AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 9 10.59%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 15.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 14.12%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 21.18%
6 out of 10 : Average 20 23.53%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 8 9.41%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 4.71%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-05-26, 19:38   Link #81
dniv
Perfect in every way
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaeraal View Post
Goingi to put my comments about episode:

1. - It was a bit slow (compared to last episode), but it's better than if it was rushed

2. - I thought the kid Shirai found was a boy at first until they said that it was a girl

3. - Those Saten's quotes were a nice refferences to Daihasei arc and her teasing Uiharu never gets old

4. - Those four clovers wrere a bit cliche (they even said it), but it nicely completed Shirai's character development.

Though it does not make sense that she is so strict with everyone else except her oneesama when it comes to her Judgement duty.
Didn't even allowed the girl to keep the lucky card, while Mikoto is breaking curfev, law and obviously doing dangerous things..

5. - Can't wait till next episode.
When I watched the subbed version yesterday, like you two guys. I was also really surprised the child was a girl. I thought she just had a high-pitched voice because of the her age.

Yeah the four leafed clovers were cliche. But for the first time I saw Shirai in a nice light that was really different from what I had seen before.

I like how they gave the person who was leading the experiment a name. This makes me hopeful. [mod edit: removed manga hint]

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-05-26 at 22:33.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 20:03   Link #82
freeofgreed
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quite disappointed with this episode. Not the worst filler episode I've ever seen but still filler none the less. I wished that they did this arc in the first 12 episodes then animated the 2 Railgun light novels for the second half. They hinted at one of them in a previous episode but judging by the pacing I doubt they'll do anything with it, since it seems that they're trying to stretch this arc out for the whole 24 episodes.

I wish they'd at least do what they did with season 1 and make the first half cannon and the second half filler so I could just watch the good stuff and stop once the filler started. Only thing stopping me from giving this episode a lower score was the next episode preview which is what i've been waiting so long for!!!
freeofgreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 20:50   Link #83
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
Age: 46
Not a bad episode overall. I guess the story needs a bit of slow-down time after the last episode. Besides, I got to see more of Saten doing Saten things.

~leaves a trail of free-cards leading to his house~

Endless "Oh hi Saten, come on inside." Soul
__________________
VF-19 and VF-22S from Macross Plus
Signature by ganbaru
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 21:00   Link #84
dniv
Perfect in every way
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeofgreed View Post
Quite disappointed with this episode. Not the worst filler episode I've ever seen but still filler none the less. I wished that they did this arc in the first 12 episodes then animated the 2 Railgun light novels for the second half. They hinted at one of them in a previous episode but judging by the pacing I doubt they'll do anything with it, since it seems that they're trying to stretch this arc out for the whole 24 episodes.

I wish they'd at least do what they did with season 1 and make the first half cannon and the second half filler so I could just watch the good stuff and stop once the filler started. Only thing stopping me from giving this episode a lower score was the next episode preview which is what i've been waiting so long for!!!
[mod edit: removed hint about future arc; not allowed in this thread]

Anyway, back on topic: Sisters arc is 15/16 episodes max. And... Filler isn't a bad thing. It is much better to see the perspective of Mikoto's friends and the strained relationship caused, than to just ignore it just so see badassery. It's good to have both. A large, key element of Railgun is this emotional impact and friendship. The first season was all about Mikoto not believing other people would help her and her being all alone by herself. This season shows her, Mikoto, and now also Shirai regressing to that stage (when they were younger) when they couldn't trust other people. (Mikoto when she first met Touma, Shirai in the bank robbery scene). These points make really good continuity.

I liked this episode for the same reason I'm sure people say makes them hate Haruue... I like continuity. Why take out Haruue when she was really important in the first season? People can have their opinions, but I really think that showing continued relationships between protagonists and paying special attention to the growth and mental development of different characters really contributes to a season like this whose focus is on a strong friendship that is strained and strong characters that become mentally unstable as we saw in episodes 5, 6, and 7.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-05-26 at 22:34. Reason: no spoilers/hints
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 21:26   Link #85
Haigon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Recife
Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
I liked this episode for the same reason I'm sure people say makes them hate Haruue... I like continuity. Why take out Haruue when she was really important in the first season?
Well, the plot of the Raildex franchise is all about it, a side character gets spotlight on a arc, the arc ends thay goes to the fridge until they fit in on the next plot even if they are important in story, see the Big Spider guy.

Ps.: I don't dislike Haruue
Haigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 21:43   Link #86
dniv
Perfect in every way
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haigon View Post
Well, the plot of the Raildex franchise is all about it, a side character gets spotlight on a arc, the arc ends thay goes to the fridge until they fit in on the next plot even if they are important in story, see the Big Spider guy.

