AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Valvrave the Liberator

Notices

View Poll Results: Valvrave the Liberator - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 53 39.26%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 21.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 15.56%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 5.93%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 5.19%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.48%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.74%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.48%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.74%
1 out of 10 : Painful 11 8.15%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-06-15, 01:54   Link #421
KleenexGhost
Measure Feeling Match
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sunriseland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Divine Vessel? Avatar?
Heavenly Spirit? Holy Spirit? Can't remember which one the subs use off the top of my head.
__________________
"Do not pretend. Retribution for forgiveness, betrayal for trust, despair for hope, darkness for light, dark death for the living." - Kirei Kotomine
KleenexGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 02:11   Link #422
Irenesharda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diveman View Post
I'm getting the feeling that massive deaths are coming because of everyone making their wishes. Also what was the point of the rape? not in the sense of why was it needed for the show, but more like why was Haruto forced to do that instead of just possesing people?

Maybe as a Valvrave pilot he has to procreate so that more pilots can be born?
I think it has to do with the "reproduction of the race" Cain was talking about. Also with the fact that Saki was the only female Magius on the Module. Everyone else is either human or male Magius. Notice that with everyone else, Haruto is mostly attempting to bite their necks, not tear their clothes off, even with Takahi.

And Saki was the only one with which his eyes turned red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
Heavenly Spirit? Holy Spirit? Can't remember which one the subs use off the top of my head.
I know ggsubs refers to them as "holy spirits", though that idea has been totally tossed out the window now...
__________________
"Someone who cannot forgive lies or secrets, will never trust another."

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 03:50   Link #423
Haak
CAKE!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
That was an utterly incredible twist at the end and I just can't hate on it because I have to admit that it was very well set up. The hints were there. I was even thinking back on those now obvious hints as I saw it happening and all i could think of was just "Wow Valvrave, I tip my hat to you sir. You've had me there". Although in hindsight, I suppose there are unfortunate implications in making rape a clever twist...

Feel bad for both Haruto and Saki. Whether or not it was consensual, Saki clearly didn't enjoy it and i got the feeling that even if she did consent to it then she only did it because she thought she had to and that's practically as bad as rape. Can't really blame Haruto for it since he obviously didn't want it to happen and was being controlled. The blame ultimately lies with those that created the Valvampirism.

I'm also glad that this episode clarified one thing: Shoko's methods of emotion of over reasoning are probably not going to win out in the end. I just hope the show isn't too cruel to her as a result.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 03:53   Link #424
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
No, it's not. A significant number of Fall 2012 anime shows had rape in it (off the top of my head I recall Psycho-Pass, Zetsuen no Tempest, and BTOOOM!, but there were probably more). This season, we have all three mecha shows with it (or at least the threat of it), as RubbyRedWolf pointed out.
I don't remember any rape in ZnT, and as for PP - sad as it was, it didn't happen to the main cast.

I haven't watched BTOOOM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
You keep saying it's about losing his humanity and him losing something. Does that suddenly make the use of rape here good writing?



You actually want me to explain to you how this is not realistic? Seriously?
That's rather like watching a werewolf or zombie flick and complaining the cannibalism isn't realistic. While true, it misses the point. Heck, you want unrealistic, how about the way the VVV was able to push module 77 without breaking it?

Besides, VCV is right - Haruto sacrificed his humanity. For it to mean something, he pretty much had to murder or rape someone. They went with rape. Why not? Especially as it ties to other aspects of the story.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 06:25   Link #425
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That's rather like watching a werewolf or zombie flick and complaining the cannibalism isn't realistic. While true, it misses the point. Heck, you want unrealistic, how about the way the VVV was able to push module 77 without breaking it?

Besides, VCV is right - Haruto sacrificed his humanity. For it to mean something, he pretty much had to murder or rape someone. They went with rape. Why not? Especially as it ties to other aspects of the story.
I never said I am looking for realism in Valvrave itself but when you bring rape into the equation well that is a different story.

