AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

View Poll Results: Suisei no Gargantia - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 9 13.24%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 30.88%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 33.82%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 11.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 5.88%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.47%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.47%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-05-26, 19:00   Link #41
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I'm right behind you
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
Ledo seems to be using his pistol to sharpen the harpoon at one point, so he at least had some hand in it.

I find myself not disliking Pinion mostly because of the Katsuyuki Konishi aspect.

Incidentally, hearing of Ridget's father "Chevron" reminded me of the peculiarities of how people got named on this series... Bevel, Bellows, Chevron, Flange, Pinion in the pointy hardware section, Ridget, Lukkage/Rackage, Melty (!) in the messed-up names section, Fairlock in the nautical-names-that-sound-like-shout-outs-to-other-shows section, and then plain old Amy and Joe.
Maybe they meant to call Melty "Melody" or something. But then, I've seen that word pop up in a lot of Engrish, like Minori Chihara's "Melty Tale Storage" and "Melty Blood".
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 19:17   Link #42
yankky5
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Between a dragon(China) and a kangaroo(Australia)
So much conflicting emotions this ep :/
__________________
http://www.wallpaperhere.com/thumbnails/detail/20111109/4eba21545dc9a.jpg
yankky5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 19:25   Link #43
LKK
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Age: 52
I forgot to say this earlier. I'm impressed that this anime acknowledges the vast distances in space. So many science fiction stories, in anime and in other mediums, tend to gloss over the distance. 6000+ years for the SOS signal to reach the Galactic Alliance. My astronomy-interested heart jumped for joy at reading that line.
__________________

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 19:48   Link #44
Irenesharda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
You have a point. It would be more meaningful if he had to make a choice, but I disagree it would be meaningless if he was stuck. The show is addressed to young people who are about to or recently entered society. They're the same as Ledo: they suddenly end up in a relatively foreign environment, have to adapt to it and learn what living in society is about. They don't have the option to go back to their former lives.

What really matters is that Ledo embraces his new life. He doesn't necessarily need the option to go back in order to hammer that home to the viewers. He's already started to think for himself and realize life in the Alliance kind of sucks, since he is now fighting to protect Amy and Bebel's lifestyle. He doesn't want Gargantia to become another Galactic Alliance, and that in itself already says a lot.
I think he cares about Gargantia and it is a place that he's been able to find himself to a certain degree. However, I have to say that I don't see him thinking of the place as home. Not once has he ever really given a serious thought to staying. I also don't think he is in "love" with Amy as she is with him. I think he sees her more as a close friend and comrade. He cares for Gargantia and its inhabitants because they are his fellow human beings and they have become close to him. He wants to protect them even if it means giving his life.

Also, there the fact, that even if he did want to stay, I don't think Red's sense of duty would allow him to abandon the Alliance. He wouldn't leave his fellow soldiers and home in the GA to die to the space Hideauze. If given the choice and he would be able to go home, I think he would.
__________________
"Someone who cannot forgive lies or secrets, will never trust another."

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 20:12   Link #45
BoyTitan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Buffalo,Newyork
Age: 22
A funeral to a character I barely know. Who notable actions I or no viewer can name, Who was a good leader to the viewer only because it was said he was why should I care.Who barely had any screen time ya ok let so make a whole episode about his funeral.

Crappy speech from a character who for most of the series was a stuck up are way is right yours is wrong ditch it peace loving hippie why should I care.

Also we had another five minutes of Amy and the girls talking about men because apparently all 15 year old girls in this series think about is reproducing,eat sleep reproduce that sounds real fun.

Only good thing is Ledo actually defended himself in a argument with the sick kid I wana be yoda instead of being dumb founded and having no response to anything he says.


