't like this episode since they wanted something different from it and just enjoy the show.
__________________
RPG_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 14:44   Link #62
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPG_Fanatic View Post
In the end of the day, this is an adaption of the Railgun manga. Regardless of what the creators intended this for this show, there are many people who read the manga who are watching this show and wanted the anime to reflect the tone of the manga. There is nothing wrong with them voicing their disappointment when those expectation are not met.
Personally speaking, I think it is totally expected that people would compare to the manga (it's not like it's my first time encountering the Index/Railgun fanbase...), and it's understandable, after the last few weeks of content, that some may not prefer this subject matter and change of pace. However, I do think that dismissing the content as nothing but "pointless 'slice-of-life' filler" that does nothing but "take away from the 'intended' atmosphere" isn't really giving a fair shake to what the content set out to accomplish and why these perspectives are still relevant to this story. I think you can try to understand what something is and what it's trying to accomplish (and why it has some value in the overall narrative), while still also saying that you didn't really enjoy or prefer it.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 17:08   Link #63
Ilidsor
Angelerator
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Well I finally had time to watch the full episode and I'll say that the Kuroko bits were all right. If the show insists on breaking up the arc with scenes of the other characters then that's the way to do it. However that said I didn't like Saten and Uiharu's lines and actions (too light), and I could of done without the kid's sideplot.

If this episode had been Kuroko being all sad and scenes of Mikoto attacking facilities (we definitely should have gotten more than the tiny bit at the end) I would have been happy. As it is I'll give it a 6/10.

As a side note where the heck were those other kids moving to? Considering the hassle people have to go through to leave AC on a break I highly doubt they'll just let students move out. I guess they weren't espers?

Quote:
Look I would have preferred to go on to the main part of the story, but the atmosphere this episode was not some slice of life fluff. It was sad and melancholy. A friend is in trouble, you know she is, and yet you can do nothing to help her.

That fits with the story, it doesn't conflict.
They could have gotten across that feeling without the need for that kids side-story. Like I said above if they had replaced that with scenes of Misaka attacking facilities I would have been fine with this episode.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic112299_1.gif
Ilidsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 17:09   Link #64
RPG_Fanatic
Fallere825
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Inside my mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Personally speaking, I think it is totally expected that people would compare to the manga (it's not like it's my first time encountering the Index/Railgun fanbase...), and it's understandable, after the last few weeks of content, that some may not prefer this subject matter and change of pace. However, I do think that dismissing the content as nothing but "pointless 'slice-of-life' filler" that does nothing but "take away from the 'intended' atmosphere" isn't really giving a fair shake to what the content set out to accomplish and why these perspectives are still relevant to this story. I think you can try to understand what something is and what it's trying to accomplish (and why it has some value in the overall narrative), while still also saying that you didn't really enjoy or prefer it.
I agree. I wasn't trying to imply that the people with different expectation should or are dismissing the content of this episode. I would have liked the plot to have advanced father, but I understand that this is the tone that was set in season 1 and it was expected for it to continue in season 2. As someone who reads the manga I also understand this is the best way to balance out the character's screen time while staying true to the source material. The disappointment of seeing for slow pace of this episode was my strongest feeling after watching it so that is what I wrote about in my post. If I thought the 'slice-of-life' was poorly done, I would given this episode a 1 or 2.

We are a passionate fanbase after all, which is why the forums needed to be split.
Off-topic, and pretty late, but thanks for creating the link to switch between sub-forums, it is really handy.
__________________
RPG_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 17:11   Link #65
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portugal
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Then why were you only blaming Saten if you thought Uiharu was even more annoying?
Because Uiharu gets dragged along


Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
But to act like she ruined the entire episode on her own is a bit extreme don't you think?
Oh, she didn't ruin the episode! I think overall it was fine. But if I had a choice in the matter I would've shortened the segments in which she appeared.
She always seems to defuse the gloomy atmosphere, and that's not necessarily a bad thing...except I think that in the arc, the gloomy atmosphere's a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
You do not know what mood it is supposed to have
Clones getting slaughtered by the thousands, getting legs ripped off and crushed by giant containers usually tends to set a mood...

Some people find it odd that the protagonist is pushing herself to the limit trying to stop the experiments, suddenly scene shifts and we get "OMG, IS THAT THE NEW, ULTRA RARE CAKE?"

Last edited by Dark Faith; 2013-05-25 at 17:12. Reason: typos!
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 17:24   Link #66
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Faith View Post
Clones getting slaughtered by the thousands, getting legs ripped off and crushed by giant containers usually tends to set a mood...

