AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Valvrave the Liberator

Notices

Old 2013-06-07, 10:10   Link #41
Key Board
Donut

They PROBABLY won't kill Shoko

why?

because of gender imbalance

The show has 2 central female characters at most.. 3 if you count A-Drei xd..

the male character influence is simply too strong right now, and Shoko is one of those character you need to prevent the show from being a complete sausage fest
Old 2013-06-07, 10:48   Link #42
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
the male character influence is simply too strong right now, and Shoko is one of those character you need to prevent the show from being a complete sausage fest
As my fujoshi friends say, that's all assuming they didn't intend it to be a sausage fest in the first place. It's the show with the biggest "BL bait" factor for a reason.

Or they can just have Liz replace her screentime after her death, as she is to L-Elf as Shoko is to Haruto (not to mention Liz is to Dorssia as Shoko is to JIOR). As such, character balance can be easily achieved as Shoko's Dorssian counterpart can replace her role in the grand scheme of things.

But otherwise, I agree in general; Shoko is not gonna die prematurely due to them already pulling the "OHMAIGOD Shoko is dead! Must get revenge!" card early on the series. Which to be honest I'm very relieved that they did that early, because them doing it a second time will have reduced emotional impact, and VVV seems like the show that prioritizes audience impact even if it means pulling the craziest plot twist there is.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 10:57   Link #43
Key Board
Donut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
As my fujoshi friends say, that's all assuming they didn't intend it to be a sausage fest in the first place. It's the show with the biggest "BL bait" factor for a reason.
I'm pretty sure that's the upcoming swimming anime called Free.

Still, I'd like to think that Sunrise doesn't want to alienate the non-fujoshi crowd too much
you know... the ones that actually buy the model kits..
but I could be wrong

and another reason why Shoko shouldn't die is she's L-Elf's only weakness. Without her, L-Elf's influence is unopposed.
Yes, not everyone trusts L-Elf. I really don't see people like Thunder obeying orders. He wants to get things done his way.
But all of that is still something L-Elf can handle
Now, Shoko is a wildcard.

The other wildcard is the VVV-AI but she's not an actual character.. yet..
Old 2013-06-07, 12:28   Link #44
bastek66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I'm pretty sure that's the upcoming swimming anime called Free.
Valvrave is also pandering to fujoshis, look at last two months megami and nyantype poster scans - no Valvrave. Even Shingeki get one.
Old 2013-06-07, 13:56   Link #45
Key Board
Donut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Valvrave is also pandering to fujoshis, look at last two months megami and nyantype poster scans - no Valvrave. Even Shingeki get one.
yeah, but like Shingeki it's pandering to other things other than fujoshi

that's my point
Old 2013-06-07, 14:39   Link #46
iCK

If no one said this, i believe the sensei soldier is going to die, the girl vice commander in DORSIA is going to die
iCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 15:43   Link #47
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

I hope Shoko doesn't die "again", because it would be:

1. Repetetive
2. I had enough "going psycho because girl died" from a certain other show where the MC gets supernatural powers suddenly and where later on the school becomes more or less "independant".
Old 2013-06-07, 17:50   Link #48
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I earlier wrote that Satomi or Takahi would probably be the next one to die.

Slight revision given the latest episode - Satomi is definitely the most likely next one to die, but I think Takahi might be safe now.

They've found a new role for Takahi as one of those bridge control operators. I can see Takahi filling that role for the rest of the first season. It's a decent role for her (she'll get the odd bit of dialogue in that role), and at this juncture her dying would probably only have truly significant impact on Satomi. In other words, she probably has more plot usefulness alive than dead.

Satomi, OTOH, is increasingly superfluous. He's also on the bridge, but he comes off as a 2nd in Command that the real guy in Command (L-Elf) has no time for. If Satomi dies, it could be the catalyst for good character development for Takahi and Akira.
Old 2013-06-08, 11:16   Link #49
NeutralZero

Kriemhild or whatever her name is might die sooner that later...
Her getting more suspicious of cain a supposed mid boss or last boss depending on how things turn out is like knocking on the gates of hell...

Last edited by NeutralZero; 2013-06-09 at 09:11. Reason: minor correction...
NeutralZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 19:00   Link #50
Winterson
Wrath of Her Fury

So I was talking to my other self. Yo! Florian if Shouko dies, the new heroine in season 2 is Akira. Believe it or not, L Elf and Shouko are so far the most interesting characters and Haruto and Saki are the intriguing ones. I hate characters being killed to serve as some sort of energy source especially when it's a main character and someone I really like.
Old 2013-06-10, 19:50   Link #51
Traece
:cool:

OK. There seems to be some issues in the episode thread, and so I think it's necessary for me to put a little bit of precedent here.

Let's take the Shoko character for a wild set of examples.

Several episode down the line if Shoko were to die in a large event, it would have repercussions for the independent module. Her death wouldn't be some trivial thing. It would be a "tragedy." Something with big enough impact to cause a shift in the mission of the independents and cause them to go as far as becoming revenge-obsessed warmongers. There's an anime that, in a sense, covers this precedent: GC.

Someone also mentioned the possibility of Shoko merely dying of old age in a timeskip sort of event. Honestly, I think that's actually both possible and clever. It would provide valid explanation for the future plot just like any other method of Shoko death.

The fact of the matter is, in situations like this a character dies for a reason. You don't just kill off people with names for fun. Valvrave already uses character deaths as a catalyst to make major influences to the plot. In fact, they used two characters deaths simultaneously to enact one such change. We now have two additional pilots who were motivated by death.