This episode sucked this series is sucking I want my wasted braincells back. Uro can't character develop or create series to stir social arguments worth of crap.Stick to killing off cute stuff for shock value because so far psycho pass went from good to crap and this series is going from crap to crappier.
__________________
BoyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 20:26   Link #46
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Well I actually came here to comment about another wonderful episode of this series, but I almost only read complaints so far. Wow! Well, I suppose I'm in the minority, but I'm really enjoying this series so far. Though judging from the poll I see a lot of 8s and 9s. It seems that those who actually enjoyed this episode preferred to just vote and say nothing.

Personally I think the pacing was a precise choice and not an error at all. I think that this episode was meant to provide a pause to make the characters and the watchers reflect. This is a turning point that preludes to many changes for the Gargantia and the story. This pause was necessary to create a reassessment of people's thoughts, objectives and roles.

Ledo was able to restate his determination with a cooler mind and I'm glad to see that he actually has a good reason to defeat the Hideauze and that he's not just driven by his hate or a desire to fight. Though he simply cannot conceive the possibility that what he knows about the Hideauze might not be truth or the whole truth. On the other side Bevel doesn't really have any good argument to prove that he is wrong. In the end he knows even less about the whalesquids than Ledo does.

It seems that Ledo reached the conclusion that a slashing weapon will be more effective to slay Hideauze in the depths of the ocean. It's funny how the old metal weapon can still have its uses for a hyperfuturistic robot capable of gravity control.

The fact that communicating with the alliance will take more than 6000 years is really very strange...

As it's been said it can only mean two things:

1) So much for subspace or quantum entanglement communication devices they are using the old styled radio signals. That means the Alliance is somewhere in the milky way. However if that was the case it simply didn't make any sense for Ledo or Chamber to expect an answer. They should have known that radio waves are slow as hell (astronomically speaking) and they are extremely inefficient for space communications. Stars are rarely closer than 2 or 3 light years. In the best possible scenario they couldn't expect a shorter waiting time.

2) They are using some kind of FTL communication system, but they are so far away from the alliance that it will still take 6k years to arrive. That would practically mean that the alliance is on a different galaxy entirely, which would make me wonder why did they need to go that far away. And it makes it even harder to understand how come they never found a single colonizable planet. Moreover Chamber said that to return home they need subspace travel, which means subspace travel would be fast enough, which in turns means that the communication system they use is significantly slower than subspace travel. This makes the option number 1 more likely to be true.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 20:27   Link #47
sky black swordman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
I'm starting to find myself hating Pinion, not only is the guy planning on using Ledo and Chamber for profit and revenge (I'm assuming his brother was killed by a whalesquid) but he is now setting up Ledo to take the fall if Ledo fail to protect the ships that left the fleet from whalesquids'.
__________________
Date A Live -Tohka Yatogami
sky black swordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 20:43   Link #48
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
Age: 46
I don't really get the hate that Fairlock is receiving on this thread. Yeah, I understand that we've only known him for 8 episodes, however, we only came in near the end of his life. The Gargantians have known him his entire life. Of course his funeral procession is a big deal to them. And you guys want to hate on fact that someone important to them has died and they want to spend some time to pay their respects?

On another note, that's a pretty wicked lance/harpoon Ledo has created. I wonder how effective it will be. I guess we'll find out in the next episode.

Endless "Man the harpoons!" Soul
__________________
VF-19 and VF-22S from Macross Plus
Signature by ganbaru
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 20:51   Link #49
Irenesharda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Well I actually came here to comment about another wonderful episode of this series, but I almost only read complaints so far. Wow! Well, I suppose I'm in the minority, but I'm really enjoying this series so far. Though judging from the poll I see a lot of 8s and 9s. It seems that those who actually enjoyed this episode preferred to just vote and say nothing.

Personally I think the pacing was a precise choice and not an error at all. I think that this episode was meant to provide a pause to make the characters and the watchers reflect. This is a turning point that preludes to many changes for the Gargantia and the story. This pause was necessary to create a reassessment of people's thoughts, objectives and roles.