Why should I have expected rape in this story? This series hasn't been serious at all up to this point. In fact I have been constantly told we shouldn't take it seriously and the writers are in on the joke. Well there is nothing funny about this.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 06:28   Link #426
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

Besides, VCV is right - Haruto sacrificed his humanity. For it to mean something, he pretty much had to murder or rape someone.
No, he didn't. So no, you and VCV aren't right about this.

In Haruto's own mind, it had already cost him a possible romance with Shoko. It also means he goes completely crazy every now and then, trying to bite people. That's a very significant cost right there, imo. There's no need to add anything on to it.

It's fine if you like the rape plot twist, but let's not pretend it was needed, because it wasn't.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 06:33   Link #427
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
No, he didn't. So no, you and VCV aren't right about this.

In Haruto's own mind, it had already cost him a possible romance with Shoko. It also means he goes completely crazy every now and then, trying to bite people. That's a very significant cost right there, imo. There's no need to add anything on to it.

It's fine if you like the rape plot twist, but let's not pretend it was needed, because it wasn't.
I agree. There are plenty of other ways to do any one event, and this is merely one of the options. Although admittedly they made an interesting observation about rape being surprisingly common in the last year or so. I hadn't really thought about it, to be honest.

Honestly, I think the whole concept is rather shallow in itself. I'm sure there's a grand meaning to it, but I can't help but find it odd that Sunrise has decided to craft a plot based around space vampire rape.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 06:48   Link #428
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I never said I am looking for realism in Valvrave itself but when you bring rape into the equation well that is a different story.

Why should I have expected rape in this story? This series hasn't been serious at all up to this point. In fact I have been constantly told we shouldn't take it seriously and the writers are in on the joke. Well there is nothing funny about this.
Well, it could have been murder. Aina already died, so you couldn't have complained death came completely out of the blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
No, he didn't. So no, you and VCV aren't right about this.

In Haruto's own mind, it had already cost him a possible romance with Shoko.
Except everyone at the time agreed it was, indeed, just in his own mind, instead of something with a bit more reality to it. And it was looking like he was starting to get over it.

Quote:
It also means he goes completely crazy every now and then, trying to bite people.
Inconvenient to be sure, but if he'd just needed to hijack someone's body once in a while, it wouldn't have been so bad. To the point I wonder why they didn't find a volunteer and get it over with much earlier. Unless they just like hitting him or something.

Quote:
That's a very significant cost right there, imo. There's no need to add anything on to it.
It's manageable, or looked like it was. Saki stole his body for a while, and it wasn't a big deal.

Quote:
It's fine if you like the rape plot twist, but let's not pretend it was needed, because it wasn't.
Rape or homicide. Pick one.

Or some insidious loss of emotion and attachment to human beings, but that'd have been a completely different direction.

Or, yes, they could have kept treating the resignation from humanity as completely meaningless.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 07:06   Link #429
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

Or, yes, they could have kept treating the resignation from humanity as completely meaningless.
Personally, I always took his newfound immortality as being the meaningful representation of his "resignation from humanity".

Many a sci-fi show (including the likes of Star Trek) have argued that mortality is an essential part of being human. Many a sci-fi show have argued that immortality is a bad thing, it should be noted.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 07:15   Link #430
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Personally, I always took his newfound immortality as being the meaningful representation of his "resignation from humanity".

Many a sci-fi show (including the likes of Star Trek) have argued that mortality is an essential part of being human. Many a sci-fi show have argued that immortality is a bad thing, it should be noted.
Lets not forget Madoka which was able to use the loss of humanity without murder and/or rape.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 07:20   Link #431
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Personally, I always took his newfound immortality as being the meaningful representation of his "resignation from humanity".

Many a sci-fi show (including the likes of Star Trek) have argued that mortality is an essential part of being human. Many a sci-fi show have argued that immortality is a bad thing, it should be noted.
The "immortality is bad for the sake of it" shows always fail. They always end up with some crazy excuse about someone being imprisoned and suffer forever. Further, note that it is mostly Western. Asia never had that problem, immortality has always been a good thing there. Probably because there wasn't a religion promising a guaranteed better life after death.