In a way, this series has had a lot of dependence on this theme thus far. Not only has death been used to make major changes in this series, but the fear of death has been a major issue as well. That fear of murderous rampages is rapidly coming to the foreground for Haruto, and the other pilots as well (more than likely). What's a likely event to happen? Haruto eventually kills someone, and stuff changes.

I'm not saying I want any characters to die. The possibility exists, however, that there are characters whose deaths can be used as strong plot devices. Out of all of them, Shoko is the broadest-reaching target. Beyond the scope of her role, the dialogue from the future segment is extremely lending to the death of Shoko or Haruto. Both of these characters strike me as the most likely to make a demand as a dying wish, for the greater good of the Valvrave pilots.
Old 2013-06-10, 21:36   Link #52
Irenesharda

I know Shouko has some very die-hard fans, and I like her just fine. However, as some have said already, I don't see her as untouchable.

I never forget that this is a Sunrise or a mecha series and those shows in that genre have set a precedent and so I will expect certain tropes to be here in Valvrave as well. Whether Shouko dies or not, would impact the story to a strong degree and would change the course of the story.

Yes, she had her "death" in the beginning. But I've seen many a plot that uses the red herring of a "death" in the beginning of the story, so that no one will suspect the total tragedy of the real death scene at the climax of the story, and it will get more emotional impact. It is of note that after Shouko's "death", she has gotten to talk to and know every VVV pilot (and potential pilot) to some degree. She has become quite a fixture in their lives. With her gone, it would be a huge blow to all of them, and whether they decide to fight because of her death or for other reasons, her death will affect everything and change the entire game.

So, do I think Shouko could potentially die either from being killed or old age? I think it is very likely, even though it would be a tragedy to lose her character.

Do I think it will impact the plot? Greatly. It will affect all characters from the top MCs down, and will impact the audience quite a bit, especially those who have gotten to really like her breath-of-fresh-air, if eccentric, character.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 22:34   Link #53
~BC~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Or they can just have Liz replace her screentime after her death, as she is to L-Elf as Shoko is to Haruto (not to mention Liz is to Dorssia as Shoko is to JIOR). As such, character balance can be easily achieved as Shoko's Dorssian counterpart can replace her role in the grand scheme of things.
I was thinking of this as a possibility as well but now I'm thinking it may not be that easy. Especially if both are used to represent the political viewpoints of their respective countries. In that event, it seems way too soon to kill off Shoko who has yet to make any impact on the political world stage.

I don't doubt that they can still kill Shoko off, I just question the wisdom of doing so with so much left unexplored (relationship and plotwise). And they've already beaten the "loved one dies and anger ensues" plot point to death for the time being. Surely the writers can think of other ways to motivate the characters.
~BC~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 23:06   Link #54
Destined_Fate

Anyone can potentially die but Saki ATM, Shoko dying again would be less impactful than say someone else who hasn't died already actually dying.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 23:28   Link #55
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Anyone can potentially die but Saki ATM, Shoko dying again would be less impactful than say someone else who hasn't died already actually dying.
Shoko never died publicly. She died privately.

She also wasn't a leader, nor a far-reaching beacon of hope for the students.

At the time it was a quiet little tragedy that affected some people. Right now, it would effect everyone.
Old 2013-06-10, 23:32   Link #56
DevilHighDxD
I <3 u SAKI!

Liz will die for the sake of Shoko x L-Elf, L-Elf bsod and than Shoko comfort him. She is a support character and is piling on death flag.
DevilHighDxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 00:03   Link #57
Winged_Memories
Mi Corazon

Well if Shouko does end up dead like literally OFFICIALLY DEAD at some point either towards the end of this season or the start of next season then it would have been a complete waste in putting her in the OP and ED together with Saki...I'm completely obsessed with Mecha anime and I've learnt to take notice of what the producers put in the OP and ED they can tell you alot or at least hint at something...I don't entirely believe she will die and that doesn't mean I don't doubt my instincts but what episode are we at, like Ep 10??!! I think if they wanted to kill her off completely they probably would have already done so...I think there is more to Shouko than what we give her credit for...I mean she's placed right there next to the two main, main characters (Haruto & L-ELF)...in the opening she is placed together with Saki (somewhat asleep...maybe?) and then at the end she's with Saki again...so I think she'll at most be taken far away from Haruto and the gang or placed in a deep slumber (not dead)...she probably sacrifices her self knowing her attitude...but who knows the producers could turn around and in the end kill everyone or turn them all into vampires lol
Winged_Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 00:42   Link #58
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZero View Post
Kriemhild or whatever her name is might die sooner that later...
Her getting more suspicious of cain a supposed mid boss or last boss depending on how things turn out is like knocking on the gates of hell...
Unless she gets vampirized into his minion...
Old 2013-06-11, 00:59   Link #59
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winged_Memories View Post
*snip*
Because there are no mechas that are known for killing off major character half-way through the series.

And certainly none made by Sunrise!

This is part of why this prediction is so popular. Sunrise itself loves to flesh out a side character and then kill it off. Then they use that character for either a local or larger motivation. At the end of the day, Shoko is NOT a main character. She's a character that is important, and very relevant to the story, but she's still very expendable.
Old 2013-06-11, 01:06   Link #60
~BC~

Have you not seen the promotional material for this show? Shoko is very much considered one of the main characters; along with Haruto, L-Elf, and Saki.
~BC~ is offline   Reply With Quote