Ledo was able to restate his determination with a cooler mind and I'm glad to see that he actually has a good reason to defeat the Hideauze and that he's not just driven by his hate or a desire to fight. Though he simply cannot conceive the possibility that what he knows about the Hideauze might not be truth or the whole truth. On the other side Bevel doesn't really have any good argument to prove that he is wrong. In the end he knows even less about the whalesquids than Ledo does.

It seems that Ledo reached the conclusion that a slashing weapon will be more effective to slay Hideauze in the depths of the ocean. It's funny how the old metal weapon can still have its uses for a hyperfuturistic robot capable of gravity control.

The fact that communicating with the alliance will take more than 6000 years is really very strange...

As it's been said it can only mean two things:

1) So much for subspace or quantum entanglement communication devices they are using the old styled radio signals. That means the Alliance is somewhere in the milky way. However if that was the case it simply didn't make any sense for Ledo or Chamber to expect an answer. They should have known that radio waves are slow as hell (astronomically speaking) and they are extremely inefficient for space communications. Stars are rarely closer than 2 or 3 light years. In the best possible scenario they couldn't expect a shorter waiting time.

2) They are using some kind of FTL communication system, but they are so far away from the alliance that it will still take 6k years to arrive. That would practically mean that the alliance is on a different galaxy entirely, which would make me wonder why did they need to go that far away. And it makes it even harder to understand how come they never found a single colonizable planet. Moreover Chamber said that to return home they need subspace travel, which means subspace travel would be fast enough, which in turns means that the communication system they use is significantly slower than subspace travel. This makes the option number 1 more likely to be true.
I liked the episode even if I do think that the series as a whole is lacking and slightly falling short of expectations. I think that they went off track with this show mid-series and now that they are now suddenly bringing the serious stuff now back to the forefront without any backing for it, the experience is jarring for most of the general audience.

As to the communication issue, Chamber sent that SOS signal himself six months before they were even found by Gargantia, so it wasn't sent using conventional radio. However it is stated that the Alliance IS in the Milky Way galaxy, however they are so far away (I think someone mentioned 6,000 light years), so far away that I'd say that it was more than the Alliance SOS beacon was made to transmit and thus it would take ~6500 earth years to reach them. The Alliance uses wormhole technology to travel around so the distance isn't that hard for them, but Chamber alone doesn't have that tech. We forget that as advanced as Chamber is, he's actually one of the many lower soldier mechs and so probably wasn't expected to need such tech.
__________________
"Someone who cannot forgive lies or secrets, will never trust another."

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 20:54   Link #50
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Admitted Ridget is woefully not ready for the leadership she admits that and what is to come. She didn't ask Ledo how dangerous Hideauze can be.

Not listening to Ledo comes from her own youth and trying to maintain her image of a stable Gargatia.

Sorry but the band leader just died and the band broke.

While Bellows comments the others are fools she is too fatalistic. Much the same way her ship was pirated. Then it turns out the pirates aint just leaving with the loot they are going to harm your crew. In her own way Bellows is naive.

Thus we see two mindsets that split the fleet. One thinks fatalistically and is fine with stagnation , the other wants to advance and improve their lot in life even if it means to take risks.

Well for the former they have an untested chosen leader. People don't have much confidence on that.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 20:55   Link #51
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
Judging by the comments here if this show ends the way I think it's going to end. Well I should mentally prepare for the rage posts....
__________________
Dark Wing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 20:56   Link #52
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I'm right behind you
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I don't really get the hate that Fairlock is receiving on this thread. Yeah, I understand that we've only known him for 8 episodes, however, we only came in near the end of his life. The Gargantians have known him his entire life. Of course his funeral procession is a big deal to them. And you guys want to hate on fact that someone important to them has died and they want to spend some time to pay their respects?

On another note, that's a pretty wicked lance/harpoon Ledo has created. I wonder how effective it will be. I guess we'll find out in the next episode.

Endless "Man the harpoons!" Soul
I think most people didn't hate him so much as think that he wasn't very well developed. Yes, I could understand his funeral being a big event, but I don't know if it had to be the main focus of this episode.