Some people find it odd that the protagonist is pushing herself to the limit trying to stop the experiments, suddenly scene shifts and we get "OMG, IS THAT THE NEW, ULTRA RARE CAKE?"
...but this is exactly the point of the episode. Mikoto is out there pushing herself to the limits on her own while clones are getting slaughtered by the thousands, and the rest of her supposed friends are completely left out of the loop and trying to go about their daily lives. They're basically powerless to help her (and she's deliberately hiding it all from them), but they still want to support her in whatever ways they can. Don't miss that the cake was originally something Kuroko bought for Misaka to try to cheer her up, even though she didn't end up eating it. It's not really about the cake, it's about Kuroko's feelings. It's about what the rest of the characters are experiencing while Misaka's off fighting on her own. If there was no conflict is the "mood", they wouldn't convey that stark contrast.

The fact that what they were experiencing seems infinitely small in contrast is exactly what they were trying to point out here. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't matter. After all, there are only so many Misakas in the world. The rest of us are Kurokos, Uiharus, and Satens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
They could have gotten across that feeling without the need for that kids side-story. Like I said above if they had replaced that with scenes of Misaka attacking facilities I would have been fine with this episode.
But the kids side-story was the illustration for the moral of the story, in a way that showing more "Misaka attacking facilities" would not at all have conveyed. It conveys the desire of trying to do something for your friends even when you're separated -- even if that thing may be small or trivial (like a lucky money card or a four-leaf clover). And that's how the episode culminated: the small thing Kuroko could do for Mikoto at this time is simply to be there for her, wish her well, and welcome her home. That's her four leaf clover. And the rest of the girls are the same. They aren't the heroes and they can't always save the day. Sometimes they're stuck in the background. But they do what they can do to make a difference, and to be there for each other. And that's the message of this episode. If they focused more on Misaka, then you would have missed the real message they were trying to convey. It's not about the person that's "doing", it's about the people left out.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 17:40   Link #67
Kyouka
Is Here
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 23
so how many was killed with all the explosions going around =D small details are always left out
Kyouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 17:45   Link #68
Haigon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Recife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouka View Post
so how many was killed with all the explosions going around =D small details are always left out
None, that was explained in the researchers' talk.
Haigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 17:56   Link #69
Kyouka
Is Here
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haigon View Post
None, that was explained in the researchers' talk.
during one of the attacks thou
Kyouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 18:12   Link #70
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouka View Post
during one of the attacks thou
No one, this was in the source material as well.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 18:14   Link #71
leukrota
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
As a side note where the heck were those other kids moving to? Considering the hassle people have to go through to leave AC on a break I highly doubt they'll just let students move out. I guess they weren't espers?
Remember Harue-Banri's case? If one or more of the friends show promise or are determined useful for an experiment then they are going to get separated, that's how it goes.
leukrota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 21:07   Link #72
Primary Consult
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
As a side note where the heck were those other kids moving to? Considering the hassle people have to go through to leave AC on a break I highly doubt they'll just let students move out. I guess they weren't espers?
I had the same thought... fortunately:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
Remember Harue-Banri's case? If one or more of the friends show promise or are determined useful for an experiment then they are going to get separated, that's how it goes.
This explained it nicely for me. The only other thing I could think of was that maybe their parents couldn't afford to send them to AC any more so they were leaving (as opposed to becoming skill outs).
Primary Consult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 22:06   Link #73
Marina2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
...but this is exactly the point of the episode. Mikoto is out there pushing herself to the limits on her own while clones are getting slaughtered by the thousands, and the rest of her supposed friends are completely left out of the loop and trying to go about their daily lives. They're basically powerless to help her (and she's deliberately hiding it all from them), but they still want to support her in whatever ways they can. Don't miss that the cake was originally something Kuroko bought for Misaka to try to cheer her up, even though she didn't end up eating it. It's not really about the cake, it's about Kuroko's feelings. It's about what the rest of the characters are experiencing while Misaka's off fighting on her own. If there was no conflict is the "mood", they wouldn't convey that stark contrast.
BUT aren't the same thing already showed at the end of ep.7 (cafe scene) in the more time-effective way?

That's scene already given message to us and Mikoto that her friends can't help her, but they still want to support her in whatever ways they can.

Why we need the entire ep. to tell the same message again? Actually, they can cut off all cake scene and finding 4 leaf clover scene. The scene where Kuroko wishes her onee-sama a good luck is enough to give a same "message" as entire ep. in the more effective way.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic44739_1.gif
Marina2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 22:28   Link #74
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
BUT aren't the same thing already showed at the end of ep.7 (cafe scene) in the more time-effective way?

