AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

View Poll Results: Suisei no Gargantia - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 56 43.75%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 41 32.03%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 17.19%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.78%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.34%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-06-02, 14:47   Link #61
Key Board
Donut
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
And... Chamber has now used a considerable amount of its energy reserve. There is some fudge factor there in whether they mean combat-usage power or total power, but certainly enough was expended in the whalesquid melee that Chekhov's Gun is fully-loaded.
Chamber advised in one scene for them to retreat and recharge, suggesting that it's possible to do so
__________________
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 14:49   Link #62
Funkatron
King of the Castle
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
Send a message via Skype™ to Funkatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Chamber advised in one scene for them to retreat and recharge, suggesting that it's possible to do so
They probably recharge the same way the Gargantia ships do
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 14:52   Link #63
hai_san
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Holy shit holy shit... Gen has done it again!!! Shocking revelation...

NOW SnG is really INTERESTING!

Chamber Final Boss? Bets anyone?
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 14:54   Link #64
AntonKutovoi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Vladimir, Russia
Age: 21
What can I say? UROBUTCHER!!!!
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 14:57   Link #65
mikeomni
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Without first inviting them to get the hell out? Count me out of that, especially if they aren't bearing weapons and they aren't showing an aggressive behavior.

That kind of response is justifiable for an animal not for a sentient being. You don't kill someone just because he intruded.
At least not in civilized countries...
This presumes that communication works. Pinion did get many eyefuls of whalesquid before they were attacked. A long time ago in Texas, a Japanese boy got shot because he entered the wrong house for a party. The father who shot him apparently didn't understand he was non-threatening. Aside from this, would a forklift driving through your nursery count as non-threatening? There was a yellow yunburo on the lower left side where Ledo was busy cooking the larva.
mikeomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 15:01   Link #66
Gundamx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
it will be a lot more interested if chamber didn't kill that Hideuze...
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 15:05   Link #67
Haak
Watching Ookami Shoujo...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Oh God that was utterly brutal. What a real Wham episode that shakes things up considerably, both for the plot and for poor Ledo.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 15:05   Link #68
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan21 View Post
Not worth it.

I, and I would suspect most of humanity, would rather die on our backwater planet than become spaceslugs
The body modification is disturbing, but I could get used to the idea. What I couldn't give up, though, is civilization. Intelligence, building things... Being more than a colony of ants. Or space squids, whatever.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 15:05   Link #69
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeomni View Post
This presumes that communication works. Pinion did get many eyefuls of whalesquid before they were attacked. A long time ago in Texas, a Japanese boy got shot because he entered the wrong house for a party. The father who shot him apparently didn't understand he was non-threatening. Aside from this, would a forklift driving through your nursery count as non-threatening? There was a yellow yunburo on the lower left side where Ledo was busy cooking the larva.
I knew that someone would mention "texas" as soon as I made that remark. But I think your example proves my point actually. You can't jump on your gun for anyone that simply trespass your borders because there is the possibility that that person might not have bad intentions.

As for what concerns communication "get the hell out" is a message that can be conveyed easily among different species. Dogs are known to be able to do that even if they aren't gifted with our vocabulary.
This is reinforced by the fact that Pinion's brother quite apparently got the message. If he disregarded it though, then the whalesquid could be justifiable, but why would he if he told his brother to escape?
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 15:07   Link #70
Tranhieu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Foreshadowing much eh?


Ok I will be honest, I can't count how many time I shouted wtf throughout this episode. This kind of twist isn't that new especially the memories from the last season are still fresh (shin sekai yori). But seeing how it's played out again really surprised me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post

The only true surprise here, for me at least, is the fact that it went absolutely smoothly for Ledo and Pinion. It appears that these Hideauze are extremely less dangerous than the spacefaring counterparts, both from fighting capabilities and from intelligence (since supposedly they aren't actually merged with humans).
I suppose they are leftover prototypes of the old experimented whalesquids, not the 'official' version. As hinted in the video the Evolver's final goal is to launch all the squid-man into space, not to let them dwell in Earth's frozen oceans.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
The Hideauze that Chamber squished, however, seemed different, with more distinguishable features. The strange fact is that it looked identical to "Elaine Matsumoto" which is supposed to be a human mixed with a symbiont. So what was that? Could it be that it was that Elaine Matsumoto since it is implied that the evolvers can live a lot longer than humans?
Hardly the case imo. Assuming that was actually 'her' there's noway 'she' would walk right in front of Chamber after witnessing how 'her' colleagues got massacred by him if there was any bit of intelligence left.
Tranhieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 15:12   Link #71
Funkatron
King of the Castle
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
Send a message via Skype™ to Funkatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranhieu View Post
Foreshadowing much eh?


Ok I will be honest, I can't count how many time I shouted wtf throughout this episode. This kind of twist isn't that new especially the memories from the last season are still fresh (shin sekai yori). But seeing how it's played out again really surprised me.



I suppose they are leftover prototypes of the old experimented whalesquids, not the 'official' version. As hinted in the video the Evolver's final goal is to launch all the squid-man into space, not to let them dwell in Earth's frozen oceans.


Hardly the case imo. Assuming that was actually 'her' there's noway 'she' would walk right in front of Chamber after witnessing how 'her' colleagues got massacred by him if there was any bit of intelligence left.
She looked like a young squid to me ie didn't know any better.