The anti-immortality movement is just a defence mechanism, to lie to one self about how the inevitable isn't too bad. I silly find it silly that the Bicentennial Man film ended with the message that a kind robot committed suicide because death was the only way he could be legally accepted as a human-being. That a mortal is SUPERIOR to an Immortal. And so a robot who served humanity unquestionable all his life gave himself a lethal injection. Because humans told him he had to, to be one of them.

Look, back on topic, Immortality in VVV IS actually a bad thing, but not because of the immortality. Specifically, with Haruto he had to pay the price of obeying VVV-tan. And since he lives forever he would be a slave forever. This is not the fault of the immortality, but the fault of the price he had to pay to get it. If you want to play the immortality as a curse card, you are watching the wrong show. Indeed, if you want immortality to be bad, don't watch anything made in Asia.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 07:22   Link #432
Moe Connection
Basileus Basileōn
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Someone seriously needs to sabotage that AI.
__________________
Moe Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 07:25   Link #433
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Immortality has NOT always been shown as a positive thing in Asian media. Clearly someone has never read Mermaid's Saga.

Natsume Yuujinchou also has a story focused on the drawbacks of immortality
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 07:27   Link #434
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Lets not forget Madoka which was able to use the loss of humanity without murder and/or rape.
Spoiler for Madoka Magica:
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 07:33   Link #435
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Spoiler for Madoka Magica:
The concept of "loss of humanity" happens well before that twist in Madoka.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 07:39   Link #436
KleenexGhost
Measure Feeling Match
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sunriseland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I think it has to do with the "reproduction of the race" Cain was talking about. Also with the fact that Saki was the only female Magius on the Module. Everyone else is either human or male Magius. Notice that with everyone else, Haruto is mostly attempting to bite their necks, not tear their clothes off, even with Takahi.

And Saki was the only one with which his eyes turned red.
Some people on the TvTropes forums have been throwing around the theory that Haruto's condition got that extreme because he didn't bite anyone for a while.

Kinda reminds me of what happens in vampire media when one doesn't feed for a while and goes berserk.
__________________
"Do not pretend. Retribution for forgiveness, betrayal for trust, despair for hope, darkness for light, dark death for the living." - Kirei Kotomine
KleenexGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 07:43   Link #437
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
The concept of "loss of humanity" happens well before that twist in Madoka.
And, as with Haruto, the problem was mostly in the head of a character.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 07:45   Link #438
NeutralZero
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Earth
That's the most likely explanation to his action or OS-tan's action...
after living with L-Elf's and he's been so kind to not let Haruto bite him... or have his meal...

another added factor will be Haruto himself since he isn't aware of the feeding system... there's been no body jacking since the death of megane and he has no reason to jack someone else...

Saki's offer to have Haruto bite her might be the best option but the offer was done way too late...
also Saki did prevent Haruto from biting the Takahi in the elevator, that time his eyes were not yet red so he'll probably just bite her off... a really ironic karma...
NeutralZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 07:47   Link #439
Winterson
Wrath of Her Fury
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Earth's last post of defense
Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
Some people on the TvTropes forums have been throwing around the theory that Haruto's condition got that extreme because he didn't bite anyone for a while.

Kinda reminds me of what happens in vampire media when one doesn't feed for a while and goes berserk.
If only true blood exists, maybe, maybe, maybe. . . .
__________________
WORDS ARE JUST WORDS UNLESS YOU PUT MEANING INTO IT.
Winterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 07:55   Link #440
KleenexGhost
Measure Feeling Match
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sunriseland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterson View Post
If only true blood exists, maybe, maybe, maybe. . . .
Oh God, now I'm thinking of Haruto with Bill's voice
__________________
"Do not pretend. Retribution for forgiveness, betrayal for trust, despair for hope, darkness for light, dark death for the living." - Kirei Kotomine
KleenexGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.