AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-11-24, 13:54   Link #201
Blaat
AS member for 10 years

Not enough heralds for me to fully enjoy the episode.

Personally I would have picked the striped tie, also is it me or does Hiwako have a much better hairstyle when she was younger. I guess I'm not a fan of pony tails.
Old 2013-11-24, 15:28   Link #202
ookamigirl

I really like this anime.
Kinda reminds me Kamisama Hajimemashita in some ways.
Nothing special this time.
Just mostly the usual school + life of girls.
It's a shame the heralds were sidelined this time..
I got used to seeing them in the center of everything.
Oh, but it seems Hiwako's driver has been developing some interesting feelings..

ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 15:32   Link #203
Flower
Purrrfectly cuddly! ^^

Just finished ep 8, and while I enjoyed it and all it kinda made me scratch my head. Last ep focused on the main male in Yumi's life in terms of romantics, and this ep seemed to do that with Funabashi as well... but while I can see the pattern in retrospect while it was going on I found myself scratching my head and wondering if the narrative was building the ground for a future development?

Again, it is not that I minded the ep at all - it is just the absence of the heralds presence and the focus on... well, human things, I guess kinda surprised me. There was a little bit of the main sauce of the series thrown in at the end with Gin's remarks that the humans are filled with all kinds of wierdnesses, but that was it.

Next week looks like it will focus on the males in the lives of the young girls who visit the shrine, it seems - the ones that pop up in the OP, no doubt. I wonder if a future ep will focus on the kind old lady that visits the shrine too?

I guess the surprise for me is that the series seems to be doing world building in dimensions larger than I had expected - I wonder if it heralds (no pun intended) another season, or something else? Like the last "mini-arc" of this series?

Well, nothing to do except wait for next week! ^^
Old 2013-11-24, 16:31   Link #204
AntonKutovoi

NEED. MORE. SUGITA. Well, now he's in 4 animes I'm watching this season (Samurai Flamenco, Kanetsugu to Keiji, Blazblue and now Gingitsune).

Overall, it was a nice, cute episode, but nothing special.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-24, 17:49   Link #205
HandofFate

Yea, I don't think there's any big picture story this anime is building up lol.
Bare bones slice of life about a town with a shrine.

As a guy, I would hate getting a tie as a present lol. Its like giving the wife a vacuum cleaner or dish washer.

Their was so much attention the driver fretting over his cellphone being broke, but it didn't lead to anything. I thought it would turn out he kept baby pictures of her or something.

Also, is medical care in Japan cheap? Everyone seems to want to go to the hospital for just having a slight fever or stomachache. When it would cost like $200-300 in the states just for walking in, in most cases...
Old 2013-11-24, 17:50   Link #206
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was a nice episode but there was indeed a serious lack of heralds. The show isn't quite as interesting without them.
Old 2013-11-24, 17:50   Link #207
Haak
Forever Alone...

Episode 8

I was also a little confused at this sudden shift in focus on a total throw away character so I'm glad the episode ended on the fox heralds to reveal the true context. It would have been awfully weird for a show about yokai to have an episode completely unrelated to yokai. The thing about these types of episodes though, is that you need to be a truly exceptional writer to make it work because it's very hard to shift focus on to a character whose relevance isn't immediately obvious and which will only last the episode and still make them compelling in under 20 minutes. This is especially true if the show already has characters the viewers would rather have the focus on. Unfortunately I didn't think Mr Driver was compelling enough but the lesson at the end of the episode was good which somewhat made up for it. And btw, Sugita did a good job of making me hate his character's guts within 30 seconds of his screentime. I hope that clown remains a loser forever.

Oh and just to be absolutely clear...

...I might not hate this show anymore. My fanboy senses detect a Kanae Itou voiced character next week for another show so for now it just gets a mild dislike.
Old 2013-11-24, 22:10   Link #208
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

A Hiwako epiosde and she showing off her cute side
Old 2013-11-24, 22:50   Link #209
Eclipze

Well, the episode did kind of highlight Hiwako's supposed "preference" for older man, with the way she reacted to Makoto's father in a previous episode. It seems that Hiwako has a yearning to bond with her father, and as such probably led to her being more attracted to fatherly figures.

As for her love life, whether it is the student council president, mr driver or Makoto's father, none of those seem like easy paths to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I guess the surprise for me is that the series seems to be doing world building in dimensions larger than I had expected - I wonder if it heralds (no pun intended) another season, or something else? Like the last "mini-arc" of this series?
Well, a similar series you could compare to would be Natsume Yuujinchou, which has had 3 sequels under its belt (52 episodes). It didn't necessarily lead up to some grand final arc within the series (then again I only watched the first 3 seasons), but just carried on with episodic, slice-of-life episodes.