The Hideauze, from what I've gathered, are humans + symbiotic bio suit to create a new species. The whalesquid eggs have human-esque embryos so I'm assuming they were human a long time ago
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 15:17   Link #72
mikeomni
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I knew that someone would mention "texas" as soon as I made that remark. But I think your example proves my point actually. You can't jump on your gun for anyone that simply trespass your borders because there is the possibility that that person might not have bad intentions.

As for what concerns communication "get the hell out" is a message that can be conveyed easily among different species. Dogs are known to be able to do that even if they aren't gifted with our vocabulary.
This is reinforced by the fact that Pinion's brother quite apparently got the message. If he disregarded it though, then the whalesquid could be justifiable, but why would he if he told his brother to escape?
Touche on Texas and civilized countries. :-) I would like to submit that perhaps the bottom of the ocean doesn't have the same kind of civil norms. In Japan the place where they keep the shoes isn't considered a private part of the house. So it may be okay to open the door and stand there asking if anyone is home. Not the same in the USA. In this case someone was obviously home and he stumbled into a nursery ... maybe about to get into a horrendous accident involving squishy babies and metal feet. They didn't exactly show how the brother was acting inside. But you can see Larva all around his Yunboro when Ledo got past the massive Whalesquid. Given, maybe he got moved there later.

In many cultures, getting eyed as you're moving through a neighborhood is a message "get the hell out." Now if you actually enter a house, that's an escalation.
mikeomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 15:18   Link #73
Tranhieu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post
She looked like a young squid to me ie didn't know any better.

The Hideauze, from what I've gathered, are humans + symbiotic bio suit to create a new species. The whalesquid eggs have human-esque embryos so I'm assuming they were human a long time ago
But it should have been hundreds, or maybe thousands of years after that experiment was carried out on her right (how long was the last Ice Age)? I wouldn't believe she hadn't grown much bigger after that much time has passed. Maybe they just put another similar kid-squid there for the sake of causing sensation.
Tranhieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 15:23   Link #74
Funkatron
King of the Castle
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
Send a message via Skype™ to Funkatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranhieu View Post
But it should have been hundreds, or maybe thousands of years after that experiment was carried out on her right (how long was the last Ice Age)? I wouldn't believe she hadn't grown much bigger after that much time has passed. Maybe they just put another similar kid-squid there for the sake of causing sensation.
I wasn't saying it was the same one we saw in the video.

My theory is that baby whalesquid are born looking humanoid and as they grow up their outer squid 'suit' develops and they look less and less human ie they begin swimming 'feet' first, etc

Also, having a young squid look more human drives home the point that "ZOMG, squidlent green is peoplez!" and makes it more heart wrenching when Chamber kills it
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 15:28   Link #75
oompa loompa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 28 37', North ; 77 13', East
Age: 24
SO... looks like SnG is finally going somewhere. Too bad though, I liked the idea of them being aliens better.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 15:31   Link #76
DuelGundam2099
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Well I just watched the episode (BTW thanks for spoiling guys. ) and it was awesome! It had both action and back story, definitely a step up from the stuff we've been getting lately. Not sure why a bunch of news broadcasts edited together would be among the data files though, I don't know, I just found that as odd. I also wonder if that wormhole device mentioned will be in any use in the upcoming episodes.
__________________

I will return one day, I promise that much.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 15:32   Link #77
Tranhieu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post
I wasn't saying it was the same one we saw in the video.

My theory is that baby whalesquid are born looking humanoid and as they grow up their outer squid 'suit' develops and they look less and less human ie they begin swimming 'feet' first, etc

Also, having a young squid look more human drives home the point that "ZOMG, squidlent green is peoplez!" and makes it more heart wrenching when Chamber kills it
Sorry I wasn't reading your post properly.

The little squid actually succeeded in driving Ledo mad, something 'her' adults couldn't do.
Tranhieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 15:49   Link #78
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranhieu View Post
Sorry I wasn't reading your post properly.

The little squid actually succeeded in driving Ledo mad, something 'her' adults couldn't do.
It's all because she actually looked kinda cute. This is basically human's attitude towards other animals in a nutshell

Is it cute? If you harm it you're a bastard!
Is it ugly? Argh! Kill it! Kill it!
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 15:50   Link #79
mikeomni
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
Well I just watched the episode (BTW thanks for spoiling guys. ) and it was awesome! It had both action and back story, definitely a step up from the stuff we've been getting lately. Not sure why a bunch of news broadcasts edited together would be among the data files though, I don't know, I just found that as odd. I also wonder if that wormhole device mentioned will be in any use in the upcoming episodes.
The news report edits was probably to make it easier to the audience to react to killing the juvenile. What is disturbing is how Chamber still carried out the extermination when Ledo ordered it to stop. The MC had the squid immobilized. If the disobedience was deliberate then we've got problems down the line. If the action was followed through because the activation could no longer be cancelled that's something else, but doubtful when you've had a full second between Ledo's shout and the zap.

As for the wormhole device, it's hard to tell. So far the pirates have been a 'red herring' from a threat perspective.
mikeomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 15:51   Link #80
itoastmysocks
Rabbit Flavored Socks YUM
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vienna/Austria
Age: 31
so.. is it just me or does it seem like, humans and hideazu staying behind on earth being to convenient to be a coincidence. That scene where that human touched that squid girl, seemed like.. hey I don#t wanna leave with the rest, hm me neither, lets stay together. I am sure others though the same way, and they formed the basis of the current civilisation, and then tried to unfreeze the earth, kinda would go along as to why some of the humans would consider the squids sacred.

or I might just be reading to much into everything once again xD
itoastmysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.