Personally I can cut some slack on this (I somewhat think the funeral was in the show's general spirit), but I think there should've been more foreshadowing to his heart troubles.
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 21:03   Link #53
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I don't really get the hate that Fairlock is receiving on this thread. Yeah, I understand that we've only known him for 8 episodes, however, we only came in near the end of his life. The Gargantians have known him his entire life. Of course his funeral procession is a big deal to them. And you guys want to hate on fact that someone important to them has died and they want to spend some time to pay their respects?
It's not that they're giving him hate. It's simply a case of lack of caring which I say a lot of people seen to have these days.

Since the writers didn't get a chance to show him as a character they figure "oh well" but I feel that's more of the viewers not seeing the real value of him.
__________________
Dark Wing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 21:25   Link #54
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Age: 28
Some excellent atmosphere in this episode as the inevitable confrontation looms just over the horizon. I really feel like the music has been one of the best characters in the entire show, and this week was another example of that.

It's good that we get the opportunity to get a better read on Ridget finally, but I kind of wish we'd gotten some of that before she was thrust into the leadership role. Something more substantial than her taste in swimwear, for example.

As usual, Amy, Bevel and Ledo are the ones that really shine, and it was good to hear all of their motivations firmly stated, even if they've been hinted at before.

For the second time, it's stated that Amy "can't live" without Bevel. I deeply fear for that poor kid's chances.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 21:29   Link #55
BoyTitan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Buffalo,Newyork
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I don't really get the hate that Fairlock is receiving on this thread. Yeah, I understand that we've only known him for 8 episodes, however, we only came in near the end of his life. The Gargantians have known him his entire life. Of course his funeral procession is a big deal to them. And you guys want to hate on fact that someone important to them has died and they want to spend some time to pay their respects?

On another note, that's a pretty wicked lance/harpoon Ledo has created. I wonder how effective it will be. I guess we'll find out in the next episode.

Endless "Man the harpoons!" Soul
You are acting as if the characters are real it does not matter how a character views some one it matters how a character was presented to us the viewer and how we have came to know them.

Godard once said something along the lines of “It’s not where you take things from, it’s where you take them.” The bare bones of the plot is largely unimportant. What matters are the characters and what actions they take to resolve their problems. Essentially, if I knew who Fairlock or anyone else on the ship were, and could sympathize with them, I might give a shit. Unfortunately, their characterizations are flimsy and, as a result, their story could be anybody’s story.

The more fudged up thing is I copy and pasted gordards words from a blog for another anime why do animes continue to make the same mistake over and over and over again. Attack on titan that is how you make death meaningful every character has weight and development it is story telling not rocket sceince it should not be this hard.
__________________

Last edited by BoyTitan; 2013-05-27 at 00:40.
BoyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 21:31   Link #56
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Good comments this page. Thanks especially for the more positive comments.

So far, we haven't actually seen the Hideauze attack humans without first being attacked. I'm suspecting that the Hideauze are not a threat to humans, except in that they occupy places humans want to expand into.

Nor have we ever seen any indication that they can communicate with humans, or that they are intelligent, really. I look forward to at least learning something about them in the episodes to come.
__________________
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 21:45   Link #57
CJ_Walker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles, California
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I really feel this series doesn't know what it wants to be. They spend all this time doing random stuff, and building up characters that they've now essentially discarded. There aren't many episodes left, and they haven't gotten anywhere, so they can't afford to split remaining time between Ledo and Gargantia. And given how prominent Amy is in the OP/ED, you know everything's going to have to come full circle and end up back at Gargantia.

They spent almost the entirety of the episode on the funeral, which was touching and nice to see, but they didn't really build this character up enough to make his funeral have that much impact that any other character wouldn't have also been able to do.