Ps.: I don't dislike Haruue
Maybe, I made that unclear. I'm saying Haruue is nice to have in there. Why take her out? I understand the Big Spider guy not exactly fitting in as much, but he could be there with Konori once in a while... I guess... But the side characters, are liked by the people who like the raildex franchise after they fade out of the spotlight and they can come back again later. In this case, people just say Haruue is silly and shouldn't be back in the story at all... I don't see why it's a bad thing for them to stress continuity.

I meant it in the same way here that Kuroko, a main character, definitely needs these developments once in a while to let us see things about the characters.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 15:55   Link #87
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Italy
Age: 24
Despite being a filler episode, it was very interesting. Quite interesting how good the staff is.
__________________
Ipsa scientia potestas est.

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

kache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-28, 12:14   Link #88
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Like this episode since it show where was the rest of the Railgun gang when Mikoto goes on a rampage.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 02:18   Link #89
Marcus H.
Tea and Crumpets from NY
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: the Philippines
Quote:
Yeah the four leafed clovers were cliche.
But what's involved in the four leaf clover scene is Kuroko, who has been known in the anime as the type of person who only believes in empirical truths and not urban legends.

This episode reveals the side of Railgun that the manga series sometimes fails to deliver. That amidst all that action of the protagonist is a group of friends that want to help but is either too powerless or doesn't know about their friend's inner struggles. That and the fact that they and their voice actors are no longer the center of attention right now.

Ah well, good luck to Kanae Itou and Aki Toyosaki for their roles in the future! XD
__________________
Marcus' Handpicked!
Spring 2015: Gintama (2015), Hibike! Euphonium, Shokugeki no Souma, High School DxD BorN,
Kekkai Sensen, Oregairu Zoku, and Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu.
LIGHT NOVEL CHALLENGE: Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatte Iru Darou ka?.


Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 32. Completed: 241. Plan to watch: 32.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 18:59   Link #90
freeofgreed
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
[mod edit: removed hint about future arc; not allowed in this thread]

Anyway, back on topic: Sisters arc is 15/16 episodes max. And... Filler isn't a bad thing. It is much better to see the perspective of Mikoto's friends and the strained relationship caused, than to just ignore it just so see badassery. It's good to have both. A large, key element of Railgun is this emotional impact and friendship. The first season was all about Mikoto not believing other people would help her and her being all alone by herself. This season shows her, Mikoto, and now also Shirai regressing to that stage (when they were younger) when they couldn't trust other people. (Mikoto when she first met Touma, Shirai in the bank robbery scene). These points make really good continuity.

I liked this episode for the same reason I'm sure people say makes them hate Haruue... I like continuity. Why take out Haruue when she was really important in the first season? People can have their opinions, but I really think that showing continued relationships between protagonists and paying special attention to the growth and mental development of different characters really contributes to a season like this whose focus is on a strong friendship that is strained and strong characters that become mentally unstable as we saw in episodes 5, 6, and 7.
Could you PM the first part of your post since it was deleted?

My main issue with filler is that it's almost always universally of a lower quality than the adapted medium. Now so far all of the filler that we've seen in S hasn't been that bad, there was nothing that made me want stop watching the episode, however there was nothing that I enjoyed about it either. The whole time I was just wishing for them to get back to the plot.

Also while I agree with your point about continuity, Haruue's inclusion as a filler character last season is giving birth to more filler this season, which is another negative aspect of filler.

Episode 1 being filler, I didn't mind since it served as a reintroduction, but this episode's filler was completely pointless, aside from the fact that it didn't advance the plot, there was no character development what so ever, just reinforcement of character traits we already knew the girls had. And even if there was significant character development, it'd have to be ignored for fear of it contradicting the cannon.

All in all, even though I dislike filler I get why it exists for shows like Naruto or Bleach, but for a show like this that not only has a limited amount of episodes, but also has material that will get won't get animated because of filler, having filler is kind of a kick in the balls. However if there was some filler about the girls In the preview, I don't think I'd mind that at all
freeofgreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 21:54   Link #91
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeofgreed View Post
...this episode's filler was completely pointless, aside from the fact that it didn't advance the plot, there was no character development what so ever, just reinforcement of character traits we already knew the girls had.
I get that people didn't enjoy it, but I still don't understand why people are so insistent on it being pointless, even though the point has been explained many times over. Not seeing the value in spending time expounding the point is not the same as there not being a point at all.