That's scene already given message to us and Mikoto that her friends can't help her, but they still want to support her in whatever ways they can.

Why we need the entire ep. to tell the same message again? Actually, they can cut off all cake scene and finding 4 leaf clover scene. The scene where Kuroko wishes her onee-sama a good luck is enough to give a same "message" as entire ep. in the more effective way.
Because just telling you "oh see: Kuroko and friends care too" is not the same of having you experience what it's like to be in a position where there's something major going on that you have no access to, and there's nothing you can do about it. If you felt frustrated because you were separated from the action and forced to deal with "mundane life" when you know that there are much more important things going on, then guess what: that's exactly what Kuroko feels! It sucks doesn't it? But that's the point. It does suck. But all Kuroko can do is carry on with life, do what she can do, and wait for Mikoto to come home or ask her for help. At least as viewers we know that the story will return to Mikoto's perspective next week. Kuroko is worried and has no idea what will happen, but all she can do is wait indefinitely. I think she has it worse than we do.

You'd never get any of that from a short café scene. It's not about "understanding" what Kuroko and friends are feeling, it's about empathizing with them.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 23:22   Link #75
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Age: 35
To me the point is that it's a matter of taste.

There can be more than one effective way to tell the story. It so happens that in this case I would have preferred they spend less time on this and more on Mikoto. However, the fact that I would prefer something different does not prevent me from realizing that this is a well told and well executed story. I can admire the skill with which this episode was done, and still think that I would have preferred a different way of telling the story.

So I see little point in arguing with people who like the way this story was told because I can see why they like it. I prefer vanilla ice cream, but I understand why people prefer chocolate.
__________________

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 23:39   Link #76
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
To me the point is that it's a matter of taste.
Yes, as I said before, I totally understand anyone not liking/enjoying it. But, at the same time, I don't think people should claim that, because they don't like it, it was without use/purpose. Just understanding the purpose/intention isn't necessarily going to change whether someone enjoys it (particularly if the frustration of not being able to do anything is one of the points being conveyed), though perhaps they might look at it slightly differently if they give it a second chance.

It's not arguing to get people to like it, but only to clarify the (arguably apparent) purpose/intent. (At this point, though, I'm not sure what else there is to say.)
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 00:41   Link #77
aichara
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Somewhere inside my brain.
This week episode, I gave 7/10.

I really appreciates what they do to portray Kuroko's feelings. It's really sad when the person that you're closes with suddenly become a loner and gone missing for nights. Kuroko knew that Mikoto is in trouble and she really wanted to help her but she can't. Mikoto will makes lots of excuses for her to stay out of it. I never seen Kuroko being this sad and hopeless before.

But the rest of the episode, i'll just say..meh. It's okay but not that good or great. Saten sniffing out for cashcards may be funny if the sad atmosphere that Kuroko set up weren't there. The kids, i dont know it should be there or not. They should show us more about Mikoto destroying the facilities but since this is an episode for the other girls, I can't expect more than that.

Anyway, I enjoy the preview better. It just makes me getting excited for next week episode.
aichara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 04:46   Link #78
mistress_kisara
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
I like that they are trying to show Kuroko's feelings in all of these, but it was quite boring. I didn't care much about the searching for the four-leaf clover thing. But I did like the parts where Misaka was destroying the laboratories and it looks like things are going to pick up again next week.
__________________
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 14:37   Link #79
zaeraal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Goingi to put my comments about episode:

1. - It was a bit slow (compared to last episode), but it's better than if it was rushed

2. - I thought the kid Shirai found was a boy at first until they said that it was a girl

3. - Those Saten's quotes were a nice refferences to Daihasei arc and her teasing Uiharu never gets old

4. - Those four clovers wrere a bit cliche (they even said it), but it nicely completed Shirai's character development.

Though it does not make sense that she is so strict with everyone else except her oneesama when it comes to her Judgement duty.
Didn't even allowed the girl to keep the lucky card, while Mikoto is breaking curfev, law and obviously doing dangerous things..

5. - Can't wait till next episode.
zaeraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 17:27   Link #80
RPG_Fanatic
Fallere825
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Inside my mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaeraal View Post
Goingi to put my comments about episode:
2. - I thought the kid Shirai found was a boy at first until they said that it was a girl
Glad I wasn't the only one.
__________________
RPG_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bitching fandom, more brooding

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.