This show is very much character driven as well, even if the Heralds are supposedly the main theme of the series. I didn't feel as though this episode is out of place, since it focused on a possible love interest for Hiwako.
Old 2013-11-25, 21:02   Link #210
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Maybe it's because I really don't care for Hiwako, but this episode...while it didn't suck exactly(I'm actually kind of interested in what Hiwako's deal is. Why was she so conservative and cold?)...the heralds MAKE this series.

Goddamn Haru is sooo freaking cute....
Old 2013-11-28, 16:57   Link #211
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post

Also, is medical care in Japan cheap? Everyone seems to want to go to the hospital for just having a slight fever or stomachache. When it would cost like $200-300 in the states just for walking in, in most cases...
I believe they had goverment sponsored health car if I remember currently...
Old 2013-12-01, 14:42   Link #212
ookamigirl

Spoiler for plot:

ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 14:42   Link #213
Dop
We can't stop here...

Episode 9 is just such a wonderfully FUN episode all the way through.
People wanting more of the heralds will not be disappointed with this, completely focusing on Haru and Gin and almost completely set at the shrine, this episode was just brilliant.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 14:45   Link #214
Flower
Purrrfectly cuddly! ^^

Hmm... I was wrong in my guess. Ep 9 did highlight the children, introducing the boys in the OP, but they were not the main focus.

The main focus was Haru and (if I am not mistaken) the beginning of her relationships with everyone in the place she now finds herself, including Gin and Tatsuo... and possibly including the regulars to the shrine. Turns out the kind old lady who visits the shrine is the grandmother of the pack leader of the boys introduced - an unexpected twist for me.

In this sense I was glad to see the focus swing back to the heralds. Though I must admit I was kinda surprised to see what appeared to be playful hintings at the possible future of Gin and Haru.

I liked the scene in particular with Tatsuo and the children apologizing to him when the sun shower began - Tatsuo's gentle approach was refreshing, and the few scenes of his character showing up today really strengthen his image as a fine person. It became especially clear to me that Makoto did not roll too far away from the tree, as the saying goes. If votes for best supporting chara for anime 2013 series were being made, he certainly would deserve attention, in my opinion.

Was totally shocked to see Satoru burst into laughter, by the way. What a difference since he first came to the shrine! Also must admit that when the old lady was talking about how her grandfather (or was it great-grandfather? I forget...) told her that the inari danced on the roof of a nearby shrine I suddenly had an image of Gin and Haru dancing - the disconnect between that image and that of the current cantakerous, fussy, grumpy good-hearted heralds made me giggle aloud. ^^
Old 2013-12-01, 15:09   Link #215
Blaat
AS member for 10 years

It has to be said Gin's reaction when Haru threw away the mandarin was priceless.
Old 2013-12-01, 15:21   Link #216
HandofFate

Even if the dad can't see heralds, what about when Haru threw the orange at Gin?
Wouldn't he see an orange floating thru the air by itself? lol.
Old 2013-12-01, 17:09   Link #217
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

We were complaining about the lack of heralds last week and now we get an episode entirely focused on them, isn't it nice? I for one certainly loved it. Haru is slowly starting to settle in at the shrine. Her interactions with Gintaro were very pleasant. He'll never admit it but I think he's happy to get some company. Haru has made the shrine a lot more lively than it used to be. Haru is still on the bratty side but she was adorable this episode. I enjoyed her little "adventure" outside of the shrine, she didn't go very far but she still managed to get lost

I learned something new once again today. I didn't know they referred to sunshowers as "Fox's wedding" in Japan. After googling a bit, I found out a lot of countries have similar sayings. They talk about wolf, leopard, or monkey weddings. I wonder if they all have the same origin?
Old 2013-12-01, 17:20   Link #218
Flower
Purrrfectly cuddly! ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
... Ilearned something new once again today. I didn't know they referred to sunshowers as "Fox's wedding" in Japan. After googling a bit, I found out a lot of countries have similar sayings. They talk about wolf, leopard, or monkey weddings. I wonder if they all have the same origin?
First I came across the term was actually in an Aria episode (wonder if anyone else remember's that one?), so when Haru mentioned drizzle I wondered if they were going to bring in the sunshower thingee. But gotta admit that the rainbow was a nice touch. ^^
Old 2013-12-01, 17:26   Link #219
Haak
Forever Alone...

Episode 9

That was a really nice focus on how much Haru has adapted to life at her new home and the reactions are as priceless as ever. My favourite was when Gin laughs victoriously when he finds out Haru likes cream buns...

And after watching the recent Strike the Blood episode, I now hate this show even more...
Old 2013-12-01, 17:28   Link #220
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
First I came across the term was actually in an Aria episode (wonder if anyone else remember's that one?), so when Haru mentioned drizzle I wondered if they were going to bring in the sunshower thingee. But gotta admit that the rainbow was a nice touch. ^^
Oh right, I remember that. I thought it was something exclusive to Aria back then though.

Tags
fantasy, shrine maiden, slice of life