Anyway, I'll just point to some of my own posts, but really this has been discussed so many times throughout this thread already.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...90#post4696990
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...00#post4696700


Quote:
Originally Posted by freeofgreed View Post
All in all, even though I dislike filler I get why it exists for shows like Naruto or Bleach, but for a show like this that not only has a limited amount of episodes, but also has material that will get won't get animated because of filler, having filler is kind of a kick in the balls. However if there was some filler about the girls In the preview, I don't think I'd mind that at all
There's no sign yet that any of the manga material won't get animated eventually. It may not get animated this season, but they have to organize the show the have logical stopping points anyway, aligned with the 24-episode count. They're not going to end the season in the middle of an arc. And they also said to start with that the Sister's arc would be the primary focus, hence they're spending extra time on it.

Anyway, this too has already been addressed many times. They're not kicking you in the balls by any means, but the role of the other "main characters" during this arc is a perfectly valid consideration for this anime, even if what they're doing isn't that thrilling (which is also the point).
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-30, 01:45   Link #92
Destined_Fate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: "Sacrifice one to appease the few."
Pony Tail Misaka is adorable.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-30, 06:27   Link #93
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Pony Tail Misaka is adorable.
She's supposed to look sinister.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-30, 23:02   Link #94
Primary Consult
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 30
I would say adorably sinister.

That frame at the end of the episode is one of my favorites. I'd rank it #2 for the Index universe below my current avatar.

Though that does remind me of a complaint I have: at the beginning of the episode when Mikoto jumps off the building, they once again fail to show how she lands unharmed from tall heights. We know how from scenes in episode 12 and 24 but they haven't shown it at all this season - any newcomers might think it's just "rule of cool".
Primary Consult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 00:23   Link #95
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primary Consult View Post
Though that does remind me of a complaint I have: at the beginning of the episode when Mikoto jumps off the building, they once again fail to show how she lands unharmed from tall heights. We know how from scenes in episode 12 and 24 but they haven't shown it at all this season - any newcomers might think it's just "rule of cool".
Well, while I think it's possible for people to jump into this show in the second season, I don't think they're really expecting it. That's probably not the only thing they'd be confused about.

(And besides, even if there is an "explanation", it still really is the "rule of cool" -- they just wrote an in-narrative explanation about why it makes sense. )
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 00:32   Link #96
Destined_Fate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: "Sacrifice one to appease the few."
I can see her using her electromagnetic power stuff as she nears the ground to slow her fall like in the OP.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 21:10   Link #97
freeofgreed
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I get that people didn't enjoy it, but I still don't understand why people are so insistent on it being pointless, even though the point has been explained many times over. Not seeing the value in spending time expounding the point is not the same as there not being a point at all.

Anyway, I'll just point to some of my own posts, but really this has been discussed so many times throughout this thread already.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...90#post4696990
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...00#post4696700
I read your post and I guess I should've said unnecessary instead of pointless. You made a good point in your post about how the filler actually does have meaning. But what I meant with my initial comment was more of that filler is unnecessary. Why? Because while reading the manga, I already knew how much Kuroko cared about Misaka and how much she wanted to be there to help her. The manga was able to portray this in a much concise manor without having to resort to focusing on Kuroko finding a card for some girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
There's no sign yet that any of the manga material won't get animated eventually.
The sign I'am using is Index. Index 2 came out pretty soon after the original ended, and the only reason we didn't get it sooner was because they did Railgun in the middle, yet it's been nearly 2 years since Index 2 ended and even though we've gotten a movie, there's been no indication whatsoever that the series will continue to be animated. So if that could happen to the main series what's the guarantee that the side series will get any better treatment?

Now I'am not saying that we won't get an Index 3, or a Railgun 3, but my point is even if we do there will still be some gap in time Between S and their release. Which is why I want as much enjoyment from S as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
They're not kicking you in the balls by any means, but the role of the other "main characters" during this arc is a perfectly valid consideration for this anime, even if what they're doing isn't that thrilling (which is also the point).
In my opinion, the primary consideration for an anime based on a manga should be to adapt that manga, and no other "consideration" should take precedence over that.
freeofgreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 23:34   Link #98
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeofgreed View Post
But what I meant with my initial comment was more of that filler is unnecessary. Why? Because while reading the manga, I already knew how much Kuroko cared about Misaka and how much she wanted to be there to help her. The manga was able to portray this in a much concise manor without having to resort to focusing on Kuroko finding a card for some girl.

[...] In my opinion, the primary consideration for an anime based on a manga should be to adapt that manga, and no other "consideration" should take precedence over that.
All I would say is that this anime has never strictly followed the manga, and already has a known pattern (in the first season) of adding additional focus on the other heroines in the story. A focus that -- I understand -- the original manga lacks. So it's totally logical and expected that the anime would insert some additional focus on the other main characters when it makes sense in the story to do so, and this was already what was advertised/promised.