I guess, in short, I've lost faith in this series. I tried to hang on after it seemed they were finally going to move the plot along, but it's obvious to me now that Urobuchi needed more hands-on time with this project. First and last episodes are not enough.
This sums it up right here. I did not think that the funeral would really last the whole damn episode. . .we only saw the guy like 4 or 5 times for like 5-6 minuets tops, all of that wasn't needed.

I'd be ok with it if this was a 24-26 ep series, but its like 12 or something like that, they are not going to finish the story/plot/tie up the lose ends in that amount of time without it being a trainwreck. The ball was dropped on this series and I no longer care about it anymore. This episode just put the nail in the coffin in it for me.

well, at least amy didn't tag along, and you KNOW pretty much everyone that left the gargantia is going to die except for ledo. . .for more predictable forced drama later, oh and we'll probably have to see the pirate queen get shoehorned in sometime later, probably as an ally against the giant Cthullu monsters(it would be really stupid if she was ANOTHER antagonist. . .who we don't care about at all).

Just sorely disappointed in this series, with GEN's name on it, pretty much about 65% of the way through this and the story is just way behind the amount of episodes this is.

I just should have dropped this mess of a show after the transvesite/fanservice episode.

Its crazy how episode 8's of different shows can be so different, ep 8 of attack on titan was the best of the year, maybe even the last couple of years. . .this show. . .no.

P.S. that last scene where Ridget let her hair down made me Cringe it was so bad/cliche.

Last edited by CJ_Walker; 2013-05-26 at 22:02.
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 21:47   Link #58
TimeSkip
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I like this episode - emotional conflics, uncertainty of the future when sudden changes hitting them hard. I'm glad that most votes are positive.

I've no problem with Fairlock's lacking screen time or backstory.

The funeral is not about how important Fairlock was, but rather how Gargantians are going to deal with his death and move on.
TimeSkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 22:03   Link #59
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I really feel this series doesn't know what it wants to be.
I wouldn't go that far, I'd say their problem is going at a 2-cour pace in a 1-cour show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Ridget simply suffers from Japanese anime culture that loves to portray women as needing help (though, to be fair, that humble humility is supposed to be a positive trait if I understand Japanese culture)
Pretty sure the message it was trying to convey was gender-neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Well, I suppose I'm in the minority, but I'm really enjoying this series so far.
*high-five*

Quote:
The fact that communicating with the alliance will take more than 6000 years is really very strange...

As it's been said it can only mean two things:

1) So much for subspace or quantum entanglement communication devices they are using the old styled radio signals. That means the Alliance is somewhere in the milky way. However if that was the case it simply didn't make any sense for Ledo or Chamber to expect an answer. They should have known that radio waves are slow as hell (astronomically speaking) and they are extremely inefficient for space communications. Stars are rarely closer than 2 or 3 light years. In the best possible scenario they couldn't expect a shorter waiting time.

2) They are using some kind of FTL communication system, but they are so far away from the alliance that it will still take 6k years to arrive. That would practically mean that the alliance is on a different galaxy entirely, which would make me wonder why did they need to go that far away. And it makes it even harder to understand how come they never found a single colonizable planet. Moreover Chamber said that to return home they need subspace travel, which means subspace travel would be fast enough, which in turns means that the communication system they use is significantly slower than subspace travel. This makes the option number 1 more likely to be true.
QE communication would be instantaneous, so it's not that. Also, the Alliance did not display any "subspace" capability, either for travel or communication purposes. Their method of FTL travel so far seems to be wormhole dependent, which can explain why they've had a hard time finding planets - the wormholes they've found/used simply haven't led them to a habitable planet.

On the other hand, if the Alliance is capable of creating their own wormhole...
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 22:15   Link #60
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
On the other hand, if the Alliance is capable of creating their own wormhole...
That's most likely that, else it would have been pointless for Kugel and Ledo to work hard to prevent the Hideauze from following them to a wormhole that would still remain there after they're gone. Moreover it wouldn't have made sense for Ledo to end on a completely different location.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.