Being "concise" is not necessarily their objective, and it needn't be given that they have enough time. And in the meantime it presents a broader perspective that the story's original version lacked... even if you don't see the value added. I still think the way it was presented adds value in a way that a more "concise" version may not, so it's an opinion. But then again, I have not read the manga, nor do I intend to any time soon.


Quote:
Originally Posted by freeofgreed View Post
Now I'am not saying that we won't get an Index 3, or a Railgun 3, but my point is even if we do there will still be some gap in time Between S and their release. Which is why I want as much enjoyment from S as possible.
Yes, but, they still need to plan the season to fit the available content into the time available. They're not going to want to end in the middle of an arc, and it's difficult to adapt an arc that isn't yet finished.

Again, you should already know the way the first season was adapted. Based on it's success, it's logical to expect the same approach here.


Edit: In the end, I know that discussing this is pretty pointless, because pretty much any anime-original changes will be heavily-criticized unless they increase the action, because many of the manga readers see it as an action manga. Railgun has never been an action anime, even though it does have action scenes, but this balance of elements is the source of much consternation. Nothing I say is going to change the opinion these manga readers bring to the equation. (That doesn't mean that it's all action-biased manga readers... but that's certainly an element.)
__________________
[...]

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-05-31 at 23:46.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 02:24   Link #99
dniv
Perfect in every way
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
All I would say is that this anime has never strictly followed the manga, and already has a known pattern (in the first season) of adding additional focus on the other heroines in the story. A focus that -- I understand -- the original manga lacks. So it's totally logical and expected that the anime would insert some additional focus on the other main characters when it makes sense in the story to do so, and this was already what was advertised/promised.

Being "concise" is not necessarily their objective, and it needn't be given that they have enough time. And in the meantime it presents a broader perspective that the story's original version lacked... even if you don't see the value added. I still think the way it was presented adds value in a way that a more "concise" version may not, so it's an opinion. But then again, I have not read the manga, nor do I intend to any time soon.


Yes, but, they still need to plan the season to fit the available content into the time available. They're not going to want to end in the middle of an arc, and it's difficult to adapt an arc that isn't yet finished.

Again, you should already know the way the first season was adapted. Based on it's success, it's logical to expect the same approach here.


Edit: In the end, I know that discussing this is pretty pointless, because pretty much any anime-original changes will be heavily-criticized unless they increase the action, because many of the manga readers see it as an action manga. Railgun has never been an action anime, even though it does have action scenes, but this balance of elements is the source of much consternation. Nothing I say is going to change the opinion these manga readers bring to the equation. (That doesn't mean that it's all action-biased manga readers... but that's certainly an element.)
I largely agree with you actually. I enjoy both the emotional scenes and the actioney scenes. Railgun S has some great action scenes, but I liked episode 7. I think that we should be a little more open-minded in what we're watching, in general. Sure, different people have different tastes, but Railgun is separate/distinct from Index in terms of its overall feel. Whether or not both series happen in the same world: Index is more fast paced/actioney in developing characters while railgun is fast paced at times and better develops characters through slow-paced scenes. I actually thought part of the reason episode 6's fight between Railgun and Accelerator wasn't as great as it could have been because they rushed the fight. Railgun is better at drawn out character development, not very quick idealistic speech development.

Of course, episode 6 was still excellent in my opinion though. We should appreciate the fact that this anime certainly has a lot of non-action parts. However, I do understand why people would get annoyed when characters who will reappear later in Index are introduced sub-par. This hasn't happened though. I like the character development we've seen so far, so we should try and be happy and appreciate it. This arc is supposed to be one of the most emotional arcs in Raildex (Actually), so I really feel like people shouldn't just be expecting battles...
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 07:09   Link #100
Ilidsor
Angelerator
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
All I would say is that this anime has never strictly followed the manga, and already has a known pattern (in the first season) of adding additional focus on the other heroines in the story. A focus that -- I understand -- the original manga lacks. So it's totally logical and expected that the anime would insert some additional focus on the other main characters when it makes sense in the story to do so, and this was already what was advertised/promised.
See I knew that they would be adding in filler scenes around the other girls so I was expecting it, my problem is that they're doing it at the wrong time. You haven't read the manga so let me just tell you that there's a point in this story that would be perfect for this sort of episode. Where this would have fit perfectly with the pacing rather than taking away from it. I just don't get why they can't wait until then.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic112299_1.gif
Ilidsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bitching fandom, more brooding

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.